As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    You know, I feel like commercial space operations will require more reliable launch capabilities. Like, you can't have a just in time supply chain where your delivery may or may not actually leave on time because of a drizzle.

I mean, the shuttle scrubbed its last launch the first window, iirc. Also, Wednesday was a scrub based on atmospheric electricity levels.

And to be fair, looking at the pictures the weather did look pretty ominous. This wasn't just scrubbing the launch because a cloud drifted into the path of the rocket.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    "Let's kick it over to the social media desk" is the signal to get up and get something to eat or drink.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    There was actually a tornado warning at the first launch attempt. Not a great time to launch. Although technically they scrubbed due to lightning potential.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    You know, I feel like commercial space operations will require more reliable launch capabilities. Like, you can't have a just in time supply chain where your delivery may or may not actually leave on time because of a drizzle.

It’s mostly due to the destination being a tiny speck traveling very fast in orbit. They can’t just economically go any time they wish.
    Yeah, in order to rendezvous with the ISS with the fuel/DeltaV they have, they must launch within a very precise window of time. Just a shame that the weather in Florida had other ideas.
    Crossing my fingers and toes for today! :)

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    There was actually a tornado warning at the first launch attempt. Not a great time to launch. Although technically they scrubbed due to lightning potential.

They just said weather is go, and in the video sky over the launch pad isn't even close to clear skies, though it is much better than it was Wednesday.

• TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Zilla360 wrote: »

It’s mostly due to the destination being a tiny speck traveling very fast in orbit. They can’t just economically go any time they wish.
    Yeah, in order to rendezvous with the ISS with the fuel/DeltaV they have, they must launch within a very precise window of time. Just a shame that the weather in Florida had other ideas.
    Crossing my fingers and toes for today! :)

For anyone who hasn't (if anyone at all in this thread :) ), I highly recommend looking up Space Station viewing opportunities over your area and catching a glimpse of it flying overhead on a clear night. As you do, imagine launching something from the ground to meet up with that shooting star zipping by, and you'll definitely have an appreciation for why the launch windows are instantaneous.

Not to mention, whatever cost is associated with a payload arriving a few days late is insignificant compared to the cost of a payload just blowing up in the sky.

Taximes on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    20 minutes and its looking good.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    One minute to go, and I am a ball of anxiety.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Away we go!

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Liftoff good, max-Q good, MECO good. We're in second stage flight now and it's all looking good.

SECO good, orbital insertion good, first stage landing good. Wooooo! We're not far from vehicle separation now.

Tynnan on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    What is this? Is this is the new summer ride at Six Flags?

Looks cool, but I can only imagine they will try to charge way too much. Even bumper cars are like 10 bucks per person nowadays. I bet they try to charge something crazy like 15 bucks per person.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Drez wrote: »

Looks cool, but I can only imagine they will try to charge way too much. Even bumper cars are like 10 bucks per person nowadays. I bet they try to charge something crazy like 15 bucks per person.

$15 a pop seems pretty cheap to get to space, imho

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Man, I was fine right up until ignition, and then all of a sudden started panicking. Like, it would be so horrible to lose this, just as we were about to get back into space, and I was about to start hyperventilating.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Still much cheaper than the Russians charge for their bumper cars.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Only bummer is that the landing burn lost signal on actual landing. Q Q

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Man, I was fine right up until ignition, and then all of a sudden started panicking. Like, it would be so horrible to lose this, just as we were about to get back into space, and I was about to start hyperventilating.

Yeah 2020 do be like that

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

$15 a pop seems pretty cheap to get to space, imho

Pshaw.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It's still amazing watching the boosters successfully land. It blows my mind every time.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Man, the official feed brought me down from my high super-fast.

They cut over to the director of NASA (I think), who observed the launch with Trump and Pence. While... sickening at a base level, it makes sense for the pres to observe this. But then, the NASA person started talking about how NASA Was recovering from a historical lack of funding thanks to Congress and all these other demons, and how we weren't just going to be exploring but pursuing the Space Force stuff.. and I just felt sick.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Fuck yeah that was awesome! And a flawless drone-ship landing to boot! Go Bob and Doug! :D :cool:
    P6Y2wzX.jpeg

Zero-G glittery Dragon toy! :)

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    Docking tomorrow around 10:27 ET

Athenor wrote: »

They cut over to the director of NASA (I think), who observed the launch with Trump and Pence. While... sickening at a base level, it makes sense for the pres to observe this. But then, the NASA person started talking about how NASA Was recovering from a historical lack of funding thanks to Congress and all these other demons, and how we weren't just going to be exploring but pursuing the Space Force stuff.. and I just felt sick.

Yeah sudden wave of Trump boot licking. How are you going to take credit for something SpaceX has been working on for a decade?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

That's the moment I turned it off and started watching Space Force

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

That's the moment I turned it off and started watching Space Force

Yup the moment they mentioned the political appointee head of NASA was coming on I turned it off. I got to see the launch. And that was what I was there for.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I mean, what were they supposed to do?

SpaceX depends on government contracts for a lot of this stuff, and we know how capricious the cheeto is, and how he wouldn't think twice about punishing NASA for not showing deference. A certain amount of boot-licking is inevitable.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    An excellent and historic launch.

And personally rather amusing as every time they said "Bob and Doug" my brain would fill in "McKenzie" and I'd start grinning at the idea of SpaceX shooting two drunk Canadians into orbit.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular

Dear Leader must be fellated. What, you didn't know that he invented space? It was especially dark considering I just recently saw a few episodes of Netflix Space Force. Boobs on the Moon 2024!!

I loved the quip from SpaceX at the end "Thank you for flying Falcon 9."

• TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Yeah sudden wave of Trump boot licking. How are you going to take credit for something SpaceX has been working on for a decade?

He was recently corrected on twitter by former astronaut and current SpaceX consultant Garrett Reisman who pointed out that SpaceX and Obama deserve the bulk of the credit for starting the Commercial Crew program 10 years ago.

But, I'm sure like any other Trump admin official, he knows the song and dance of constant Trump praise is a requirement of keeping his job.

In his comments today he did thank the previous NASA admin, Charlie Bolden, but I'm sure if the name Obama came out of his mouth he would be instantly tackled and dragged off camera.

Taximes on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    If Trump found out that it was an Obama thing, he would immediately cancel it.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Space rockets and drone strikes. There’s the overlap between the administrations.

I can't wait for him to find out SLS is in a way an Obama thing too. Then SLS can get cancelled just like Constellation was.

Then once it's scrapped they can start a new program to build pretty much the same rocket (as it's all certain senators will agree to fund), which can then get scrapped by the next administration because it was a Trump thing.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    evilbob wrote: »
    I can't wait for him to find out SLS is in a way an Obama thing too. Then SLS can get cancelled just like Constellation was.

Then once it's scrapped they can start a new program to build pretty much the same rocket (as it's all certain senators will agree to fund), which can then get scrapped by the next administration because it was a Trump thing.

The companies behind the SLS have encouraged this kind of thing, saying Clinton era rules were too restrictive and then that the Bush ones didn't have a proper block 1 intermediate step and then that the Lunar Gateway wasn't feasible so midsized direct-to-translunar was an extraneous feature and they should go straight to the heavy version and so on, subtly and repeatedly shifting the goal posts while not actually kicking for the goal.

There's a reason so much has been poured into that system for close to 30 years with an unmanned test on the wrong rocket to show for it, plus the scaled down knockoff Starliner.

SpaceX, for a tenth the running cost and a third the time, now has a manned launch and has successfully tested a transluar rocket.

Hevach on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I didn't realize that the SpaceX stream was still going till just a bit ago. Are we seeing the birth of SpaceCNN?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Those astronauts made a good choice, I would also like to leave Earth right now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I didn't realize that the SpaceX stream was still going till just a bit ago. Are we seeing the birth of SpaceCNN?

It's important enough to watch the whole trip to the space station -- and that is what they are doing, broadcasting through to the ISS docking. This includes 8 hours of the astronauts sleeping.

They did it with Starman, they can do it with real people. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    SpaceX's youtube channel is showing astronauts getting ready to go and saying its live, but they've actually launched already? I'm confused.

Mr Ray wrote: »
    SpaceX's youtube channel is showing astronauts getting ready to go and saying its live, but they've actually launched already? I'm confused.

Showing replays in dead time.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Speaking of replays, here is the tour of the capsule, including its official name:
    Dragon Endeavor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llbIzbOStt4

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm excited to watch the dock with the station tomorrow morning. Gotta get up early to catch it on the West coast.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.