As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Federal judge rules against Treasure Dept.

1235»

• Options
    KMGorKMGor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    KMGor wrote:
    Oh, and I just have one thing to add... As far as I can recall, most US-based businesses are required to take any legal currency in the US. I believe businesses can not simply refuse your money because it is old or whatever - for example, they can't refuse $2s. Just in response to people talking about "exchanging" currency. They can't and won't do it that way.
    They still can, because the idea is simply that the business accepts your old-school money, sends it to the bank with the rest of the money for deposit, bank looks at your prehistoric bill and destroys it. The result is one fewer out of date bill, and they are eventually phased out.

Well, yes, but I was just arguing against the people who were saying "People will get screwed over when we have to change our money over!".

KMGor on
  • Options
    RydarkRydark Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    While you guys are at it, switch to metric for chrissake.

Rydark on
    Rydark.png
  • Options
    KMGorKMGor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Rydark wrote:

You can have my inches, thimbles, hands, and hog's heads when you pull them from my cold, dead hands.

KMGor on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    KMGor wrote:
    Rydark wrote:

You can have my inches, thimbles, hands, and hog's heads when you pull them from my cold, dead hands.

They're just trying to make it easier for the U.N. to invade.

Shinto on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    mcdermott wrote:
    For those with such extreme visual impairment, the new features such as embossing, size difference, or braille that will (hopefully) be added to help the blind might actually be just as effective...though yes, obviously color-coding would be easier. So this is a fair point.

I'd say the number of people who're color-blind roughly equals the number of people who are almost legally blind but have strange conditions that preclude them from wearing contacts and are also prone to staring at their money in the rain.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:
    For those with such extreme visual impairment, the new features such as embossing, size difference, or braille that will (hopefully) be added to help the blind might actually be just as effective...though yes, obviously color-coding would be easier. So this is a fair point.

I'd say the number of people who're color-blind roughly equals the number of people who are almost legally blind but have strange conditions that preclude them from wearing contacts and are also prone to staring at their money in the rain.

Those who were colorblind would have no problem reading the numbers, though...it isn't like we're talking about color-coding instead of having the denominations printed on them. There'd be no change really for the colorblind.
    Rydark wrote:

For reals, you. I hate our entire system of measurement. All of it.

Except Fahrenheit. But we've been over this.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    GiganticusGiganticus Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    DELETED

Giganticus on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

"Color-blindness" is a complete misnomer, though, since it practically never means "the inability to perceive color". The vast majority of the "color blind", in general, are only incapable of distinguishing between two distinct colors of the same shade, and apprehend all other colors fine. Provide you vary the brightness of the color along with the color in each denomination, they can distinguish them as well as the non "color blind" population.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    So . . . you were confused by all the very large font numbers at each corner of the bill and the denomination of the bill written out across the bottom of each side?

Speaking from my own experience, I've handed over way too much money accidentally while in the States a few times.

I think it's because, in the UK, when you dig through your wallet for multiple notes(bills) you can safely assume that no note in the stack you pull out is larger in denomination than the note on the top of the stack. So, when going for £40, my brain says to take a stack of four notes of the same size with a £10 on the top. If that was dollars, I may have just handed over a $10, $20 and two $50.

The US is the only place I've been where this is the case. Everywhere else has used different sized notes. The fact that they're all the same colour as well doesn't help.

japan on
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    khain wrote:
    DeepQantas wrote:
    Hm. Hey guys. If anything the different sized bills make them wallets more orderly. That's my case at least up to 50 eurobucks.

It does? I already order the bills in my wallet by denomination anyway and I usually tend to take them all out as a stack and then flip through them when I pay in cash.

Well, that's two steps eliminated right there, then. Three if you count putting back the unused bills.

KMGor wrote:
    Sometimes being seen as stubborn, stupid and backwards in regards to stuff like currency and measurement systems as compared to Europeans/Australians makes me feel sort of proud.

Now that you mention it, pride and (stupid?) stubbornness might actually go hand in hand in general. I know the land mine issue hit my national sensibilities a few years back and I probably would've felt a bit of pride had we decided to keep them. Or at least smug, which we all know is poor man's pride. ;)

I'll have to think about that.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    japan wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    So . . . you were confused by all the very large font numbers at each corner of the bill and the denomination of the bill written out across the bottom of each side?

Speaking from my own experience, I've handed over way too much money accidentally while in the States a few times.

I think it's because, in the UK, when you dig through your wallet for multiple notes(bills) you can safely assume that no note in the stack you pull out is larger in denomination than the note on the top of the stack. So, when going for £40, my brain says to take a stack of four notes of the same size with a £10 on the top. If that was dollars, I may have just handed over a $10, $20 and two $50.

The US is the only place I've been where this is the case. Everywhere else has used different sized notes. The fact that they're all the same colour as well doesn't help.

So, you're saying that a monetary system rather different from the one whose nuances you have had ingrained into you from constant use took some getting used to?

moniker on
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well, would you see an american already used to dealing with same size, same color bills confusing one european note for another?

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    DeepQantas wrote:
    Well, would you see an american already used to dealing with same size, same color bills confusing one european note for another?

Yes?

Shinto on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    DeepQantas wrote:

Seeing how I did a few times while I was over there....

moniker on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    The only thing metric has going for it is that it's easier to perform math on it since it's all base-10.

However, I kinda like using both. One seems to work better for some things, one works well for other things.

Back to money, how many people here have had places try to refuse a 2$ bill? I've had it happen to me 2 or 3 times.

FyreWulff on