As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3D modeling thread

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Source Filmmaker might be useful? It's a bit more than what you're asking for since it's designed for animating cinematics, but if you ignore the animation part, posing imported models in a scene and lighting them and setting up cameras is what you do in it. I can't speak to how simple it is to use though. It's a free download in steam.

Basically any 3D modeling and rendering program will be able to do that stuff though, if you ignore the parts you don't need. Blender, etc. The only problem is they're not really as simple as you're asking for.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    When I was sixteen, I made an iron-on tshirt image of this for my girlfriend, because her nickname was "Pixie."

pcmzh50sm93p.png

I don't want to crush anyone's dreams here, but I imagine it's hard to get into 3D modeling when you learn that someone else perfected the medium long before you arrived.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    hey, is there a simple 3D placement and assets program that lets you import models, pose characters in environments, and then add some lighting and camera perspective?

I need a preferably free and very simple to use tool, this will mainly be used for composition

You might want to try DAZ 3D, if you're looking for ready to go, poseable people. There are premium models you can buy for it, but the free ones it comes with are pretty versatile. I'm pretty sure you can import other objects for environmental stuff as .OBJ or COLLADA .DAE (which I think the Google Sketchup Warehouse will export as, if you want to grab things from there). The render engine it uses is IRAY, which is an NVIDIA raytracing engine.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Our company's used Unity 3D for non-game purposes like making videos with, but since we already know Unity it's hard for me to say how simple that is compared to other stuff, to a newbie. But just plopping models and lights in is pretty simple I think.

• Options
    Hello 3D modelling thread!

Have you seen these Lazy Tutorials for Blender? They're pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1f6NDCttUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plw03MczF5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWq-ZPMhai8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imkSdlbXB_U

There are a few more on his Youtube channel.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    VOyUbqa.jpg

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    One time in college I used Blender to make an animated intro for a friend's student film entry. Basically just the "studio" name text unrolling and orbiting a sphere with an Earth texture on it, spoofing the paramount intro. It is by far the most I've ever accomplished with Blender or really any sort of visual art. This has been my 1 story of non abject failure in rendering.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Sounds pretty good to me!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    One time in college I used Blender to make an animated intro for a friend's student film entry. Basically just the "studio" name text unrolling and orbiting a sphere with an Earth texture on it, spoofing the paramount intro. It is by far the most I've ever accomplished with Blender or really any sort of visual art. This has been my 1 story of non abject failure in rendering.

Was the audio like a kazoo or something?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    There was a little challenge for node based rendering software called Nodevember last month and people made some really fancy things with just shader nodes applied to planes or spheres.

https://twitter.com/simonthommes
    wbf2ipflzbe1.jpg
    vv7n1mmwnlaw.jpg

I recently tried my hand at making something with just nodes, as well!

vpyvopsoo4gg.png
    9ygv7ds3s22s.png

Chocolate Butt Math!

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Was the audio like a kazoo or something?

Nah just some audio clip of a trumpet fanfare that might have been the paramount one. But now I feel dumb for not using a kazoo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    Hey folks I've decided to completely start from scratch since I realized that I've forgotten pretty much everything so if anyone wants to join in you are welcome to do so
    Gonna go down everything from this playlist first and then see where I can go from there.

Complete Beginners Guide to Blender 2.8 | Free course | Part 1 | The Interface 18:24
    https://youtu.be/7MRonzqYJgw

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Here’s another 2.8 beginner’s guide that I started following recently. I used to know my way around Blender pretty decently about ... god, 11 years ago. Forgot almost everything other than “the mouse is set up in a way that is the opposite of everything you’ve ever done with it on a computer,” and I’m happy that is no longer the case. Anyways, go make yourself a donut! Worst part about this tutorial is knowing I don’t have nearly the super graphics card he does.

Course teaser:

https://youtu.be/NyJWoyVx_XI

Fawst on
  • Options
    I'm not about to switch over to Blender from any other program but I do find it really funny that over the course of about a year Blender's sculpting tools have gone from a shitty version of Maya's 2013's sculpting tools to a rudimentary version of Zbrush. It really makes me hope that in a few more years they'll either push the big companies to make a truly amazing product to stand out or the free alternative will just be industry standard.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Hello 3D Thread,

here is a little drone I've been building in Blender

pux29w4sh2z6.png

2nuk8zylec6n.png

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I like that it has a little butt

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

I think that's the rear exhaust

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I think that's the rear exhaust

... but you repeat yourself.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Blender 2.8 Beginner Tutorial - Part 1: Introduction 5:32
    The entire thing took me like 3 days to go through but I think it might be the best free course available online. I really learned a lot from it.
    ojvjsc6nh49z.png

Peas on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Fawst wrote: »
    Here’s another 2.8 beginner’s guide that I started following recently. I used to know my way around Blender pretty decently about ... god, 11 years ago. Forgot almost everything other than “the mouse is set up in a way that is the opposite of everything you’ve ever done with it on a computer,” and I’m happy that is no longer the case. Anyways, go make yourself a donut! Worst part about this tutorial is knowing I don’t have nearly the super graphics card he does.

Course teaser:

https://youtu.be/NyJWoyVx_XI

I just started watching this and I have to say, I am really glad that I didn't miss the first video because using the ~ key for view control is a major game changer. I really hated using the numpads for that, it's so cumbersome.

Blender Beginner Tutorial - Part 1
    m42ecll2e1eg.jpg

I didn't model anything at all just learnt how to set an available mesh on fire

Peas on
  • Options
    Level 1 of the donut tutorial completed!
    qgrqy6swxwab.png

I have to say despite both the apple and donut tutorials being made for total beginners, there is always something new introduced. I like that Blender guru tossed in some basic sculpting so early on, it's something I have not dared to touch for ages.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I am trying to 3D print a Doom Slayer helmet! The STL I have for the visor has all the details convex on the surface, because it's meant to be used as a vacuum form buck. In game the details appear to be on the inside of the glass. Buuut, I don't really have the ability to vacuum form a visor, so I was planning on resin casting it - so I need the opposite configuration, the same visor shape, but with all the details recessed into the surface.

Any ideas how I'd go about doing that? Is it achievable in Meshmixer?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Level 2 of the donut tutorial completed! Sprinkled donut get!
    4h98e9oywl1f.png

Them nodes are some magical wizardry stuff

Peas on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    fuck now I really want a donut

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    Level 2 of the donut tutorial completed! Sprinkled donut get!

Them nodes are some magical wizardry stuff

The first time I made a procedural shader in Maya was the first time I thought "oh, so I guess The Matrix could be real."

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Part 6, Level 4: Compiling the Final Video - Blender Beginner Tutorial completed!
    njt7img8bi8a.png
    ucxcttt6c3w8.gif

I thought I have a relatively beefy laptop but it barely made it through the glass portion of the donut tutorial, so much slowdowns as well as crashes.
    Still I am pretty happy to have actually made it all the way to the end. Not sure where to go from here, I am definitely much more familiar with the ui and shortcuts now but like before, if you ask me to just make something without any help, I probably wouldn't be able to pull it off.

edit:
    How To Model A Spoon In Blender (Beginner Tutorial) 6:11 zyjlf48xuve2.png
    Tried out the fork, spoon and plate tutorial from his channel

Peas on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Blender Beginner Modelling Tutorial - Part 1 17:57
    440tdtmvypfg.png
    Cleared another tutorial from Blender Guru. This one was definitely more specific and dry in terms of scope. Learning how to set up a simple studio lighting at the end was really fun though.

Peas on
  • Options
    If you're looking for some tutorials with more styyyyyyyyle there's always Polygon Runway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dueSa_-KUwE

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    That looks so cool but it's way out of my league for now haha, gonna put it on my backlog and go back to it later if I manage to keep my current momentum up and get better

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Beginner Exercises | Part 1 | Blender 2.8 14:34
    r87pos9e67qa.png
    Going through Grant Abbitt's beginner exercises now, I put in a barebones version of Blender Guru's lighting setup so I could post a simple render.

edit:
    Continuation on the series. I am struggling with the camera out of all things, the slight off-tilt is killing me
    207vsxpivwg6.png

edit:
    Level 3 is really fun because I can pose them like toys after finishing
    s70rq13bpb5x.png

edit:
    Level 4 of the series, hopefully it's not too dark to see
    utruyupqoe4n.png

Peas on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Beginners Alien Sculpting Tutorials - Easy Follow Along 15:33
    33hdu5gt91aw.png

Decided to switch it up and learn sculpting today, I did have the chance to go through a zbrush crash course for 2 weeks a few years back and it's mindblowing how much a free software like Blender can manage to be so similar to it. Current thoughts are it's really fun and I hope to be able to do more of it in the future.

Peas on
  • Options
    Sculpting is real fun. In fact I decided to have a go at a 15 minute alien sculpt like in that tutorial, give or take a couple minutes because I accidentally unfocused which display my Cintiq was reacting to and accidentally opened a bunch of windows in the confusion.

iN1wGol.jpg

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    That looks super amazing! I really like how you show the figure rotating in the picture too

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Blender 2.8 for Beginners - Making a 3D Lightsaber - Basic Modeling (2/5) 21:10 rf57d742u9rp.png
    zg9k5g7enug1.png
    Made a lasersword

Peas on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Listen, it's fine. It's what you do with it that counts.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Little project that I'm working on this weekend. Blender's sculpting tools keep improving and sculpting these planes is a lot easier than it was even a couple months ago.

750e5uehhhmf.png

Looking forward to the sculpt vertex painting tools that are supposed to be implemented in Blender 2.90. The regular old vertex painting setup is pretty weak.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Amazing and inspiring as always!

My haul for today:

Blender Beginner Tutorial 1/4 | Blocking Tutorial 5:45
    It's a pretty bad tutorial and I wouldn't recommend any beginners to start with this. Pretty disappointing since it's something official from Blender. I tried to keep up with it for a couple of hours before giving up at the part where I have to unwrap uvs. Maybe next time.

mi8zx3qw4yyh.png

Unwrapping & Placing 2d Textures | Blender 2.8 | Beginner 19:02
    Trying to unwrap my mind and gain more experience about unwrapping textures
    cvur1bpnnmbh.png

Creating Grass | the Cheap and Easy Way | Blender 2.81 19:08
    Most fun I have today, no modeling skills required since it's mostly just using the software to manipulate and duplicate stuff. The stuff behind is a background image.
    ggeqa33f85p8.png

Peas on
  • Options
    Blender Intermediate Modelling Tutorial - Part 1 13:39
    Not sure if I would fully recommend this because it uses an older version of Blender which could lead up to a lot of frustrating moments among moments throughout the entire course. It did run me through a ton of processes and features which I didn't know exist. I think this might be one of the few exceptions in which I recommend people to read youtube comments, it's pretty much impossible to proceed without their help.
    rdd823g778gp.png