As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I haven't seen the first episode of season 7 yet. That'll happen tonight!

Looks like AV Club liked it and gave it an A-. I didn't read anything except the headline, which is that it's "doing everything right in its season premiere."

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I liked it, but...
    the final scene in the episode was the last scene in the trailer. So I guess that early reveal was... not great.

No, I'm not counting the post-credit (or whatever we're calling it) scene with everyone's favorite Chronomicon.

sig.gif
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    7x01:
    I wonder what's going on with May at the end there. Perhaps being brought back to life via Chronicom tech has screwed with her mind somehow.

I like how LMD Coulson is dealing with him not being the 'real' Coulson. But he's also taking much more risks with the new body/state of existence he finds himself in.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    7x01:
    I wonder what's going on with May at the end there. Perhaps being brought back to life via Chronicom tech has screwed with her mind somehow.

I like how LMD Coulson is dealing with him not being the 'real' Coulson. But he's also taking much more risks with the new body/state of existence he finds himself in.

I took it to mean...
    his casual disregard for his new body is in step with his discussion with Mac where he made it clear he's considering termination at the end of the current crisis.

It's a fairly common trope, someone who's done with their current situation, but isn't capable or willing to self-terminate, forcing themselves into positions where maybe circumstance takes care of that for them.

OK, watched it! Hulu sure is a hot mess on my PS3. Fortunately it only froze up once and caused my system to reboot and I was able to get back to the point I left off pretty quickly.

So far, so good.
    7x01:

May is probably just trying to figure out what the hell is going on since the last thing she probably remembers is dying while fighting Sarge and, naturally, she trusts no one.

SteevL wrote: »
    OK, watched it! Hulu sure is a hot mess on my PS3. Fortunately it only froze up once and caused my system to reboot and I was able to get back to the point I left off pretty quickly.

So far, so good.
    7x01:

May is probably just trying to figure out what the hell is going on since the last thing she probably remembers is dying while fighting Sarge and, naturally, she trusts no one.
    Given the last time she woke up and wasn't in familiar surroundings, she was in the Framework, and she's always been twitchy, her being in "maximal paranoia" mode, isn't surprising.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed the premiere pretty well. Nothing super amazing, but solid and entertaining.
    The whole "Freddie is Malick's dad" twist was funny for me because literally right before that reveal I was like "this guy really looks like somebody...who is it though...oh! Brett Dalton!"

So I started wondering if he was somehow related to Ward (and how that would matter to anything), but I guess I picked the wrong Hydra guy!

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    I enjoyed the premiere pretty well. Nothing super amazing, but solid and entertaining.
    The whole "Freddie is Malick's dad" twist was funny for me because literally right before that reveal I was like "this guy really looks like somebody...who is it though...oh! Brett Dalton!"

So I started wondering if he was somehow related to Ward (and how that would matter to anything), but I guess I picked the wrong Hydra guy!
    As soon as he let them into the speakeasy and was still in frame putting their coats away I knew he was going to be somebody.

steam_sig.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I remember nothing of the previous seasons but this was fun.

I had to look up what happened to a surprise character from season 6:
    Remember Flint? I wonder if he'll show up. I thought that maybe he died in season 6 shortly after being brought into existence, but I used an episode guide to jog my memory and he's probably still around somewhere.

kaceyp wrote: »

I really want Ward('s ancestor) to show up, but still played by Brett Dalton.

Also while I'm dreaming, a pointed reference to a pregnant Peggy Carter. Optional mentioning of Steve.

sig.gif
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    7x02 random thoughts:
    Oh no! Poor Enoch is stuck in the 1930's and has to time-travel the loooong and slow way again. I was really hoping he'd make it to the ramp in time, before the Zephyr jumped.
    I guess it makes sense for him to be there, giving away so much info on the future - since the Koennigs are so intertwined with the history of SHIELD - a predestination paradox?

Something is very broken with May. Like all emotion has been beaten out of her. Great fight scene between her and Enoch.

Enoch made the other Chronicoms seem kind of nerfed in terms of fighting ability - Mack seemed to take one down with just the butt of one of their rifles.

Zilla360 on
    Also - I love the new 1930's style title card :D :cool: :
    diatyms3txew.png

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Oh cool! I really wrote this off as Covid-affected network TV that wouldn't show up or be half finished until much later in the year!

I needs me some more TV like this right now. Vagrant Queen just didn't quite do it.

7x03 promo!
    Fun fun fun in Area 51/Roswell:

https://youtu.be/tHqfA10s9S8
    :D
    Oh cool! I really wrote this off as Covid-affected network TV that wouldn't show up or be half finished until much later in the year!

I needs me some more TV like this right now.
    Yeah, luckily they filmed S7 back-to-back with S6 in 2019, and were just getting post-production wrapped up when the pandemic hit.

I was spoiled by one turn of events due to the season trailer from a few weeks ago.
    As soon as Enoch said that he'd accompany them outside to help deal with the Chronicoms, I knew he'd be left behind. The preview trailer had that scene where you see the Zephyr disappear and Enoch immediately stop running. I'm sure we'll see him again, though. Poor Enoch. Always taking the long way through time!

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I was spoiled by one turn of events due to the season trailer from a few weeks ago.
    As soon as Enoch said that he'd accompany them outside to help deal with the Chronicoms, I knew he'd be left behind. The preview trailer had that scene where you see the Zephyr disappear and Enoch immediately stop running. I'm sure we'll see him again, though. Poor Enoch. Always taking the long way through time!

He loves the slow boat time tourism.
    And being a white, potentially powerful, middle aged man in the 1930s with immunity to aging, infirmity or illnesses and possessing knowledge of the future?
    I'm just saying one could imagine worse circumstances to spend the intervening decades in.

edited June 2020
    Okay so speculation time.
    Anyone else get the idea that we'll find out they save the day because they've always saved the day? Like, they're not changing history, it was always like this but they don't know that because they haven't experienced it yet.

Also Gemma is an LMD/Chronicom because "the time she spent preparing" will have been her entire life (with Fitz) and when they die as old people, she gets uploaded to a body to get sent back to help everyone. Which would be why she doesn't/can't know where Fitz is, because she went back and he didn't. And we'll find all of this out after Gemma gets shot at the end of say, the 9th or so episode with the next one being an entire flashback.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Okay so speculation time.
    Anyone else get the idea that we'll find out they save the day because they've always saved the day? Like, they're not changing history, it was always like this but they don't know that because they haven't experienced it yet.

Also Gemma is an LMD/Chronicom because "the time she spent preparing" will have been her entire life (with Fitz) and when they die as old people, she gets uploaded to a body to get sent back to help everyone. Which would be why she doesn't/can't know where Fitz is, because she went back and he didn't. And we'll find all of this out after Gemma gets shot at the end of say, the 9th or so episode with the next one being an entire flashback.
    I hope not, because that would make Fitz barely an afterthought in this season, and I was hoping to see him pretty soon here.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I would put folding money on Fitz
    hiding inside Simmons in some capacity. She's a robot, he's a subroutine running on her hardware. It continues the tradition of repurposing old Whedon ideas.

I stumbled across a comment the other day that asked "So what happened to all the (apparently?) SHIELD people that showed up at the end of last season's finale and were on the Zephyr?" and I suspect they'll show up if the plot deems them relevant.

But right now, it sure seems like they disappeared into a plot hole!

• BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    This episode left me feeling
    moist.
    MOIST
    M O I S T

• Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    This episode left me feeling
    moist.
    MOIST
    M O I S T

Ark Evensong on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    hiding inside Simmons in some capacity. She's a robot, he's a subroutine running on her hardware. It continues the tradition of repurposing old Whedon ideas.

Well, if that were the case then
    Wouldn't she have shorted out?

Terrendos wrote: »

Well, if that were the case then
    Wouldn't she have shorted out?
    Well, I guess that kills a few theories about Simmons!

Well...
    Have they shown Simmons post-EMP yet? I don't think they have.

sig.gif
    Sorce wrote: »
    Well...
    Have they shown Simmons post-EMP yet? I don't think they have.

True.

Next week's episode looks interesting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAhkMaErX7E

I saw speculation elsewhere that they might end up "rescuing" Sousa and taking him with them on their time travel adventures...and then he ends up dropped off in Avengers-era and becomes a cop.

7ed9g7d67uft.png

That would actually be hilarious.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    MOOOIIISSST

Also
    for a second I thought Souza would turn out to be a Chronicom, especially when it seemed at first like he really didn't recognize that Simmons wasn't the real Carter.

Hayley Atwell apparently recently responded to a question (via her instagram) about whether she can be expected to show up in this season's Agents of SHIELD.
    No.
    Not unexpected, though.

Ep 7x04

Joel Stoffer (Enoch) deserves an award of some kind. Playing a character without tone, yet still to the brim with tone.
    Hearing "Happy to connect you" as "Fuck you guys", is just awesome.

MorganV wrote: »
    Ep 7x04

Joel Stoffer (Enoch) deserves an award of some kind. Playing a character without tone, yet still to the brim with tone.
    Hearing "Happy to connect you" as "Fuck you guys", is just awesome.

I kept alternating between laughing and going aww man that sucks in those scenes.

steam_sig.png
    Also from this episode
    I loved the lampshading on the "gadget" with it being just a trapezoidal silver brick and no description. Half the cast being "omg the gadget" and the rest being, "that's it?"

steam_sig.png
    Well, it definitely seems like Simmons isn't an LMD or Chronicom!

I like how Sousa basically took the whole real explanation in stride at the end of the episode.

Next week's episode trailer in the spoiler:
    Loving that silly line at the end.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying the different styles for the different eras.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    They're basically just going, "Fuck it, we're Legends of Tomorrow now."

I'm down.

I just remembered last night that the whole reason my wife and I gave Agents of SHIELD a chance was because of Agent Carter. When the show first started, I had little interest. I wasn't a huge follower of the MCU just yet, although I had seen Iron Man 1, 2, and The Avengers in the theater. The previews for Agents of SHIELD didn't do much for me. And so I ignored it for a few years.

By the time The Winter Soldier came out, I was a little more interested in the MCU. My wife and I had started catching up on the movies we had missed out on and even sought out the Marvel shorts that were extra material on the DVDs (thank goodness for our local public libraries!). Agent Carter came out at just the right time. It wasn't a perfect show, but it was still fun. I was surprised to see trailers for new Agents of SHIELD episodes as we watched Agent Carter. And honestly, those trailers still didn't do much to attract us to the show...but Agent Carter's first season was only 8 episodes, and we wanted more MCU spinoffs! So we dove right in thanks to Netflix. We're not binge watchers, but we did manage to get through season 1 relatively quickly. And season 2 arrived on Netflix not long after that, so we were able to catch up just before S3 went live on TV.

It was great to see Agent Sousa when he showed up last week. I really wish we could have gotten that third season of Agent Carter, but this was the next best thing. Especially
    now that Sousa has joined the team. Hopefully he gets to stay for the rest of the episodes!

Obviously there are a lot less people watching the show now. There are certainly far fewer people discussing it in the thread now compared to 5 years ago! But I'm glad the show was able to keep going. Last season honestly feels like a drag now, but this season is just plain fun.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's nice to see Enver Gjokaj again. I wish he was in more stuff.

Dollhouse was a bad show but he was absolutely incredible in it.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    After episode one I took a few weeks off to watch all of Agent Carter before continuing. Which was a good idea, now that I'm caught up. Definitely looking forward to the rest of this season.

Now, do I take the plunge and watch Inhumans while I have Disney+?

uyvfOQy.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Inhumans is fascinating to me in how bad it must be. Now, I haven't watch it at all. But you would assume that if it had had any redeeming moments, there would be some sort of meme from it. Even if it was just a singular one. I have a pretty dedicated devotion to the MCU and I have honestly not seen a single gif or clip from it. Even making fun of it.

Just a total lack of any sort of user created media strikes me as it must be horrifically boring and bad.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I've only seen the one clip.

It's something.

uyvfOQy.png