As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Help me, Cooking thread:

I've tried a couple of brands of teriyaki sauce now, and they all seem to be pretty indistinguishable from plain/regular soy sauce. When I've gotten prepared food - teriyaki chicken with rice, or meatballs - the sauce is much thicker, almost syrupy, and noticeably sweet. Where can I find that, and how do I tell the difference on the shelf?

Would you like a recipe to make your own? It’s dead simple, takes about 10 minutes to make ahead, and you can adjust for your desired consistency. This is my go-to formula:

Yields a bit more than half a liter (Reduce if you don’t need that much)
    60-90g sugar
    200 ml cooking sake
    200 ml mirin
    250 ml soy sauce
    Combine all ingredients in a pot over medium heat. Bring up the temperature while stirring until all sugar is dissolved, then remove from heat and bottle.

https://youtu.be/XKN9y5i7ZP8

godmode on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Thanks for the recipe, and I might give it a try.
    I did pick up a bottle of Soy Vay Island Teriyaki today (from the next aisle over from the soy sauce, next to the BBQ actually) and both the taste and consistency do seem closer to what I was looking for/expecting. Again, I wonder what the difference is in terms of category/branding.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I got my Instant Pot air-fryer lid, did a batch of spiced cauliflower for tacos. Came out really well, at least as good as oven-roasting, I'm really happy with the results so far. I can't wait to try some weirder stuff.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I got my Instant Pot air-fryer lid, did a batch of spiced cauliflower for tacos. Came out really well, at least as good as oven-roasting, I'm really happy with the results so far. I can't wait to try some weirder stuff.

Hows the batch size? I've heard it's pretty small for the 6qt.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

It's not huge. The basket has two tiers so I could easily fit a chopped up cauliflower head. You could probably do like a medium chicken in there. Probably can't do like... fries for more than 2-3 people tho.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

It's not huge. The basket has two tiers so I could easily fit a chopped up cauliflower head. You could probably do like a medium chicken in there. Probably can't do like... fries for more than 2-3 people tho.

Gotcha. It's just my wife and me so as long as it is big enough for two then that should be fine.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Does jellyfish... taste good...?

Nope! It's basically snot that tastes vaguely of the sea.

Jellyfish is a delicacy in various Chinese quisines , and it’s one of a handful of dishes that is really just there to provide texture to a sauce. The actual flavor of jellyfish is so mild that all you really get is the taste of the sauce, so the sauces themselves are bright and I’ve enjoyed basically all of them.

I probably wouldn’t eat unseasoned jellyfish, you’re basically just eating sea water.

Mobile, aquatic celery. (Or iceberg lettuce.)

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah the one time I ate jellyfish it was entirely unseasoned and I believe it was boiled, not fried or grilled. It was like the consistency of raw egg white.

Yeah the one time I ate jellyfish it was entirely unseasoned and I believe it was boiled, not fried or grilled. It was like the consistency of raw egg white.

That sounds miserable.

sarukun wrote: »

That sounds miserable.

It was a salty old sailor trying to teach us greenhorns a lesson on what was and was not edible in the ocean.

Without going into detail, do not eat seagull or albatross, under basically any circumstance.

That sounds miserable.

It was a salty old sailor trying to teach us greenhorns a lesson on what was and was not edible in the ocean.

Without going into detail, do not eat seagull or albatross, under basically any circumstance.

Hell, I knew that from the fuckin' long-ass poem.

We never did find that Paradise.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Jellyfish is a delicacy in various Chinese quisines , and it’s one of a handful of dishes that is really just there to provide texture to a sauce. The actual flavor of jellyfish is so mild that all you really get is the taste of the sauce, so the sauces themselves are bright and I’ve enjoyed basically all of them.

I probably wouldn’t eat unseasoned jellyfish, you’re basically just eating sea water.

I’ve had it before, and it’s one of the three foods I don’t eat (corn and beetroot are the other two) but I’ve not had a jellyfish dish I’ve actually enjoyed.

Blake T on
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Made a mulligatawny soup with chicken for lunch today:

YlLeA87.jpg?1

The sweetness of the apples and the richness of the cream made for a fantastic combination

xet8c.gif

• kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    deep-fried seagull tossed in a combination of Franks's Red Hot and butter (50/50), served with celery sticks and some bleu cheese dressing is to die for.

Wait, no. I mean chicken, not seagull. And specifically, chicken wings.

kilnborn on
    Blake T wrote: »

I’ve had it before, and it’s one of the three foods I don’t eat (corn and beetroot are the other two) but I’ve not had a jellyfish dish I’ve actually enjoyed.

I’ve never had one I didn’t like.

Pretty sure they’re no actual nutrition in the things though.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    There'll be a little protein in there I suppose.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Plus you gain their courage.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Jellyfish have no courage!

or honor!

What they do have is neurotoxin.

Lots and lots of neurotoxin.

edited June 2020
    Made smash burgers tonight. I love cooking in cast iron for two reasons. One is that it makes amazing food. These burgers came out with the most amazing crust on both sides while still being incredibly juicy. Second reason is when everything cooks perfectly in the pan, the patties release with no issue, it only takes like 30 seconds to clean up once the burgers are done, and then you're left with this pan with a deep black consistent seasoning, and it's like that because I've taken good care of the pan and cooked a ton of food in it. I love that the pans get better with every use and they reward you for cooking more often.

webguy20 on
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Back in March my Mom sent me some three year barley miso and sweet white miso from South River Miso and I finally got around to making some miso soup for lunch today. I modified a recipe I found online and it came out just okay. I think the main culprit is the broth which was just water, diced onion, thinly sliced garlic, and minced ginger simmered for only 10 minutes. Ideally a dashi based broth would be best but I didn't have any dashi on hand. The firm tofu was fine but I think I'll try silken next time. I might have needed to add more than three tablespoons of the barley miso to five cups of water, but I can always add a bit more when I reheat the leftover soup.

I'm grilling lamb kofta burgers for dinner tonight and thought I'd add some sumac spice for a change. They're one of my favorite things to make and after seeing Chef John add some sumac to his kofta kebabs I thought I'd give it a try.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Traditionally the sumac would be sprinkled on top after cooking?

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Traditionally the sumac would be sprinkled on top after cooking?

I did both. A 1/2 teaspoon in with the lamb and about the same on top after the patties were grilled. The sumac added a really nice citrus tang and I'll definitely be adding it from now on.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    does anybody have any advice on how to make legumes not, you know, attempt to kill me?

I made some white beans and sausage the other night and I swear my intestines were trying to escape. It seems to happen to me with almost any legumes, including tofu.

pardon the possibly personal question:
    Is it a gas problem, or something else?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Gas and diarrhea. And the intense stomach cramps that go along with.

The more legumes present, the further down the scale of pain and gross.

You might just straight up have an allergy or sensitivity to them. I wouldn't worry so much about making them edible as I would just be not buying them any more.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Since I've been on overnights, and with my wife not working, she's been doing most of the cooking. And y'all, we had ribeye last night and it was so damn good.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Well, Beano (or some similar product) might help with the gas, but the rest... I dunno, sorry. :(

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Could be bean allergy, could be your gut biome needs to adjust to having more species that can handle legumes properly colonizing it. If it's not an allergy, maybe eating small amounts regularly that ramp up over time could induce a gut biome shift? Or maybe a fecal transplant or something. I dunno, I'm not a doctor.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NumiNumi Registered User regular
    My first attempt at a beef wellington turned out really well. Since I made it just for me I did use a steak instead of the traditional cut, but it was really easy to do all told.

iye9m642vhl4.jpg

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Breakfast quesadilla...
    https://youtu.be/8Dw2UyqIaik

Kinda think I should try this

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Someone send me some good olive oil and garlic I wanna make pasta

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    What’s your grungiest cooking hack this month

Mine is probably gonna be using a coconut ice cream bar I bought from my local Mexican grocer in a curry, because I didn’t want to crack a whole tin of coconut milk

So a general thread question.

Did you set yourself any culinary goals to learn while on lockdown? Did you have anything set as a single "I'm totally going to try and learn this (technique/recipe/skill" but you haven't gotten around to it yet?

Mine is making my own Mayo.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    What’s your grungiest cooking hack this month

Mine is probably gonna be using a coconut ice cream bar I bought from my local Mexican grocer in a curry, because I didn’t want to crack a whole tin of coconut milk

I been thinkin about this one

I put peanut butter on my ice cream last week but that wasn't really a hack so much as a "well fuck everything I guess" moment.

Also to ahava's question, I didn't really set any culinary goals, I just tackled some multi-day baking recipes I had been mulling on the back burner for a while. Made some laminated yeasted bread, made that Jewish deli style sourdough rye, got really into English muffins...

It's funny, I feel like I should have decided to pick up a new skill, but on the other hand I already have a metric shitton of hobbies I never have enough time for, and for all the industries/business units that have been idling with nothing to do, my job has had me swamped to varying degrees since March.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    So a general thread question.

Did you set yourself any culinary goals to learn while on lockdown? Did you have anything set as a single "I'm totally going to try and learn this (technique/recipe/skill" but you haven't gotten around to it yet?

Mine is making my own Mayo.

I was never actually forced to isolate. But I did learn how to bread. But I’ve been that busy these past couple of weekends I haven’t had the time to re-bread.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Breakfast quesadilla...
    https://youtu.be/8Dw2UyqIaik

Kinda think I should try this

I love

Shabu

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
This discussion has been closed.