As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I'm an Australian watching this and getting confused by all the time conversions. What time, UTC, are we expecting the dock to happen? Or how many hours after launch, since I have that for reference.

*edit* I think it works out as 8.30pm local (UTC +10) time, though I've been wrong before so I thought I'd check.

Mr Ray on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Docking time is 14:30 UTC

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Getting there. 400 meters apart. Will be about a half hour (see edit) before getting very close I believe.

Live stream at same link:

https://youtu.be/bIZsnKGV8TE

Edit: oh they said it’s about a hour and a half to two hours from now for docking. I just woke up to not miss it, a little groggy here.

davidsdurions on
  • dylmandylman Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    They're running a little ahead of schedule apparently, docking might be in 25-30 minutes from now.

(edit: too slow!)

dylman on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    20 meters away. The view is great.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Soft docking complete, hard docking latches next, the pressurising the vestibule.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    They are currently doing the last pressure equalizations. They are expecting to open the hatch around Noon CST ( +5 GMT) and a small welcome aboard ceremony 15 mins after that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    The hatch is open! In an historic moment, farts created on board a commercial spacecraft are mingling with government spacecraft air.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    They're about to do the boarding ceremony stuff.

Man... I hope the Russians and the stationed US folk just hop into the dragon and are like "ooh, sweet ride!"

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Boarding ceremony started, seemed good, great photo ops, but I had to turn it off because I wasn't going to signal boost Ted Cruz.

• TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    The hatch is open! In an historic moment, farts created on board a commercial spacecraft are mingling with government spacecraft air.

In a sign of true progress, we now have only farts where once we had floating turds.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    SpaceX successfully launched and landed a 5th time stage 1 booster.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Want to see what a ride on the Space Shuttle's "Oh shit we're on fire on the launchpad" escape system would have been like?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMWdtQYkbc

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    An ingenious and exciting solution to the "GTFO the pad" problem.
    Though, if anything, if I had to ride one of those things I'd probably be wishing it went faster..

Though, if anything, if I had to ride one of those things I'd probably be wishing it went faster..

Can you imagine trying to release those rusty chains and securing yourself in the chair while there is explosive fire directly behind you?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Can you imagine trying to release those rusty chains and securing yourself in the chair while there is explosive fire directly behind you?

Presumably, the chains are mostly-released as part of launch prep.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Want to see what a ride on the Space Shuttle's "Oh shit we're on fire on the launchpad" escape system would have been like?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMWdtQYkbc

And to be clear, they aren't getting rid of a way to escape the tower. This is the retirement of the old emergency baskets at the 195 foot level. Because SpaceX is removing and adding things onto Pad 39a for their own launch vehicles and crew capsules, they have a new emergency basket system at the 265 foot level.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • SealSeal Registered User regular

ridiculously cool fairing deploy video

Okay, there's an angle/shot I've not seen in KSP.

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    New Horizons is still doing cool stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofCooIkIwvQ

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    We definitely got some quality mileage out of New Horizons

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Speaking of New Horizons, remember how people were talking about how Pluto might've had subsurface oceans? To get the surface formations seen now, Pluto would've needed to have formed hot and quick, not but slowly congealing cold things together. That would've been plenty of heat to get those oceans before, which are very likely still liquid and now for billions of years old, a perfect abode for hidden life, protected from hard radiation and the cold of space. This is a wild possibility that no SF ever thought of, even after we found out about Europa's likely oceans.

And it's possible that if Pluto formed like this, other distant dwarf planets might also have deep subsurface oceans that could also be hospitable to life. We've barely seen any of it and space is just wild.

Today's the anniversary of the Tunguska blast, and we aren't much better prepared for anything like it than we were then. Video from last year from Scott Manley talking about just how many hits the atmosphere absorbs, most of them so high or so remote we don't notice. Like a 170 kiloton blast in the arctic.

The scale on the chart is in log kilotons which is...certainly a unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpaxvjFh-qA

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/07/on-its-13th-launch-rocket-lab-loses-a-mission/

Rocket Lab launched a rocket carrying seven satellites, nicknamed Pics Or It Didn't Happen.

POIDH had a second stage failure. The camera lost contact before the failure, so... There are not pics.

Tempting fate and/or the Kraken there.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Managed to get a cellphone+telescope shot of Neowise comet today before it dipped below the tree line! I'm so excited!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    edited July 2020
    Spotted it in Seattle. No photos for me alas- smartphone plus unstable binoculars = no.

SO's phone nailed the shot though. The image processing in some smartphones is nuts.

It was hard to spot at first but easy when we found it and knew where to look- saw it on the way back to the car accidentally. While we were passing under a streetlight!

Edit: it's also much higher on the horizon than you might think when it was first visible and even when we left at ~10:45 it was above the trees.

Phoenix-D on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Yeah, my wife got some great shots last night, too. We found the darkest spot in our neighborhood and set up a tripod for some long exposure shots.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Spotted it in Seattle. No photos for me alas- smartphone plus unstable binoculars = no.

SO's phone nailed the shot though. The image processing in some smartphones is nuts.

It was hard to spot at first but easy when we found it and knew where to look- saw it on the way back to the car accidentally. While we were passing under a streetlight!

Edit: it's also much higher on the horizon than you might think when it was first visible and even when we left at ~10:45 it was above the trees.

Did you have to travel outside the city / away from light pollution to see it? I'm thinking about driving an hour or so out of the metro tomorrow night to try and get a look... but if I don't have to that would be great.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg

Did you have to travel outside the city / away from light pollution to see it? I'm thinking about driving an hour or so out of the metro tomorrow night to try and get a look... but if I don't have to that would be great.

No. Like I said it was visible standing under a streetlight, though faint. The viewing spot we went to was just a decent sized unlit local park.

Absolutely darker is better but we had sighting downtown. Bring a sky app and binoculars, it's naked eye visible but easier to first find with the binoculars.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I am amazingly cursed for comets. Overcast every night this past week and rain for the next week, so I'm pretty sure I'm missing this one entirely.

Meanwhile, the UAE was joining the ongoing invasion of Mars for the current launch window, but Hope's launch was delayed due to weather. They're trying again Friday, looks like.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2006_P1_(McNaught)

Does anyone remember this comet? The images are really impressive but I can't remember hearing a thing about it at the time.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2006_P1_(McNaught)

Does anyone remember this comet? The images are really impressive but I can't remember hearing a thing about it at the time.

I remember McNaught. I saw it from a rural town at sunset, needed binoculars to spot it. The tail was not gigantically huge like that to my eye, looked a lot more like the pictures of Neowise I've seen going around lately. I suspect that's camera magic with long exposures, stacking, etc to bring out that huge tail.

I remember people saying you could see it in broad daylight if something was obscuring the sun (like a building). I tried but could never spot it in the daytime.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Speaking of New Horizons, remember how people were talking about how Pluto might've had subsurface oceans? To get the surface formations seen now, Pluto would've needed to have formed hot and quick, not but slowly congealing cold things together. That would've been plenty of heat to get those oceans before, which are very likely still liquid and now for billions of years old, a perfect abode for hidden life, protected from hard radiation and the cold of space. This is a wild possibility that no SF ever thought of, even after we found out about Europa's likely oceans.

And it's possible that if Pluto formed like this, other distant dwarf planets might also have deep subsurface oceans that could also be hospitable to life. We've barely seen any of it and space is just wild.

I wonder if Charon's presence and distance to Pluto helps keep the core warm via tidal heating, too.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow

No. Like I said it was visible standing under a streetlight, though faint. The viewing spot we went to was just a decent sized unlit local park.

Absolutely darker is better but we had sighting downtown. Bring a sky app and binoculars, it's naked eye visible but easier to first find with the binoculars.

Followed your lead and walked to a nearby park. Was able to see the comet naked eye. Was rather faint but well defined. I might try driving out of the metro for a better view tomorrow night.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg

Followed your lead and walked to a nearby park. Was able to see the comet naked eye. Was rather faint but well defined. I might try driving out of the metro for a better view tomorrow night.

Definitely get to a dark place if you can!

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Definitely get to a dark place if you can!

i mean we technically all are

this being 2020 and all

5gsowHm.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    "You need to be in a dark place to see stars" feels like it should be written in cursive on a piece of driftwood and hung in a pastel-shaded kitchen next to the "It's wine o'clock somewhere!!!" slate

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/07/on-its-13th-launch-rocket-lab-loses-a-mission/

Rocket Lab launched a rocket carrying seven satellites, nicknamed Pics Or It Didn't Happen.

POIDH had a second stage failure. The camera lost contact before the failure, so... There are not pics.

Sucks that Rocket Lab had a mission failure though. I love those guys.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Eleven in a row, and two failures in thirteen launches. That's not terrible as unmanned systems go, many of them hover around 10% failure rate.

Launch insurance is a thing, and luckily the main payload wasn't anything amazing or unique but the first in a large planned constellation of non-scientific ground imaging satellites, once they figure out why it lost thrust in the second stage they should be back to flight ops in no time.

This discussion has been closed.