As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That is not [bad food] which does eternal lie, and in strange youtubes, even food may die

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I just ordered 69 dollars worth of McDonald's because I fell asleep after work, everything was more or less closed when I woke up, and I'm running low on groceries, didn't have any quick meal stuff, and didn't want to cook anything complicated at 10PM.

It should carry me for a few days at least. I bought a bunch of random shit.

I'd ask if you're me but the worst I've done was $30 at Burger King and that was with a bunch of specials to maximize the trash for the buck

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Nice.

Also, holy shit. Does McDonald's reheat? I know their fries aren't worth a damn after five minutes, because I once had a very disappointing evening trying to make after-work chili cheese fries with them. And it was some fucking good homemade chili.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Nice.

Also, holy shit. Does McDonald's reheat? I know their fries aren't worth a damn after five minutes, because I once had a very disappointing evening trying to make after-work chili cheese fries with them. And it was some fucking good homemade chili.

I can't speak to McDonalds but Carl's Jr's spicy chicken sandwiches, ordered plain, will re-heat pretty well. I lived off those things for a while working swing on an industrial printing press. I also ate Nalley Chili straight out of the can back then, so yea, take my food recommendations with a grain of salt.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Nice.

It's just a matter of playing with oven temps and times. I was able to reheat BK fries adequately enough

• PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Onion, pepper, and pickle are all tasty things that I'm good with having on my hot dog, though I'd want the pickle diced up.

And with the exception of the pickle, I put those things in my chili anyway.

I did beer brats on the grill last weekend and since we didn't have any dill relish to go on them I threw some white onion, banana peppers and a couple dill pickles in the food processor and made a 'relish'. Turns out its pretty damn good.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    A Chicago hot dog has very specific things on it, and french fries aren't one of those things

yellow mustard, chopped white onions, bright green sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, pickled sport peppers and a dash of celery salt

This seems to be widely agreed upon consensus

Much like we have more than just stuffed when it comes to pizza, we have more than one popular style of hot dog in Chicago. There are plenty of places in Chicago that wrap fries in the same paper as your hot dog, so you end up with a few fries on it if you want or can take them off if you don't. Scroll down just a little bit further in the wikipedia entry you copied that list from and look at "Depression Dogs" under variations :P

Celery salt is used in 50% of the places I've ever had a dog from at most. Pretty sure it would actually be less than that. Plain relish is also frequently used in place of the neon green sweet pickle relish - both are common.

That video is showing hot dogs from Superdawg, which is a goddamned Chicago institution. I met the original owners years ago, and they were wonderful people. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg

I freely admit that I grew up getting the classic version of the Chicago dog (at a South Side institution that has since closed) with neon green relish and NO french fries on it. Much like my opinions about Correct Chicago Pizza they are extremely specific based on family tradition and will not be altered by FALSE PROPHET HOT DOGS.

Nah just kidding there's room for more than one tradition.

I guess.

...sorta.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/qRLB0eFmmw4

Relevant Hot Dog Content

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Onion, pepper, and pickle are all tasty things that I'm good with having on my hot dog, though I'd want the pickle diced up.

And with the exception of the pickle, I put those things in my chili anyway.

It just feels like a very high salad to dog ratio is all

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    A Chicago hot dog has very specific things on it, and french fries aren't one of those things

yellow mustard, chopped white onions, bright green sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, pickled sport peppers and a dash of celery salt

This seems to be widely agreed upon consensus

Much like we have more than just stuffed when it comes to pizza, we have more than one popular style of hot dog in Chicago. There are plenty of places in Chicago that wrap fries in the same paper as your hot dog, so you end up with a few fries on it if you want or can take them off if you don't. Scroll down just a little bit further in the wikipedia entry you copied that list from and look at "Depression Dogs" under variations :P

Celery salt is used in 50% of the places I've ever had a dog from at most. Pretty sure it would actually be less than that. Plain relish is also frequently used in place of the neon green sweet pickle relish - both are common.

That video is showing hot dogs from Superdawg, which is a goddamned Chicago institution. I met the original owners years ago, and they were wonderful people. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg

I freely admit that I grew up getting the classic version of the Chicago dog (at a South Side institution that has since closed) with neon green relish and NO french fries on it. Much like my opinions about Correct Chicago Pizza they are extremely specific based on family tradition and will not be altered by FALSE PROPHET HOT DOGS.

Nah just kidding there's room for more than one tradition.

I guess.

...sorta.

My family had a couple of spots they liked when I was young and one did the garden style that most people think of and one did depression dogs, so I grew up liking both.

The only thing I'm really prescriptive about with Chicago food is Italian beef. You get your beef, you can add sweet peppers or hot peppers or neither or both, and if you are a true connoisseur you want it dipped or juicy or however your local joint likes to refer to it when you bathe that sandwich in gravy. Throw an Italian sausage in there too if you feel like a combo.

Under no circumstances do you ever add red sauce, or cheese, or any other terrible idea that's popular out in the burbs. I'd rather put ketchup on a hot dog than eat an Italian beef with anything like that.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'd like to try Italian beef sometime. I mean, I like both of those words. But I'm on one side of the country, not in the middle, and I'm not sure where I'd get some around here.

I'd like to try Italian beef sometime. I mean, I like both of those words. But I'm on one side of the country, not in the middle, and I'm not sure where I'd get some around here.

If you happen to be anywhere near L.A., Phoenix or Tampa you could seek out Portillo's - a chain that started in Chicago and makes a perfectly acceptable Italian beef sandwich. Not amazing, but good enough that I get one there once every month or two since they're far more convenient to me where I live out in the burbs now. Otherwise, I have never encountered or heard of a good beef outside of the Chicago area, unfortunately.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

If you happen to be anywhere near L.A., Phoenix or Tampa you could seek out Portillo's - a chain that started in Chicago and makes a perfectly acceptable Italian beef sandwich. Not amazing, but good enough that I get one there once every month or two since they're far more convenient to me where I live out in the burbs now. Otherwise, I have never encountered or heard of a good beef outside of the Chicago area, unfortunately.

You can try checking on yelp for hot dog joints. Any mom & pop place that goes all in on the Chicago theme probably has italian beef too.

steam_sig.png
    TNTrooper wrote: »

You can try checking on yelp for hot dog joints. Any mom & pop place that goes all in on the Chicago theme probably has italian beef too.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Portillo's is literally the only hot dog joint I've ever been to that makes a decent beef sandwich. Even in Chicago, Italian beef from a hot dog joint or a pizza place is pretty much guaranteed to be subpar. My favorite fast food place in the world is a little one-off spot near my parents' house with great burgers, solid garden style dogs, tasty barbecue, above average gyros - really, everything they offer is at the very least a solid B. Except their Italian beef, which is close to being a jailable offense.

A good Italian beef sandwich is sublime. A transformative experience. A bad Italian beef sandwich is bland and boring and will make you wonder why people like them at all. Do not let your first experience with Italian beef be at a joint that is not known for it.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I have the hunger for Athens style Suflaki right now, and you can't find a really good one in this city.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'm in Oregon, a bit south of Portland. So I guess I'm just boned, then. :'(

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

This was thrashed out over in the blm protest thread but the editor of BA resigned. (They also found pictures of him in brown face and, on video once got sohola and priya mixed up which is Not A Good Look)

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I just ordered 69 dollars worth of McDonald's because I fell asleep after work, everything was more or less closed when I woke up, and I'm running low on groceries, didn't have any quick meal stuff, and didn't want to cook anything complicated at 10PM.

It should carry me for a few days at least. I bought a bunch of random shit.

I'd ask if you're me but the worst I've done was $30 at Burger King and that was with a bunch of specials to maximize the trash for the buck

Back when The Burning Crusade came out, two friends and I set up a LAN at one of their houses and we made a "stocking up" trip to Wendy's and bought I think 80 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers while our other friend ran to the Kroger and bought, I think, ten 12-packs of Mountain Dew Live Wire. Over the course of the next 4 days or so we consumed all of it.

We were disgusting.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Yeah he always seemed a little weird in the videos he appeared in. Like the editors made him look sketchy on purpose

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I said it in discord literally like, the day before the BA shit appeared, that Rapo always skeeved me out when he was on screen. I've heard it said before that some people get uneasy around certain personality types as some kind of evolutionary thing (I don't think the term psychopath is used any more, but that was specifically what was mentioned) and he just hit that part of my brain, like, "there's something off about this guy, make him go away, please".

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Nice.

I can't speak to McDonalds but Carl's Jr's spicy chicken sandwiches, ordered plain, will re-heat pretty well. I lived off those things for a while working swing on an industrial printing press. I also ate Nalley Chili straight out of the can back then, so yea, take my food recommendations with a grain of salt.

Mcd's stuff does reheat but only very specific sammiches. Specifically the plain cheeseburger and hamburger reheat just fine. In fact, you can freeze the hamburgers/cheese burgers while still in their paper wrapper for later if you want then, simply take them out of the freezer and while still covered in the wrapper, flip them upside down and microwave them for a minute. It's basically the equivalent of white castle frozen burgers but if you're absolutely craving a simple cheeseburger or hamburger and don't want to go out, these will work in a pinch. Essentially any sammich that's only meat/cheese/mustard/ketechup/oninon/pickle should allow you to do this.

It's true that we get our Italian beefs and combos from our pizza joints and not our hot dog stands

Also what the fresh bullshit are you telling me about people putting red sauce or cheese on an Italian beef, who the hell is driving this flying umbrella

Grumble grumble STOMP STOMP STOMP

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Most foods are ketchup delivery devices.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I'm in Oregon, a bit south of Portland. So I guess I'm just boned, then. :'(

@Commander Zoom There is a place in SE Portland that I think is pretty good. However, I've only been to Chicago once, and that time just went out with work people for a deep dish, so I am far from an expert. Still, it passed my 'does this taste good?' test.

Here's a link to the map. The website listed on the map description is for a place of the same name in Australia; I don't think they are actually related.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    To celebrate the warmer, summer months, Popeyes is offering a deal for all of June that you probably won't want to pass up.

The fried chicken chain is offering a free three-piece chicken tenders box when you spend a minimum of $10 through the Popeyes app. The deal is running now through the end of the month, so you have a while to grab some tenders.(If you spend more than $15 on your order you can get free delivery as well.)

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    back, vile temptress

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, after making ice cream this weekend, I had like 5 egg whites left over. A responsible adult would probably have used them to make low-fat scrambled eggs for a few breakfasts.

Instead, I’m making meringue cookies, and telling myself I’ll make them last like a week.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want to make ice cream

Is there a way to do it without a giant bowl of ice though? (also don't have a hand mixer or small metal bowl)

I don't have a good way to get or store that much ice.

Uriel wrote: »
    I want to make ice cream

Is there a way to do it without a giant bowl of ice though? (also don't have a hand mixer or small metal bowl)

I don't have a good way to get or store that much ice.

What I actually made was called Semifreddo. It’s a similarly custard-based dessert, but there’s no churning or ice involved, and it set a bit softer than most ice cream. It tastes basically exactly like normal ice cream to me.

It does require either an electric mixer or a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, though; one part of the recipe is basically whipped cream, and then you whip the custard as well.

I used the semifreddo recipe from this collection of ice cream sandwich recipes. This one was cream cheese flavored, to go with carrot cake. There are of course recipes for any other flavors out there.

Alternatively, you can do it by hand if you have a whisk, lots of parience, and lots of stamina in your arms. I wouldn’t reccomend it, though.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So, after making ice cream this weekend, I had like 5 egg whites left over. A responsible adult would probably have used them to make low-fat scrambled eggs for a few breakfasts.

Instead, I’m making meringue cookies, and telling myself I’ll make them last like a week.

Egg white scrambles/omelets are for joyless human shams who would eat packing peanuts if self help books said d they were healthy.

That said, I wouldn’t say no to using an egg white to make a scrabble thet contains full eggs a bit bigger. Not no yolk, but extra white.

Hm. Oh dear. The recipe I found wants me to keep the meringues in the oven after turning it off, and not open it so as to keep heat in for another couple hours. But my oven automatically runs a fan to cool itself off as soon as it turns off. I don’t know how bad that’s going to mess with the bake.

Hm. Oh dear. The recipe I found wants me to keep the meringues in the oven after turning it off, and not open it so as to keep heat in for another couple hours. But my oven automatically runs a fan to cool itself off as soon as it turns off. I don’t know how bad that’s going to mess with the bake.

Very. Baking is precise and that sort of thing would probably dry out your creation.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2020

The main thing is you don't want to cool them too quickly because then they crack (drying out isn't so much of an issue with meringue)

Do you have somewhere sealed where you can put the warm tray? Or can you turn the oven to a really low setting? I mean worst case scenario is they don't look quite as pretty, it's not the end of the world.

tynic on
    I’m swapping over to the lowest keep warm setting the oven has. I don’t want to get overzealous with keeping them warm, but swapping back to the cooking temperature would also be a bad move, I think. I’ll take a look and maybe poke one after an hour.

I’m not going to be too bummed I’d they turn out matte instead of glossy. I just don’t want to end up with sawdust.

lowest setting is probably fine. There's all sorts of finicky temperature stuff you can do to make the middle your desired level of chewy or gloopy or whathaveyou, but at the end of the day it's cooked sugar and egg white and it takes effort to really fuck that up.

I hope they turn out even a little chewy. I’ve had some really dry meringues in my time, but I’m determined to see if I can make one I really like, after seeing it talked up all the time on the great British baking show.

edited June 2020
    oh, ok. The longer you leave them in heat the more they will dry out, but as long as the setting is super low you should be ok. I don't have a good rule of thumb for how slow to optimally cool down meringues but iirc it takes them a looooong time to go dry all the way through. Especially if they're good and plump.

tynic on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Uriel the ice cream recipe that I tried last weekend was really good!

1 can sweetened condensed milk
    2 cups heavy cream
    vanilla

you mix the vanilla into the condensed milk, whip up the cream to stiff, and then fold the whipped cream into the vanilla milk and freeze it.

it's very light in texture in comparison and freezes to an almost mid ice cream (it doesn't turn into a brick like Breyers ice cream)

hardest part would be the whipping the cream by hand, but I'm sure you can do that

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    One of the weirdest things that seems to be true is Almond Chicken tastes like crap as left overs
    Something about it just doesn't like being refrigerated.
    I have had burger king left in a hot car for hours taste far better than it

This discussion has been closed.