As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Is it even nutritionally dense enough for us to be worth the effort of harvesting?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Is it even nutritionally dense enough for us to be worth the effort of harvesting?

Doubtful.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    The jellyfish I’ve had was pretty mild in and of itself, mostly taking on the flavor of whatever it was mixed with. It’s got a scrunchy texture, kinda weird at first but not bad. Good in a salad, like a strange matchstick-cut cucumber.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jellyfish has almost no nutritional value for humans.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah most seafood that's sustainable is also unfortunately pretty meh. I think mussels are ok, maybe some other bivalves.
    I love catfish though, it doesn't taste at all like mud FITE ME!

Now carp ... carp tastes like licking a pond.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    yeah most seafood that's sustainable is also unfortunately pretty meh. I think mussels are ok, maybe some other bivalves.
    I love catfish though, it doesn't taste at all like mud FITE ME!

Now carp ... carp tastes like licking a pond.

Yea Catfish is super good cooked up right.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    They finally fixed my main burner on my stove

Gonna cook steaks on there in a few days yep

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure shrimp is sustainable, also delicious.

Ah yeah, about that. Nope.

However, if one is in the US, then Asian Carp are (1) super invasive and (2) apparently pretty decent for freshwater fish. You can eat them all day every day with a clear conscience.

V1m on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever had catfish that was offensively bad.

I could go my entire life without eating Bass ever again though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure shrimp is sustainable, also delicious.

Ah yeah, about that. Nope.

However, if one is in the US, then Asian Carp are (1) super invasive and (2) apparently pretty decent for freshwater fish. You can eat them all day every day with a clear conscience.

Ah bummer, I figured that was something pretty easily farmable.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Catfish is excellent but again, I'm not sure I've ever had it in a form that wasn't deep fried with hush puppies on the side. I'll keep an eye out for it though. I may just have to try tilapia again. There must be some way to make it not gross.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    catfish is a good delivery mechanism for tartar sauce and tabasco

Juggernut wrote: »
    Catfish is excellent but again, I'm not sure I've ever had it in a form that wasn't deep fried with hush puppies on the side. I'll keep an eye out for it though. I may just have to try tilapia again. There must be some way to make it not gross.

Tilapia is so bland that I usually do some sort of cajun rub if I eat it.

Are you getting some that actively taste bad or just have like zero flavor?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I've tried to make tilapia work three times, and have decided there's nothing I can do to make it not taste like Actual Mud.

The last time I tried it, I used a hot chili black bean paste and ponzu. If that doesn't erase the flavor of something, nothing will.

The best tilapia I ever made tasted absolutely neutral. That is the non-deep fryed highlight of tilapia for me.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I've tried to make tilapia work three times, and have decided there's nothing I can do to make it not taste like Actual Mud.

The last time I tried it, I used a hot chili black bean paste and ponzu. If that doesn't erase the flavor of something, nothing will.

I recently learned you're supposed to rise/washout catfish before cooking it, maybe it's the same thing with tilapia?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    I find tilapia really tasty as well, I wonder if there's some odour/taste conflict that other people hit on which I'm not getting? For me, carp is pretty yuck, and cod is utterly pointless (I've had styrofoam with more flavour), but apart from those two, I'm not sure I've ever had a fish that I disliked, provided it was freshly caught.

I can understand people not liking mackerel and other oily fish, they're pretty strongly flavoured, so could be confronting if you're not into it.

My sense of smell works great and as I said I like tilapia, though I won't claim it has a strong flavor compared to salmon or tuna. Definitely doesn't taste like dirt or sludge to me.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea could it be a cilantro kind of situation?

edited June 2020
    I find tilapia really tasty as well, I wonder if there's some odour/taste conflict that other people hit on which I'm not getting? For me, carp is pretty yuck, and cod is utterly pointless (I've had styrofoam with more flavour), but apart from those two, I'm not sure I've ever had a fish that I disliked, provided it was freshly caught.

I can understand people not liking mackerel and other oily fish, they're pretty strongly flavoured, so could be confronting if you're not into it.

See, I like cod. I wouldn't go out of my way to grab cod over pollock or hake or halibut, but it's usable in similar dishes and capacities. I would absolutely grab cod over and of the others is price was the main factor of consideration.

Pinfeldorf on
    That'd be interesting if it was. Might probably be where it's from, like maybe there's some sort of shitty tilapia from bumfuckia nowhere that tastes like shit that some stores buy because it's not a hot seller for them.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I don't know how reputable McGill is, but here is an article about tilapia

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/nutrition-quackery/tilapia-and-poop-connection

edited June 2020
    I don't know how reputable McGill is, but here is an article about tilapia

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/nutrition-quackery/tilapia-and-poop-connection

that's really more about the health benefits and not really about the taste

edit: also McGill are a pretty major canadian university so it's about as reliable as a press release from any research office

tynic on
    I should also note I live in a harbor town so all seafood I taste is pretty fresh, if you live inland I can imagine the quality might rapidly decrease.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Tilapia tastes muddy to me. Might be a regional thing - like where and how certain tilapia were bred/caught?

Catfish is delicious, but I haven't had it often enough to discern a muddy taste from 'em. I've heard that more associated with tilapia.

Also I love cod, despite its extremely mild flavor. It's just a great fish when you want a lot of food, and a lot of protein with no fuss. I love salmon too but it's much more fatty/oily so I can't have as much of it in one sitting.

Gimme all the cod.

Tilapia tastes muddy to me. Might be a regional thing - like where and how certain tilapia were bred/caught?

Catfish is delicious, but I haven't had it often enough to discern a muddy taste from 'em. I've heard that more associated with tilapia.

Also I love cod, despite its extremely mild flavor. It's just a great fish when you want a lot of food, and a lot of protein with no fuss. I love salmon too but it's much more fatty/oily so I can't have as much of it in one sitting.

Gimme all the cod.

I love a nice chili, lime and cilantro grilled cod filet. Side of wild rice and blam wham kabam!

I have acquired two fine thick Angus ribeye steaks

I want to cook them tonight but claw wants to wait til tomorrow.

But that's not important right now. I should salt and pepper them well ahead of cooking them correct? How much salt? They are each around .85lbs

Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Gimme all the cod.

I love a nice chili, lime and cilantro grilled cod filet. Side of wild rice and blam wham kabam!

Cod is good, anything but bass. Ugh I can still taste that bass I ate like 6 years ago.

Uriel wrote: »
    I have acquired two fine thick Angus ribeye steaks

I want to cook them tonight but claw wants to wait til tomorrow.

But that's not important right now. I should salt and pepper them well ahead of cooking them correct? How much salt? They are each around .85lbs

I personally don't salt and pepper until i am pre-heating the pan. I just do a light dusting of both for a bit of flavor. The star of the show is the meat.

I'm going to have to get used to my main burner again now that it's fixed.

I hope I don't end up overcooking them.

What temp on my instant read should I take them off at? I always forget

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    There's an argument to be made for a generous salting (just salt) on each side 30 min or an hour before you cook them as it can help build a better crust, but that's more of a nuance thing.

Uriel wrote: »
    I'm going to have to get used to my main burner again now that it's fixed.

I hope I don't end up overcooking them.

What temp on my instant read should I take them off at? I always forget

A couple degrees under the doneness you want. Theres plenty of temperature charts online for the actual doneness.

3clipse wrote: »
    There's an argument to be made for a generous salting (just salt) on each side 30 min or an hour before you cook them as it can help build a better crust, but that's more of a nuance thing.

Also with good meat from a good butcher this is less of an issue, but sometimes supermarket beef can be over hydrated, so you can draw out excess moisture by salting some hours before, then brushing off the water saturated salt before cooking. But that’s not something I would say is always necessary, it depends mostly on the aging and packaging process.

edited June 2020

Also with good meat from a good butcher this is less of an issue, but sometimes supermarket beef can be over hydrated, so you can draw out excess moisture by salting some hours before, then brushing off the water saturated salt before cooking. But that’s not something I would say is always necessary, it depends mostly on the aging and packaging process.

Good point! Also before throwing in the pan whatever beef you're cooking, pat it dry with a paper towel, even if it looks dry. If that water flashes to steam it won't sear.

webguy20 on
    mhcotoxiwatp.jpg

Patting it dry would have helped to remember but it still turned out very tasty if a little further on the rare side than I usually do. But it didn't taste underdone.

Looks great!

Now I want steak.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That’s a nice looking middle you got there.

(Personally I am of the school of thought you salt for the longest time coveinient to you)

I've never thought about this and now I wanna cook a steak and try it.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Help me, Cooking thread:

I've tried a couple of brands of teriyaki sauce now, and they all seem to be pretty indistinguishable from plain/regular soy sauce. When I've gotten prepared food - teriyaki chicken with rice, or meatballs - the sauce is much thicker, almost syrupy, and noticeably sweet. Where can I find that, and how do I tell the difference on the shelf?

I'm a fan of Soy Vay products, and to get everything thicker you have to cook it down a bit, or use a bit of thickening agent like corn starch. if you want it sweeter I'm a fan of just adding a touch of brown sugar or honey.

This discussion has been closed.