As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That is not [bad food] which does eternal lie, and in strange youtubes, even food may die

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    It was perfectly alright.

They shredded it and marinaded it in some sesame oil and a few other things. It was surprisingly crunchy which doesn't not come across in the name "jellyfish."

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    We got gyros for dinner tonight, and they were quite good.

I have eaten jellyfish now I wanna eat

bug

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    We got gyros for dinner tonight, and they were quite good.

Every time someone mentions gyros I think of the episode of the Simpsons where homer meets his mom.

"chief... You're talking into your wallet"

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I have eaten jellyfish now I wanna eat

bug

Land bug, water bug?
    Water bugs get bigger and, in my experience, are easier to source. (Provided you live at least moderately close to water.)
    They are also a notable exception to my general rule of "must have a backbone". (I don't like squid and am "meh" on molluscs.)

Commander Zoom on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Is lobster a bug? Or shrimp?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It was perfectly alright.

They shredded it and marinaded it in some sesame oil and a few other things. It was surprisingly crunchy which doesn't not come across in the name "jellyfish."

Fun fact: if you ate a jellyfish in America, it was probably a cannonball jellyfish, or what is known in their home waters as a "jellyball."

Which is kind of a bummer of a name for a critter you're going to eat. Or have already eaten, in your case.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Yes and yes.

I fucking love squid. Gimme dem squids.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I fucking love squid. Gimme dem squids.

You are what you eat

You're a squid now your a kid now :whistle:

I feel like grasshopper would be a good eatin bug to start with.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Grasshopper and crickets are super ethically sustainable. I've baked with cricket flour before. It tastes a bit earthy and develops a really dense crumb, but if you use it for brownies and add a bit of coffee you can barely notice.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

It’s a living sandwich

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Grasshopper and crickets are super ethically sustainable. I've baked with cricket flour before. It tastes a bit earthy and develops a really dense crumb, but if you use it for brownies and add a bit of coffee you can barely notice.

Grasshoppers/crickets and ants are usually the ones I see.

It's really unfortunate there's no real big meaty non-sea bugs except like cicadas.

I do remember seeing a documentary where folks were catching annoying flies and making like burger patties out of them. That seemed genius too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    you came to the right thread with that zoe

BahamutZERO.gif
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »

It's really unfortunate there's no real big meaty non-sea bugs except like cicadas.

I do remember seeing a documentary where folks were catching annoying flies and making like burger patties out of them. That seemed genius too.

oh there are but people get squicked out I guess? Mealworms are basically 100% edible protein. Bamboo worms are super popular in Thailand, and Australia has palm-sized edible native grubs that are supposed to be pretty good (I confess to not having tried them, ashamedly).

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Yeah, there’s this instinctive ick factor to eating bugs for some. Like me. I know it’s irrational, but it is what it is.

Even though I freaking love shrimp.

Enlong on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yeah, there’s this instinctive ick factor to eating bugs for some. Like me. I know it’s irrational, but it is what it is.

Even though I freaking love shrimp.

same, it's sort of maddening.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »
    On the advice of my allergy/asthma doctor, I am about to embark on a three-week dairy fast. Apparently, my intractable sinus congestion and lung crud may be due to a dairy allergy that doesn't show up on skin tests. I really can't argue against it, because I literally don't think there has been a three-week period in my entire life in which I did not consume an inadvisable amount of dairy product.

I'm not sure what I'm going to gain from this knowledge. Unless it turns out dairy is the one thing keeping my levitation and gold transmutation abilities in check, I don't think I'm going to give up milk and cheese and butter and sour cream just so I can breathe properly. I guess we'll see!

Oat milk is delicious, more subtle and creamier than soy/almond; really freaking good in coffee and with cereal. It’s actually my favourite milk, period.

If you like the taste of coconut, coconut milk works super well in a lot of baked goods and other recipes. The kids went bananas for the crepes I made with coconut milk.

I’ve actually enjoyed vegetarian/vegan cheese myself! And you may be okay with goat or sheep cheese even if you’re not with cow.

Butter though... man, there’s no great substitution for butter that I’ve found.

Janson on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    On the advice of my allergy/asthma doctor, I am about to embark on a three-week dairy fast. Apparently, my intractable sinus congestion and lung crud may be due to a dairy allergy that doesn't show up on skin tests. I really can't argue against it, because I literally don't think there has been a three-week period in my entire life in which I did not consume an inadvisable amount of dairy product.

I'm not sure what I'm going to gain from this knowledge. Unless it turns out dairy is the one thing keeping my levitation and gold transmutation abilities in check, I don't think I'm going to give up milk and cheese and butter and sour cream just so I can breathe properly. I guess we'll see!

Oat milk is delicious, more subtle and creamier than soy/almond; really freaking good in coffee and with cereal. It’s actually my favourite milk, period.

If you like the taste of coconut, coconut milk works super well in a lot of baked goods and other recipes. The kids went bananas for the crepes I made with coconut milk.

I’ve actually enjoyed vegetarian/vegan cheese myself! And you may be okay with goat or sheep cheese even if you’re not with cow.

Butter though... man, there’s no great substitution for butter that I’ve found.

I'm a big fan of Earth Balance Vegan butter. It works pretty damn well, even as like a topper for steaks (what? I was out of regular butter). Oat Milk and Cashew milk are tied for my favorite non dairy milk.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I think the only bugs I would not at least try are earthworms and big ole cockroaches

edited June 2020
    Also don't eat one of these.
    maxresdefault.jpg

That is not spoilered because it's big, that's spoilered because I don't want to freak people out.

Pinfeldorf on
    I would shoot that and mount it over my fireplace.

I can’t stand oat milk but it’s a personal thing I guess

How do you milk an oat, anyway? I've never seen nipples on an oat but I've never really taken a magnifying glass to one.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I should try oat milk. I think I'll probably like it, and dairy can make my tummy sad sometimes.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    How do you milk an oat, anyway? I've never seen nipples on an oat but I've never really taken a magnifying glass to one.

It’s basically oat + water, blended together, then strained through a really fine filter (like a clean unworn t-shirt or dish towel). My dad makes his own!

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Aren’t locusts edible? Wonder if those are any good.

Yeah they’re kinda nutty flavored. They’re ok.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    locusts are nearly the same species as grasshoppers and are barely distinguishable when they're not all roided out on serotonin so I imagine they're just as good as grasshoppers are in the area of insect edibility

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'm not opposed to eating bugs but only as long as they don't look like bugs when I'm eating them

• useruser Registered User regular
    The main thing I find missing from a lot of alt milks is the natural sugars in lactose or some equivalent. I know there are flavored alt milks too, but those are like cloyingly sweet. I mostly consume milk, steamed in espresso coffee so the sweetness is a really crucial contrast to the bitterness.

I need to find some goldilocks zone altmilk, or dose my own little bit of sugars into it.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

oh there are but people get squicked out I guess? Mealworms are basically 100% edible protein. Bamboo worms are super popular in Thailand, and Australia has palm-sized edible native grubs that are supposed to be pretty good (I confess to not having tried them, ashamedly).

Witchetty grubs? They're fine, cooked. I wasn't game to try one raw.

I know everyone says that different and/or unusual (to white people) foods taste like chicken, but fire-roasted witchetty grubs absolutely do taste similar to like roast chicken.

I don’t think anyone eats them raw, but I’m not an expert.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I liked the cashew milk that I tried once, but I don't drink enough of it to justify buying a whole carton. Same with any others.

I did, however, spot coconut milk powder in the store the other day next to the regular milk powder. So if that were to store well enough that I could only make like a small cup at a time, Thai might be worth looking into.

I just tend to avoid most milk now.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone eats them raw, but I’m not an expert.

Could have been the guy was fucking with us, we were a very white Cub Scout troop and he was some sort of professor of Aboriginal cultural studies at one of the universities back in the early 90s. A few of the kids tried them raw, apparently they were bitter.

I liked the cashew milk that I tried once, but I don't drink enough of it to justify buying a whole carton. Same with any others.

I did, however, spot coconut milk powder in the store the other day next to the regular milk powder. So if that were to store well enough that I could only make like a small cup at a time, Thai might be worth looking into.

I just tend to avoid most milk now.

I don't drink much milk that's not already flavoured, so I just buy small cartons of milk. Better to use two 300 mL cartons in a week than buy a 2 litre and pour most of it down the sink.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    The Best Chicago-Style Hot Dog In Chicago | Best In Town (17 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv_nPcvVyDA

Coconut milk powder stores fine in the fridge. I often keep some around to make curries with, since using a whole can is either gonna make more curry than I know what to do with, or, reduced, results in something really rich that does bad things to my tum tum.

This discussion has been closed.