As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I've been dabbling in a bunch of other games lately and I think webguy has been playing a lot of Snowrunner.

Just for you, though, I'll tidy up a few things :biggrin:

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea, snowrunner has been taking up a lot of time and I've been cluttering up the pc games thread with screen shots. :D I've been needing a bit more structure lately.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I haven't unlocked the coffee cup yet so I cannot share any screenshots

Them's the rules

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Get you some tickets! The first ones are pretty cheap.

I'm zerofourfiveone on EGS if anyone wants to add me. I've set my game to multiplayer so folks can join in while I'm online and in game.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Rainout at work, so I'm gonna work on my factory!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Here's a new screenshot of an older section. It's the third-floor organizer where I bring up secondary materials from the basement constructors and second-floor assemblers (lifts on the front right) and weave them into the bus proceeding around the left clockwise to the rear of the shot. Manufacturers in the rear on the right. The constructors and assemblers in the center of this area were added later, to produce heat exchangers and to boost quartz throughput.

ryl1nybx39ul.jpg

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    yall I ain't gonnna lie to you, I got that flight mod so I can properly lay out this (so far) half kilometer of main bus I copied from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzaA7i2bi0A

this thing is fucking loooooooong

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Things are getting a bit out of control here

AUZbyu2l.jpg

I started in the same area as that video and my three storey monstrosity in the distance was my attempt at keeping things organised. Then my son wanted me to quickly unlock the train tier and I had to run some conveyors all over the place and any sense of organisation went out the window

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Very cool of the devs to put this in.

https://youtu.be/RTdhi56Uu_g

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    What am i watching there?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    What am i watching there?

At about ~22s in, the Mako from Mass Effect falls from the sky.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, a lot of people are having trouble sussing out the subject but I thought starting the video mid-hypertube would be disorienting :c

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Is that what we're calling the Trucks now? Cause that's what that is.

It's just hitting a physics glitch.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I finally made a decision that I need to relocate my main factory. I'm simply squeezed into too small a space--huge cliff on one side, rolling hills on the other--and to that end I've scouted out a nearby flat area that I can build on, elevating the main factory floor up a few meters. Relocation of the powerplants, itself a large reason to move, is complete, and they have their own little platform that I can easily expand upon when needed.

Really feel like the play at this point is to create a main bus near-ish to ground level, then pipe up the stuff that's needed to the actual factory space and turn it into finished goods. Spending way too much time sketching out basic ideas of how the bus will function, but I keep running into roadblocks. Do I go ahead and turn ore into ingots where necessary before they even hit the bus? Do I just have racks of smelters to do it at the factory building itself and then pipe the ingots back down to the bus?

Too many things. Too many things.

• Options
    I finally made a decision that I need to relocate my main factory. I'm simply squeezed into too small a space--huge cliff on one side, rolling hills on the other--and to that end I've scouted out a nearby flat area that I can build on, elevating the main factory floor up a few meters. Relocation of the powerplants, itself a large reason to move, is complete, and they have their own little platform that I can easily expand upon when needed.

Really feel like the play at this point is to create a main bus near-ish to ground level, then pipe up the stuff that's needed to the actual factory space and turn it into finished goods. Spending way too much time sketching out basic ideas of how the bus will function, but I keep running into roadblocks. Do I go ahead and turn ore into ingots where necessary before they even hit the bus? Do I just have racks of smelters to do it at the factory building itself and then pipe the ingots back down to the bus?

Too many things. Too many things.

Smelt on location wherever you can. It's way easier to transport ingots, and smelting operations can get VERY big with pure nodes. Might as well set those up as separate faclities, and they are almost always very straight forward builds too, until you get into the pure alt recipes that require refineries and water.

• Options
    I keep building new factories and abandoning old ones when I unlock a new tier

Like I have this shitty little spaghetti factory with no flooring just chugging away making rotors and reinforced plates and cable.

Then 200m away I have a factory 20m up in the air solely dedicated to making 10 reinforced frames per minute.

Now I'm 500m away from that making a steel mill even higher up in the air

It feels like at some point I should tie these all together

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    spono wrote: »
    I keep building new factories and abandoning old ones when I unlock a new tier

Like I have this shitty little spaghetti factory with no flooring just chugging away making rotors and reinforced plates and cable.

Then 200m away I have a factory 20m up in the air solely dedicated to making 10 reinforced frames per minute.

Now I'm 500m away from that making a steel mill even higher up in the air

It feels like at some point I should tie these all together

Just hook up a train and transport their output to a main bus location. After getting into Tier3/4 conveyors I don't rebuilt my factories anymore, I just move on, and truck my outputs somewhere else.

• Options
    Well one problem is, for example, steel. You need raw iron ore and coal to make steel ingots. So my options are either to pipe raw iron ore from my miners, split the line and send ore to the steel production area and the the rest off to the iron ingot section, or to bring coal to the main factory, split some off to go over to the iron ore to become ingots, and finally to bring that back to the bus.

Suppose it doesn't matter all that much either way though.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I support making entirely an new factory and then just reconnecting the raw material lines

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I just read that coal can be used as fuel

I feel very very dumb

For some reason I did not consider that coal could be fuel and have been powering my tractor with biofuel

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Well one problem is, for example, steel. You need raw iron ore and coal to make steel ingots. So my options are either to pipe raw iron ore from my miners, split the line and send ore to the steel production area and the the rest off to the iron ingot section, or to bring coal to the main factory, split some off to go over to the iron ore to become ingots, and finally to bring that back to the bus.

Suppose it doesn't matter all that much either way though.

Theres an alt recipe that moves steel to ingots instead of raw. I do periodic big HDD hunts before I get too far into the tiers, so when I'm ready for mega factories I already have my alt recipes found.

• Options
    spono wrote: »
    I just read that coal can be used as fuel

I feel very very dumb

For some reason I did not consider that coal could be fuel and have been powering my tractor with biofuel

I mean, in real life the concept of a car that runs on coal is kind of ludicrous. It's not hard to miss that possibility.

• Options
    I mean, it's no less ludicrous than shoving 200 logs of engineered firewood into my gas tank

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    I'm going to steal the elevated factory ideas early in this thread and put em all on support columns.

But for it to not look weird, I'll need to buy that foundation support structure recipe from the AWESOME shop. That's as good a reason as any to upgrade all of my limestone miners to the mark 2 version, right?

It's efficient, is what it is.

• Options
    The final tiers are unlocked! I fed the last of the Project Assembly parts into the space elevator via conveyors and unlocked aluminium production, then diverted all those fancy parts to the mincer for precious points

I'd hate to be the person observing me on this planet. After driving to the closest bauxite node, merrily punting the wildlife out of the way of my explorer I saw that it was surrounded by hostile wildlife and promptly built a lookout tower and started dropping explosives indiscriminately. Once everything living in sight had a Nobelisk attached to it and I exploded them all I safely dropped down only to find that it was just a normal node. So obviously I jet-packed away in the direction of another node, leaving nothing but destruction in my wake

I think once I get a decent amount of aluminium sheets being trained in from where I can find it I'll start out on a proper factory and unhook the resource nodes from my current mess ready for whatever they throw at us in the next update. I'm sure I made the same promise to myself on previous tiers

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Found a pure Bauxite node last night. It's in an area where there's a nearby pure coal and a few pure crude oil nodes so I should be able to set up a splinter factory that does nothing but make aluminium sheets. It's on the Western shores and a heck of a long way from my main factory, so when I found it I was outfitted for "adventure" which meant the items necessary to build an explorer, a few lookout towers and some miscellaneous things in case I found a dropship. I had to haul arse clear across the map back to the factory, stock up on copper sheets, steel pipes and concrete and then build a hypertube back to the node so that I can start building factory three.

My solution for getting back to the main factory is a single biomass burner hooked up to a tube entrance that I just chuck a handful of leaves into and then dive in. Which came in handy as I managed to not pack any handheld miners the first time I made the trip all stocked up and ready to build

• Options
    Found a pure Bauxite node last night. It's in an area where there's a nearby pure coal and a few pure crude oil nodes so I should be able to set up a splinter factory that does nothing but make aluminium sheets. It's on the Western shores and a heck of a long way from my main factory, so when I found it I was outfitted for "adventure" which meant the items necessary to build an explorer, a few lookout towers and some miscellaneous things in case I found a dropship. I had to haul arse clear across the map back to the factory, stock up on copper sheets, steel pipes and concrete and then build a hypertube back to the node so that I can start building factory three.

My solution for getting back to the main factory is a single biomass burner hooked up to a tube entrance that I just chuck a handful of leaves into and then dive in. Which came in handy as I managed to not pack any handheld miners the first time I made the trip all stocked up and ready to build

That's actually a pretty clever solution to long-range hypertubes to places with no infrastructure.

• Options
    At my remote aluminum plant I'm now generating my own power out of a couple of fuel generators, with backup from a few coal generators. I've got the basics figured out and am producing a tiny amount of petroleum coke and the solution required for aluminium scrap and just need to scale things up. I've left loads of room for expansion and laid down something like 6000 units of concrete in foundations ready

I've just now realised I need some form of copper at this factory to make the sheets, so I'll have to go exploring again soon

Aluminium is a lot of work, you guys

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    If you haven't picked up Satisfactory on the Epic store yet, it'll be available on Steam June 8th.

It's real good. I think I still like Factorio more (I feel like I can get more done? it's weird), but it's still real good.

• Options
    Anyone want to jump into my game this weekend to help me figure out how to efficiently restructure my factory?

• Options
    I have my second train loop operational! It picks up silica from my main base and transports that to the Westernmost point where my aluminium plant is set up around the pure Bauxite node and uses it to supplement the aluminium ingot production. Anything extra gets shredded.

I just need to hook up the other side where the aluminium sheets are transported to my main factory where they can do.. something? I also need to scale up production because I'm currently making something like 4 sheets a minute which seems a little slow.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I have my second train loop operational! It picks up silica from my main base and transports that to the Westernmost point where my aluminium plant is set up around the pure Bauxite node and uses it to supplement the aluminium ingot production. Anything extra gets shredded.

I just need to hook up the other side where the aluminium sheets are transported to my main factory where they can do.. something? I also need to scale up production because I'm currently making something like 4 sheets a minute which seems a little slow.

Honestly it depends on the size of your eventual Turbo motors production, but that's a little slow? I think mine is about 90 Alcad a minute, although I believe I am using the alternate aluminum smelting recipe which simplifies some things.

At the very least, you can use your current production to start upgrading to Mk5 belts.

IIRC, every three refiners processing raw bauxite rounds out to about 30 sheets/min, if you have all the other resources in place.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Honestly it depends on the size of your eventual Turbo motors production, but that's a little slow? I think mine is about 90 Alcad a minute, although I believe I am using the alternate aluminum smelting recipe which simplifies some things.

At the very least, you can use your current production to start upgrading to Mk5 belts.

IIRC, every three refiners processing raw bauxite rounds out to about 30 sheets/min, if you have all the other resources in place.

Everything's still in it's "setup" state, so there's a couple of refineries doing bauxite, a few making aluminium scrap, then two refining the ingots and two assemblers making the sheets. I'm hoping that now the train loop is complete I can go back and scale everything up to get to a decent flow going. I left myself a lot of room to expand in the various sections that makes the individual parts

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    This game is both my comfort zone and my anxiety zone

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yes that is exactly correct, thank you

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    This released on Steam today and I accidentally tripped while working from home and hit my keyboard, which caused me to minimize my work session, open steam, go to the store, add the game to my cart, and purchase it. Thankfully the three digits I entered were incorrect and the purchase didn't go thru. I hate it when that happens, don't you?

Anyway I was breathing a sigh of relief when I went to lean on my elbow and slipped and now the game is purchased and downloading. Damn it.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    This released on Steam today and I accidentally tripped while working from home and hit my keyboard, which caused me to minimize my work session, open steam, go to the store, add the game to my cart, and purchase it. Thankfully the three digits I entered were incorrect and the purchase didn't go thru. I hate it when that happens, don't you?

Anyway I was breathing a sigh of relief when I went to lean on my elbow and slipped and now the game is purchased and downloading. Damn it.

Working from home when a new game is out is the worst. It's just right over there's, man! Tanting me.

• Options
    My sincerest condolences.

• Options
    Yessss.... Welcome Steam Brethren! Show us your factories, let us marvel at the spaghetti.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I don't have much spaghetti yet, but I did have to remove my tool workshop because I didn't consider conveyor belts when placing my first smelter.