As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Shadowlands: It's out!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    wait I gotta unlock void elves don't I

hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    After a weekend of play, my still very fresh warlock alt is up to 441. I completed Legionfall on her and got her class mount. I also completed the green fire quest on her.

Friday I ran a handful of low M+ keys with guildies. Yesterday I also ran a PUG M6 and did pretty well.

I'm loving the destruction playstyle.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    bowen wrote: »

Rep requirements are being removed on the Shadowlands prepatch....which is when you get the new customization options anyway.

TryCatcher on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    If anyone does any kind of regular m+ alliance side let me know. Currently have no one to run with there. My shaman is solid I promise!

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    years from now when someone says "what was BFA patch 8.3 like" i'm going to link them this image

be9ny4fa1m01.png

63% of my damage, and all of my top three damage sources being random procs that aren't affected by pressing buttons, and autoattacks are a further 8%

Yup.

https://www.darklegacycomics.com/716

wq2ncgjx5i3w.png

Bigity on
    The thing that amuses me most about the entire BfA timeline, from 8.0 till now, is this:

Each update, each change has been nothing more than a bandaid to the underlying problem. Azerite Armor in conjunction with the Heart of Azeroth is the problem. And each patch, each update since then has just added layers of bandaids on top of that. But each bandaid has also introduced even more problems that have then also needed to be addressed in future updates.

If they had just taken the time to make Azerite+Neck not total shit, we wouldn't be here. And I feel like at this point, even though those bandaids are spread over the course of 2 years, they have probably invested more total development time into all of these "fixes" than if they had just taken the time and effort to fix the initial problem.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

Rep requirements are being removed on the Shadowlands prepatch....which is when you get the new customization options anyway.

Rofl really.

Fuck that, man.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    It's better than stupid grinds to unlock content that take month(s) to do.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Because what the game needs is less genuine achievements that reward you with cool things that take effort to do.

I am biased, though, because I did the grind.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    I get that the damage meter posts are being a bit glib, but technically most your TD damage does actually come from pressing buttons.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    I get that the damage meter posts are being a bit glib, but technically most your TD damage does actually come from pressing buttons.

Not really. It's proc rate is so low that you would more than max out the potential procs just by autoattacking.

So it doesn't proc like the other Corruptions? Whenever I searched for details on how it procs I couldn't find anything useful.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    So it doesn't proc like the other Corruptions? Whenever I searched for details on how it procs I couldn't find anything useful.

It does proc like all corruptions, using hasted PPM. For TD specifically, the base proc is 1PPM hasted, so if you had 30% haste you'd be at 1.3PPM. It doesn't take very many attacks per minute to max out 1.3 PPM.

I swear when I first got my Gushing Wounds (my first damage corruption), I let myself auto attack a dummy for a while and it barely ever proced.

Gushing Would should be 4 + haste PPM so it wouldn't proc a ludicrous amount.

PPM is weird, though, since the way it's technically coded is that you get an increasing chance to proc the longer you've gone without a proc, with the chance resetting again once you do get a proc, and the rate of increase is tuned to give you the approximate PPM they're shooting for. This is why you can get 2 or 3 TD procs in a row, even though that would outperform the procrate.

It's possible that you don't max out a higher procrate with autoattacks, but TD definitely would fall below this threshold.

Thank you for the explanation.

That said, Echoing Void does require using abilities since it doesn't proc on autos.

edited June 2020
    Thank you for the explanation.

That said, Echoing Void does require using abilities since it doesn't proc on autos.

Right, Echoing Void is a different case since it isn't PPM, it's just a 100% proc on every ability that has a GCD.

Twisted Appendage is another, while it is PPM it isn't hasted.

Dhalphir on
    I know at least Infinite Stars doesn't even proc on dummies. I never had a gushing so I dunno if that one is the same but thought I would throw it out there.

Dac wrote: »
    Because what the game needs is less genuine achievements that reward you with cool things that take effort to do.

I'd rather little kitschy things be gated behind those than actual content. Titles, transmog gear, stuff like that.

Took my still very fresh warlock into my guild's normal difficulty alt run of Ny'alotha last night. Did ok I thought. My DPS averaged around 30k for most fights, and I think it was as high as 38k on Hivemind. That's with not the right essences equipped. I've just got the first 4 essences I gained equipped right now. I bought Vision of Perfection with Echoes and I'm running that as my major. My other 3 essences are all just whatever green tier ones I found. So essences are not optimized.

I also have had very poor luck so far with corruptions. As in, I don't have any. With the gear I got last night in Ny'alotha I'm up to 446 ilevel, and I have 0 corruptions. So that 30k average DPS is "all me" so to speak, because I wasn't getting any help at all from procs.

Uhh don’t you at least have the free 440 bracers with a corruption? Also you at the very least get a 420 from one horrific vision.

Dac wrote: »

The grind for what? Because anybody playing 8.3, when it was current, on an alt trying to catch up basically got Exalted for both Army of the Light and Argussan Reach without doing much additional effort per character.

Kai_San wrote: »
    Uhh don’t you at least have the free 440 bracers with a corruption? Also you at the very least get a 420 from one horrific vision.

I got a 420 from a horrific vision, yes. They're already replaced by a 445. The 420's were a pair of gloves with an avoidance proc on them. Not exactly anything to write home about. Certainly not what I'm looking for as far as meaningful contribution to my DPS.

I did get the 440 starter bracers. They have Void Ritual, which is the tutorial corruption effect that everyone gets. I am still wearing those yes. So I guess technically I do have a proc that would contribute to my DPS. But again... Void Ritual is not exactly a meaningful contributor. There's a reason it's the tutorial corruption.

My point was simply that I felt like I was doing well with the class, given that I don't have any of the significant corruption effects that really make an impact on numbers. My warlock has only been level 120 for like 5 days, and I'm totally new to the class.

I'm loving it. But I still have a lot to learn and I still have a long way to go to actually turn her into a "good" character. I need to get the right essences in place. I need to get better optimized gear. Right now I'm wearing the first 445+'s that have dropped for me, and my stats are all over the place. And I need to practice my rotation and all that. 30k is a good starting point, but if I stick with the character I know I can do a lot better. Especially once I start getting desirable corruption effects.

As a side note - there's a guy in my guild who raids with us as a rogue (horde). However, he also has a warlock on alliance, and he's in a mythic raid guild with that character. His advice to me is to basically put the haste proc corruption on every piece of gear that I can.

Pretty much yeah. If you can get shit tons of haste demo locks can do some silly things.

• InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    So with BFA winding down, there’s no real point for me to gear up my Holy Priest and Frost DK. I was thinking of rolling up an alt, either Warlock or Warrior. I’m not a raider by any means, but I do enjoy BG’s and Open World PVP.

In your opinion, what would you guys recommend to do?
    It looks like Warlock is getting the shaft in Shadowlands, but Warrior always seems very monotonous. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s still super hard to pick a shadowlands class. Like I’m going with enhance because I stuck with it for a lot of bfa anyway. The changes are golden so that made it a no brainer.

But some classes lacking right now could be saved if a good legendary option opens up their gameplay. Or if soulbinds do some things to tweak them in the right direction.

Yeah, there's still a lot we don't know about how class balance will look.

I'm in a similar boat of not knowing what I want to play in Shadowlands. I'm a healer right now. And I'm almost always a healer. I'd say out of the 16 years I've been playing WoW, I've probably mained a healer for 12 of them.

As I'm considering options for the expansion, my top 3 frontrunners at the moment. 1) I can continue to heal on my Shaman. I enjoy Shaman healing and Shamans have a great utility toolkit which is only getting better with the un-pruning. So Shaman is still a top consideration. 2) Warlock. Man. I am really loving this alt. And the more I play her and get comfortable with the class and everything, it's just really clicking for me at the moment. And of course Warlocks also bring a bit of desirable utility to raids, and my guild does not currently have a full time warlock. 3) I've got a warrior alt that I'm also liking quite a bit at the moment. For questing and doing just random world stuff, he's the most fun for me to just be out and about.

I honestly think rogue is looking really good. I consider maining one almost every single expansion. I enjoy playing one usually near the end then just pick another main before the next expansion. I dunno, I just have a hard time ever maining something that doesn’t have a healing spec.

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I'm the same way with tanks. I'm tempted to roll rogue for the first time, too! But maybe hunter. Or monk. Or my warrior.....

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Most of the melee specs look pretty juicy in Shadowlands. I'm excited for the Ret changes (although losing Wisdom sucks and the new Retribution Aura is weird and dumb).

I honestly don't understand why in the age of un-pruning they are removing Wisdom. It doesn't make sense.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It’s kind of annoying as a healer, since normally only 1-2 people in the raid will get one

Though, they’re returning that mage buff that gives a person 3% crit or whatever, so they must not have a problem with that sort of individual buff

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand why in the age of un-pruning they are removing Wisdom. It doesn't make sense.

The explanation has been that Auras are replacing Blessings, but like...why not both? Auras don't stack.

Also there's not a mana regen aura.

Not sure if Rextroy is just way too good, or if it’s just that BFA is broken as all fuck. But the dude keeps finding new ways to do absurd damage.

https://youtu.be/hEcjvVlxnGg

He could likely run the entirety of QA at blizzard on his own. If they HAD any!

edited June 2020
    It's just the power of corruption effects, because as we've seen they basically didn't test them.

The guy is also on another level in terms of gameplay and understanding how to abuse mechanics and they should absolutely hire him as test lead.

3cl1ps3 on
    Some good changes to Torghast this alpha patch.

Torments not timed anymore. Now just stacking additional challenge per floor. So basically just like affixes from M+ but with their own unique quirks
    They seem to be separating Torghast runs into to types now. One side for Legendaries, another for just running the tower. Though it sounded like the Legendary runs are based on randomized structures while the other is not?

So uhh, pretty good changes. They basically no BS went with what people wanted there.

Also all classes now can go in and have Anima powers.

A split between the Legendary mat mode and the Endless mode was always intended.

Oh, and the preview for Ardenwald is up. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Yeah, after the change, Torments sound like an expanded version of the floor enchantments of Palace of the Dead in XIV.

Honestly, Torghast is shaping up to be the evolution of PotD that I've always been hoping for. PotD is a great feature in XIV, but I've always wished it was a bit more fleshed out and a bit more developed. It's great for what it is, but I see potential there for so much more.

And Blizzard appears to be delivering that potential with Torghast.

In PotD, each floor is basically "rolled" with a variety of things like traps, randomized floor plan, and floor enchantments, which can be good or bad. Mostly bad. But there are a few ones. It's a simple system, however, and that's why I say Torments sound like an expanded version of that. PotD's floor enchantments do things like prevent natural regen. Or prevent the players from using sprint (which is a universal skill in that game that all classes have). And there are a few other floor enchantments as well.

But it sounds like Torments 2.0 will be ramping up in nastiness as you advance. I think I read somewhere that when a torment gets applied, it stays around for 5 floors or something. And this new system sounds like the torment will get a bit stronger per floor, until it is reset with a new torment. That will help create a nice cadence where each batch of 5 floors will feel like a milestone when you clear it.

edited June 2020
    There's some minor complaints about the minion spawning Torments, but the worst thing that happens is that you die, instead of the "entire run being ruined". That's fine.

TryCatcher on
This discussion has been closed.