As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Minneapolis thread 2: we can't use the funny haha subtitle anymore

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Just a random twitter person, don't even know if the video is recent (the tweet was yesterday), but I enjoy the connection here

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    People will always come up with new and exciting ways to hurt other people so long as it is unquestioned that you do need to hurt other people. In that framework you can position destroying the eardrums of a thousand protestors or dropping a nuclear bomb on hundreds of thousands of civilians as ultimately a merciful act

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    People will always come up with new and exciting ways to hurt other people so long as it is unquestioned that you do need to hurt other people. In that framework you can position destroying the eardrums of a thousand protestors or dropping a nuclear bomb on hundreds of thousands of civilians as ultimately a merciful act

that's some tricky shit, you could easily apply that reasoning to the people who make weapons themselves

full disclosure, i work in a factory that occasionally does DOD subcontracting. it bugs the hell out of me that the owners of the company allow their capital to be used toward that shit, and i kinda resent the fact that i'm vaguely complicit too because i gotta pay rent

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Regarding hearing protection against weaponised noise machines - double up.

Get the good foam ear plugs, AND a good set of muffs. It'll make conversation difficult, but it'll also attenuate enough volume that your hearing won't be damaged even by very loud noise, like a jet engine at close range.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    You can get silicon earplugs that you mould to your ears so they fit perfectly for a very reasonable price.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    At the very least buy some quad flanged earplugs from home depot or somewhere, but yeah double hearing protection is ideal.

Quad flanged plugs + muffs is what we were required to use when working on the airfield; those things are no joke.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

e: ah nevermind, the source is just talking about the original investigation opening around May 21st, prior to the protests

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dunno how far we are past LRADs but Benn Jordan (musician) posted a video about them yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sqIvak-4Ek

Einzel on
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    At least engineers can produce something useful on their own. What are business majors competent at when they graduate? Counting beans?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Won't stop municipal curfews, but it's good to see, and doubly so after the county sheriff said they'd continue until organized protests stop. Gotta keep the pressure up!

• KadithKadith Registered User regular

Date on the article mentioning the case is the 22nd.

zkHcp.jpg
    edited June 2020
    Kadith wrote: »

bleh ok, yeah false alarm, it was never closed, that article is about the original investigation being opened

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So this Griffin Newman tweet made the rounds in the last thread.

But I just realized something: I once played the Sergeant of Police in a production of The Pirates of Penzance.

With catlike tread...
    5jijv44f2caw.jpg

Tynnan on
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

bleh ok, yeah false alarm, it was never closed, that article is about the original investigation being opened

I hate the fact that I need to be way more scrutinizing on good news than bad right now.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

This is really good

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    The thing that ties all of these together, in my opinion as someone who has zero desire to ever work in weapon design, is the utter failure of professional organizations to require more humanities courses, with some focussed on ethics in particular

People get into the idea of making a thing and never consider the actual ramifications in tech because no one really taught them they should, or even how

When I took Business Ethics in college, our professor told us that he attempted to schedule the class as to make it attractive to business majors.

He found that business majors weren't registering for it though, so he asked the business department.

And this is what he effectively reported to us:
    Ethics Professor: Your students aren't registering for my class.
    Business Department: Our students don't exactly want to sit in a philosophy class for 2.5 hours two days a week...

Ethics Professor: *returning, having adjusted the class* Okay, I rescheduled the class and now its Monday through Friday, one hour each class.
    Business Department: Yeah... Our students usually don't have classes on Fridays, as they like three day weekends.
    Ethics Professor: Fuck your garbage students.

So, even if ethics is offered, there can be obstacles in having students even look at it as an option.

I am superbiased, but

business / economics students not caring about ethics is really no fucking surprise

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

"you all obviously wouldn't know what apples are so I'll use fast food in the metaphor instead" fuck off pig

BahamutZERO.gif
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    1) What? What.

2) People stop eating at places after one bad experience there all the fucking time you goddamn buffoon

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Officer Big Mac is not to be trusted.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Like, he knows that if that happens, the restaurant gets shut down for a health inspection and massive amounts of meat are thrown out due to suspected contamination, right?

it's fascinating how the meaning of the "one bad apple" expression has bifurcated because people use the first half without remembering the second half is "spoils the barrel"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

That's a good metaphor because actually all McDonald's are bad.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    the ad is apparently for a fake security company in an upcoming film

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I've just learned there's going to be a BLM protest in Hartwell, Georgia tomorrow. I live very close to Hartwell, which boasts a population of about 4,500.
    Hart County Sheriff Mike Cleveland told The Sun he received word a protest is being planned for Friday and that he and Hartwell Police Chief Anthony Davis will be there to speak to the crowd.

Cleveland said sheriff's deputies and police officers will be on standby to ensure the protest remains peaceful.

A Facebook event page says the protest is a "Black Lives Matter Protest" against racial injustice and advocates for attendees to remain peaceful and respectful.

Hartwell, btw, officially became a "Second Amendment Sanctuary" back in February this year.
    ...the Hartwell City Council voted to make Hartwell a Second Amendment Sanctuary municipality.

As with the Franklin County Second Amendment Sanctuary Resolution, Hartwell’s resolution states that the City will not use its own resources to enforce any federal government order to enforce gun control laws, but noted they are not able to stop state and federal authorities from enforcing those laws in the City.

I'm both very curious how this will play out and honestly very surprised to see a protest planned for such a small rural town in Georgia. Seeing protests happening in Athens was no surprise; it's probably one of the most liberal places in Georgia outside of Atlanta. But Hartwell?

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Maximum wrote: »
    Officer Big Mac is not to be trusted.

This guy having a hard time tracking down the Hamburglar?

Captain Inertia on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    it's fascinating how the meaning of the "one bad apple" expression has bifurcated because people use the first half without remembering the second half is "spoils the barrel"

I like this post because my brain is so incredibly broken that whenever I read the word bifurcated it immediately jumps to thinking about penises

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    the ad is apparently for a fake security company in an upcoming film

Pretty good for the real jackboots in the ongoing dystopia, though!

I ate an engineer
    Straightzi wrote: »

I like this post because my brain is so incredibly broken that whenever I read the word bifurcated it immediately jumps to thinking about penises

AUGH

BahamutZERO.gif
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

Or like ‘pull yourself up by your bootstraps’ initially meaning an impossible task not like a life mantra for capitalism

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    shut the fuck up scott

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    oh my god does Scott Adams fucking suck

edited June 2020
    reposting this thread since it's a good one to keep around, a long list of video documentation of police violence in the protests that's being continually added to:

261 incidents in the thread and counting.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.