As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] Godbound: There Came A Time When The Old Gods Died!

Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
edited June 2020 in Critical Failures
The Throne stands empty.
Heaven has fallen, and the Words of Creation thunder from new throats.
Undestined, unfettered, unchosen, you are Godbound, and your will is writ with fire.
xe80x0ymjxns.png

Note: We've started worldbuilding for the game, but sign-ups are still open! Post !Signup if interested, and we'll add you to the game.

Godbound is a game of divine heroes in a broken world, individuals who have seized the tools that have slipped from the hands of the gods. Bound by seeming chance to the Words of Creation, these new-forged titans face a world ravaged by the ambitions of humanity and the cruel legacy of their folly.

In short, there came a time when the old gods died, and you are the gods that shall take their place.

Gameplay notes:

This game is going to exist in two phases. Because Godbound is a game that benefits from having a world for you to change through epic deed, we're going to start with some collaborative worldbuilding, loosely based on A Spark In Fate Core, which will give us both a world, with faces and places, and some story and aesthetic themes we'd like to explore in play.

Then, once we know our world, we'll make our gods and go about changing that world.

Anything I should know about the rules?
The rules for Godbound are available for free online, as is A Spark In Fate Core. The rules are largely based on old-school D&D with some interesting twists around utilizing Words Of Creation to create Miracles and enact great deeds.

We'll largely be playing by the rules with one exception:
  • Ascending Armor Class: I don't like descending DC. When looking at Armor Class in the book, or recording your own AC, subtract the number listed in the book from 20. And when rolling an attack, roll above that number.

Anything I need to know about the story we'll be telling?

As far as scenes go, I'll be playing slightly epic in scale. I'm not as concerned with each individual blow in a battle, and it's assumed you'll be succeeding most things you do, so keep that in mind as you play. I want to see you do cool godly stuff.

Anything I need to know as a player?

Two things:

We'll be covering safety content prior to the game (Lines and Veils), and will be using X, N, and O cards throughout.
  • X-Card: If at any time an element in play makes you uncomfortable and you want it removed, merely reply invoking the X-Card and we'll remove it from play, no questions asked.
  • N-Card: If a given scene is getting intense and you need it to slow down, reply by invoking the N-Card, and we'll find a way to quickly wrap up and move into something else.
  • O-Card: If you're really feeling a scene, and want to vocalize that you'd like to see more of it, reply by invoking the O-Card, and we'll keep that in mind and work to include more of it.

And in the interest of keeping play moving, I'm asking you post at least once a day in the game. That said, life happens, and some days you might not be able to. What I'd propose to the group is, in a group play scenario, after 24 hours, the group may elect to make your character's action for you, with the knowledge that your character will never fully destroy themselves while this is happening. That way, play keeps going, and we all have the flexibility of needing to take some time as needed.

And if we truly need to take a few days, we can always pause the game.

Sounds great, how do I sign up?
Reply to this post with !Signup, and when we have four to six players, we'll begin the worldbuilding process.

Players
  1. Invictus
  2. AustinP0027
  3. discrider
  4. Admanb

Dex Dynamo on

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    !Signup

Might as well take advantage of summer plus quarantine to do some PBP. I have downloaded the books; are there any parts of Godbound I shouldn't read?

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    Don't worry about the Gazeteer of Arcem section, since we'll be creating our own world. And you don't need to read the Running The World and Foes Of Heaven sections, but there aren't like spoilers or anything in them.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Still digging through rules but seems pretty interesting.

!signup

• Options
    More people need to sign up for this. I finally got through all the divine powers you can pick from and the possibilities for just character creation are insane.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I mean, it's not like I already have a character in mind or anything.

!signup

discrider on
  • Options
    More people need to sign up for this. I finally got through all the divine powers you can pick from and the possibilities for just character creation are insane.

That's half the reason I want to run it; I want to run a game with some of these character ideas.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I'm thinking Earth, Passion (Inverted really), Time for my character.

discrider on
  • Options
    First draft of mine is Bow, Endurance, Health.

Thinking, ex-hunter type (for Bow/Endurance) who always wanted to help people, and divine spark granted the healing side (Health, plus Endurance also kind of overlaps here).

No commitments though. It's been a lot of fun just coming up with different pairings.

• Options
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for mercy of the dice

mercy of the dice:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 7 [4d6k3=[3, 2, 2], 2] 13 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 4], 2] 12 [4d6k3=[4, 4, 4], 2] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 2], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 2] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 3]

• Options
    I have lottts of ideas for character creation, but I wanted to see what kinda world we had before I worked too hard :)

also, I assume your change to AC is, instead of "subtract 20 from your AC", which is what is listed, you mean "subtract your AC from 20," right? @Dex Dynamo

• Options
    Shoot, that is correct, haha. So if your AC listed in the book is -2, your Ascending AC is 22.

• Options
    Yeah, I want to see more of the world before I do any actual character filling out.

• Options
    How much of the world are we building, btw? are we assuming the heaven/hell/Night Roads cosmology from the book, and just filling in nations/countries etc? I ask because I actually really like the setting's cosmology.

• Options
    I'm fine keeping the general cosmology. I think it's pretty cool.

We can run with three players pretty well, so I think tomorrow or Friday we'll start the (relatively brief) worldbuilding portion and start gearing up to play.

• Options
    Alright, let's start going through our worldbuilding, and if anyone still wants to join, they can.

To start, let's go over safety stuff—does anyone have any questions about the safety mechanics? (If you'd like to invoke the X/N/O card in play, just say so
    in your post and we'll acknowledge it). Additionally, if anyone has any lines or veils, you can post them here, post them in a spoiler, or DM them to me.
    Aside from the obvious (no sexual assault, racism, sexism, transphobia, ableism, etc.), I'm asking for a line on violence to non-magical animals and children, and a veil on eye-related injuries; I'm cool with them happening, I just don't want to hear about them in detail.

With safety out of the way, following the guidelines in A Spark In Fate Core, we already know our games Genre, and Scale:

Genre: High Fantasy
    Scale: Epic/Godly

What I'd like from you to start, though, both so we know specific tropes and concepts we'd like to include, as well as general themes, tones, and story styles we want to play with, is the following:
    • Two pieces of pop culture you'd like to use as inspiration: These don't need to be tied to the genre of story we're playing, these can be as broad or out-of-left-field as possible
    • What it is that excites you, or that you'd like to include: Whether it's a specific plot element, a character trope, a general vibe, tell us what it is that makes you excited to include it in play
    • Any broader, more general sources of inspiration: If there's more specific tropes you'd like to include, drop them here!

My inspirations:
    • Dragon Ball Super: The thing that really made me want to run this game is the various godly drama in DBSuper; there's this ongoing vibe of "there is an order to things that exists among the gods so chaos doesn't destroy everything" that clashes with "heroes rushing into action, damn the consequences" and I'd like to include that sort of clashing of ideals in play; what happens when there's a larger presence that blocks the obvious course of action, and more importantly, what happens when heroes impossibly make the obvious answer work anyway
    • Jack Kirby's The Fourth World: Shit's big, and loud, and lacking in subtlety and packs a mean punch. It's what I default to every time I think about the premise of "godly drama," and there's a reason I titled this thread with a New Gods reference.
    • I love the cosmology of Godbound (definitely something I do want to keep from the book), and I love the general setup of "the gods are dead and the world is in the midst of a cataclysm." I want to explore how different factions and powers and armies and individuals react to a cataclysm. Something akin to Batman: No Man's Land a little bit, where all the pieces are constantly moving around the board.

• Options
    Pop Culture pieces:
    • The Avenger's Movies (probably more, Avengers 2 and maybe Civil War as well) - Not so much the heroes aspects, but more around the fact that when big powers fight, people are still impacted. Gods clashing should contain aspects of how it affects mortals in the process. Those people have aspirations, and often the focus is on the big, showy acts and the destruction left behind isn't talked about. There are lots of other examples I'm sure, but this is the general trope I think should be included.
    • The Void Trilogy (by Peter Hamilton) - Book series is really two separate stories (space story, and individual world with psychic powers). My focus is on the psychic power section. Main character of that section essentially finds out he's super strong and can do stuff no one else is able to do. But, he's one person, fighting against history, ruling class, etc... The trope here I want to bring as an influence is that one person/god may be able to be strong and do amazing things, but the world can still be shit if there are enough other people working against you. Our gods can do powerful things, but they should be always aware that wherever they aren't, someone else has control.

Exites/Included
    • Even with all the stuff above about how a single god isn't changing everything right away, I want opportunities for our gods to make a difference (good or bad depending on choices). There's still something good about seeing a large change influenced by you/your group, regardless of how it plays out in the overall world.
    • Plot Element - General plot ideas of events/challenges I've had: Warlord-type opposing god, Plague spreading cult, God murdering agency

Other than all the above, I like the cosmology that is listed in the book, so I think it'll be interesting even just to play in that space.

Two questions I have:
    1. Are our gods working together? Or is this a 1v1v1 type scenario?
    2. Is a part of the world building process going to be us describing the world in some amount of detail? Places/Countries/Races seems like it's needed to be generally known for character creation even

• Options
    I dunno.
    One Punch Man?
    Struggling to retain humanity and empathy after gaining superhuman power?
    Randoms fighting off monsters because they have to when the heroes aren't there?
    Characters who don't know power until it shows up next to them and shows then up?

• Options
    One of the reasons I was attracted to this system/setting is some important similarities it has to Mage: the Ascension. In particular, I am super interested in very powerful PCs who can use broadly-defined powers in interesting, creative ways to solve otherwise-intractable problems.

The second part out of Mage (at least the vision of Mage I had) that lines up really well with this cosmology is that while the world is really going very, very badly, our heroes are powerful enough to actually present real hope. The setting reads apocalyptic, in the sense that the literal dissolution of the world seems inevitable, but our heroes might actually be able to long-term change that, even if focused in smaller areas, at least at first.

Sandman, by Neil Gaiman: particularly with a focus on the Hell/Heaven stuff. I like the connection between Sammael in Godbound as a Satan-equivalent who isn't actually evil, but instead has a Hell-oriented goal to do, and Lucifer in Sandman as someone who gives up Hell because he's interested in mortals and no longer interested in capital-E Evil.
    This is fundamentally a thing about good and evil as labels: Angels are labeled Good, demons/hell are labeled Evil, but it might be the actions those beings perform that we should really care about.

• Options
    I love all of this, and am excited to explore it all in play!

Now that we collectively have a grounding in the sort of story we'll be telling, we're going to lay out the following things, in order:
    • Facts: Exactly that, big picture truths about the world, the people in it, and the story we'll be telling. These can be explicit facts, questions we want to float to the group for someone else to answer, or more of a vague "let's make this a thing" for someone else to flesh out.
    • Sparks: The problems and plots our characters will face, or the issues that will be bubbling just under the surface.
    • Faces: The noteworthy NPCs that inhabit the world, whether on a larger scale (other Godbound, grand villains, monarchs and mighty rules), or local figures that we'll cross paths with.
    • Places: Countries, cities, landmarks, and other places that will come up in play.

As a group, each of us will create two of each of these, so we'll end with eight facts, eight sparks, etc.

If anyone has any facts they'd like to establish first or questions they'd like to ask the group? If not, I'll lay out some questions for folks in the morning.

• Options
    Question for the group that I think will lead to a fact:
    - There are multiple nations/territories. How many of them are in direct conflict with each other and how much of that conflict is physical warfare vs a different type (e.g. social, economic, religious)?

Explicit Fact
    - There are three nations (to be named later) where the attitudes towards deities reflect the broad scale. One nation serves whichever deity rules them completely, one nation is indifferent to whoever is in charge and does what it needs to get by, the other nation constantly revolts against it's deity believing no one should have that scale of powers

• Options
    Question: Tech level?
    Are we typical fantasy, or is this our world or a futuristic tech world falling apart?

And I guess drawing on the previous fact:
    The general populace has no idea why they're suddenly under siege by extra-dimensional beings and populated by God-bound.
    Given the whole 'hell was meant for redemption until the gods all died, and now it's just a soul trap for all mortals as they don't have paradises or gods to escape to', I don't see how a nation could entirely spurn or be ambivalent to the new gods without lacking that understanding entirely.

Leads to, what is the dominant theory and proximate cause for the siege and breakdown in society?

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Question: Tech level?
    Are we typical fantasy, or is this our world or a futuristic tech world falling apart?

Fact: Magitech. I'm a sucker for a good Magitech aesthetic.

Which kind of gives me an answer to your question:
    Leads to, what is the dominant theory and proximate cause for the siege and breakdown in society?

I propose that there's no dominant theory, but rather a thousand smaller theories, because something so large cannot be explained in reasonable terms. If you lived near a magical reactor (which lit up when an angel plowed through it), well, obviously that's what caused all of this. If an evil fog descended upon your town, well, that evil fog consumed the entire world.

Which leads me to a fact:

The world is large, travel is not easy (aside from perhaps the occasional magical train, spell, or airship, but those aren't easy to come by), and people don't go very far. (with your characters likely being an exception to that)

And a question:

How large is the average settlement? ARE there massive cities still standing, or are the largest remaining places walled cities and fortresses? And when we say "a country," how big are we talking? Do we envision full Roman Empires, or "six towns and some field"?

• Options

And I guess drawing on the previous fact:
    The general populace has no idea why they're suddenly under siege by extra-dimensional beings and populated by God-bound.
    Given the whole 'hell was meant for redemption until the gods all died, and now it's just a soul trap for all mortals as they don't have paradises or gods to escape to', I don't see how a nation could entirely spurn or be ambivalent to the new gods without lacking that understanding entirely.

I really love this and want it to amend my fact. Instead of the split of three I had, I want your scale. Still one that sees the deity as their salvation but that is the outlier for the rest of the world who is cautious and confused instead. (So basically chop the other two from the fact)

• Options
    I feel like there's room for all three options, honestly. There are absolutely people that, when confronted by something on this scale, would actively resist, and some people who take on tunnel vision.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    And a question:

How large is the average settlement? ARE there massive cities still standing, or are the largest remaining places walled cities and fortresses? And when we say "a country," how big are we talking? Do we envision full Roman Empires, or "six towns and some field"?

Fact: Almost every region still has its massive city from the Before-Times standing, but, following up on Dex's world-size fact, logistics have broken down so far that they can't serve their former population. This is not to say that they are empty: they each have resources and infrastructure that are incredibly valuable. Almost all of them still serve some population, and some of them serve as several different villages, each separated by abandoned areas. But none of the old cities still hold even a large fraction of their old capacity.

Invictus on
  • Options
    Question(s):
    Who lives in Anur-Azak, the nearest great city, and why do none of them live in the High Gardens?

• Options
    The abandoned 'Red' zones being dangerous for one reason or another of course.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Are you still open for players? I wouldn't mind jumping in -- I've only been able to run a 1-on-1 game with my partner so it'd be cool to see it from the other side.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Are you still open for players? I wouldn't mind jumping in -- I've only been able to run a 1-on-1 game with my partner so it'd be cool to see it from the other side.

Hell yeah we are

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I'll leave Invictus' question for someone else to answer, I'm terrible at naming things/people, so the answer there deserves better than what I could drop on it.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    I'll leave Infidel's question for someone else to answer, I'm terrible at naming things/people, so the answer there deserves better than what I could drop on it.

I thiiiiink I'll take that confusion for a compliment, Austin? but I'm definitely not Infidel :biggrin:. Also, naming the inhabitants of Anur-Azak is, I think, way less important than describing them.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Woof. Sorry about that, quick fingers landed on an "I" name that I've played with in CF with before.....

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    @admanb you should feel comfortable contributing to worldbuilding!

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    Question(s):
    Who lives in Anur-Azak, the nearest great city, and why do none of them live in the High Gardens?

Fact: The people of Anur-Azak are a true melting pot, as the city was repopulated by refugees and immigrants from all around. Re-populated, because all the original inhabitants of the city just... vanished. All the buildings, plants, and animals were left untouched, but not a sentient soul could be found. As for the High Gardens, they're as beautiful and idyllic as they ever were, but the closer you get to them the louder the Voices get. It's become something of a game among the young and bored to try and get as close as possible before they overwhelm you (usually with a rope tied around you in case you pass out) but no one comes away with any memory of what the Voices said -- they just have one sensation: pain.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    The World As We Know It (so far)

Facts
    • The general populace has no idea why they're suddenly under siege by extra-dimensional beings and populated by Godbound.
    • There's no dominant theory as to what caused the apocalypse, but rather a thousand smaller theories, because something so large cannot be explained in reasonable terms.
    • The majority of the world is cautious and ambivalent towards the Godbound and otherworldly creatures; however, there remains a nation which sees their deity as their sole salvation.
    • The world is large, travel is not easy (aside from perhaps the occasional magical train, spell, or airship, but those aren't easy to come by), and people don't go very far.
    • Many massive cities, however, still stand, a shadow of their former excess; some have become made up of many smaller villages, alongside smaller communes and hideaways, and of course, the forbidden "red" zones
    • The people of Anur-Azak are a true melting pot, as the city was repopulated by refugees and immigrants from all around. Re-populated, because all the original inhabitants of the city just... vanished. All the buildings, plants, and animals were left untouched, but not a sentient soul could be found.
    • Within Anur-Azak, there are the High Gardens, beautiful and idyllic as they ever were, but the closer you get to them the louder the Voices get. As you get closer, eventually the Voices overpower you. No one comes away with any memory of what the Voices said -- they just have one sensation: pain.
    • God-bound are not too rare, but are uncommon. Seen as a result of the breakdown of the world, they are to be distrusted, are as useful as their abilities, or are to be exalted depending on your locale. This makes the Deity of Xyrestia as much a position borne of good PR in the nation as well as from raw power.

We can continue to build facts and questions (this is very much a back-and-forth until we feel like we have enough world to explore), but this is also a good segue into Faces, Places, and Sparks:

I'd like two Faces, two Places, and two Sparks from everyone (including me), to give us a really mapped out world we can explore. Same deal as with Facts: we can keep them vague and say "I'd like for a character of this type" and have other players flesh them out, or state an explicit detail, as fleshed out or narrow as we'd like. We can also ask questions for players to answer.

Places:
    • The city of Ember and the Ever-Burning Inferno: A magical reactor explosion, that has... never... stopped... burning. A ball of magical arcane fury that simultaneously wiped out a city, and formed another city around itself, as people came to siphon its heat and arcane power, eventually becoming known as the city of Ember.
    • Anur-Azak: The city at the center of everything. A melting pot of refugees and immigrants, huddled together in the husk of a crumbling cityscape, building something new and better together.
    • The Walled Megacity of Zhuun: Formerly the trade capital of the world, now hollowed out home to warlords, bandits, and those that would rule by sheer force.

Faces:
    • Old Trick: Everyone knows Old Trick. Somehow. A dealer in secrets, a broker of ideas long forgotten and forbidden, seemingly everywhere at once. When you to find them, they're there, and they have just what you need, if you're willing to pay.
    • Dorothea: She's the de-facto governor of one of the villages in Anur-Azak. She fled her farm when the monsters came and killed her husband and children and has come to impromptu leadership of the collective through gentle kindness towards those around her tied to cold calculation of how best to survive. She cares deeply about her citizens but constantly has in mind the big picture of what has to be done to survive.
    • Kane: The current warlord of Zhuun. Kane rose to the top of the city quickly through a campaign of brutal domination of anyone in his way. A large, muscular man, Kane became known for violence from first entering the city walls. It didn't take long for him to find the favor of the previous warlord, and when that warlord showed a moment of weakness, Kane ended him and became the new warlord, as were the standing rules for the city. Might equals right in Zhuun.
    • The Glamour-King of Xyrestia. A poet, a performer, a scholar-king, and a philosopher, he talks a big game, his words doing the work so his lightning powers don't have to. And yet, no matter how much he talks, his words never seem to translate to aid for the people down below.

Questions:
    • Are there full countries left standing, or is the world reduced to small towns and enclaves?
    • How long ago did the world end? Are there people who remember before, or is this generations past, faded into legend?

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    Face:
    Dorothea: She's the de-facto governor of one of the villages in Anur-Azak. She fled her farm when the monsters came and killed her husband and children and has come to impromptu leadership of the collective through gentle kindness towards those around her tied to cold calculation of how best to survive. She cares deeply about her citizens but constantly has in mind the big picture of what has to be done to survive.

• Options
    While low theurgy powers most of the magitech, and is common

Fact: God-bound are not rare too, but are uncommon. Seen as a result of the breakdown of the world, they are to be distrusted, are as useful as their abilities, or are to be exalted depending on your locale.
    This makes the Deity of Xyrestia as much a position borne of good PR in the nation as well as from raw power.

• Options
    The walled megacity of Zhuun was once the trade center of the world.

Merchants would come from all locales to fit into the packed trading court, the strong walls ensuring protection from whatever might roam the countryside. So dedicated to their place as a trade haven, the rulers of Zhuun would use their army to patrol the countryside to reduce bandit presence and encourage trade. They built roads in every direction and dedicated engineers to their maintenance.

When the world ended, and the traders stopped arriving, Zhuun fell quickly. They had built their entire existence around trade and the fees/levies they took from the traders, and had no actual supply chain themselves. Most people up and left the city, leaving only the ruling class to wallow in the thought of their previously glory. Bandits quickly arrived, and every conquering thief was eventually ousted with one who was a little stronger and more violent.

The city still stands, but as a shell of it's former self. Those who rule the city call themselves Warlords now, and large swaths of buildings have been ruined or burned down, long past the point of being fully looted for anything that might be still around. The palace still stands at the heart of the city, but day by day more destruction occurs whenever the inhabitants get bored or overly rowdy.

• Options
    Which will lead me to my first face:

Kane: The current warlord of Zhuun. Kane rose to the top of the city quickly through a campaign of brutal domination of anyone in his way. A large, muscular man, Kane became known for violence from first entering the city walls. It didn't take long for him to find the favor of the previous warlord, and when that warlord showed a moment of weakness, Kane ended him and became the new warlord, as were the standing rules for the city. Might equals right in Zhuun.

• Options
    Face: The Glamour-King of Xyrestia. The name is a double-meaning, depending on who uses it. To his allies, it's a reference to his style, and his extremely cute cheekbones. You could cut a diamond on those things. To his detractors, it's a reference to how he is not what he seems. A poet, a performer, a scholar-king, and a philosopher, he talks a big game, his words doing the work so his lightning powers don't have to. And yet, no matter how much he talks, his words never seem to translate to aid for the people down below. Sure, there's a big gesture of lighting the streetlamps in the capital city, or awakening a fleet of farming machines in a single pass, and yet, people still struggle, and face shortages. But, he did promise, and surely he intends to follow through...

Question: Someone tell me about the capital city of Xyrestia.
    Question: What (either as a Fact or a Place) is life like OUTSIDE the cities, in the sprawling landmasses between their hollowed-out cores?