As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Summer 2020 [TV]: Revenge of the Bachelor

ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday ArmadilloI'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
edited June 2020 in Social Entropy++
summer-premiere-dates-tv-2020.jpg

June has arrived and we're effectively in the summer, which means we are getting a new season quarter of TV shows.

Here they are!
The full summer 2020 lineup

Monday, May 25
Barkskins (Nat Geo)

Tuesday, May 26
America’s Got Talent (NBC)
World of Dance (NBC)

Wednesday, May 27
American Soul (BET)
Craftopia (HBO Max)
Game On! (CBS)
Legendary (HBO Max)
Looney Tunes Cartoons (HBO Max)
Love Life (HBO Max)
Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD (ABC)
The Not-Too-Late Show With Elmo (HBO Max)

Friday, May 29
Central Park (Apple TV+)
Ramy (Hulu)
Space Force (Netflix)
Somebody Feed Phil (Netflix)

Sunday, May 31
Celebrity Family Feud (ABC)
Laurel Canyon (Epix)
Match Game (ABC)
Press Your Luck (ABC)
Quiz (AMC)

Monday, June 1
90 Day Fiance: The Other Way (TLC)
Below Deck Mediterranean (Bravo)

Tuesday, June 2
Dirty John: The Betty Broderick Story (USA)
Fuller House (Netflix)

Thursday, June 4
Forged in Fire: Beat the Judges (History)

Friday, June 5
13 Reasons Why (Netflix)
Dear … (Apple TV+)
Queer Eye (Netflix)
RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars (VH1)
We Are Freestyle Love Supreme (Hulu)

Sunday, June 7
I May Destroy You (HBO)
30 For 30: Be Water (ESPN)
The Bachelor: The Greatest Seasons … Ever! (ABC)

Wednesday, June 10
Lenox Hill (Netflix)
Bulletproof (The CW)

Thursday, June 11
The Bold Type (Freeform)
Don’t (ABC)
Double Shot at Love With DJ Pauly D & Vinny (MTV)

Friday, June 12
Crossing Swords (Hulu)
Pokemon Journeys: The Series (Netflix)

Sunday, June 14
Helter Skelter: An American Myth (Epix)
Grantchester (PBS)
30 For 30: Long Gone Summer (ESPN)

Tuesday, June 16
Siesta Key (MTV)

Thursday, June 18
Syfy Wire’s The Great Debate (Syfy)

Friday, June 19
Dads (Apple TV+)
Love, Victor (Hulu)
The Politician (Netflix)
Sherman’s Showcase (IFC)
Taste the Nation With Padma Lakshmi (Hulu)

Sunday, June 21
The Chi (Showtime)
NOS4A2 (AMC)
Perry Mason (HBO)
Yellowstone (Paramount Network)

Monday, June 22
Penn & Teller: Fool Us (The CW)

Thursday, June 25
Doom Patrol (HBO Max)
Search Party (HBO Max)
The Twilight Zone (CBS All Access)

Sunday, June 28
The Story of Late Night (CNN)
United Shades of America with W. Kamau Bell (CNN)
Black Monday (Showtime)
I’ll Be Gone in the Dark (HBO)

Wednesday, July 1
Unsolved Mysteries (Netflix)
Help! I Wrecked My House (HGTV)

Friday, July 3
The Baby-Sitters Club (Netflix)
Hanna (Amazon Prime Video)

Sunday, July 5
Outcry (Showtime)

Wednesday, July 8
Tough As Nails (CBS)

Thursday, July 9
Expecting Amy (HBO Max)
Close Enough (HBO Max)

Wednesday, July 15
Brave New World (Peacock)
The Capture (Peacock)
Intelligence (Peacock)
Psych 2: Lassie Come Home (Peacock)

Thursday, July 16
The House of Ho (HBO Max)

Friday, July 24
Room 104 (HBO)

Tuesday, July 28
Maxxx (Hulu)

Thursday, July 30
Frayed (HBO Max)
In My Skin (Hulu)

Friday, July 31
The Umbrella Academy (Netflix)

Sunday, August 9
The Good Lord Bird (Showtime)

Friday, August 14
Ted Lasso (Apple TV+)

Sunday, August 30
Love Fraud (Showtime)

August TBD
Lovecraft Country (HBO)
Love in the Time of Corona (Freeform)

Myself? I'm going to continue to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

So, what is everyone watching while America collapses?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
Zonugal on

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    you did a lot of work there

totally unnecessary, Hyori's B&B is still on Netflix

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the wife and I have been watching the new "Somebody Feed Phil" season, it's a nice positive food show, good for relaxing at the end of the day.

Also speaking of food shows, I have to admit that the Amy Schumer Learns to Cook show on Food Network is quite good. Her husband is a professional chef and the two of them have a charming dynamic with him as the extremely straight man. It's shot quarantine-style by their live-in nanny and a few stationary cameras around the kitchen. If you don't hate Amy Schumer then it's worth checking out.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    S3 finale of Killing Eve features probably my favorite scene of the series so far.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    that's ... a startling number of shows I don't care about, goddamn.
    maybe I need to finally pick up HBO, ugh.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I made this thread so I could talk about Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I finished the second season today.

Here are my very official thoughts:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 2

Master Character Ranking
    #1. -- Cordelia
    #2. -- Spike
    #3. -- Angelus
    #4. -- Giles
    #5. -- Buffy
    #6. -- Willow
    #7. -- Oz
    #8. -- Angel
    #9. -- Jennifer Calender
    #10. -- Joyce Summers
    #11. -- Xander

Best Five Episodes of the Season

--What’s My Name Part #1 & #2 (2.9/2.10)
    Spike brings in three professional bounty hunters to eliminate Buffy while she ponders on what her profession might be if her fate wasn't already sealed.
    Buffy joins forces with another Slayer in hopes of saving Angel from the clutches of Spike and Drusilla.

--Passion (2.17)
    Angel steps up his torment of Buffy and her friends as Jenny searches for a way to restore his soul.

--Ted (2.11)
    Buffy's mom introduces her new boyfriend, who charms everyone except Buffy. When she confronts his dark side, she is left questioning her actions.

--School Hard (2.3)
    Buffy's mother and friends become trapped inside Sunnydale High School when a vampire named Spike launches an attack against the Slayer on Parent-Teacher night.

--Halloween (2.6)
    On Halloween, Buffy and her friends patronize an unusual costume shop where customers turn into whatever costume they are wearing.

Best Quote of the Season
    --Cordelia: It was a nightmare. A total nightmare. They promised me they'd take me to St Croix, then they decide to go to Tuscany. Art and buildings. I was totally beachless for a month and a half. No one has suffered like I have suffered. Of course, that kind of adversity builds character. But then I already have a lot of character. Can you have too much character?

Best Season Moment
    -- Literally everything with Cyborg John Ritter

Zonugal on
  • Options
    that Halloween episode was pretty great.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    I'm saddened by how low Jenny is on that list.

Listen, she had my favorite quote in the first season but she isn't very exciting in the second season...

• Options
    yeah those rankings look about right for S2. I probably would have swapped Oz and Buffy, but I never really liked buffy herself.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    I've started watching Holey Moley, which is the spiritual successor to Wipeout, where people get hurt for money. But they must have filmed this in the depths of winter, when someone messes up and falls in the water it looks like they're freezing, and the show doesn't give them blankets, at least on camera. They all look so miserable, I can't believe the crew just lets them stand there and freeze.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    New TV I've watched:

Just finished Legends of Tomorrow season 5 (would recommend!)
    Just started Central Park season 1 (from the Bob's Burgers creator!)
    I'm in the middle of Harley Quinn season 2 (better and gayer than the first!), Stargirl (very very good!) and Penny Dreadful: City of Angels season 1 (I really liked the most recent episode!)

On the summer 2020 lineup:

I am already watching: Central Park
    I will definitely watch: Love Life; Love, Victor; NOS4A2; Perry Mason; Doom Patrol; Twilight Zone; Room 104; Umbrella Academy; Lovecraft Country
    I plan to watch: American Soul (a friend's cousin is in this!); everything on HBO Max; Queer Eye; Drag Race; anything else there that's gay but hasn't immediately caught my eye already; Ramy
    I'll try to watch someday: Nearly everything else
    The exceptions to "Nearly everything else" that I'm specifically going to need at least a handful of recommendations from before I can start: Space Force; Love in the Time of Corona

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The real Twilight Zone is someone actually subscribing to CBS All Access, am I right?

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I've been going through Young Justice from the start (I had previously caught a couple of episodes and wasn't compelled at the time) and it's pretty solid. I won't say I love it right now, but it's showing some of the maturer elements I'd heard about and I recently passed a Wally development episode so now he sucks less.

Totally ready for The Light to stop factoring into the big "surprise" reveals at the end though.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

The whole list is a shambles.

If it's a Master list, it only needs one entry, surely, and that one isn't even on it!

We're clearly dealing with a demented mind.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    We watched The Great last week and now I can't stop saying Huzzah

Good show though

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Have you run out of cups and glasses yet?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    We just started watching On My Block on Netflix.

The trailer made it look kind of silly and dumb, and it is at times, but at other times it’s a very serious and real look into what it’s like to be a minority growing up in the inner city.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The only new stuff I'm watching this summer is the next season of shows I'm already a fan of; Blindspot, Agents of SHIELD, The 100, Vikings, In The Dark, and Killing Eve (whenever S3 hits Hulu).

Wait! I just started watching DC's Stargirl, and that's new.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Giles is #1.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    My wife is doing another Buffy re-watch.

Folks, we need to chat about how bad the stunt doubles and fight scenes are. They are..so very bad.

And honestly? Most of the acting is bad, especially the early seasons.

It's near and dear to my heart but it's flaws are pretty glaring on this run.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    Have you run out of cups and glasses yet?

Almost. just had to order new Snaps glasses.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

It's maybe one of my favorite episodes of the show.

Although my real favorite thing is every time Xander tries to use it to explain that actually he does know about military stuff because he was sort of a soldier for a little bit there.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

It's maybe one of my favorite episodes of the show.

Although my real favorite thing is every time Xander tries to use it to explain that actually he does know about military stuff because he was sort of a soldier for a little bit there.

Its the equivalent of Xander getting military training uploaded into his brain like in the Matrix.

Its very dumb and I love it.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think it might have even been called out as a specific rule for our Buffy drinking game, now that I think about it

Although it just generally falls under the "Referencing a Past/Future Episode" rule too I guess

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I watched the new Hannah Gadsby special on Netflix last night. It was so good. She's a master of just sprinkling references and callbacks in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My wife is doing another Buffy re-watch.

Folks, we need to chat about how bad the stunt doubles and fight scenes are. They are..so very bad.

And honestly? Most of the acting is bad, especially the early seasons.

It's near and dear to my heart but it's flaws are pretty glaring on this run.

yeah I tried to watch S1 again a few years ago and couldn't hack it. My memory is that all of those things have something of an upward trajectory through the series, at least.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    tv, eh?

- Went through Primal. Fairly impressed. Would not say no to more episodes
    - Watched the first episode of The Jetsons. Constantly surprised as the episode went on. I am no longer sure what the show even is.
    - - the laugh track threw me
    - - the robot maid shop owner referred to the Jetsons' house as a "slum clearance project"
    - - Mrs. Spacely is protesting and is excited to hold a sign saying, "Martians go home"
    - - Elroy's Public School routinely sends kids to the wrong house
    - Finished the new Looney Tunes
    - - a few minor complaints here and there; some praise; but I loved the interstitials.
    - never got around to Samurai Jack as a kid, so I'm giving that a try. Not impressed yet.
    - - naturally I recognized Aku's voice, which made me a bit sad.
    - re-visiting Dexter's Laboratory, and I'm a bit bummed that I'm not really feeling it
    - also thought I might re-visit Ronin Warriors (aka Samurai Troopers), but it's, at least initially, pretty hard to take.
    - - if it's not the narrator recounting what just happened, it's that we're introduced to all of them at once. There's no sense of gathering the party, growing into their powers, or earning anything. Might stick with it, but I have the impression it's not recalled fondly, so...

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    So in the Killing Eve Season 1 finale...
    Eve stabs Villanelle and leaves her for dead.

Then in the Season 2 finale...
    Villanelle shoots Eve and leaves her for dead.

Now in the Season 3 finale...
    Eve and Villanelle are dating now, I guess?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    sure am glad I quit watching that show

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »

The whole list is a shambles.

If it's a Master list, it only needs one entry, surely, and that one isn't even on it!

We're clearly dealing with a demented mind.

I made this joke for season one!

Shorty wrote: »
    sure am glad I quit watching that show

This made me click those spoilers even though I only finished season one. And now I'm extra glad.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    getting the impression you all watch the show for different reasons than a lot of its biggest fans do, for better or worse

• Options
    I'm watching it as a dark comedy. It's deeply problematic at times, but I find it entertaining.

Villainelle's actress is consistently impressive.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2020
    Fuck! For being a show with silly shit in it On My Block hits FUCKING HARD when it hits.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    What’s the consensus on Dragon Prince?

I found it to scratch a bit of an ATLA itch, but the first season’s animation is a bit jerky so far

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    What’s the consensus on Dragon Prince?

I found it to scratch a bit of an ATLA itch, but the first season’s animation is a bit jerky so far

The animation gets a lot better in the later season, and they're pretty consistently good in fights. It's slower stuff where the computer and budget shows the most early on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I... did not realize that was the Killing Eve season finale

Figured we had a couple more

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I... did not realize that was the Killing Eve season finale

Figured we had a couple more

That final confrontation scene with everyone in the living room was just perfect.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    "Anyway, see you later, Black Peter."

Good WWDitS tonight.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Flarne wrote: »
    We watched The Great last week and now I can't stop saying Huzzah

Good show though

This is super nitpicky and not directed at you, but because the 18th century is my main period of study I always feel compelled to make this point:

while today almost everyone thinks that word was pronounced as you spelled it, in the period it's almost always spelled without the h at the end - 'huzza' - and probably was pronounced at least as often with a hard 'a' sound as the softer 'ah' sound, if not significantly more commonly. Based on rhyming poetry, songs, etc. There's some debate in the field, some people think it may be regional, etc etc but just because "huzzah" is considered today to just be the "accepted" pronunciation I always try to encourage more use of "huzzay".

.... erm, sorry.

Also I have never understood why the Bachelor is popular.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
This discussion has been closed.