As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't stop the [PHOTO]

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Love the look of those film shots!! I've been tempted to try film in the past and this is not helping me stop myself lol.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Love the look of those film shots!! I've been tempted to try film in the past and this is not helping me stop myself lol.

It's such a different experience. I think a lot more about the shot, instead of just shooting off a burst of shots like on digital. And then the outcome always has some surprise with it. Nothing is particularly tack sharp, but the character and quality of the results are pretty pleasing, even the ones I screw up.

Buying the Takumar lens on a work trip overseas was the gateway for me. It went from, "Good cheap lens I can mount on my digital camera." to "Hmmm, I wondering how this would work on the camera it was intended for?"

• Options
    MonicaButcherMonicaButcher Registered User new member
    Gone through all the photos you buddy posted! That are awesome from each and everyone!

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Speaking of the Fuji 18-55, I was going through old photos and found this from last year in Switzerland.

DfTvBmKl.jpg

And then a couple of shots last night playing around with AEB on my roof.

xbAol7nl.jpg

33U5fdVl.jpg

And because I enjoy taking pictures of food like the BWB I am:

GTZbYBxl.jpg

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    MonicaButcherMonicaButcher Registered User new member
    Six wrote: »
    Speaking of the Fuji 18-55, I was going through old photos and found this from last year in Switzerland.

DfTvBmKl.jpg

And then a couple of shots last night playing around with AEB on my roof.

xbAol7nl.jpg

33U5fdVl.jpg

And because I enjoy taking pictures of food like the BWB I am:

GTZbYBxl.jpg

These are so natural!

• Options
    Two more from the roof the other night. I'm going a bit overboard with the processing but it's fun experimenting with them.

5auNfZal.jpg

bLfCz0xl.jpg

• Options
    I really love those city shots, especially the first one from the first post. Makes me wish I lived back closer to downtown Austin (the skyline there has become incredible) instead of out in the 'burbs.

• Options
    Same angle, different night from the one above. Turning the world into a Super Mario Sunshine level.

o0euFRll.jpg

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Some digital shots from the other day walking around the local park. I think this came out a little flat:

49960777993_ecc5d10c0b_c.jpg01-06-20_Bagels and Brushy Creek_1 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

Sometimes flat can be really beautiful (see above). As in this case, shapes and composition really shine through. I joined a "New Topographics" FB group a bit over a month ago and found that this is an entire style of photography. Which I knew to some extent, but didn't realize how much there was out there. Would recommend anyone in here check it out, really wonderful photographers and photos in that group (if FB is a thing you don't avoid like the plague). Also really digging your film stuff. I started to collect a good amount of film cameras a couple years ago, now widdling it down to ones I love. The cannonets are highly sought after so good on you for getting one. I've mostly shot with my Rollei TLR and a couple rangefinders I've acquired, but keep having little parts break and whatnot. My biggest drawback in film is that I've been really disappointed with my local developing labs, so I want to do it myself... but the time it takes... goddammit just haven't organized enough to do it yet. But maybe now that You're posting film here I'll give it a little more energy.

Anyways... shit's been rough lately yeah? Wishes of health and safety to everyone.
    49971234938_334c1ec2ce_c.jpgState by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Prospicience on
  • Options
    I rode my bike to pick up a new lens I bought of craig's list and while I was w waiting I took a few shows of the Verrazano Bridge.

vPNGLdgl.jpg

Asg84Ehl.jpg

6tnMibSl.jpg

The lens I got is a macro and I've never had one so I played around a bit with it

ysqbMYJl.jpg

vW5EwuKl.jpg

• Options
    That third shot of the bridge!!! Wow!

My camera has been collecting dust. Here's a candid of my two good friends (from january, the last time I took photos :( )

49982606658_315a1b468c_c.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Thanks! It's interesting, these are my three favorites from the dozen or so pictures I ended up with. The third I think is my favorite, but the other two have gotten the most positive reactions from those I've shown them to. It's about half and half who liked #1 or #2 more, but I seemed to be the only one who liked #3 the most.

I do love how the streetlight looks in the first one.

Six on
  • Options
    I like how in the third, it seems like the bridge is rising out of the tree canopy... It's a really appealing division in the photo.

• Options
    Thanks, and yeah, that’s my favorite part of it. You can just see enough detail to tell it’s not photoshopped, but the trees frame the invisible part of the bridge really well

• Options
    Yup! That's the same reason I like it too!

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    (edit, this is the AC photos thread not the SE++ photos thread, sorry):

Some photos from a bike ride on the weekend; the drive out was nice much the same way the prairies are always nice:
    BluG2kE.jpg

and there were some good views on the way to the top:
    AlaHxDh.jpg
    CiXHEFb.jpg
    vRz7IaU.jpg

and while this isn't technically much to speak of, I was still pretty happy to get it:
    vfQzRc2.jpg

djmitchella on
  • Options
    Is that Alberta? Or somewhere in 'murica?

• Options
    Yeah, in AB, it's the Highwood Pass ride. The road's closed to motorised traffic between december and mid-june, so around this time of year a lot of people ride bikes up there while it's still clear of cars. (more ride-specific details in the bike thread here)

• Options
    Yeah, in AB, it's the Highwood Pass ride. The road's closed to motorised traffic between december and mid-june, so around this time of year a lot of people ride bikes up there while it's still clear of cars. (more ride-specific details in the bike thread here)

Haven't had a chance to drive through there, when I lived in Calgary. Used to drive up to Invermere in BC fairly regularly though. Really miss those mountains, and would love to go back and photograph now that I have the right equipment.

• Options
    What's wrong with the pictures of this waterproof camera case?
    5041746-NOC02.jpg?w=600&h=600&auto=format&q=60&fit=fill&bg=FFF

The thing that first caught my eye is that they're using an Olympus OM-10. The first SLR camera I owned was an OM-10, and it's fine, I guess, as a starting point, but there are an awful lot of better options out there, even within the Olympus range; the OM-10 is the bottom of the line model. But it's not the fact it's an OM-10 -vs- an OM-4Ti (or whatever) that's the problem, it's more fundamental than that. Let's go to the next picture and things will become clearer, if you aren't familiar with OM bodies:

5041746-NOC02-ALT-BACK.jpg?w=600&h=600&auto=format&q=40&fit=fill&bg=FFF

Here we go... There's no motordrive in the body itself, and they don't have the motordrive attachment mounted, so you'd have to use the film advance lever on the right to get to the next shot.

Now, maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that it would be very difficult to use the film advance lever through a big waterproof bag like that...

• Options
    The key is to use a waterproof camera.

• Options
    Got back my first developed roll out of the Canonet:

50017402166_e08e12be5e_c.jpg17-06-20_Canonet-TriX_3 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

50017663192_1d76386baa_c.jpg17-06-20_Canonet-TriX_2 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

50016876323_84efe8bb21_c.jpg17-06-20_Canonet-TriX_0 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

50017402271_d015904d63_c.jpg17-06-20_Canonet-TriX_1 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

• Options
    Nice!!

Finally dusting off the camera myself. Been a bit of a lazy bum lol.

50010997001_8ca14485b0_c.jpg

• Options
    I took some shots with the digital camera this weekend, as we went down to Corpus for a bit. Need to review and see if I got anything good this evening, but on quick glance I will say that nothing really jumps out at me. :(

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It's been a nice weekend:

jmbnf1vg8xn5.jpg
    aw94buec2wmx.jpg
    a7zs1ctm9o0j.jpg
    f5gsiuao7ck1.jpg
    h4eq8kjs0fla.jpg

Last time out, ~5% of the shots I took I liked enough to fully process and keep, and only a few were duplicates of other shots. Is this what getting better is like?

I have taken 28000 pictures since I got my camera 9 months ago. Definite spray and pray going on there, plus exposure bracketing...but it's been a fun journey. Just put in an order for a Z50 so I have something that gives me that in-viewfinder feedback of exactly what I'm going to get.

Too bad about the COVID crap; I haven't felt comfortable yet going out on hikes. Need to figure out an appropriate level of paranoia, I think.

And I think I'll go out now and take some more pictures. :biggrin:

• Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    jmbnf1vg8xn5.jpg

Oooh! I saw one of those this week too!
    kzga56t6gfjd.jpg

But because of it's clear shape and color, I figured it'd be fun to really try some out-there editing choices. I think they came out pretty neat!
    hpe7i59phwqu.jpg

v2zuv6j48ttp.jpg

• Options
    So, I took the opportunity to upgrade my lens for my Fuji this weekend. I've been rocking the 'kit' lens (18-55mm 2.8-4.0) since I bought into the system in 2017, and then added a 35mm 2.0 last year. My local camera shop here in Austin had an expo this weekend, and were offering pretty good prices on trade-ins, and couple that with a sale running on the Fuji red badge zooms it felt like a good time to upgrade my glass.

Walked out of the shop yesterday with a 16-55mm 2.8, and saved an additional 10% because it was open box. It's a heavy beast of a lens, but it pairs pretty well with the X-H1, and makes my whole kit weather sealed. Doesn't have the OIS of the 18-55mm, but the X-H1 has IBIS, so no real loss there. All in all, with trade-ins, sale and open box, I got that lens for about 1/3 the regular price... which felt like a no-brainer.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Since we are doing flowers... some of the roses in the front garden (applied Fuji Classic Chrome in post, hence the washed out look):

50035786697_50818bec7b_c.jpg

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Well because I took some more flower photos I liked, and I want to inflict them on all of you:

j400snfrzcb7.jpg
    9dgonjt5wfqk.jpg
    7aw2a385v78q.jpg

• Options
    Figured out how to batch convert so I can downsample these images to something a bit more amenable to the forums...and starting to play with just using black and white too!

fv9fjigj4z7z.jpg
    ky3x6qole7ss.jpg
    yzqbyezbakvp.jpg
    cxms3lo0g6ad.jpg

• Options
    (crossposting from H/A)

I'm finally at the point where I actually want to share my photos for both feedback and to show off! What a difference 8 months makes. So I once again come to all of you for help.

Which photo hosting sites/services do you recommend and what are the tradeoffs? I'm willing to pay if necessary. Not sure if social features are a requirement or not; it might be nice to get feedback. I'm not a pro, and not looking to be a pro, FWIW.

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Do people still use Flickr? That's what I used .... eons ago.

• Options
    That's what I use, though I don't post a lot of photos.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I still use flickr. SmugMug is good if youre taking on clients, because I think they have a back end set up for file drops/review. 500px is a decent site too.

A few random shots from last fall. Nothing special, more a mood than anything I guess.

50069330791_e8c57c7d1b_c.jpg

50068773768_5543420a25_c.jpg

50068776203_25c7ea7918_c.jpg

50069328696_b675df8d78_c.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    The weather hasn't been half bad for the last week or two:

tma5ovp8b6yi.jpg
    obfzvjc6fgmj.jpg
    osp7tiry5xky.jpg
    x673qrqfsh57.jpg
    kbmiqr977i3k.jpg
    uobydy0d8l5f.jpg

• Options
    How does everybody feel about comets?

mrjrvi152d86.jpg

(now that I'm starting to look at astrophotography...holy hell that hobby has requirements that need a completely different set of gear)

• Options
    edited July 2020
    @Orca Oh wow! Nicely done!!

Experimenting with a little bit of a different look. Feels a little directionless to me. But it was a good experiment to try some new stuff!

50106948607_8449720ef6_c.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    Hello everybody!

xp70ys0mc26g.jpg

I think it's time for some bugs!

s58e16a83rze.jpg
    qfglp4nrcy0f.jpg
    auhj6hbxivl4.jpg
    mbapp7rgctzi.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2020
    Was going through old photos looking for something and stumbled across a couple of dozen pics I took after the fires ripped through the family property back in January.
    I'd forgotten my camera battery charger when I went down, so just took these with my phone, which is probably why they got forgotten. Well, that, and I find them quite hard to look at.

50205228097_f53c1f7d78_c.jpg

50204424623_9191607c68_c.jpg

50205225932_5f174e1b7f_c.jpg

50205227002_28785153f6_c.jpg

50205226167_ea718f7963_c.jpg

tynic on
  • Options
    Wow, that last one and those scarred hillsides. Just...oof.