As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Virginia: North enough to be hated by the South and South enough to be hated by the North

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Prince William County police threw a flashbang grenade at the feet of VA State Representative Lee Carter last night - after he had identified himself.

Virginia State Police sprayed CS gas (a type of tear gas) directly into his eyes.

Update: PWC Police lied to me about not having CS gas. I inhaled some, and they flashbanged me <90sec after I identified myself. Then VSP sprayed CS directly into my left eye after refusing to answer basic questions for ~45min.

Flashbang was thrown directly at my feet.

Lee Carter is the Representative for the 50th district in the Virginia House of Delegates and former USMC.

jdarksun on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    KMNPYCVDI4I6VCMOWINZVA7XSI.jpg&w=916

Defacing of the Jefferson Davis statue in Richmond.

I wish they tore it down.

Rip down all the Confederate monuments there. Steal a damn crane if you need to.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    ...he almost looks like he's doing a sieg heil there. Appropriate.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

The proper name for that pose is the Roman salute, and for a while, that's how children were taught to say the Pledge of Allegiance. There are pictures from the early twentieth century showing children reciting the Pledge using the salute, which reads as yikes to us.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

The proper name for that pose is the Roman salute, and for a while, that's how children were taught to say the Pledge of Allegiance. There are pictures from the early twentieth century showing children reciting the Pledge using the salute, which reads as yikes to us.

Also boyscouts.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    His hand is flipped in that pose, it's not the salute.

steam_sig.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    so, the Lee statue on Monument Ave is coming down. hopefully that's just the start

saw this proposal for a replacement:

po4uzbazjlhz.jpeg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Virginia Announces Temporary Moratorium on Evictions

Northam has requested and it has been approved a suspension of all evictions through June 28th in Virginia.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Virginia Announces Temporary Moratorium on Evictions

Northam has requested and it has been approved a suspension of all evictions through June 28th in Virginia.

Yet another example of local (or at least statewide) elections matter.

The national is clearly important, but the disproportionate focus ot gets skews the public's perception of it.

Like how people are pissed that Pelosi's House Democrats haven't done enough on policing, when for the most part it'll be states that legislate and implement changes.

State level is where shit happens that affects federal law. Did with gay marriage. Almost assuredly eventually will with marijuana and trans rights. Hopefully will with immigration reform.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hey, Virginians! There's one week left in VA to request your absentee ballot! For information on how to register, please check out the very helpful Office of Elections website here: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/casting-a-ballot/absentee-voting/

Remember that, because of COVID-19, you can select option 2A "My disability or illness" as your reason for requesting a ballot. I think November's election is when the "No reason needed" law kicks in.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    protest at Byrd Park in Richmond today apparently resulted in the Christopher Columbus statue now residing at the bottom of the pond

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    protest at Byrd Park in Richmond today apparently resulted in the Christopher Columbus statue now residing at the bottom of the pond

"In the year two thousand and twenty, Richmond protesters made sure the pond wasn't empty"?

I tried. It's late.

steam_sig.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

"In the year two thousand and twenty, Richmond protesters made sure the pond wasn't empty"?

I tried. It's late.

At 14:92 o'clock, they pushed Columbus off the dock.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    In fourteen hundred ninety-two
    Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
    In twenty twenty, month of June
    He finally sank and, now, I swoon.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    So, I got my mail-in ballot. It doesn't say when it needs to be sent in, though??

Fry wrote: »
    So, I got my mail-in ballot. It doesn't say when it needs to be sent in, though??

I got a rejection mail as there is no local election for me.

Also I think June 23rd? That is the day of the election for the primary.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Apparently Freitas missed the filing deadline again?

(I don't know this twitterer; bio is "freelance journalist")

"I’ve confirmed that GOP congressional candidates @NickForVA and Bob Good have both failed to file the correct paperwork with the Virginia Department of Elections to be on the November General Election ballot. The VA Dept of Elections confirmed this with me early this morning."

so paperwork
    much competence
    wow

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    so paperwork
    much competence
    wow

"Can you accomplish the bare minimum of bureaucratic navigation?"
    "Nope! Twice!"

• MillMill Registered User regular
    I gather Good winning the convention for VA5 has moved it from likely republican hold to tilt republican and that's without factoring in the idea he might not be on the ballot, at which point it either ends up being a toss-up or a democratic pickup.

There is some question of whether Good or Freitas will be allowed an extension. It's still up in the air if it'll matter with Freitas because he might not win his primary race. Not sure if it's an actually primary vote or the convention style that let Good win. Bets are Good probably gets an extension because this is his first time, but he might not because only he and Freitas failed to do the proper paperwork. Worse for Good, the guy he had on staff to get this shit in, is the same guy that Freitas had on staff for that paperwork and that that guy was there last year. If Freitas wins his primary, he probably gets told to fuck off because this is the second time he has done this and he can't exactly argue in good faith it's not on him because of how it happened the last time.

I'm actually willing to bet neither one bothered. I suppose FL democrats should rejoice because it looks like the VA GOP is angling to be the most incompetent state party in the US. Guess they feel that's a title within their reach.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

I feel like there’s a way to loop in destroying confederate-celebrating statues

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

That's actually the new tradition for celebrating juneteenth. We'll have new statues made up annually so they can be defaced and torn down.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

That's actually the new tradition for celebrating juneteenth. We'll have new statues made up annually so they can be defaced and torn down.

That's a good compromise. Make all the statues of Lee you want, and then the last week of school we destroy them!

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »

That's a good compromise. Make all the statues of Lee you want, and then the last week of school we destroy them!

I propose using them as target practice for canister shot from a Howitzer. Fun and educational.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The Confederate Howitzer statue near VCU campus has been torn down

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    These posts back to back are educational

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    New business idea: Confederate leader pinatas. Hell, let's toss some Nazi pinatas in. Celebrate Juneteenth, or fuck it, any day, by beating the candy out of some shitty people. Let's do some current people too. Richard Spencer, Tucker Carlson, Jerry Falwell Jr, some proud boys, some redneck 3%ers dressed up in tacticool gear, boogaloo morons in their Hawaiian shirts.

All manner of right wing morons available for cathartic beatings at Hat's Bespoke Fascist Pinata Emporium.

• knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    I work for Fairfax County and got an email today saying tomorrow (Juneteenth) is officially a holiday.

Today’s the last day to vote absentee in-person for Virginia (well, my county ... I think it’s state-wide, though ...).

Hi folks. It is July 1st a bunch of laws passed this year have gone into affect.

Virginia’s new laws on LGBT rights, guns and abortion reflect state’s political makeover.

Some of the big ones:

-Repealing the voter id laws and absentee ballots are now upon request with no excuse necessary.
    -Marijuana is decriminalized
    -LGBT anti-discrimination laws
    -Gun control laws into place
    Some of the new laws will roll back restrictions on abortion that Republicans put in place between 2012 and 2013, when they controlled the House and Senate under then-governor Robert F. McDonnell (R). Come Wednesday, the state will no longer mandate that a woman receive an ultrasound and wait 24 hours before any abortion. Abortion clinics will no longer have to meet hospital-style building codes, and nurse practitioners will be allowed to perform the procedures.

Marijuana will be decriminalized, with simple possession subject to a civil penalty of no more than $25. Previously in Virginia, possession carried a maximum fine of $500 and a maximum 30-day jail sentence for a first offense, and subsequent offenses were a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Another new law will create a statewide database of racial information and other data related to police activity, to determine whether profiling and the use of excessive force is occurring. The Department of Criminal Justice Services will analyze the data. Prince William County’s police department has issued an advisory to the public, saying officers might have to ask more questions during traffic stops to comply with the data-collection mandate.

Voting laws that repeal requirements that voters show photo identification at the polls and provide an excuse for casting an absentee ballot also take effect.

If you want to get your absentee ballot just go to:
    https://vote.elections.virginia.gov

I did mine this morning. Took 5 minutes.

u7stthr17eud.png
    The Stonewall Jackson statue on Monument Ave is being removed right now.

https://youtu.be/8DR53AMewbU

Mayor Stoney is the mayor of Richmond

https://www.wvtf.org/post/duke-dominion-cancel-contested-atlantic-coast-pipeline#stream/0
    The developers of the Atlantic Coast Pipeline have announced they are canceling the multi-state natural gas project due to delays and “increasing cost uncertainty.”

Despite a recent victory before the U.S. Supreme Court over a critical permit, Dominion Energy and Duke Energy said in a statement Sunday that “recent developments have created an unacceptable layer of uncertainty and anticipated delays” for the $8 billion project designed to cross West Virginia and Virginia into North Carolina.

uhh this is pretty great news

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/8DR53AMewbU

Mayor Stoney is the mayor of Richmond

That man has a bright career ahead of him, he's cool, collected, eloquent, and charismatic as hell.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Apparently, people are “randomly” assaulting police officers in Virginia.

A Fauquier County Sheriff’s Depity who had gotten out of his car to get an object out of the road was approached by a black SUV, the driver of which yelled some things at him and then threw something, hitting the officer in the head. A passing motorist found the officer in the middle of the road, rendered aid, and the officer was taken to the hospital.

[waitforit, waitforit, waitforit]

EXCEPT!

The attack was entirely made up and the officer is under arrest for filing a false report.

Making his attacker a black SUV was a little on-the-nose.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    That is terrible for sure, but I will say that random attacks on police in Virginia have actually happened in the past. I know that several years ago (2011) some random guy walked up and shot and killed a Virginia Tech police officer for no reason that I am aware of. There have probably been others. So this guy doing the classic "boy who cried wolf" thing is extra infuriating.

steam_sig.png
    I'm curious what the back story is. Did some motorist actually find the deputy lying face down in the road? How did he get there?

Or did the deputy have an accomplice, that "found" him lying in the road?

Shitty either way.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Passed out drunk seems as likely an explanation as any.

Confederate memorials quietly removed from Virginia Capitol overnight
    RICHMOND — Workers wielding power tools and huge rolls of bubble wrap carted a life-size statue of Robert E. Lee and busts of seven of his Confederate colleagues out of the Virginia Capitol late Thursday night and early Friday morning.

House Speaker Eileen Filler-Corn (D-Fairfax) ordered the removals from the historic Capitol’s Old House Chamber, the room where rebel lawmakers met when Richmond served as the capital of the Confederacy.

“Virginia has a story to tell that extends far beyond glorifying the Confederacy and its participants,” Filler-Corn said in an emailed statement, condemning the Confederate ideology as based on maintaining slavery. “Now is the time to provide context to our Capitol to truly tell the Commonwealth’s whole history.”

She announced the formation of an advisory group to propose new types of memorials for the Thomas Jefferson-designed Capitol building.

The removals, under darkness and in secrecy, eliminated symbols that had largely escaped the recent public outcry over monuments to racial repression. Richmond’s Capitol Square has been tightly guarded over the past month and a half as protesters have gathered in the streets, night after night, spraypainting statues around the city and toppling some with ropes.

Yes. Remove those traitors.

u7stthr17eud.png