As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It’s really just 358/2 Days, and just the “/2” part

If it was called “358 Days” it’d be easy

and also the fact that you're not supposed to read the title as it's written

it should really be (Three Five Eight Days)/2

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I honestly think “A Fragmentary Passage” is a great subtitle for what is essentially a tech-demo side story.

IKknkhU.gif
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I honestly think “A Fragmentary Passage” is a great subtitle for what is essentially a tech-demo side story.

The actual title is 'Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage', though, which does veer back into the word salad. Never mind that it's part of 'Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue'.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I cant ever say anything mean about KH titles cause they all lead up to the Kingdom Hearts II.9 title card at the start of KH3 and that shit was hilarious.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »

The actual title is 'Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage', though, which does veer back into the word salad. Never mind that it's part of 'Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue'.

Actually it's "Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birthy By Sleep -A fragmentary passage-"

If it was just an em dash that would make a lot more sense

Okay, here's the official* ranking of Kingdom Hearts titles, from most to least sensible, not counting compilations.

Videogame Name Tier
    1. Kingdom Hearts / Kingdom Hearts II / Kingdom Hearts III
    2. Kingdom Hearts: Dark Road
    3. Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

Idiosyncratic Tier
    4. Kingdom Hearts coded
    5. Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance (if pronounced Kingdom Hearts: 3 Ds)
    6. Kingdom Hearts Re:coded

Getting Silly Tier
    7. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
    8. Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance (if pronounced Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance)

Getting Really Silly Tier
    9. Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
    10. Kingdom Hearts: 0.2 Birth By Sleep -A fragmentary passage-

Using The Greek Alphabet And Not Even Consistently Tier
    11. Kingdom Hearts: Union χ ( χ pronounced as 'cross')
    12. Kingdom Hearts: Unchained χ Back Cover (χ pronounced as 'chi')

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Chain of Memories was fine, and also appropriate, because Sora was actually being bound up by memories that were restricting his emotions and actions. He was trapped by a metaphorical chain of actual memories. It's poetic.

'Birth by Sleep?' What does that even mean?
    'Dream Drop Distance?' I guess you drop into dreams, but what's the distance part for?
    'Three Five Eight Days Over Two?' Go fuck yourself.

H9f4bVe.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Chain of Memories was fine, and also appropriate, because Sora was actually being bound up by memories that were restricting his emotions and actions. He was trapped by a metaphorical chain of actual memories. It's poetic.

'Dream Drop Distance?' I guess you drop into dreams, but what's the distance part for?
    'Three Five Eight Days Over Two?' Go fuck yourself.

Birth By Sleep: Ventus was put into a medically induced coma and two distinct personalities were born out of that. Births caused by sleeping. Shrug.

Dream Drop Distance: The worlds that the characters explore are Dream worlds. Similar to Inception, you enter them by dropping into a deeper level of the collective unconscious. The distance refers to how deep Sora is drawn into the cluster(f) by the end of the game.

358 Days/ 2: Roxas lives as a person with a body for 358 Days. Xion lives for a similar amount of time. It's divided by 2 because both of them are aspects of Sora in some way, the title is hinting at that plot twist.

Union Cross: It's about teams (called Unions) that are crossing (synonym for battling) in order to make the X Blade weapon.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Best shots I can give is that the Heartless-Ansem and Xemnas were born by Xehanort's memories 'going to sleep' inside Terra's body, leaving the researcher that'd create the original Ansem Reports in KH1. Castle Oblivion was also born by Ven being pretty much in a coma and Aqua needing someplace to hide him. Ven's heart hiding in Sora's at the same time would be in part why Roxas was born the way he looked.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I swear “birth by sleep” was used as one of the lines for one of the secret movies or something, and not like a Final Mix thing cause I never played those

But when Birth By Sleep came out I remember my reaction was just “yes this title makes perfect sense to me”

6F32U1X.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    “Birth By Sleep” is engrishy. A more accurate wording, goibg with the secret ending, would be “release from sleep”. But that wouldn’t make a funny acronym to “BBS”.

To keep the acronym for Dream Drop Distance, it couldve been “Dream Dive Depth”. I think I prefer “dive” for the idea of falling deeper and deeper into dreams.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I’ve never played a Kingdom Hearts but I love Square and their bonkers titles, I genuinely wish more stuff had unintuitive title schemes

Kamen Rider dips into that where W is pronounced Double, OOO is pronounced O’s, and Cross-Z is just “cross”

It seems to only exist in Japan though, imagine an American marketing executive proposing this stuff

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Dream Drop Distance is the title because they thought it would be funny to be able to call the 3DS game "Kingdom Hearts: 3D"

And they were right

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    But they missed the opportunity to reuse deep dive. Dream Deep Dive? Deep Dive Dream?

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Dream Drop Distance is the title because they thought it would be funny to be able to call the 3DS game "Kingdom Hearts: 3D"

And they were right

That was just the standard naming scheme for 3DS games at the time

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

And they were right

That was just the standard naming scheme for 3DS games at the time

Nah, the standard 3DS naming scheme was just 'Whatever Whatever 3D'. It was DS games that did the cutesy initials thing. See Dual Strike, Dawn of Sorrow, Double Smash, Digging Strike, Dark Souls, Dual Sympathy, Deadly Silence etc etc.

There was Kirby Triple Deluxe.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Triple Deluxe

Deluxe Deluxe Deluxe

3 D's

That is some mastercraft theme naming there.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."

Triple Deluxe

Deluxe Deluxe Deluxe

3 D's

That is some mastercraft theme naming there.

Also, and I can’t believe I just realized this, the game’s story features King Dedede as a more important character than usual, up to having him as the bonus speeddrun character instead of Meta Knight.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I've been spending the last few days researching Kingdom Hearts lore and watching cutscenes from the games despite only ever playing KH and KHII.

I adore how this franchise that prominently features Disney childrens' properties ended up having a plot that features a villain who possesses a guy, impersonates another guy, splits himself and the guy he's possessing into two different guys, gets some other guy to make clone bodies for himself, reforms as his original self after his split selves are destroyed, tries to turn other guys into further clones of himself, and teams up with his time traveling younger self to bring three other versions of himself into the present in clone bodies. And this is just one aspect of the plot!

Also, where the hell is Sora's mom???

Hexmage-PA on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I've been spending the last few days researching Kingdom Hearts lore and watching cutscenes from the games despite only ever playing KH and KHII.

I adore how this franchise that prominently features Disney childrens' properties ended up having a plot that features a villain who possesses a guy, impersonates another guy, splits himself and the guy he's possessing into two different guys, gets some other guy to make clone bodies for himself, reforms as his original self after his split selves are destroyed, tries to turn other guys into further clones of himself, and teams up with his time traveling younger self to bring three other versions of himself into the present in clone bodies. And this is just one aspect of the plot!

Also, where the hell is Sora's mom???

She died and turned into a shadow.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    For those that have a XB1, the Kingdom Hearts pre-III bundles are at 20 bucks each at the moment. A good time to pick them up if the 50 and 60 dollar price-tags kept you away before.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    So after bingeing on a ton of KH lore I'm suddenly very interested in this Yozora fellow and theories around him.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Simple & Clean
    All of those names are Norse.

And the only other name I can think of that's based on Norse mythology in KH is Skuld. I have no idea how that will matter, but I'm gonna predict now that it definitely will

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    Simple & Clean
    The series is gonna heavily lean on KHUX elements and also FF Vs XIII/The World Ends With You cast off ideas it seems like at this point. Which I'm okay with, but I'm sure people who were VERY ANGRY that KH1 and 2 were not the only important KH games will just... love that.

I don’t trust Bragi for a fuckin’ second. Yeah, the name is from Norse myth, but it also anagrams to Braig.

I don’t trust Bragi for a fuckin’ second. Yeah, the name is from Norse myth, but it also anagrams to Braig.

Turns out Xigbar was Bragi's nobody all along, and he was just pretending to be Braig in order to something something Xi Blade something something master plan.

TamerBill wrote: »

Turns out Xigbar was Bragi's nobody all along, and he was just pretending to be Braig in order to something something Xi Blade something something master plan.

Given the end of KH3,
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Luxu went through various names and faces through the long years up to the current day, and influenced events as he went. Seeing as Dark Road is going to function as a backstory for Xehanort, I might expect Bragi to be one of those identities he’s used.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    So wait. This is the first I'm hearing about this Dark Road thing. Is it just an update to their mobile game or is this supposed to be a brand new phone game?

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Simple & Clean
    H0b0man wrote: »
    So wait. This is the first I'm hearing about this Dark Road thing. Is it just an update to their mobile game or is this supposed to be a brand new phone game?

It's a separate game that will launch out of the same app. Strange decision, but they're probably exploring how long they should keep KHUX going.

Sanctuary
    I know the Discourse has already move on but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-bxIhQMaRU&feature=emb_title

I will play the Kingdom Hearts rhythm game even if the rhythm mechanics seem...odd

6F32U1X.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it seems like an attempt to make a 3d Theatrhythm

liEt3nH.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Sanctuary
    the rhythm mechanics in the other kingdom hearts games, and in final fantasy 7 remake, are garbage so there's nowhere to go but up I guess

Simple & Clean
    Mr. G wrote: »

So Dark Road is out and I've cleared the first sequence of story levels. It's actually interesting and good stuff, if you're embedded into the KH lore setting. If you're the type who gets annoyed that KH3 is nowhere near the third game... run screaming. With Re:Mind and Dark Road, the series is finally giving us any idea at all what the series villain's deal was, which is... something after we finally killed him off.

So would I recommend Dark Road? Uh hell no, lol. It's an idle game with maximum asset reuse from KHUX. Nomura's letter that greets you when you start the game lets you know that the dev team was apparently 2 people. Sounds like Square Enix is choking out their resource pipeline completely, which also probably means they're crunching those 2 people as well. If idle game is what they want to do, they need to HEAVILY revise it with idle game features, like running in the background with minimal battery use and a speed multiplier. Right now it's clearly just a way to make 2 hours of content last for weeks.

Again, I find Dark Road to be an answer in desperate search of a question. Between BBS and 3D, we had an answer for Xehanort’s ambitions like a decade ago.

Simple & Clean
    Again, I find Dark Road to be an answer in desperate search of a question. Between BBS and 3D, we had an answer for Xehanort’s ambitions like a decade ago.

Eh, I disagree with this. We knew the what for a long time. The why has always been either simplistic or non-existent. Like, he expresses that he wants to do something, but why did he turn out to want that? Why were supposed good guys on his side ever? How did facets of his personality gain loyal followers? These are the places that could be interestingly expanded on.

• ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Simple & Clean
    The Nintendo Direct-Mini earlier today showed an updated Melody of Memory trailer for the Switch and a NA release date of November 13th (heh) and preordering happening now; the Japanese version will release on the 11th.

(Gonna spoiler for big and just in case for those who haven't finished III/Re:Mind)

Word from Nomura via the JP KH Twitter feed, however, is that a final trailer will be released separate from the Nintendo version soon. So feel free to hold off on viewing the above trailer; the only big reveal other than the date is the Switch version will have the ability to do an 8-player local high score battle mode.

Also, the box cover art from Nomura was released with the announcement:
    6PQVQ3S.jpg

And, of course, someone clever combined the art with the background loop of the new version of Dearly Beloved from the Japanese site into a video for your listening pleasure:

Honestly the new art new music is all I can handle and enjoy right now; the story can wait. *listens to video for the 100th time*

e:Official Final MoM trailer, complete with a proper story tease at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwIXYvIvhY4

ani_game_bum on
    steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Grabbed the demo for Melody of Memory last night before going to bed (should be out for all three systems now) and tried out a couple of solo tracks (four solo, two co-op total with interchangeable settings and difficulty).

The controls will take some getting used to; you have to press L1(left-side helper attack) and R1(right-side helper attack) or L1+R1+X all together perfectly to do a Donald/Goofy or Trio attack and you have to pay attention to which lane the enemies are in to attack with the appropriate character (you can just hit X for any of the characters if it's just only them to attack on the board but I feel like training yourself to the specific button attack will pay off better on the harder tracks).

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I'm very excited to read a plot synopsis in a couple months

X22wmuF.jpg