As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I will note that I hate trackpads, but the Magic Trackpad is kind of ridiculously good. I got one with my last mac since I figured "well, I have like 12 mice..." and good lord. If they were all like this, I wouldn't hate trackpads.

Honestly most trackpads on windows laptops that cost more than $600 are also excellent. You don’t get to crap ones unless you get to really cheap hardware. They’ve come a long way.

This is totally personal preference, but one thing I don’t really like about apple trackpads is the lack of a physical click, the force touch is just not something I haven’t been able to get used to when I’ve tried Mac laptops. Otherwise I would agree that apple trackpads are excellent.

As near as I can tell, this thing clicks. Until you turn it off, then it doesn't click anymore and your brain melts. It's not even close to the laptops, I don't think, and the macbooks have real good pads themselves.

I'd say when you can/if you can, try one in-store. They really nailed it on this thing. That said, preference is preference!

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I will almost certainly end up with the Magic Trackpad as my stationary pointing solution for the iPad. I think it will be better than the regular mouse support, but for travel (assuming we ever get to do that again.....) a small Bluetooth mouse probably goes in the bag just for size considerations.

Oh god no, I couldn't imagine traveling with it. Either a mouse, a Pencil, or something like. (Or just go back to touch.)

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Windows trackpads finally improved to the point that I felt comfortable buying a cheap-ish (~$400) laptop about a year ago. It can be finicky, but nothing like the disasters I grew up with.

Still, absolutely nothing I’ve touched has come close to Apple’s offerings in terms of reliability and smoothness. I’m one of the people really impressed by their work with haptics, though.

I also thought the older iPad folio keyboard was technically very impressive too, actually. Used it for note taking all through grad school, and the quietness of the ‘keys’ combined with the portability was killer. I’ve got fairly strong touch typing skills, and I was expecting garbage.

The new keyboard looks more usable, but I’ll miss the neat gimmick of a highly-functional fabric keyboard.

Edit: I also have an Apple Pencil I never use any more despite it also being an impressive piece of hardware, because apparently I’m a sucker for a gimmick.

OneAngryPossum on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Windows trackpads finally improved to the point that I felt comfortable buying a cheap-ish (~$400) laptop about a year ago. It can be finicky, but nothing like the disasters I grew up with.

Still, absolutely nothing I’ve touched has come close to Apple’s offerings in terms of reliability and smoothness. I’m one of the people really impressed by their work with haptics, though.

I also thought the older iPad folio keyboard was technically very impressive too, actually. Used it for note taking all through grad school, and the quietness of the ‘keys’ combined with the portability was killer. I’ve got fairly strong touch typing skills, and I was expecting garbage.

The new keyboard looks more usable, but I’ll miss the neat gimmick of a highly-functional fabric keyboard.

Edit: I also have an Apple Pencil I never use any more despite it also being an impressive piece of hardware, because apparently I’m a sucker for a gimmick.

The Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pros is interesting, But you have to really be committed to the iPad as your primary computer for it to make any sense. A 12.9” iPad Pro with that keyboard weighs about the same as a high end Ultrabook, be it a MacBook Air or a Windows laptop like the XPS 13, and costs about the same.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Ended up getting some cheap maybe-actual-leather case for my Airpods. Looks decent enough and unlike the two-part silicon case I had earlier this actually stays on, and the lid part is connected to the bottom part in the back.

m6klpzjdbv6n.png

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm exactly the target market here -- I still have an iphone 6, it still works just fine for 99% of stuff, but the fact I can't upgrade to ios13 is a pain, and it does occasionally feel a bit clunky switching between apps.

But I don't really want to spend all the money on the high-end new phones; I don't really care about bezels, and while I'm sure I could get used to face id / no home button, this way I don't have to do that relearning.

Did it; new phone showed up yesterday, thoughts after the first day:

It's a heck of a lot faster than the 6, in general use launching / switching apps / web browsing, but also in weird unexpected ways like for some reason pulling messages from a yahoo mail account (yes, I know) is like 10 times quicker for some reason. It's also a lot quicker to do fingerprint unlock, to the point where I'm going to have to retrain my fingers anyway; I'm used to phone-out-of-pocket, tap-on-home-button, phone wakes up but is still locked, swipe-left to get to the camera from the lock screen. Now when I tap on the home button, it notices my thumbprint fast enough it also unlocks, so the left swipe just goes to page 2 of the apps.

It's also close enough in size to an iphone 6 that a generic cheap flexy plastic case I had sitting around actually fits onto the se2020, just with a bit of adjustment needed for the camera positionuntil proper cases get here (just to make the thing less slippery):

Z1lhCOs.jpg

The camera itself is slightly better in outdoors situations; left is iphone 6, right is se2020, taken in the morning but in plenty of light (it's iso 20 and 1/1000th or so), new phone scaled down a bit to match size. The HDR is improved, there's more details in the dark areas, but it's otherwise very close.

79Cu3Zm.jpg

However, indoors, the difference is enormous. This is taken indoors, of a bookshelf that's well-lit enough for people, but not super bright otherwise (iso 320, 1/30th) -- the iphone 6 is basically just mush, but the new one is a heck of a lot more legible. (and this is without the fancy Night Mode stuff from the iphone11, it's just the builtin camera app)

LpIv60g.jpg

Other upsides; I tidied up the previous phone before transferring things over, so I wound up cleaning off literally more than 100 games and apps and things that I'd not used for ages, which felt good.

Downsides: no headphone socket, ugh. That said, I very rarely listen to audio from my phone over headphones, I have a little mp3 player that I use for that, so it's not too much of a problem. We'll see how I get on, I guess; it does come with (wired) earbuds in the box, at least. The new fake home button is fine, the extra haptics are nice in general, but I miss the feel of actually pressing a real button. And while I do think it would be nice to have the extra wider lens from the 11, I can still use google street view / microsoft pix / panorama mode to take wider images, same way I used to, and those all work faster and smoother than they did before, too -- and the price difference is a heck of a lot.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    If it helps re: ultrawide, I just upgraded to the 11 (from a 7) and I’m fairly disappointed by the ultrawide lens. No optical image stabilisation, it’s fixed focus, no RAW support, no night mode (and no doubt there are legitimate technical reasons behind all of that). So I’ve ordered a bunch of Moment lenses, including their wide lens, to stick to the regular camera and make up for it.

The regular camera is a massive upgrade from my 7’s camera too, I tell you what.

I'm dithering between whether I should get the new SE now, or wait for the 12 later this year.

My personal phone is the old SE, but I'm exclusively using the job phone, an 8, for everything. Been wanting to untangle work and personal stuff though, so it's time for a new phone soon.

Welp, work phone situation got weird.

My work phone has been an iPhone 8 since we started with work phones, ca mid-2018. The last three months it's been having battery issues where it can't provide enough voltage during high loads and the phone just shuts down. Was going to hand it in for service and a new battery, but then *gestures at entire world* happened.

After WFH for approx 800 years now I finally made my way to the office, and now I got a new phone. Several new phones, actually.

Started by getting a hand-me-down iPhone 8 that belonged to an ex-employee, but apparently that one was still locked to their AppleID.

So now I'm installing a brand new iPhone XR.

And apparently I might get some newer model still once that's been ordered due to company seniority, and I don't even know any more.

Cyvros wrote: »
    If it helps re: ultrawide, I just upgraded to the 11 (from a 7) and I’m fairly disappointed by the ultrawide lens. No optical image stabilisation, it’s fixed focus, no RAW support, no night mode (and no doubt there are legitimate technical reasons behind all of that). So I’ve ordered a bunch of Moment lenses, including their wide lens, to stick to the regular camera and make up for it.

I'd be interested to see how you get on -- I've bought some of the cheap low-end "macro/wa/telephoto" lenses, and while the macro lens is pretty impressive and lets you get in _very_ close, the optical quality of the WA lens is pretty dreadful. (I have a use case where I want to get wider-angle video in particular). So I trust the Moment ones to good, but there's an awful lot of price difference between those and the few-dollars ones I've bought, and I don't know how far along the price scale I have to go, or how to identify which is which from the enormous number of different brands out there.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »

I'd be interested to see how you get on -- I've bought some of the cheap low-end "macro/wa/telephoto" lenses, and while the macro lens is pretty impressive and lets you get in _very_ close, the optical quality of the WA lens is pretty dreadful. (I have a use case where I want to get wider-angle video in particular). So I trust the Moment ones to good, but there's an awful lot of price difference between those and the few-dollars ones I've bought, and I don't know how far along the price scale I have to go, or how to identify which is which from the enormous number of different brands out there.

Moment is the best, then olloclip is next at about 60% of the cost, but you're already seeing quality drop off. All the lenses have some issues since the phone cameras weren't designed for another lens on top of them.

I've got some Olloclips that I like, but I think for Xmas this year I'm going to ask for a straight up digital camera with swap-able lenses.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Double post. Took this with an iphoneX with an olloclip 2x zoom and camera+. Its not amazing, but not too bad for off the cuff.

ew6n2ojpii16.jpeg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So I came across some extra moneys and picked up a magic trackpad 2.

Except for a few niche cases I really do believe I could use an iPad with keyboard and trackpad as a travel/second computer. With the trackpad specifically this thing works super, super well. I'm really impressed.

With the magic trackpad itself... I bought the "silver" one which I assumed would be silver like the trackpads on mac laptops, only to find out that the actual surface is blindingly white. I really don't love the look of it.

The problem is the space grey trackpad is more expensive than the silver one, so I don't know if I'm vain enough to actually spend an extra $30 to get a prettier colour. And I really hate that Apple makes you make that decision.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    FaceID is really darn cool, actually.

I have the phone on a stand near my laptop. I get a notification, but it doesn't show the actual text of the notification... until I glance over at the phone and FaceID does its thing.

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    FaceID is much better than I thought it'd be...except when wearing a mask.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Mercade wrote: »

they are putting out an update to have the pin code show up immediately while faceID does its thing... so if you are wearing a mask you dont have to wait for the pin you can just enter it.

Phones also work well enough through the medical gloves, so I hope they do the same thing for folks using touch ID as well. - immediate access to the PIN right now seems kind of important.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    syndalis wrote: »
    Mercade wrote: »

they are putting out an update to have the pin code show up immediately while faceID does its thing... so if you are wearing a mask you dont have to wait for the pin you can just enter it.

Phones also work well enough through the medical gloves, so I hope they do the same thing for folks using touch ID as well. - immediate access to the PIN right now seems kind of important.

Apparently the FaceID text is a clickable button to go straight to PIN.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    @Echo I had a similar wind/crackling/blown-speaker thing start just this morning on my AirPods Pro, in only my left one. Tried the reset/repair and cleaned 'em off. Seemed to help for a minute, then they went back to doing this weird shit.

Apple's shipping a replacement one for it under warranty. I've been so worried about losing/dropping these things, and the roughest thing they've gone through has been me falling asleep with them still in my ears, so I have no idea what's up here, but there seems to be a defect IMO.

Echo I had a similar wind/crackling/blown-speaker thing start just this morning on my AirPods Pro, in only my left one. Tried the reset/repair and cleaned 'em off. Seemed to help for a minute, then they went back to doing this weird shit.

Apple's shipping a replacement one for it under warranty. I've been so worried about losing/dropping these things, and the roughest thing they've gone through has been me falling asleep with them still in my ears, so I have no idea what's up here, but there seems to be a defect IMO.

Yeah, there are so many people having this exact issue with the left side. There was some firmware version that Apple pulled, but people who have that version are stuck on it until there's an actual update. Not necessarily certain that that particular firmware version caused it though, people complained a lot about noise cancellation getting worse with that update as well.

Hmm, there's actually a new AirPods Pro firmware out on May 6th, will have to test things.

Apple has an actual KB article about the crackling/blown speaker noises now, so they finally acknowledge that it's a thing. Going to speak to their support and I guess I'll get the left bud replaced.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211157

I got my replacement bud yesterday, but it wouldn't work until today. The two had different firmwares on them, and wouldn't pair until the darn thing figured out that the left bud needed the update.

Yep, heard a lot about that too, and there's no obvious way to actually update them, you just kind of have to do some ritual and hope things update.

There, went through the support song and dance routine to confirm what I already knew and that this was a hardware issue, will get a replacement earbud.

Woo, so this is what it feels like to have properly working AirPods Pro again. <3

I wish the Watch had some better way to track me standing up. I have a standing desk now and I probably spend an average of 3 hours standing during the day, but since I'm still typing away at the keyboard as if I were sitting it can't really detect that.

So all of a sudden I have to hack it a bit by holding my left arm straight down for a minute every hour... which I could also do while sitting.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    So... since they removed the Touch ID and got larger, I resolved to stick with my 8 until the end... which may have come. It fell out my lap getting out of the car and while the screen didn't shatter in a comical fashion, I think the internal stabilizer for the camera is damaged.

It seems like the new IPhone SE 2020 might be the thing for me. But I keep seeing people say the battery life is short though? Is it short relative to its size, or actually short?

Also read rumours that the 12 will have Touch ID, though I doubt that and I'm still not to fond of big phones.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    It's great to unlock with FaceID, but TouchID is the one thing I miss for certain authentication modes after getting upgraded to an XR.

It seems like the new IPhone SE 2020 might be the thing for me. But I keep seeing people say the battery life is short though? Is it short relative to its size, or actually short?

I think they mean 'short compared to the 11/XS/XR' -- I have the new SE and battery life is just fine, though admittedly I don't watch videos all day or anything.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Also read rumours that the 12 will have Touch ID, though I doubt that and I'm still not to fond of big phones.
    As I understand it, Apple never wanted to ditch touchID in the first place; they just couldn’t get it working through the screen properly without Samsung’s patent and fuck Samsung.
    Would not be at all surprised if they were working on it in the background just because. Hey! Maybe they managed to get micro scale FTIR working well enough to distinguish individual print ridges and are going to produce a miracle screen where the entire surface is a fingerprint reader, but it also works with gloves?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited May 2020
    hopefully it comes back, I like the cameras on the newer models. I just... don't want a boat phone. I can do 5.4 inches if that's true. it's not ideal for me but still.

tastydonuts on

I think they mean 'short compared to the 11/XS/XR' -- I have the new SE and battery life is just fine, though admittedly I don't watch videos all day or anything.

Agree. We got my wife one of the new SE's and its battery seems perfectly fine, and she does do plenty of video watching and so forth with it.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I was gonna come in here and complain about my Pencil 2 not working after 2 days of use until I found out it's a screwtop, not a pop top nib like every other stylus, and tightening it up got it going just fine.

So yeah, iPad Pro is p nice for drawing.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    As I understand it, Apple never wanted to ditch touchID in the first place; they just couldn’t get it working through the screen properly without Samsung’s patent and fuck Samsung.
    Would not be at all surprised if they were working on it in the background just because. Hey! Maybe they managed to get micro scale FTIR working well enough to distinguish individual print ridges and are going to produce a miracle screen where the entire surface is a fingerprint reader, but it also works with gloves?

Ehhhh, you don't spend however many hundreds of millions of dollars making FaceID to avoid a couple patents. And I think Qualcomm has most of the in-screen fingerprints ones anyway.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Ehhhh, you don't spend however many hundreds of millions of dollars making FaceID to avoid a couple patents. And I think Qualcomm has most of the in-screen fingerprints ones anyway.

with Apple it'll be a cost issue. How much will it eat into the margins. In addition, I think the Samsung style tech might have been shelved by Apple after major security flaw it developed.

When do the rumours usually get locked down into truths? I think I can deal with shaky-cam for a little while if it means getting a full-power, albeit slightly larger, replacement.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

I not saying they made FaceID because they couldn’t get TouchID working, I’m saying the narrative changed from “check out this other cool thing we can do” to “we replaced touchID with something else, isn’t it awesome” because they couldn’t get the print reader working with the new screen layout.

Anyway, tangents aside, I’d like to see an option to use both touch and face for certain secure functionality like banking apps or ApplePay transactions over a user-defined limit etc.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Welp, I guess it's time to contact support again, this time for my watch.

Lately the battery charge is clearly out of sync with what the watch thinks it is. I've had days where it stays at 99% for sixteen hours straight, and then the watch dies saying the battery was at 60%, except it's been going for nearly 48 hours without a charge.

That just happened - the watch died, I put it on the charger, and after starting up again it says the battery is at 50%.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried Steam link on their iPad with Mouse/Keyboard support?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Welp, I guess it's time to contact support again, this time for my watch.

Lately the battery charge is clearly out of sync with what the watch thinks it is. I've had days where it stays at 99% for sixteen hours straight, and then the watch dies saying the battery was at 60%, except it's been going for nearly 48 hours without a charge.

That just happened - the watch died, I put it on the charger, and after starting up again it says the battery is at 50%.

You try a force-restart? (Side button + crown until you see the Apple logo.) If it were a Mac I'd say reset the SMC, but I think that's the closest a non-Mac product has...

You try a force-restart? (Side button + crown until you see the Apple logo.) If it were a Mac I'd say reset the SMC, but I think that's the closest a non-Mac product has...

Tried that, no dice.