As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Ah, it helps to know what people like, thank you! :D Also... I don't know if I've ever had an elevated meatloaf. But perhaps that should be reason to try it!

Chock full of elevated meatloaf.

I've made a bunch from that book and they're all delicious. Maybe take a look around online for any recipes from it?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I do pizzas quite regularly. Here are my key opinions

- If using an oven, don't use a pizza stone as they only seem to work once or twice before the pores on the upper surface end up blocked and they start retaining moisture in the underside slowing down how long it takes the dough there to cook, which means your topside ends up overdone. Instead get the lightest baking sheet you can find and use that (I have a circular one with 4-5mm holes in)
    - It's worth using 00 flour rather than bread flour. And you can't get away with more than about a third of wholemeal flour
    - If you're using mozzarella on pizzas, as you probably are, it's worth trying to find the strange little bricks of it rather than the spheres in bags of water.
    - Go super light on toppings.
    - Moisture content of toppings is quite key. Too dry and they'll become charred shadows. Too wet and the dough can lose stability locally.
    - Basically all of the above is void of you've got a proper pizza oven as those things are super forgiving to use and great fun. Even the little wood pellet ones that don't take forever to get up to temperature
    - Do not accept that all pizzas need a tomato sauce base (my favourite pizza, which is the one we will basically always make is potato, rosemary and mozzarella. Drizzle with oil before cooking, sprinkle with salt flakes when it comes out. Enjoy the double carb action)
    - Nutella pizzas are a waste of Nutella and a waste of pizza dough
    - The feeling of elevation when you pull of a proper runny yoked egg in a calzone is hard to top

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Oh man, pizza week!!! I'll start a batch of slow rise dough today. I like to let it rise in the fridge for 2 or 3 days.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Thank you, Mojo!

I'd really like a baking steel, for bread in addition to pizzas. However, the one I was eyeing only ships in the US. I was kinda planning on ordering one to my in laws and then picking it up the next time I went over.... But unfortunately that's not going to be anytime soon

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Well, dang. I was unable to find regular yeast at three grocery stores because *gestures wildly in all directions* so I'm going to need to find a new dough recipe. I typically go with JKLA's no-knead recipe, but all I've got is bread machine yeast. Which specifically doesn't work for long rises or fridge ferments.

Time to start trawling through Pizza Hut personal pan copycat recipes, because I am a filthy animal that way.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    We made pizza the other day. It was good! I got pepperoni from the deli and it was both cheaper and more delicious then the pre packaged stuff.

My wife handles dough, but I do sauce. I am willing to share my recipe if anyone wants it

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Well, dang. I was unable to find regular yeast at three grocery stores because *gestures wildly in all directions* so I'm going to need to find a new dough recipe. I typically go with JKLA's no-knead recipe, but all I've got is bread machine yeast. Which specifically doesn't work for long rises or fridge ferments.

Time to start trawling through Pizza Hut personal pan copycat recipes, because I am a filthy animal that way.

It takes a while to get kicking, but sourdough pizza is awesome and you can get something lively enough to work for a long rise dough in just a few days, plus you can start it with anything that has natural yeasts - swapping out some water with beer is a perfectly cromulent method.

fake edit: oh my god I love that my spellcheck will flag me if I misspell cromulent.

tynic on
  • Options
    Who has two thumbs and forgot that the dough had to be proofed at room temp for six hours today? :lol:

Oh well. I know many people do 2-3 day dough. It's just not to recipe. And not what I'd intended
    Bucketman wrote: »
    We made pizza the other day. It was good! I got pepperoni from the deli and it was both cheaper and more delicious then the pre packaged stuff.

My wife handles dough, but I do sauce. I am willing to share my recipe if anyone wants it

Yes! Please share!

signature.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    1zpllz5.jpg?1

9lso6UW.jpg

A heavy cheese, normal sauce mushroom, basil, and onion pie with piquillo pepper sauce based on BA's perfect pizza recipe and the simple pizza dough recipe, and a light sauce, medium cheese thin crust rectangle 'za with half shrooms and green bell peppers, half mushrooms, all onions, soppressata, and canadian bacon.

End result: Completely delicious! Dough was almost a bust, because somehow the two dough balls in the freezer had actually frozen a core of what looked like baked bread, somehow? It collapsed into the dough upon kneading, but it was weird.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    We made pizza's last night!

6hWhw6Gl.jpg

Next time I would limit my topping prep a little.

We only really screwed up 1 of the three - full gallery: https://imgur.com/a/MkneXN1

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I presume the bottle of chianti is just off-screen?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I presume the bottle of chianti is just off-screen?

There's not one but two open bottles of wine pictured, making it an especially fine pizza night. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I beg your pardon; I didn't scroll down far enough.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Who has two thumbs and forgot that the dough had to be proofed at room temp for six hours today? :lol:

Oh well. I know many people do 2-3 day dough. It's just not to recipe. And not what I'd intended
    Bucketman wrote: »

Yes! Please share!

Ok, its still something of a work in progress but my recipe for this last time was:
    1 28 oz can San Marzano Tomatoes
    3 TBSP olive oil
    1/4th cup chopped onion
    2 cloves of garlic, crushed
    2 TBSP fresh oregano, chopped
    1/4 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp dried marjoram
    1 TBSP fresh basil
    1/4 cup wine (Red for sweetness, White for more punch out of the tomato)
    1 TBSP sugar, more if you like a really sweet saucec

Heat the oil, then saute the onions for 2-4 minutes. Then add the garlic and saute it for about 30 seconds, deglaze with the wine of your choice.
    Add the fresh herbs and stir it up, cooking about 2 minutes to allow to the herbs to mix in. then add your dried herbs, mix.
    Add your can of tomatoes, crush up the whole tomatoes a bit if you can in the pot. I find a big wooden spoon or a potato masher works well
    Lastly, add sugar, salt, and pepper to taste.

Let it simmer, stirring occasionally on low heat for about 30-45 minutes. If you like a chunky sauce, your done, if you prefer a smoother sauce, allow it to cool a few minutes and then add it to a blender and smoothie the crap out of it. Enjoy.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Buckle up, it's time for amore! I mean pizza!
    sfi1chkuacdf.png
    I usually just use the Mezzetta sauce from a jar, but I'm making the Serious Eats Sicilian sauce today. I'm also using a new dough recipe to accomodate my rapid-rise yeast.
    lvr2z8hzmd5d.png
    Turned out pretty good! The crust is a bit doughier than I'm used to, but I think reheating it in a hot cast iron with a bit of oil will really help next time. And the sauce is great, just really red peppery and delicious.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    dl8gmz69e214.jpg

I used Kenji's no-knead dough and split it into two halves for shaping and baking. Made a sauce out of whole canned san marzano tomatoes, garlic, basil from the windowsill, and oregano I picked from a friend's yard and dried. The glass has a modified gimlet: 2 parts gin, juice from one small lime, and 1 part lime/jalapeno cordial I threw together a few days ago. Shaken with ice and strained. I'm too lazy to get coupe glasses. Baked the pies directly on my baking stone at 500F, rotating once halfway through. The lighting in my kitchen last night was butts, sadly.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tynnan have you ever had a key lime gimlet? It's like using Rose's that doesn't make your teeth shiver in anticipation of falling out.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Tynnan have you ever had a key lime gimlet? It's like using Rose's that doesn't make your teeth shiver in anticipation of falling out.

No... but we do have key lime juice in the fridge. Tonight!

What ratios? 2 gin 1 lime 1 sugar?

• Options
    With a key lime you probably won't even need sugar, but when I make gimlets I usually do 3:2 gin:lime juice. I also rim the top of the glass with Tajin, because goddamn that shit is good with citrus.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I made the serious eats lemon bars from week 16

the crust is crunchy and buttery and the custard is tart and delicious and holds its shape!

49957875012_f3a40c5b0c_z.jpg

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    DadctmR.jpg

Turkey pepperoni and the other is caramelized onion.

I actually threw my dough into the air this time, based on a Paul Hollywood tip, and it indeed got me a thin crust and big puffy outside. The centripetal Force makes the dough flow out to the outside, without immediately tearing the stuff in the middle.

Buuut the underside of the crust was fairly floppy. Not raw, but not crisp. Not sure if it’s down to too much sauce, a short bake, or not enough time preheating the oven and pizza stones.

Regardless, it was very tasty.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Lovely pizza photos, all!!!

I just finished baking mine too! The second day of storing it in the fridge improved the taste, I think. And it rose a bit more on the edges this time compared to before, perhaps because I was a bit more careful on not squishing the crust as I shaped it out (right on the parchment paper, I'm not good enough for the throwing etc)

Sourdough crust, basic marg toppings

tlagoromzcpb.png

ofmj92i0n3fr.png

I made the serious eats lemon bars from week 16

the crust is crunchy and buttery and the custard is tart and delicious and holds its shape!

Woohoo! I'm so glad you tried it! <3

This week... ice cream! I'll be sure to include some no churn recipes

signature.png
  • Options
    Ice cream, eh?

If I’m feeling up to it this week, maybe it’ll be time to try Babish’s ice cream bars.

And yeah, throwing the dough takes some courage; I was afraid of dropping it on the floor somehow.

The results are nice, and I may try to do it again next time.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Pizza is on the agenda for Tuesday, started bulking my starter so I can handle two pizzas and a loaf of bread though I may do garlic knots or bread sticks instead of my usual weekly loaf.

Also getting mad that bread flour is just completely unavailable here. Plenty of AP at least so I can keep baking even if results are sub-optimal.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hmmm. I need to split my starter.

Maybe I'll eye up that KAF pizza dough recipe and toss it into the bread machine tomorrow morning.

While also working on my other loaf.

• Options
    Ice cream recipes posted!

Last week we also had a new person participate--@Tynnan :D Sorry I didn't mention it before but glad to have you join in, Tynnan!!! Your pizza was gorgeous

signature.png
  • Options
    Haha, the recipes just straight-up include Babish’s ice cream sandwiches. Nice.

• Options
    Gotta cater to the crowd! :D

signature.png
  • Options
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I make ice cream at home occasionally. My favourite go-to recipe is this one for matcha ice cream. But my usual place for buying matcha isn’t open right now, as far as I know. I might make a butter pecan or a chocolate ice cream instead.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I will probably not make ice cream next week because I've still got a container of chai ice cream with ginger-spiced coconut pieces in my freezer from April, but I am here to recommend Jeni's base as a SUPER easy ice cream base to work with. It uses cream cheese and a bit of cornstarch as a thickening agent rather than egg custard, which I find tedious at best and downright unfriendly to the new dessert maker at worst.

Also, if you're going to straight-up do a Jeni's recipe, her earl grey and scarlet is off the freakin chain, Bangkok peanut is so good I never shared any when I made it, and her lambic sorbet is vegan and also has beer so it's a double win.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Can confirm Jeni's is great stuff, her recipes are the bee's knees, and she was super cool when I met her a zillion ages ago when she opened her shop in cbus.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    My kids just finished off the last couple of batches of ice cream we made (coffee and a chocolate from the Ben & Jerry's recipe book) so I guess I should finally participate in this :P

I have some actual Dole Whip mix that I'm going to try out. It won't quite be the same since I don't have a soft serve machine, but hopefully the taste will hit the spot. I'll try to do something more interesting from scratch after that.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

did a sourdough pizza crust.

ended up making a mini pizza for the kid and 2 calzones for dinner.

• Options
    I don't have, nor am I planning to purchase, an ice cream maker so I'm thinking I'll give the "no machine needed" recipe a go, or maybe I'll make a really really cold cheesecake and call it a day.

I like to ART
  • Options
    I've had a couple more slices of pizza in pre-heated cast iron with a splash of olive oil. It's definitely tastier, and not as doughy, but it's also not crispy-crunchy like the bottom of a pizza crust should be. It's a very soft crunch with a lot of fluffy bread behind it, and I'm positive it reminds me of some terrible honky-tonk food my dad or grandma cooked for me. I'm honestly trying to remember whether I was ever fed pan-fried dough balls like in the Grapes of Wrath.

Bangin' sauce, though. Definitely a keeper.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Sourdough pizza! Based loosely off https://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/sourdough-pizza/

Toppings were sweet Italian sausage (I like spicy but Mrs Mittens does not) and sauteed button mushrooms from our produce co-op.

xggWQ5Th.jpg
    oZDzslJh.png

Thinking about doing an horchata vegan ice cream this weekend (using coconut milk or coconut cream as the base, depending on what's in my pantry)

m!ttens on
  • Options
    I'll make some waffles on Friday, I guess, so I can toss little chunks of them into some maple syrup ice cream.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Ice Cream is in a mini-cooler in the freezer.

8Objn20l.jpg

The recipe said "insulated container" and that's what I had, but I may have overshot since it said freeze for 4 hours but it was still barely firming up last night. Hopefully I don't ruin it by leaving it in there all day today.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART