As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hades] is King of the Scythe and the Sword

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    Has anyone progressed the orpheus/euc questline yet? I got to give both of them another nectar, which maxed them out to the 'keyhole' heart, but have had several runs since and seen no movement on the quest.
    Some things said by hades/nyx and the opening of the administration door probably means i will get the option to go into the room, find his contract and destroy it, but I'm wondering if there is a trigger im missing. every time i return, i check out every room, talk to everyone.

The contractor unlocks it for 3 diamonds. Dunno if there's an actual requirement to make it appear in their menu.

I've unlocked it, but there's nothing to do inside the chamber except look through the permanent record

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    at the moment yes, but i expect the trigger once you have met certain conditions is a bit random. it probably makes you trigger all the conversations that have to do with the event before it will become available on top of having the affection meter maxed with the involved parties. Like the availability to free orpheus originally just appeared, same with the sysiphus several runs after hades mentioned something about buying his contract.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Poseidon sword builds can be so busted, and this one was certainly no exception:
    cb6OLX5.jpg

Just unleashing 12 exploding Athena casts for massive damage, then doing one special to get them all back and repeat

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I've had a bunch of Orpheus-related events but no actual work order yet

I got Nyx's work order for 8,888 darkness though

Jesus Nyx, hope you enjoy your special time with mom... dad... them?

shit... well at least you can always just respec the mirror at the cost of a key and get all your darkness pack. i maxed out all but the fate options but don't think ill use a bunch of them.

I only ever use them when it's a key or I'm going to the chambers. The first because I don't really need keys anymore and they just grant me a fate change anyway. The second to try and get a few extra boons.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I beat Hades with fists in 2 runs now.

Focusing on Attack Chaos boons, Artemis, Hermes and Athena trivializes runs, at least at low Heat levels.

Just a constant barrage of ORAORAORAORAORA

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The homing kick becomes devastating with Poseidon's boons during most encounters. I stumbled in to the combination and literally flip kicked my way through the game.

Unfortunately since waves don't affect bosses it's not as great there.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I beat Hades with fists in 2 runs now.

Focusing on Attack Chaos boons, Artemis, Hermes and Athena trivializes runs, at least at low Heat levels.

Just a constant barrage of ORAORAORAORAORA

The fists are definately getting nerfed. I'm getting all the heats done i can before that happens.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I got this! I havent quite beaten the final boss yet, but i got 'em down to half health. Not bad for 6 hours of play time total, i think! That was a fun run - Artemis, Athena and Dionysus. Athena Dodge is real nice, if only i'd had Athena Attacks. Parry for days! I did get the Artemis/Athena duo though, i liiiike that.

Edit: Made it to hades again. Still havent beaten him - figuring out how to get enough damage on things seems important TM. Mirror upgrades are coming along nicely though - i need another 30 keys before i can upgrade mine further, but it's otherwise nearly maxed out (Just missing +1 death defiance)

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Successfully thumped the final boss.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Funny enough, I was at a bit of a final boss roadblock using the sword. I switched to gloves, failed to kill it, then I switched back to sword cause it had a darkness bonus and won.
    So now the gloves are the only weapon I haven’t cleared with yet.

And thumped the final boss again, this time with Heat.

Not sure what i think about the heat system yet - i'm all for added challenge, but some of ti seems like the sort of added challenge i dislike (taking away options from the player)

Anyway, going live to stream some Hades on twitch. Come and join!

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    And thumped the final boss again, this time with Heat.

Not sure what i think about the heat system yet - i'm all for added challenge, but some of ti seems like the sort of added challenge i dislike (taking away options from the player)

Anyway, going live to stream some Hades on twitch. Come and join!

this was a pretty interesting guide to the different pact options and which to start with. it's a bit out of date, but not bad
    https://youtu.be/irbEuFYbZPA

the three I'm using most right now are whatever combination of Forced Overtime, Benefits Package, and Convenience Fee add up to my target heat level.

The extra enemy speed from Forced Overtime is jarring at first, but once you get used to it that's an easy 6 heat right there. Benefits Package is actually kind of fun, it mixes things up a bit. Convenience Fee is a minor inconvenience if you play around it - I avoid/reroll all Coin rooms as much as I can and avoid all shops unless I have to, and just save all the gold I do get for Styx.

UnbrokenEva on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Extreme Measures is also a solid investment for easy heat levels. You will need to get used to the new boss patterns but it's not super terrible. (Theseus with EM is hilarious too)

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah I use Extreme Measures and Middle Management as a baseline for heat, and depending on the weapon I’m using, Jury Summons can even be an advantage.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's several heat options on the, once ever for the prophecy clear, then never again, list for me.

steam_sig.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Limiting my boon choices or making me sacrifice a potentially good one is up there in terms of ones I never want to take.

The old mirror limiting heat option was also horrifically bad. It immediately limited the number of death defiances you had per run, as well as a bunch of other really essential things you need. All for 1 heat!

joshofalltrades on
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Finally put the nail in the last boss. Aspect of Arthur all day, kids.

Festive Fog with both Demeter and Zeus pitching in on side-effects didn't hurt either.

Now to see what this heat thing is all about.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Late to the party on this one, but damn this game is great! I got a little bored partway through both Bastion and Transistor, and the sports one didn't interest me, but the mechanics and reward system on this one have got me hooked!

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Where do I start learning how to play this? I made it through two "bosses" with the sword - trying other weapons I kind of suck. How do I not die and learn which boons are good and what else to do?

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Just keep trying new things? Like, if you look through the thread, I'm sure you'll note a bunch of people saying their preferred weapons and boons, but I'm also sure that many of those opinions conflict with one another - it seems to be a matter of personal taste.

Alternately, you don't get good by learning to use weapons, you get good by giving gifts to Achilles.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I have been enjoying myself, even if that bone hydra is a son of a bitch.

I didn’t get very far in general until I’d made significant progress on the mirror.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    I didn’t get very far in general until I’d made significant progress on the mirror.

Oh yeah, the beginning part is all darkness shards and keys.

So the Demeter/Posideon duo cast is super powerful. I was so close to beating the final boss.

edited May 2020
    Demeter in general is pretty silly - Chill is a good debuff, it's easy to turn it into a damage adder, and it's easy to get the mirror bonus for two debuffs with her as one of oyur main gotos. Obviosuly she plays really well with fast hitting weapons. Her duo boons are also really strong - Cold Fusion for example is nuttty. Ice Wine is also really good, partly because it removes the arc from Dionysus''s cast, making it instant instead.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Chill is so good

Also re getting better you just keep playing and taking everything so you see what you like

2x39jD4.jpg
    I like picking Demeter because she's the queen of withering commentary.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Up to double-digit total clears now and I've found I can be competent with any weapon except the spear. Something about the spear just does not click with me.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Spear is good two ways: specializing heavily on dash-strikes (the thing has an amazing dash-strike hitbox) or specializing heavily on the throw (ideally with the 7-bounce or exploding toss)

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Oh, I'm sure part of the issue is that I am generally not looking for solid builds, but am trying to clean out the god-related quests while collecting as much nectar as possible.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Spear has been the way I've got to the final boss twice.

Strange how play differs - I'm good with all melee stuff, but bow/rail are still to be cleared.

For me, the sword took the longest to get a clear. I think spear was first?
    Sword took me a good 25+ escape attempts before I finally succeeded, and I think I'd put a couple upgrades into Aspect of Zagreus first. I recall I finally cleared with sword just after the fists released, because I failed a fist escape attempt, took sword and cleared, then fist was the final weapon I escaped with to fulfill that prophecy right after it had been updated.

Bow cleared! Just the rail left.

Somehow had never tried the Hera aspect + Ares blade shots before and I now see the light. Cuts through boss health like butter.

Also, the June update character/theme got revealed today:
    rj5lj07k8xd4.png

I didn't realize Charon had that fabulous of a hat.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Crippl3 on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

• New Boss Fight: see if you can find this dangerous new encounter, and reap the rewards
    • New Legendary Aspects: discover the hidden forms of the Bow, Shield, and Rail
    • New Foes and Mini-bosses: face the Wretched Sneak, Dracon, Doomstone, and more
    • New Boons & Upgrades: gain dozens of new powers, including Duo Boons for each Olympian pairing
    • New Goods in Stock: look for many new items from Charon and the House Contractor
    • New Art & Visual Effects: bask in the atmosphere, with newly added character models and animations
    • Expanded Story: experience new narrative events for nearly every single character in the game
    • Updated Code Base: our newly optimized game engine offers smoother performance for many players
    yooooooooooo

Crippl3 on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNrt43epkG0

Youtube link to the update trailer, because twitter video is terrible

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    "Reap the rewards," paired with the patch cover image, certainly seems to be pointing at a certain somebody for the new fight...

Wonder if it's triggered in the classic "Fuck around with the merchant and see what happens" model of Gungeon or Spelunky

Edit: lol, the trailer just straight up says who the new boss is and how you get to 'em. All my clever detective work for nought!

Poorochondriac on
    The Well of Charon now sells a contract to not see any goddamn flame wheels for 10 rooms, and it's a bargain at 75g

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I am so happy about the who the railgun aspect is.
    Lightbringer

milski on
    I ate an engineer