As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] now returns you to your regular programming.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Good news, everybody. Looks like Chris Redfield is back on the juice.

*Grizzly Adams warm smile and approval*

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Ahem.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638230/

Journey released on Steam today

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Jesus getting the final fantasy 14 demo running is a pain in the ass. The launcher is fiddley as hell and now it’s not accepting my login saying I haven’t registered a service with it, no shit it’s a trial I have no service

Prohass on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Please allow me to direct your attention to Stray, an upcoming third-person adventure game where you are a stray cat. With a backpack.

It should be illegal to do this to me.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    For folks that grabbed the itch bundle, one of the games included is Lizzi Crossing. It's picross meets minesweeper and it's so good.
    36sba0eotluk.png

Orivon on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Orivon wrote: »
    For folks that grabbed the itch bundle, one of the games included is Lizzi Crossing. It's picross meets minesweeper and it's so good.
    36sba0eotluk.png

This is exactly what I want. Over the course of the next year (2 years? 3 years?) I'm hoping people post about their experiences with these games. There's so much to dig into here, and I know there's some gems. I'm seriously writing these down.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Ahem.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638230/

Journey released on Steam today

Is it possible to mod the soundtrack so Journey plays while you play Journey?

• Options
    Is South Detroit a desert now?

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Is South Detroit a desert now?

Took the midnight gust of wind going anyyyyyyyyywheeerrrreeeee

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Mass Effect is a "classic" game?
    clas·sic
    /ˈklasik/

noun
    a work of art of recognized and established value.

Yes. Yes it is. By one definition of classic. :wink:

'Classic rock' is anything over twenty years. So 'classic video games' must obviously be something you remember playing that one time back when.

Hard disagree. When I listen to the classic rock station I definitely don't hear any music from 2000.

That they don't play it doesn't make it any less true.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I feel like Crosscode gets overhyped due to being sort of a hidden gem the forum found, but I do think it's a good game. If you want posts about Crosscode, here's one I made back around when it came out.
    cB557 wrote: »
    Man, the complexity of CrossCode is nuts. So the core gameplay of it is comprised of your melee, your ranged, your dash, your block, and your super arts. Melee is pretty simple, it's a four hit string where the fourth hit is the strongest and widest but it has some ending lag that can make it risky. Melee goes in the direction your character is facing. Your ranged attack goes in the direction your mouse is pointing. It starts out kinda inaccurate but it increases in accuracy as you shoot, or while you charge up a shot. It gains accuracy faster during charging, takes maybe a second to get to full accuracy. Stopping shooting or turning your aim far enough will decrease accuracy. Charged shots deal more damage, can ricochet off walls, deal a bit of knockback and can interrupt enemy attacks, but rapid uncharged shots have more raw DPS so there's good reasons for using both types of shot depending on the situation. Dash is a dash, it's got i-frames and you can dash 3 times in a row before needing a short pause to regain them. Block reduces damage but generally doesn't totally negate it, and if you have a short window at the start of your block where you can get a perfect block and negate all damage. Super arts are done by hitting the super button during any of these types of action, and each has different super arts.
    So, between all that you've got probably a bit above average amount of complexity, yeah? But we're not done. You've got a small sphere grid where you unlock stat bonuses and more super arts, and I think there's two tiers of each type of super art, with the second tier taking one more pip of meter, and each tier has two different choices for what super art you go with, so I think there's like 16 different super arts in total.
    So, that's all pretty complex, yeah? We're not done. As you go trough the game, you'll unlock a total of four different elemental damage types, on top of the neutral damage type you start with, and you can swap between them on the fly during combat. Different elements can interact with certain objects in certain ways, for both puzzle solving and for making use of the environment in fights. Enemies will also have elemental weaknesses and resistances, so you want to swap elements to take advantage of those. You also will gain a different elemental weakness based on which element you're on at the time, so you also may want to swap to avoid that issue if the enemy has attacks with an elemental type. And there is of course a different status effect associated with each elemental type.
    So that's kinda getting really complex, yeah? We're not done. Where it really gets nuts is where each of these elemental types has its own sphere grid, all larger than the first one. And that's including their own different super arts. Now, one of those super art paths only has one variant as opposed to two, but one of the other paths gets a tier three super art (I think it might be some sort of combination of the two super arts along that path? I'm not certain, I haven't unlocked one yet) and the remaining two paths get tier three super arts in the usual pair of two different arts you can toggle between. So that's 19 more super arts per element, for a total of 82 super arts in total. If the level cap goes high enough to unlock the whole grid, then you could have 52 different super arts available at a given time, chosen by switching to whichever element, performing the associated action while hitting super, and then charging the super to the desired level.
    So that seems like it might be more than you could keep in your head at once, yeah? WE'RE NOT DONE. The sphere grids aren't just super arts, they've got stats and modifiers and shit. So you maybe in one element you focused on unlocking guard arts, picked up health and defense stat nodes, and got modifiers that increase your parry window, harm enemies when they hit your block, and give you super meter on successful parries. Maybe on another you focused on throw arts, picked up attack and focus nodes, and got modifiers that give you more dashing i-frames, let you aim faster, makes ranged attacks deal more damage, and increases your movement speed while aiming. Maybe you did something different on every single tree and you're swapping between four or five different combat styles on the fly on top of swapping between different elemental resistances and damages and super arts and status effects.
    We're almost done. To cap this all off, you've got gear slots that carry their own stats and modifiers. A lot of the modifiers you can find on the grid, but there's been ones I'm yet to see on the grid as well. So, it's not really that much of an increase of complexity in your in-combat decision making, but there's a hefty amount of complexity before you head out and you're trying to optimize your loadout.

CrossCode's pretty fun, I'd recommend it. But boy does it expect a lot of its players.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Please allow me to direct your attention to Stray, an upcoming third-person adventure game where you are a stray cat. With a backpack.

How you didn't use the word "cyberpunk" I have no idea.

Sold.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Catpack

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Sold.

I thought I did. In fairness, I was kind of spamming it to people everywhere so I may have skipped words in places. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

Sold.

I thought I did. In fairness, I was kind of spamming it to people everywhere so I may have skipped words in places. :lol:

It's okay I'm still suing you for damages to my soul.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Sold.

That is an acceptable excuse. :)

Seriously, that game looks like it could be completely amazing.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular

That must be the same game that's been in development for years and producing trailers, right? There couldn't possibly be two games that far along where one plays as a cat.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    an_alt wrote: »

That must be the same game that's been in development for years and producing trailers, right? There couldn't possibly be two games that far along where one plays as a cat.

I dunno. It seems pawsible.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'll like Crosscode when it tells me how to clear the fucking Ice Dungeon.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I guess I'm the only one who checked gameplay vids when I got stuck in Crosscode? It didn't make the puzzles any easier but at least I understood what I had to do

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I have beaten Day of the Tentacle. Delightful game and just the right difficulty because I only had to cheat twice. I also destroyed the universe twice but that's not relevant thanks to time travel.

3bj1hufdmf9u.png

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Wait, Stray isn't about the cat just crawling through the legs of the robots and knocking them over?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I bought ME3 and all the DLC the last time it went on sale for Origin. Still haven't played any of it. Figured they'd never come back to Steam.

I thought it was that game where you play as a cat in the walled city of Kowloon.

Either this company bought that team out, or someone just got their lunch eaten.

Edit: this is totally that game. The Twitter account for "HK Project" is now "Stray". Wonder when they went from Kowloon to a future robot city?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So this week, for reasons I'm not quite sure of, I have been mostly playing Contra: Rogue Corps. This got an absolute hammering when it was released, and it's not hard to see why, but the central twinstick shootymans loop has been just good enough to keep dragging me back and my brain doesn't seem to feel up to anything more challenging right now, so I've almost finished it, and... I think this honestly could have been something, but I can't say for certain if the problem was they didn't spend enough time and money, or that they spent too much. Because while there is a lot about it that is clearly shoddy, slapped together and unbalanced, it's also a long time since I've seen a clearer example of a game that could be greatly improved by just ripping half of it out. Firstly and most obviously, the separate competitive multiplayer online is a pointless waste of time that was dead five minutes after launch. Secondly, the upgrade system is a bloated mess, filled with hundreds of items offering minute +/-3% changes to various barely explained stats and effects when the design of the main game means the only two numbers any player will care about is their raw DPS and the size of their health bar. Thirdly, the number of levels need to be halved. Seriously, just chop off the front half of the single player campaign and throw it away. The game has forty or so levels, and the first thirty - minus some set-piece boss battles against huge enemies; those are fine, those are Contra, those can stay - are just the same five or six ruined city levels repeated over and over with more enemies. Then you hit the last ten or twelve levels, and suddenly the environments change up, and you're running through Contra-style jungles, and Contra-style biomechanical alien fortresses, and there are varied objectives, and some areas have alternate paths, and the camera perspective keeps changing but in ways that make sense unlike the rest of the game, and you're like where the piss has THIS been? You had this in your back pocket and you made me slog through those other levels five times each? If you could do this all along, why didn't you just do this? All right, the game would have been half to a third the length, and you probably wouldn't have been able to charge full price for it anymore, but it would have been a good game, that people liked and told other people to buy. I can't imagine how many of the small number of people who played this game would have enjoyed those levels but just gave up on it in frustration without even knowing they were there. Just a bafflingly confused game.

EDIT: Look, I know the weapons these guys are holding are meant to be, like, biomechanical axes or some such, but I will never, ever, ever stop seeing them as trying to batter me with shovels.

44e4uk4ase8p.jpg

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Woah the resident evil 3 demo is the most taxing game I’ve run so far on my new system. Still looks awesome and runs decent, but I’ll stick with my Xbox version I think for some games like this, just for ease of use and getting the right balance between frame rate and visuals, or at least one devs think is appropriate cos I feel hopeless in judging what’s best. I’m not a frame rate zealot tho, as long as it’s stable I’m fine

Also found a copy of dawn of war 3 for heaps cheap, really enjoying it. With real time strategy games Im the same as I am with fighting games, the core gameplay doesn’t particularly interest me, I have less than zero interest in multiplayer, but I’ll play them if the visuals are good and there’s lore and story. And quite enjoying all the animations and the campaign missions so far. I’ll definitely grab the other two games when they go on sale

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I bought ME3 and all the DLC the last time it went on sale for Origin. Still haven't played any of it. Figured they'd never come back to Steam.

I thought it was that game where you play as a cat in the walled city of Kowloon.

Either this company bought that team out, or someone just got their lunch eaten.

Edit: this is totally that game. The Twitter account for "HK Project" is now "Stray". Wonder when they went from Kowloon to a future robot city?

At some point they stopped posting on their dev blog or showing any work at all, and I'm betting Catalyst Labs pulled the SR license.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Did we ever get a final picture of the TV fully set up? I mean, if it’s not too intrusive @Big Classy?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    It's over his bed, so no pictures

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Any suggestions for 2 player local coop games that have a story and progression? That means no Gungeon like games please. But shooters or rpg or arpg would be cool.

• Options
    Things I tried last night from the itch.io bundle:

Overland - the art style of the game is good, the core mechanics not so much! I think if it was considerably clearer how my action points disappear from my characters and what rituals I must conduct to which gods in order to be able to move + act on the same turn, I'd be better with the game. I also don't like that you have to click on each survivor to double-check they have no un-used action points before ending your turn.

These are all things that I think would become less of a problem the more you play the game and start establishing the ritual of clicking all your survivors and learning how and why your action points get used up, but I found it super un-intuitive. There was a stage where I was supposed to barter with people and fuck knows how you actually do that, I couldn't figure it out. Again, once you do, probably stops being an issue. 2/5

Don't Move - this is one of those metagame games where you slowly unlock more game elements the more you play, but I got bored with it quickly. 1/5

Sky Rogue - This is actually really good. I used to play a shit-ton of Terminal Velocity as a kid so this is right up my alley. It seems at first like there's not much to this game, and then you die. And then you find out you unlocked all sorts of shit for your next playthrough. New planes, new weapons, all sorts of stuff, but you get to pick stuff out to be available on your next run. There are also upgrades you can buy during each run, but they only last until you die. Another thing I found out the hard way: if you heal up at the base, you lose all the money you've accrued during that level. So it's best to just kill the objective(s), and then run around blowing shit up until you feel like it's time to get back to base before you blow up.

The controls are also super simple. Though you can't do certain maneuvers without using flight sim controls, so YMMV. Personally I find such maneuvers super disorienting and didn't mind. 4/5

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Picked up Outward to try and fill my need for RPGs that let you wander around and poke around at things. This is definitely some Eurojank survival RPG stuff.

First I missed out on some items by going to sleep on a bedroll in the starter area at the advice of an NPC. That ends your time in the starter area.

So I restarted, did stuff around the starting city, went outside the city games for the first time, saw one of the white flightless birds I saw in pens in the city, and promptly got nearly killed by the flightless bird when it charged me.

Afterwards, I bumped into two bandits. I killed one and was "killed" by the other. In this case, I was rescued by a wandering huntress and came to back at home.

This is going to be an odd and interesting experience.

I'd definitely like to hear more about it. It's one I've been looking at since my wife and I are looking for a new game to coop together, and this looks..... mostly pretty good. She has a pretty low jank tolerance, which is the main thing that's stalling me.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Any suggestions for 2 player local coop games that have a story and progression? That means no Gungeon like games please. But shooters or rpg or arpg would be cool.

The Tales of Vesperia, Eternia, Graces F, Berseria, etc series.
    Secret of Mana
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Earth Defense Force 4.1 or Earth Defense Force 5.
    Diablo 3 (console)
    Child of Light
    Borderlands series games

• Options
    Massena wrote: »
    Picked up Outward to try and fill my need for RPGs that let you wander around and poke around at things. This is definitely some Eurojank survival RPG stuff.

First I missed out on some items by going to sleep on a bedroll in the starter area at the advice of an NPC. That ends your time in the starter area.

So I restarted, did stuff around the starting city, went outside the city games for the first time, saw one of the white flightless birds I saw in pens in the city, and promptly got nearly killed by the flightless bird when it charged me.

Afterwards, I bumped into two bandits. I killed one and was "killed" by the other. In this case, I was rescued by a wandering huntress and came to back at home.

This is going to be an odd and interesting experience.

I'd definitely like to hear more about it. It's one I've been looking at since my wife and I are looking for a new game to coop together, and this looks..... mostly pretty good. She has a pretty low jank tolerance, which is the main thing that's stalling me.

It's *very* janky.

It's also brutally unforgiving. You will die over and over and over. Well, not really die. You'll be knocked out and captured by slavers and have all your stuff taken away. Or you'll be knocked out and rescued by a hunter and dragged back to town. Or you'll be knocked out and rescued by a demon and brought back to his cave. Or.... etc. The "death" mechanic is one of the most interesting aspects of the game.

Of course, Steam has that two hour refund window. You could try it and refund it if you hate it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Dammit! Someone mentioned Sky rogue, now I gotta reinstall it and blow shit up in a tie fighter.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

These might be a bit on the fringe of what you are asking for:

Castle Crashers
    Guacamelee
    Lego Games

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Dammit! Someone mentioned Sky rogue, now I gotta reinstall it and blow shit up in a tie fighter.

Oh wow there's tons in the steam workshop for that game. Damn. Wonder if there's any way to pull that stuff outside of Steam?

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Did we ever get a final picture of the TV fully set up? I mean, if it’s not too intrusive @Big Classy?

I posted it in chat but I can post the temporary setup here. I'll be mounting it once I have someone to assist me. I swear I've just been watching everything on it even Green Lantern!

e2i0bdwrrrlh.jpg
    qdr0mcbm43fk.jpg

Big Classy on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

Oh wow there's tons in the steam workshop for that game. Damn. Wonder if there's any way to pull that stuff outside of Steam?

Go to the game's forums or the steam community page. Someone had to host it somewhere before it hit workshop access

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Mass Effect is as old now as Pac-Man was when the first Doom came out.

Doom turned 25 back in 2018.

Doom was only 2 years old in 2018

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Posting the food pics is offsides, Isy. Now my tummy's rumbling!

<3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
This discussion has been closed.