As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"With the Power of God and [Anime] on my side...

ElaroElaro ApologeticRegistered User regular
edited June 2020 in Social Entropy++
I CAN'T LOSE!"

In these chaotic times, it's good to sit down and enjoy a good animated show from Japan. This thread is for discussing those shows.

Here are openings wot I like:

One Punch Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_fsWBERU-s

Cowboy Bebop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Go4J1RaeuM

Kaguya-Sama : Love is War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnt029GX5nE

Here's some Anime vocabulary that might be useful:

Tsundere : Someone who's "hot-or-cold" towards someone, people, or just in general.

Cours : A broadcast season, generally 13 episodes long.

Yuri : Girl love.

Yaoi : Boy love.

Shonen : Boy, often referring to the demographic.

Shoujo : As above, but for girls.

Seinen : The male adult demographic.

Josei: As above, but for women.

OP : opening.

ED : credits.

One more thing:

Don't be gross. We don't want to lose our anime privilege. Thank you.

And as always,

ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!

Children's rights are human rights.
Elaro on

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I need to watch this show somehow.

https://youtu.be/x2XEqQ4AjHo

wVEsyIc.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    it finally got licensed and was supposed to be released this year i think, but idk if covid interfered with that

check out kakushigoto too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7333GgriD8

uc3ufTB.png
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Pokemon shorts:

Pokémon: Twilight Wings | Episode 5 | Assistant 5:51
    https://youtu.be/liZuy6ufYMs
    Rose may be the Chairman, but it’s Oleana who keeps things running in Galar.
    Peek into her world in the latest episode of Pokémon: Twilight Wings!

ポケモン公式】POKÉTOON ズルッグとミミッキュ-ポケモン KidsTV 4:19
    https://youtu.be/u909_O6CqYc

They actually pulled off the looney toons style much better than the current one

Peas on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Seinen is typically content for adult men.

Josei is typically for adult women.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Crunchyroll put up the entire missing Tenchi ova which should help make some sense of 5

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Oh a hey new one shot huh...the art style seems familar...and my day is ruined by Avogado

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    2yzg7wcytw2w.png

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Wait, I’m confused. Wouldn’t gay manga be fujoshi stuff, rather than “non-fujoshi”? It’s my understanding that that term is most often used to describe lady fans of gay stories.

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Wait, I’m confused. Wouldn’t gay manga be fujoshi stuff, rather than “non-fujoshi”? It’s my understanding that that term is most often used to describe lady fans of gay stories.

I believe it also has the connotation of "big nerd", so it appears she doesn't want to let her normie friend know what she's into.

Yeah, I was confused by that too. I'm not sure if she meant "lend to a non-fujoshi" or if it was just a complete mistake in translation.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Lars wrote: »
    Yeah, I was confused by that too. I'm not sure if she meant "lend to a non-fujoshi" or if it was just a complete mistake in translation.

In context it's "I'm not going to lend (to) non-Fujoshi."

I took it as Fujoshi (plural) being written the same Fujoshi (singular).

So, "I'm not going to lend (not a member of this group/kind of people) stuff like that."

So many layers of translation between languages, it's actually fascinating when translators include notes for context.

silence1186 on
    Ah, ok. So it’s “non-fujoshi” as the group she doesn’t want to lend her gay stuff to. Rather than “non-fujoshi stuff” being the description of her gay stiff.

edited June 2020
    和田加奈子 ジェニーナ4:37
    https://youtu.be/_NPpm6mxCe4
    *cough* Never watched Kagamure Orange Road before but I have been getting recommendations for the singer (Kanako Wada) and it's really good

Found a video with the same song but with animation:
    04 - KOR - きまぐれオレンジ☆ロード - ジェニーナ (Janina) 4:39
    https://youtu.be/iWJ7xr_FS_E

Peas on
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    it finally got licensed and was supposed to be released this year i think, but idk if covid interfered with that

check out kakushigoto too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7333GgriD8

if we're talking about anime based on Koji Kumeta manga, I'm gonna advertise for Joshiraku again

https://youtu.be/Wi52iBcZv80

Butler For Life #1 on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I have watched all of Tower of God in the last few days. It is pretty good

steam_sig.png
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    My Life as a Villainess 10

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Saw this from a reddit request:
    85qxricho6y8.jpg

The manga is Ashonde yo: Uchi no Inu Log

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    inaccurate corg behavior

correct corg behavior would to be to sit on your head or to lay at you back and push it's legs into you as hard as possible

Saw the first volume of the Nozaki-kun manga was on sale on Kindle for $3, so I guess I'm collecting Nozaki-kun.

I don't normally read a lot of 4-komas, but it should be fine in this case.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Peas wrote: »
    和田加奈子 ジェニーナ4:37
    https://youtu.be/_NPpm6mxCe4
    I think this anime (Kagamure Orange Road) might be too old even for me to have watched it but I have been getting recommendations for the singer (Kanako Wada) and it's really good

Found a video with the same song but with animation:
    04 - KOR - きまぐれオレンジ☆ロード - ジェニーナ (Janina) 4:39
    https://youtu.be/iWJ7xr_FS_E

I'm feeling very attacked right now

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    kaguya-sama is good and i love it

my next life as a villainess: all routes lead to doom episode 10
    plot? jbc96oaud91y.png

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    inaccurate corg behavior

correct corg behavior would to be to sit on your head or to lay at you back and push it's legs into you as hard as possible

My dog does that.
    She is not a corgi so it exerts about 200 psi per foot into my back

Bakarina
    The presidents name is Sirius Dieke

Really?

Bravo

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    his dad's name is Hugh

A translator was definitely giggling through this line
    z4nmSkk.png

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Huh. Browsing Netflix today, I learned that Cardcaptor Sakura has another English dub that isn’t, you know, Cardcaptors.

Might check it out; it’s been a long time since I saw that show, and it was that other dub anyway.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Enlong wrote: »
    Huh. Browsing Netflix today, I learned that Cardcaptor Sakura has another English dub that isn’t, you know, Cardcaptors.

Might check it out; it’s been a long time since I saw that show, and it was that other dub anyway.

IIRC it's a dub made for english-speaking Asian countries. Apparently it's VERY low quality. When NISA license rescued the show they included this dub with the release because SOME dub is better than none at all I suppose (and I guess Netflix felt the same). But they did list it as an "extra feature" on the box, rather than another language track which says something.

Also from what I heard, when this dub was made for english-speaking asian TV, certain lines that refer to queerness were straight-up not localized. So that means I think this dub actually has lines that are complete silence.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
    Oof.

Ok. Subtitle track it is.

The first page in One Piece this week was an insane labor of love.

The last page in One Piece this week was *chef's kiss* perfect.
    So Cat Viper brought Marco and Kiku's brother back? Load one bullet into Chekov's gun, to be used for a Big Damn Heroes moment in a few chapters.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    This week's episode of Kaguya:

Once again, anime elevates manga chapters to the level of masterpiece, using soundtrack, voice acting and visual gags to their fullest potential.

It is quite definitely the best anime adaptation I have seen so far in my life.

unknown.png

Kaguya with the peanuts reference of all things

...also it works way too well

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    The anime adaptation of Kaguya-sama has basically became an art form.

steam_sig.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Im still not over having Chika animated like a bad mobile game advertisment when trying to sell them on playing her Game of Life ripoff

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    The anime adaptation of Kaguya-sama has basically became an art form.

Yeah, it is kinda perfect, they really have the animation live up to the writing which in turn greatly improves the writing itself and both are bolstered by impeccable voice acting and casting. The range that each character has is amazing and highlighted by all three aforementioned aspects, stunning for a show that has no need for the usual anime set pieces of crazy battles and astonishing settings. The manga only improves so every season seems like it can only get better if this crew stays on the project to completions.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    I am so, so excited for a hypothetical 3rd season of Kaguya, and this season isn't over.

The writing just keeps getting better, as the author is a master of callbacks to what you thought were one-of gags, but end up being important. The writer is also super self-aware.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    chika is... good

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I like bakarina having all the characters defend her by saying she is far too dumb to be evil

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    chika is... good
    chika is a shit-stirrer extraordinaire, it's true.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I am so, so excited for a hypothetical 3rd season of Kaguya, and this season isn't over.

The writing just keeps getting better, as the author is a master of callbacks to what you thought were one-of gags, but end up being important. The writer is also super self-aware.

I am going to be displeased if there isn't a third season
    If they're fitting the sports festival into this season, that means they would probably get to the cultural festival in the third season, and it's so good in the manga.

Also, this season, I am completely convinced that we'll see (from the manga)
    the chapter where kaguya's phone breaks and the resolution because during the episode credits it has a lot of emphasis on her phone disappearing...

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    The Kaguya-sama author has some interesting little tips for the ways he writes the characters that he's talked about in interviews.

- He likes to introduce a character, and then kinda just keep them around for 10 chapters or so. He figures that after 10 chapters readers feel like they've really figured the character out. So then once the characters start to think they understand the character, he can start breaking them down and revealing other aspects to them.
    - He keeps a list of emotions for characters, and so he drafts a lot of new chapter ideas by figuring out what emotions he hasn't explored yet in such-and-such character. So he works backwards by realizing that like, Fujiwara hasn't felt embarrassed yet, and then writing a scenario where she keeps getting caught cheating at cards to explore that emotion. He never starts writing a chapter with like a setting in mind - he doesn't go like, "I wanna draw a beach episode."
    - He was agnostic on fanservice before he started writing kaguya, but now he gets fan mail from elementary school kids, and it's fucked up to write like panty-flashing scenes of characters that elementary school kids like and relate to. So now he's actively against including fanservice, and thinks it narrows one's audience too much.
    - He also hates harems.
    - Furijwara might actually have hidden inner turmoil. Or he might be trolling.

This discussion has been closed.