As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I mean I haven't even tried making one in so long.

I just don't really like non fried potatos. Even mashed potatoes.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The last time I made baked potatoes, which I always make a couple extra for purposes, I took a couple of ~7-8mm slices out of the middle of one of them, and fried them in the pan alongside the eggs; and thus I made egg, bacon and potato muffins.

It was a superlative breakfast, and the nap was pretty great too.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I mean I haven't even tried making one in so long.

I just don't really like non fried potatos. Even mashed potatoes.

Nothing wrong with steak frites.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Made burgers and homemade buns for memorial day. The buns were more like biscuits...not my cup of tea, but wow do they still give you an amazing burger.

I also went...a bit too far and made ground beef gravy to put on the burgers. This is overkill and adds NOTHING, but I was challenged to make the beefiest burgers.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Sterica wrote: »
    Made burgers and homemade buns for memorial day. The buns were more like biscuits...not my cup of tea, but wow do they still give you an amazing burger.

I also went...a bit too far and made ground beef gravy to put on the burgers. This is overkill and adds NOTHING, but I was challenged to make the beefiest burgers.

Sounds a bit like the same energy that went into something I had at a con party once:
    Chocolate cake in a ring (Bundt?) mold, chunks of chocolate baked into the batter, chocolate pudding filling, and chocolate glaze frosting drizzled over the top.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    On my first day of work one of my new colleagues showed me a picture, unprompted, of the brisket they smoked over the weekend.

On my second day of work one of my new colleagues (a different one) showed me a picture, unprompted, of the pork they smoked over the weekend.

I think I'll like this place.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    One quarter of one mushroom =)

xzb9ecweqydo.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    On my first day of work one of my new colleagues showed me a picture, unprompted, of the brisket they smoked over the weekend.

On my second day of work one of my new colleagues (a different one) showed me a picture, unprompted, of the pork they smoked over the weekend.

I think I'll like this place.

Oh yea I've totally done this with new hires, usually with a preface of "you eat meat?, well check out what I made this weekend". I usually try to bring in leftovers for these cases.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    One quarter of one mushroom =)

img lotta mushroom /img

Jayzis, that's a lotta mushroom.

• Options
    after 12 days curing in the fridge, my lonzino has been rinsed, dried, rolled in a mixture of craked black pepper and dried rosemary, and will now reside in my wine cooler (that has never held wine) until it loses 30% of its weight!

hopefully I won't screw it up!

ttk391bew0c7.jpg

• Options
    the lonzino has been in the cooler overnight and has been at a steady 53f with 68-72% humidity!

I'll check the weight in 10 days

in other news, my smokehouse is getting there!
    73dnq6n8b1w9.jpg

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I love that adorable little ash door.

• Options
    I'm going to paint it blue gray with white trim I think, and give it a corrugated metal roof

• Options
    I'm going to paint it blue gray with white trim I think, and give it a corrugated metal roof

So, besides obviously it being an awesome project, what swayed you to build a permanent smokehouse versus an more portable offset or drum smoker?

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

So, besides obviously it being an awesome project, what swayed you to build a permanent smokehouse versus an more portable offset or drum smoker?

I have a great smoker that Sir Fabulous got me for satans maybe 4 years ago. I use it all the time, but now that I'm actually decent at smoking, I find I need to make 10+ pounds at a time, which is about 8lbs more than my old smoker will fit. I looked into modifying a file cabinet but that seemed like a pain since you need to strip off the paint. Then I looked at an electric, but they are both expensive and not as big. finally I decided to just make one

all told, this one will cost just over $250 and will fit more sausage than I'll know what to do with!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    You know what else’ll fit more sausage than you know what to ah never mind.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Did a second attempt at Roman's shallot-anchovy pasta. Used more oil, let the tomato paste darken quite a bit more. It's so good you guys. Even had some of the paste to spare, can't wait to try and make eggs with it.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    You know what else’ll fit more sausage than you know what to ah never mind.

No you got us all charcurious now

• Options
    I bet it's a train car

• Options
    I bet it's a train car

It's probably a dumpling, knowing sarukun.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I bet it's a train car

It's probably a dumpling, knowing sarukun.

Smoked venison sausage potstickers, you say...?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Is this a good time to let people know I sometimes cook ravioli like potstickers?

• Options
    That sounds really good, honestly. I love that slightly-burnt crispy pasta texture.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Did a second attempt at Roman's shallot-anchovy pasta. Used more oil, let the tomato paste darken quite a bit more. It's so good you guys. Even had some of the paste to spare, can't wait to try and make eggs with it.

i did this and simmered some eggs in the leftovers the next day and it was so good over some toaster waffles with a little hot sauce

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Put a potroast in this morning, the house it starting to smell delightful

• Options
    Just lit the smoker and doing some smoked burgers for dinner tonight. Gonna be tasty!

• Options
    oohhhh smoked burgers!

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    I have obtained some duck fat. 22 imperial ounces of pure duck fat. I think this might be at least a kilogram, probably a little more. I dunno, I don't speak "Never Went To The Moon".

I'm gonna make flour tortillas with duck fat instead of lard. And probably refried beans with duck fat instead of lard. And probably flaky breakfast biscuits with duck fat instead of butter.

I will certainly deep fry some brussel's sprouts in duck fat.

I wonder if it makes a good gun lube.

• Options
    Smoked Burgers round 2. I needed a bigger mold. Made them 1/2lb. 1/2lb is just too big, but the burger size is right so I'll make them 1/3lb next time instead. Still came out amazing, 2 hours on the smoker.

Meat is from one of my uncles cows, lettuce from our garden. Hopefully later this year the tomatoes will be from the garden too. I need to try my hand at making my own burger buns.

492rzpl57y61.jpg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Decded to finally get a cast iron pan.

Lamb sirloin steak with some thyme, olive oil. and crushed garlic in the pan for a few minutes and than the pan another 15 minutes in the oven at 160°C was extremely good.

Should've gotten it sooner.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I need some good, sustainable/ethical fish recommendations that aren't super fuckin expensive. I love fish and I need to get more in my diet but I've been very wary of doing so due to over fishing and such. I've cut way, way back on tuna and salmon has kind of become a treat because the good stuff is like, $20+ a pound.

Is it just tilapia? Is that it? Because if that's the case I guess fish is out. I have yet to find a way to make tilapia not taste like buttass that doesn't involve deep frying.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    maybe farmed catfish, but honestly catfish is an animal that eats garbage and breathes mud, and tastes like it

squid, definitely, though that's not really fish

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    today is suddenly up around 95F, I might pull the trigger on getting one of those air-fryer lids for my Instant Pot. The Pot itself was a nice thing to have last summer while it was super hot, and being able to quick-roast veggies without turning on the oven will be even better.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure shrimp is sustainable, also delicious.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    You basically want to look out for fish that either eat most anything, or mainly small, fast-breeding prey animals. Large predators are the least sustainable.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I like tilapia when it's pan-seared and nice and golden crispy on the outside.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Jellyfish is sustainable. We'd have to try really fuckin' hard to overfish them.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Does jellyfish... taste good...?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Does jellyfish... taste good...?

Nope! It's basically snot that tastes vaguely of the sea.

This discussion has been closed.