As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That is not [bad food] which does eternal lie, and in strange youtubes, even food may die

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    In 2014, one of my brothers accepted a job that carried a fairly substantial hiring bonus, because it would require moving his family to town of less than 200 people more than an hour and a half away from the nearest full-scale grocery store or hospital. One of the indulgences that his wife permitted him with this bonus was the purchase of a huge-ass restaurant quality meat smoker. Over the following year he lured the rest of the family on three occasions to his cabin in the buttcrack of the wilderness with promises of vast quantities of BBQ. And on all three occasions, one or more members of the family contracted food poisoning. Not necessarily from the meats... but yeah, definitely from the meats. The final time it happened to so many of us that we had to beg their next door neighbor for access to additional bathrooms.

Six months ago, my brother asked if he could stash a bunch of his stuff in my storage unit, and I obliged. One of the items stored was his meat smoker, which as far as I can tell had been used maybe half a dozen times, including those eventful family parties.

With my brother's permission and the help of two of my roommates, I have just set it up in our back yard, cleaned it out thoroughly, and completed a humongous delicious brisket. Results are still pending re: my bowels, but it certainly tasted more thoroughly cooked than previous examples. I think he just had a weak ass recipe that perhaps called for insufficient heat and/or time.

I would have posted pictures, but it didn't occur to me to take any until we were down to empty dishes. Next time!

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    In 2014, one of my brothers accepted a job that carried a fairly substantial hiring bonus, because it would require moving his family to town of less than 200 people more than an hour and a half away from the nearest full-scale grocery store or hospital. One of the indulgences that his wife permitted him with this bonus was the purchase of a huge-ass restaurant quality meat smoker. Over the following year he lured the rest of the family on three occasions to his cabin in the buttcrack of the wilderness with promises of vast quantities of BBQ. And on all three occasions, one or more members of the family contracted food poisoning. Not necessarily from the meats... but yeah, definitely from the meats. The final time it happened to so many of us that we had to beg their next door neighbor for access to additional bathrooms.

Six months ago, my brother asked if he could stash a bunch of his stuff in my storage unit, and I obliged. One of the items stored was his meat smoker, which as far as I can tell had been used maybe half a dozen times, including those eventful family parties.

With my brother's permission and the help of two of my roommates, I have just set it up in our back yard, cleaned it out thoroughly, and completed a humongous delicious brisket. Results are still pending re: my bowels, but it certainly tasted more thoroughly cooked than previous examples. I think he just had a weak ass recipe that perhaps called for insufficient heat and/or time.

I would have posted pictures, but it didn't occur to me to take any until we were down to empty dishes. Next time!

Yea if you start too low and don't clear that 140f threshold within 4 hours you can end up with bad meat. It's so hard to mess up though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Good on you and your rescue animal smoker.

• zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular

Not needing to transport meat in the back of a car for an hour and a half likely helps.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Gonna have to make another batch to take pics.

steam_sig.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    zekebeau wrote: »

Not needing to transport meat in the back of a car for an hour and a half likely helps.

Yea one would hope a person would bring a cooler in this situation.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    They've got a little local convenience store/bait shop/barber shop/post office for essentials, but getting enough meat for a big extended family gathering definitely would have required a trip to the "big city" (that city being the gleaming metropolis of Vernal Utah, population approximately 9K).

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Curry generally freezes pretty well IME. I find it most comforting to know that I have 2 or 3 curries in the bank for those days when I want a treat and I don't want to have to work and/or wait for it.

Speaking of curries, I feel like it's years and years since I made a beef curry. I hear good things about Rendang and I've never tried it.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Is there an Autumnal Utah

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »
    Is there an Autumnal Utah

Only for about 20 minutes a year in October, during which we receive half our annual rainfall.

• kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Speaking of curry, I made Chef John's curry tonight and it was quite good. Made a few alterations (asparagus instead of broccoli, chicken thighs instead of breasts), and decided the best part was that spiced coconut milk "broth" soaked into a large quantity of steamed jasmine rice.

I think I'll put it on my rotation as a change-of-pace dish every once in a while. Could see it working quite well with just about any meat and any vegetable combo.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Beef Rendang is my go to for a hearty winter fill me up, highly recommend.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Beef rendang is doooope

With, like a giant pile of Sambal on the side.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I finally managed to get a hole of some Sour Patch Chips Ahoy. Not bad, they taste like Froot Loops more than anything with a bit of chew to the cookie from the tiny bits of gummi.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    So I've never had potato salad from a Korean restaurant before tonight, and the version from the restaurant in K-town that I ordered from contains both chopped up hot dog and raisins.

Is that... common?

Also my first genuine surprise hot dog.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Good on you and your rescue animal smoker.

No need to strike that out.
    That's what you smoke, right?

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Fuck, I need to go back to that hot dog shop that was over by my old place, those folks had solid dogs.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    The Best Chicago-Style Hot Dog In Chicago | Best In Town (17 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv_nPcvVyDA

I feel like I speak for Chicago when I say

What the fuck are you doing putting fucking French fries on your hot dog get outta here with that nonsense
    jgeis wrote: »
    So I've never had potato salad from a Korean restaurant before tonight, and the version from the restaurant in K-town that I ordered from contains both chopped up hot dog and raisins.

Is that... common?

Also my first genuine surprise hot dog.

Let's go with a solid "I wouldn't be surprised at all"

It's not ALWAYS got hot dogs and raisins but if it had them I'd be like yeah that checks out

Hat tip to cold mashed potato salad on white bread, my weirdly enjoyable Korean mart/kid food fave

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    The Best Chicago-Style Hot Dog In Chicago | Best In Town (17 mins)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv_nPcvVyDA
    I feel like I speak for Chicago when I say
    What the fuck are you doing putting fucking French fries on your hot dog get outta here with that nonsense
    But the rest of the salad bar is cool?
    The entire Chicago Dog thing... I just don't get it, I guess.
    Give me a scoop of chili and some cheese on my dog, and I'm happy. But there's no reason to turn a hot dog into a salad.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Onion, pepper, and pickle are all tasty things that I'm good with having on my hot dog, though I'd want the pickle diced up.

And with the exception of the pickle, I put those things in my chili anyway.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    A Chicago hot dog has very specific things on it, and french fries aren't one of those things

yellow mustard, chopped white onions, bright green sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, pickled sport peppers and a dash of celery salt

This seems to be widely agreed upon consensus

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Hotdog salad
    37vjk4rdlp72.jpg

Also fries on hotdogs sounds good to me, more stuff should have fries on them

Peas on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    That looks like hot dogs trying to look like a tiramisu.

...if "tiramisu" means "pick me up", what means "put me down" or "run away from me, screaming"?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    it looks like some sort of Rick & Morty alien that's trying to look particularly gross

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    A Chicago hot dog has very specific things on it, and french fries aren't one of those things

yellow mustard, chopped white onions, bright green sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, pickled sport peppers and a dash of celery salt

This seems to be widely agreed upon consensus

Much like we have more than just stuffed when it comes to pizza, we have more than one popular style of hot dog in Chicago. There are plenty of places in Chicago that wrap fries in the same paper as your hot dog, so you end up with a few fries on it if you want or can take them off if you don't. Scroll down just a little bit further in the wikipedia entry you copied that list from and look at "Depression Dogs" under variations :P

Celery salt is used in 50% of the places I've ever had a dog from at most. Pretty sure it would actually be less than that. Plain relish is also frequently used in place of the neon green sweet pickle relish - both are common.

That video is showing hot dogs from Superdawg, which is a goddamned Chicago institution. I met the original owners years ago, and they were wonderful people. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I freely admit as a patron of many a costco hotdog, I put ERRRYTHING on my dawgs, from relish, to the onion, to the ketchup and the mustard and it is messy and glorious and delicious.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm having hot dogs for dinner tonight and they're gonna have homemade sauerkraut and mustard on them, it's gonna rule

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'm having hot dogs for dinner tonight and they're gonna have homemade sauerkraut and mustard on them, it's gonna rule

Can the rest of the internet come over for this, did you make enough to share

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    no

fuck I just remembered I've got a giant container of mustard seeds, I could make my own mustard, too

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    no
    fuck I just remembered I've got a giant container of mustard seeds, I could make my own mustard, too

you've dashed my hopes quite expertly

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Well that's some horseshit, especially since see seems to be one of the most talented people on there and doubly so if she's also editing video. Their editing is why that channel is so popular.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    And this is why companies don't like it when their staff talk about salary.

It's to hide the fact that someone is getting fucked over.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I thought about organizing a thing where young radicals put their wages on their name tags at the annual staff training day, and then remembered that we're a library system, and you can see exactly what everyone makes by looking at the publicly-available pay scale and multiplying it by x years of 3% annual raises.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    3% annual raises? Look at Library McMoneybags over here.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It balances out because if you get promoted, it wipes out all the raises from your previous position. At my first manager's post I had a couple of non-degreed librarians who were outearning me by a fairly embarrassing margin.

The real royalty are the ones who have been around long enough that they're still on the pension plan. And still coming to work, for some reason.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Well that's some horseshit, especially since see seems to be one of the most talented people on there and doubly so if she's also editing video. Their editing is why that channel is so popular.

It's absolute horseshit, and an as aside I'm doubtful she was editing video, BA seems to call all their test kitchen chefs Food Editors

Psykoma on
    every mustard guide I read said that it tastes bad the day you make it and to let it sit for a day

but I tell you, mine is already something I want to eat a bunch of

though it's too runny, apparently letting it sit also fixes that

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I just ordered 69 dollars worth of McDonald's because I fell asleep after work, everything was more or less closed when I woke up, and I'm running low on groceries, didn't have any quick meal stuff, and didn't want to cook anything complicated at 10PM.

It should carry me for a few days at least. I bought a bunch of random shit.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.