As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Official Bug Identification Thread Starring Arch, Bugboy, and Fiendishrabbit

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    I'm trying to find a source for that fact? And that species doesn't exist?

Yeah, when I googled I just got some Harry Potter fanfic. Might have to take this over to the Plant Identification Thread.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a joke.
    I'm guessing if someone were to discover a plant that could exude fear inducing inhalants and then named it after Harry Potter, there would be considerable amount of information out there. Like, just between the Harry Potter, Plant and Science threads on these forums...

Yes, sorry, I thought that was apparent enough to not include a more obvious wink, but I guess nature is pretty crazy at times.

Just not mind-bees-crazy.

nature is just crazy enough that would be :bzz: -lievable

Had to buzz you for your wrong answer!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »
    We have a plant identification thread?

@38thDoe No, it's much less frequently requested. You can make a separate thread for your question though.

You might also try hitting up the SE++ plant thread.
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/220667/its-party-thyme-in-the-plants-thread#latest

May not be specifically for identification of mystery plants, but we're always happy to look at your mystery plants.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    We have a plant identification thread?

@38thDoe No, it's much less frequently requested. You can make a separate thread for your question though.

You might also try hitting up the SE++ plant thread.
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/220667/its-party-thyme-in-the-plants-thread#latest

May not be specifically for identification of mystery plants, but we're always happy to look at your mystery plants.

I bet there are dichotomous key's online for regional plant identification, by now.

It's almost 2020!

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It’s getting warm out. Time to resurrect the thread. Friendly spider friends, please identify my little friend crawling on my wall:

3IDdlI7.jpg

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Looks like a very cute (and almost harmless to human, if you're bitten it will cause a mild swelling) yellow sac spider (Cheiracanthium mildei)

It belongs to the "long-legged sac spiders" genus, which it shares with the blackfooted yellow sac spider (which is also a potential candidate, but blackfooted yellow sac spiders tend to have darker pedipalps).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Hey, so kind of a moot point since my housemate chased it off before I could get a picture, but there was an insect (pretty sure it was some type of beetle) in the house today, and none of the 100 or so beetle photos on a bug identification site I found via google looked like it and now I'm curious. It was proportioned kind of like a false bombardier beetle (although the antenna weren't so prominent), with a relatively large squat abdomen, and a very small, thin, and forward projected thorax and head. It was all black (or close enough I couldn't distinguish color), and between 1 to 1.5 cm in length. Oh, this is in southeastern Pennsylvania.

Any idea?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Probably some kind of Root weevil? There are a couple of different black root weevils in Pennsylvania.

Strawberry root Weevil?
    adams-strawberry-root-weevil-600x600.jpg

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    If it's not that exact species, it was something very similar to it. Thanks rabbit.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Stumbled across a massive version of this picture on pinterest of what is allegedly a very colorful variety of orbweaver spider. To be honest I suspect it's been photoshopped, but I figured I'd ask the experts, is this an actual spider?
    12atjlez6mcl.jpg

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I have no idea of that one is genuine or not. Spiders can frequently have very metallic and very vivid colours, but I can't identify that particular species (and in many spider species the colourvariations within the species are astounding).

But here are some genuine, non-photoshopped, and beautiful spiders to make up for my lack of a definitive answer.

Sylvan Jumping spider (Colonus sylvanus)
    UKSKEKKK1KEQ30VQLS1QY01QZSVQHSVQVKMKBKAQBKWQ102QO0EQ2K2Q9KSKCKNQZS5KTKNQY0BQRSUQ1K4K309QDK9Q.jpg

Mabel Orchard Orbweaver (Leucauge argyrobapta)
    5QV06QB0AQ6K8KWKLKEKSK6K7KVK1QO05QWK5KTKIKVK9QCKSK10LK9KZK9KRK105Q2KXKVK7KRSMKTKMKBK9QBKBQ.jpg

And the king of cute, engaged in the most beautiful murder. A peacock spider (Maratus volans) eating a long-legged fly
    Spider-eating-michael-doe2.jpg

P.S: How could I forget the Elegant Golden Jumper (Chrysilla lauta)
    1200px-Chrysilla_lauta_in_Kadavoor.jpg

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    P.S: Note that some species of arachnids (and insects for that matter) look absolutely insaaaane if you develop the photo to try to bring ultraviolet reflection into the visible spectrum.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Parental Warning: Off-color humor in this video, not appropriate for kids.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFAR3WggSRk
    Not sure how accurate any of the info is, but figured you all might get a good chuckle out of this at least.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Pretty much every dragonfly/damselfly fact mentioned is true.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2020
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFAR3WggSRk
    Not sure how accurate any of the info is, but figured you all might get a good chuckle out of this at least.

OH MY GOD THIS IS WHY I USUALLY PREVIEW THINGS BUT I WAS LIKE NAH THIS IS ABOUT BUGS IT'S FINE BEFORE SAYING TO MY 7YO HEY WANT TO WATCH A SHORT VIDEO ABOUT THIS BUG BETWEEN ZOOM CLASSES LABEL THAT SHIT

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It is vitally important for your child not to learn about the Oppih Snub-Nosed Anteater just yet.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

OH MY GOD THIS IS WHY I USUALLY PREVIEW THINGS BUT I WAS LIKE NAH THIS IS ABOUT BUGS IT'S FINE BEFORE SAYING TO MY 7YO HEY WANT TO WATCH A SHORT VIDEO ABOUT THIS BUG BETWEEN ZOOM CLASSES LABEL THAT SHIT

@ceres Yikes, sorry. Wasn't thinking about that possibility. Added a warning above the video to my post.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Probably want to just delete the link in your response, too. :P

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    For the record anytime you see a youtube video that has the words "True Facts" in that font things are going to be very much potentially age-inappropriate :lol:

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Ants are weird. On Sunday, I went out to check the mail, and discovered that some ants had decided my mailbox would make a good nursery:
    qHDotpKl.jpg

Went out an hour later, and they were completely gone. If I hadn't taken a picture, I'd thought I had imagined the whole thing.

Checked the mail on Monday, and lo, it was a nursery again!

And then an hour later, poof, no sign of them.

Ants are weird

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Ants are weird. On Sunday, I went out to check the mail, and discovered that some ants had decided my mailbox would make a good nursery:
    qHDotpKl.jpg

Went out an hour later, and they were completely gone. If I hadn't taken a picture, I'd thought I had imagined the whole thing.

Ants are weird

After learning dragonflies have basically perfected IVF, I'm not prepared to discard the possibility they're using it as an incubator for pre-term eggs.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    qHDotpKl.jpg

Ants are weird

Nah, it's just a seasonal thing. Ants tend to order their eggs online these days, and as soon as the postal carrier drops them off they all swarm into the mail box to unpack them and carry them down to the nest.

Just be careful around Prime Day, is all I'm saying.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    qHDotpKl.jpg

Ants are weird

Have you been getting any rain lately? If I were to make a guess, I'd say they've designated your mailbox as the flood evac shelter.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2020
    We recently had about a week or two of fucking cutworm moths just coming into our apartment and being gigantic and awful. I had to look up what they were, and my roommate said "uh oh I hope they don't hurt your plants." And I said "nah, the little trees I've had growing for a few years now that I carefully grew up in the desert from seeds that came from a citrus I liked and can't even remember what it was now should be fine, they're well-established at this point"

And then a couple days ago I went out to water and noticed those unbelievable little shitwings ate the new growth off my trees and I was like "that's it those fucking assholes are KOS" and then my son said "mom what does 'KOS' mean?" and I was like "nothing go to your room"

ceres on
  • Options
    We recently had about a week or two of fucking cutworm moths just coming into our apartment and being gigantic and awful. I had to look up what they were, and my roommate said "uh oh I hope they don't hurt your plants." And I said "nah, the little trees I've had growing for a few years now that I carefully grew up in the desert from seeds that came from a citrus I liked and can't even remember what it was now should be fine, they're well-established at this point"

And then a couple days ago I went out to water and noticed those unbelievable little shitwings ate the new growth off my trees and I was like "that's it those fucking assholes are KOS" and then my son said "mom what does 'KOS' mean?" and I was like "nothing go to your room"

It means you get a penny for every pair of moth wings you bring me, now, here's a bucket and a fly swatter.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    qHDotpKl.jpg

Ants are weird

Have you been getting any rain lately? If I were to make a guess, I'd say they've designated your mailbox as the flood evac shelter.

It was a little wet on Sunday, but not Monday, and not really today (they're back again, though not quite as much). I didn't have time to check yesterday.

I am amused by the thought of some scout who wound up in the mailbox, thought "this is the perfect temperature and humidity for a nursery" and laid down markers, and then after a whole bunch of work has been done to move in, some other ant is like "wtf guys this isn't where we should keep the yungins" and clears all the markers, so everyone moved it all back out. The next day the scout is like "where did everyone go" so he marks it again. Repeat

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    qHDotpKl.jpg

Ants are weird

It was a little wet on Sunday, but not Monday, and not really today (they're back again, though not quite as much). I didn't have time to check yesterday.

I am amused by the thought of some scout who wound up in the mailbox, thought "this is the perfect temperature and humidity for a nursery" and laid down markers, and then after a whole bunch of work has been done to move in, some other ant is like "wtf guys this isn't where we should keep the yungins" and clears all the markers, so everyone moved it all back out. The next day the scout is like "where did everyone go" so he marks it again. Repeat

"It has been nearly a full cycle with no sign of the Titan, we shall retake the metal sky-hive once and for all!"

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Sometimes I wonder how much these social insects might be able to teach their offspring about us.

My bf's apartment has a big balcony with a retractable balcony glass system that basically turns it into a greenhouse when the windows are kept closed. We keep them closed most of the time because we love gardening, but slightly ajar to keep the air flowing and to give bumblebees access to our flowers. This also brings in wasps. Recently I encountered a big wasp queen rummaging in the flower pots, clearly looking for a nest site. So I took a newspaper and tried to gently nudge the wasp towards the window, being all "Hi wasp queen, nice to meet you but please make your nest somewhere else."

So the wasp sees the newspaper and goes "I WILL SEE YOU IN HELL, MOTHERFUCKER!" and immediately attacks me. A battle ensues, involving multiple tactical retreats on my part, because I do my best to avoid being stung while also trying not to hurt the queen. Eventually I manage to get her out, and for a moment I imagine that I will now be remembered as a friend of wasps and maybe at least this one colony will be less aggressive towards me.

But how it'll probably go is, she tells her offspring that these Titans are pussies and they should feel free to attack on sight.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Wouldn't worry too much. Wasps all die off every winter, only saving a few cells with the next generation of wasp queens.
    It might become Wasp Siege Summer, but unlike crows wasps reset their hatreds every winter.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    Wouldn't worry too much. Wasps all die off every winter, only saving a few cells with the next generation of wasp queens.
    It might become Wasp Siege Summer, but unlike crows wasps reset their hatreds every winter.

Unfortunately, even a fresh wasp has enough hatred for everyone.

• Options

Unfortunately, even a fresh wasp has enough hatred for everyone.

Depends on the wasp.
    Yellow jacket wasps tend to be the most aggressive, followed by most types of hornets (but European hornets are pretty chill and will basically only attack if you attempt to harm them or actively disrupt their nests).
    Paper wasps tend to only attack if you threaten their nest...but they have a tendency to build their nests in places where humans don't want them (like near human habitation).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZyIHZ-W5kA

• Options
    Found a wasp nest on the frame of my car yesterday, they were crawling through a gap around the door. Was about half the size of my fist. There were three or four adult wasps crawling around on it. :(

• Options
    How...how long has it been since you drove your car?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

How long will it be until you burn your car?

• Options
    Before you burn it, make sure the wasps haven't made their nest out of the title. Otherwise I think they own it now.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Before you burn it, make sure the wasps haven't made their nest out of the title. Otherwise I think they own it now.

Insect law is surprisingly lenient about the use of fire and chemical warfare as tools to solve neighbour disputes.

• Options

Been driving it three or four times per week. I had been noticing for the last couple months that there seemed to be wasps lurking around the car whenever we got in or out, even away from home, so I had been suspicious. Don't know how we didn't see the nest forming, though.

Yeah, they probably think they own it. I bought it new, not quite a year ago :(

• Options
    What kind of wasp?

• Options
    ... There's at least one grub in the nest I knocked down. I should feed it to the mailbox ants, if they don't find it on their own.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Have you by any chance angered a druidic witch?

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular

Been driving it three or four times per week. I had been noticing for the last couple months that there seemed to be wasps lurking around the car whenever we got in or out, even away from home, so I had been suspicious. Don't know how we didn't see the nest forming, though.

Yeah, they probably think they own it. I bought it new, not quite a year ago :(

Dude, where's my nest?

What is tattooed on my thorax?
    "Dude!"

What is tattooed on mine?
    "Sweet!"

camo_sig.png