As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Summer 2020 [TV]: Revenge of the Bachelor

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Flarne wrote: »
    We watched The Great last week and now I can't stop saying Huzzah

Good show though

This is super nitpicky and not directed at you, but because the 18th century is my main period of study I always feel compelled to make this point:

while today almost everyone thinks that word was pronounced as you spelled it, in the period it's almost always spelled without the h at the end - 'huzza' - and probably was pronounced at least as often with a hard 'a' sound as the softer 'ah' sound, if not significantly more commonly. Based on rhyming poetry, songs, etc. There's some debate in the field, some people think it may be regional, etc etc but just because "huzzah" is considered today to just be the "accepted" pronunciation I always try to encourage more use of "huzzay".

.... erm, sorry.

Also I have never understood why the Bachelor is popular.

i mean if we did period correct british accents almost everybody pre 19th century would sound like an appalachian farmhand, but this is good info
    Huzzay! is way more fun imo

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    That’s pretty cruzza

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    In a show with undead monsters, witchcraft, androids, and more the most unrealistic thing in Buffy the Vampire Slayer is that Giles wouldn't be constantly screaming at Xander.

I'm in the early portion of season three and Giles just hates Xander.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    everyone should hate xander, he fucking sucks

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Flarne wrote: »
    We watched The Great last week and now I can't stop saying Huzzah

Good show though

This is super nitpicky and not directed at you, but because the 18th century is my main period of study I always feel compelled to make this point:

while today almost everyone thinks that word was pronounced as you spelled it, in the period it's almost always spelled without the h at the end - 'huzza' - and probably was pronounced at least as often with a hard 'a' sound as the softer 'ah' sound, if not significantly more commonly. Based on rhyming poetry, songs, etc. There's some debate in the field, some people think it may be regional, etc etc but just because "huzzah" is considered today to just be the "accepted" pronunciation I always try to encourage more use of "huzzay".

.... erm, sorry.

Also I have never understood why the Bachelor is popular.

That’s just the way he says it on the show. It wouldn’t really be much of a reference to spell it a different way.

If I wanted to be historically accurate the Russian court likely didn’t speak English at all.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Started watching Future Man. It's silly and relies on crass humor mostly but I just reched the episode with the JCC and it's pretty good.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Haha like I said I am fully aware it's Not Actually a Big Deal but I just like to educate when I can.

Also @tynic admittedly yeah that's part of why, too. It's funsies!

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Wwdits
    The Nadja Glamour killed me. Im dead now. Also the implied desperation Dutch rudder

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Zonugal wrote: »
    In a show with undead monsters, witchcraft, androids, and more the most unrealistic thing in Buffy the Vampire Slayer is that Giles wouldn't be constantly screaming at Xander.

I'm in the early portion of season three and Giles just hates Xander.

Giles is far too British to scream at Xander. This is good because it gives us the moment in season three where
    everyone finds out that Angel is back, and they confront Buffy, and Giles gives her, in private, the most heartbreaking speech and then just sits down and turns his back on her to stare at the wall and it's such an amazing scene

Man, season 3 was good. I should watch that again.

Narbus on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I thought last night Wwdits was pretty weak, but I think it may be cause this season has been so good that expectations have been raised.

I'm liking Guillermo's arc, and really curious where it'll go.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    everyone should hate xander, he fucking sucks

I love Xander but I still ultimately agree with this.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I've been watching frontier on netflix and it's mostly been not great, and the season 3 cold opening was miles above anything on the show previous. Beautiful and operatic like what the fuck

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    @Zonugal (or anyone else interested) if you get an opportunity, there is a guy who does videos on Buffy, Angel and now Firefly that essentially essays about the various episodes and they are IMO really good.

check out his videos for why you should watch each show (just the Buffy one gives you a good sense of his style of videos) to see if they are something you would interested in.

https://youtu.be/DYPF0hgPjzY

https://youtu.be/mnaKuWErcQ0

https://youtu.be/AhFpdovnVNM

(I personally really like his Angel one because of his mention of the Daily Show Russian Winter Olympics & protests of Russias anti-gay laws in which the show was mentioned - you can watch it here)

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I will definitely give Angel a shot once I am down with Buffy.

I hear it has Cordelia!

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh you should do the intercut

You can pretty easily alternate episodes of Buffy and Angel week to week once Angel spins off, with a few weird exceptions, and the shows directly reference each other and have crossovers and such

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    been rewatching Community for the first time in a long while now that it's on Netflix, which means it "exists" now

I still love it very dearly despite itself, but you know what sucks? the entire first season finale is hung on a running gag about using transphobic slurs

bad!

6F32U1X.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Started What We Do in the Shadows the other day and now I'm all caught up

I want Laszlo to turn me

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    been rewatching Community for the first time in a long while now that it's on Netflix, which means it "exists" now

I still love it very dearly despite itself, but you know what sucks? the entire first season finale is hung on a running gag about using transphobic slurs

bad!
    I will never be able to go back and watch it

I loved it when it aired but there are just too many awful things to overlook

CYpGAPn.png
    Straightzi wrote: »

You can pretty easily alternate episodes of Buffy and Angel week to week once Angel spins off, with a few weird exceptions, and the shows directly reference each other and have crossovers and such

Oooooh...

When would you recommend doing this? Which season of Buffy?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I wish I’d bought that Spike puppet they sold based off that Angel episode.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

Oooooh...

Season 4 of Buffy is when Angel started.

I think Buffy always aired before Angel, so probably go Buffy then Angel, rinse repeat?

Oooooh...

Season 4 of Buffy is when Angel started.

I think Buffy always aired before Angel, so probably go Buffy then Angel, rinse repeat?

Generally, yeah. I would recommend checking out a guide - there's a few weird bits with like, two parters and stuff.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    TV crossovers are so fucking cool

They're nearly always dumb and hacky and broad, but they are feats of such logistical brilliance that I fuckin' love 'em.

Entire episodes warp in the pacing of their writing, in their tone, in the style of the edit. They always feel like they're about to fall apart at the seams, like they are capturing and barely-containing an absolutely unsustainable energy. They catch lightning in a bottle, and then let it out right before the bottle explodes in their hands.

Every single one is an impossible feat, an enormous headache for hundreds of people, that even in its best incarnation is "fine." It is to tilt at a windmill, to leave the windmill standing firm, but to limp away.

God, I love TV. Such a weird, wild medium.

Poorochondriac on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    TV crossovers are so fucking cool

They're nearly always dumb and hacky and broad, but they are feats of such logistical brilliance that I fuckin' love 'em.

Entire episodes warp in the pacing of their writing, in their tone, in the style of the edit. They always feel like they're about to fall apart at the seems, like they are capturing and barely-containing an absolutely unsustainable energy. They catch lightning in a bottle, and then let it out right before the bottle explodes in their hands.

Every single one is an impossible feat, an enormous headache for hundreds of people, that even in its best incarnation is "fine." It is to tilt at a windmill, to leave the windmill standing firm, but to limp away.

God, I love TV. Such a weird, wild medium.

the twin peaks/psych crossover ruled

Would we call that more of an homage? I always saw crossovers as necessitating both shows being on air at roughly the same time.

Now I’m remembering how psych steered into ridiculous themed episodes from like, S2. God bless a show that knows exactly how stupid it is.

tynic wrote: »
    Would we call that more of an homage? I always saw crossovers as necessitating both shows being on air at roughly the same time.

Now I’m remembering how psych steered into ridiculous themed episodes from like, S2. God bless a show that knows exactly how stupid it is.

Yeah, a true crossover is same network, concurrent shows, very stupid

It's New Girl/Brooklyn 99. It's X-Files/Cops. It's Alf/Gilligan's Island.

The more strained, the more implausible, the better.

God I love 'em

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The TGIF crossovers were great.

uyvfOQy.png
    The most frustrating thing about Pysch’s last ep is they teased a Monk crossover that never materialized.

god, the x-files/cops episode was so stupid and good

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    What’s the consensus on Dragon Prince?

I found it to scratch a bit of an ATLA itch, but the first season’s animation is a bit jerky so far

There are some good things about the show and I really want to like it. There are however a lot of flat jokes, baffling character decisions, and plot cul-de-sac’s. It’s rough going and I’m gonna have to disagree with the idea that the animation gets better. It consistently looks terrible. Expressions in particular are hard to watch.

Also they end up with a LOT of dead gay characters and... maybe two living gay characters?

Quire.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it is, and I'm sure I've mentioned this here before, still the only episode of the x-files I've ever seen, and I've seen it three times, and each time was in a different hotel room.

tynic wrote: »
    The most frustrating thing about Pysch’s last ep is they teased a Monk crossover that never materialized.

The sticking point was almost certainly that Tony Shaloub is too good/old for those sorts of shenanigans, but Monk/Psych is such a slam-dunk no-brainer of a crossover

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I will go to my grave lamenting that we never got Psych/Monk cross over. Those commercials that had both of them were pretty charming.

Hell, give me a USA Connected Universe. Psych, Monk, Burn Notice, that Doctor show...maybe Suits?

PiptheFair wrote: »

it is, and I'm sure I've mentioned this here before, still the only episode of the x-files I've ever seen, and I've seen it three times, and each time was in a different hotel room.

theres an x-files episode that ends in a cher concert

x-files was good

I'm not arguing about the quality of the x-files, I just now can't watch any of it because it'll ruin my weird anecdote

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    What’s the consensus on Dragon Prince?

I found it to scratch a bit of an ATLA itch, but the first season’s animation is a bit jerky so far

There are some good things about the show and I really want to like it. There are however a lot of flat jokes, baffling character decisions, and plot cul-de-sac’s. It’s rough going and I’m gonna have to disagree with the idea that the animation gets better. It consistently looks terrible. Expressions in particular are hard to watch.

Also they end up with a LOT of dead gay characters and... maybe two living gay characters?
    If I remember right one of the execs was accused of sexual harassment of his employees and basically zero action was taken

CYpGAPn.png
    The poochie has arrived in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Started What We Do in the Shadows the other day and now I'm all caught up

I want Laszlo to turn me

Laszlo and Colin Robinson are two completely perfect tv characters

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    someone say something about crossovers in here?

john_munch_6563.jpg

actually sorry Munch, cops are cancelled, get out of here

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I'm not arguing about the quality of the x-files, I just now can't watch any of it because it'll ruin my weird anecdote

The anecdote's better than the revival seasons, so you're making the right choice

This discussion has been closed.