As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[tv] is all video games now

19495969798100»

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Man it's kinda hard to really enjoy B99 at the moment.

I have been thinking the only thing to do with that show at this point is go full Archer and just completely abandon premise and do a new thing with the same characters
    It is literally the only thing that will bring me back, as someone who watched every season and has been a fan since it premiered

I have zero time for anything portraying cops and quirky, hilarious regular folks like you and I at this point in my life

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Have them all be working at a public library. Holt is the branch manager.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I wonder if/how B99 will handle everything that is going on with the protests.

For that matter, how the hell is any TV show going to handle the real world implications of Covid-19?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

That's your solution to everything!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »

For that matter, how the hell is any TV show going to handle the real world implications of Covid-19?
    I fully expect them to acknowledge them with a BOY SOME COPS ARE BAD AND MAYBE WE HAVE TOO MUCH POWER BUT THANK GOODNESS THE 99 IS SO LOVABLE episode and that's about it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

I trust the B99 team on this. I honestly think they've laid groundwork to cover police corruption in depth. literally every character on the show has been affected negatively by it either in their backstory or in the show proper.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

I trust the B99 team on this. I honestly think they've laid groundwork to cover police corruption in depth. literally every character on the show has been affected negatively by it either in their backstory or in the show proper.
    The problem is that the issue right now isn't police corruption

It is that the police, as an entire organization and power structure, are fundamentally broken and corrupt and cannot continue as is

Which I do not expect the fun cop show to tackle

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I'm currently in a writers room, and the general consensus is, "Nobody wants to be reminded of The Big Inescapable Thing in their escapism." Characters are gonna be broker than usual, struggling to find their feet again after losing work, but there ain't gonna be a quarantine bottle episode or anything interminable like that.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I don't think B99 will address it at all.

It's a no win situation for them. Addressing it in any real way breaks the show, addressing it half heartedly won't come off as good.

And since I imagine we won't get a new season for a while simply due to Covid19 and depressingly I see a lot of the country moving away/forgetting about this, just as it has done so often.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

I'm currently in a writers room, and the general consensus is, "Nobody wants to be reminded of The Big Inescapable Thing in their escapism." Characters are gonna be broker than usual, struggling to find their feet again after losing work, but there ain't gonna be a quarantine bottle episode or anything interminable like that.

co-sign

I'm in a lot of circles with beginning and mid-level writers, and for every one person thinking about writing a quarantine piece there's a hundred people screaming not to do that

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Make the entire next season of Better Call Saul black and white Saul stuck inside

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    frankly I'm ready for B99 to end

it had a good run, now it's time for like a half-season victory lap and a finale episode where like, I dunno, we see Jake in old man makeup, maybe a scene at Scully's funeral where it's revealed that he died like, flipping his harley or something instead of three simultaneous heart attacks

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the one show I might trust to handle police brutality or Covid and successfully ride the line between meaningful commentary and entertainment is Bojack Horseman, but that's all done.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

That's your solution to everything!

Prove me wrong!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Brooklyn 99 pretty frequently comes back to the idea that the 99 are basically the only good cops around, but the only meaningful change they ever try to make was Holt trying to be commissioner, and that couldn't succeed because it's a sitcom and things can't actually ever change. If they'd ended when it was originally cancelled they could've said that he got the job and changed things for the better, but Hulu picked it up so yeah.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Hulu picked it up?

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    It's pretty clear that this past season of B99 was intended as the last before it got renewed

While I don't want the cast and crew to go unemployed, I wouldn't be sad if they just didn't do another season

(especially since Stephanie Beatriz wants to play Batwoman)

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    There will almost definitely be a Sunny in Philadelphia episode where Frank is desperate for a haircut or manicure but the governent wont let him, although they may make it an analogy crisis than actually go with Covid.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Y’all think when It’s Always Sunny ends, they’ll one up Seinfeld and just have the entire gang get murdered by everyone they’ve wronged over the years?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Y’all think when It’s Always Sunny ends, they’ll one up Seinfeld and just have the entire gang get murdered by everyone they’ve wronged over the years?

It’ll 100% be Cricket.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I don't know enough about the show to guess at what it might be, but I bet rob and glenn either know exactly how the show's going to end, or they have no idea and the thought keeps them up at night

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

It’ll 100% be Cricket.

A McPoyle will be involved.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It's pretty clear that this past season of B99 was intended as the last before it got renewed

While I don't want the cast and crew to go unemployed, I wouldn't be sad if they just didn't do another season

Wait I thought she wanted to be She-Hulk.
    Though I'd be down for either.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I imagine it would be like, a full Orient Express affair

Or them constantly surviving increasingly improbably vengeance plots only to die in some sort of tragic but completely avoidable accident that they caused themselves

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

Wait I thought she wanted to be She-Hulk.
    Though I'd be down for either.

I think she just wants to be a superhero and beat people up and LET HER

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Hulu picked it up?

Or NBC or whatever happened I forget - I just remember the last episode when it first got cancelled ending with Holt getting the message about whether or not he got the job and going "Well I'm sure you can all see by my face what happened."

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    There will almost definitely be a Sunny in Philadelphia episode where Frank is desperate for a haircut or manicure but the governent wont let him, although they may make it an analogy crisis than actually go with Covid.

They've confirmed that they'll do "something" with Covid.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Sunny already addressed police shootings in a very Sunny way so yeah, I def seeing them doing something with Covid.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    It's Always Sunny already did a disease-quarantine episode though, so they'll have to approach COVID in another way.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    It's Always Sunny already did a disease-quarantine episode though, so they'll have to approach COVID in another way.

oh they've remade episodes before

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    they'll try and be disease profiteers by making hand sanitizer that you can drink and the still will explode or mack will got temporarily blind from drinking it

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    "Fight Sanitizer sanitize like a Crow-vid"

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    go full bore fascist propaganda and have an episode with amy santiago beating the shit out of some filthy communists

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Considering Dennis' obsession with being pure and clean contrasted against Charlie and Frank living like rats, there is some pretty incredible grounds for comedy in the situation.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

Frankly I expect lots of shows to basically continue to inhabit parallel universes where COVID-19 never happened at cops are still ostensibly "the good guys". My theater is/was gearing up to do a bunch of shows that are about as escapist as you can get. The closest they were going to get to approaching reality was going to be Evita and Les Mis, and even those two were met with a fraught argument over propriety in the current political climate.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Theatre is where I expect to see a lot of incredibly lukewarm takes, personally

I mean also probably some good stuff, one of my favorite theatre companies has transitioned their show to online and has already been on that

But I'm fully expecting to see a shitty production of Julius Caesar where everyone wears face masks or whatever

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Frankly I expect lots of shows to basically continue to inhabit parallel universes where COVID-19 never happened at cops are still ostensibly "the good guys". My theater is/was gearing up to do a bunch of shows that are about as escapist as you can get. The closest they were going to get to approaching reality was going to be Evita and Les Mis, and even those two were met with a fraught argument over propriety in the current political climate.

I cannot get into specifics because I don't wanna be fired, but "What do we do about cops?" was actively discussed in both of the rooms I was in today

The conversations were more fruitful than I worried they might be, but we'll see how the Beverly Hills set feels about shit once they go back to being insulated

This discussion has been closed.