As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Borderlands] Wonderlands! I Pull Out My Robe and Wizard Gat.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I think it helps that they're smaller stories too, and that bad stuff is happening around you but not to you.

Like in the base game you are personally screwed if you don't win the day, whereas that's not what the DLCs are about.

sig.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Are you guys referring to when the NPCs are talking about things and you can proceed until they finish talking or the movies that show up from time to time? I just got to the Jakob's planet last night and don't really have an issue with the movies. Seems like it's one per planet which I'm alright with.

I don't really like the evil dude in the game, though. The girl is awesome and her VA kills it.

Having said that... The DLC takes you back to Knoxx!? Fuck me that DLC was the best DLC I've played yet.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Those are separate issues

Cinematics are things like the one where the twins steal Lillith powers

Forced conversations are stuff like " come back to Sanctuary killer I wanna talk for 30 minutes"

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Are you guys referring to when the NPCs are talking about things and you can proceed until they finish talking or the movies that show up from time to time? I just got to the Jakob's planet last night and don't really have an issue with the movies. Seems like it's one per planet which I'm alright with.

I don't really like the evil dude in the game, though. The girl is awesome and her VA kills it.

Having said that... The DLC takes you back to Knoxx!? Fuck me that DLC was the best DLC I've played yet.
    DLC doesn't take you back to Knoxx. Both are planets/locations that are not in the base game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    The DLCs are the best parts of BL1 (General Knoxx!) and BL2 (Dragon Keep!).

It's a hard call for me between Knoxx and Zombie Island as the best DLC for 1. For me Knoxx loses points for how much driving around you have to do. The fast travel mod is kind of sloppy in its execution but a vast improvement on the original.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I dunno the bl2 dlc bosses were fucking obnoxious, I think I only did them normally once. Every other time I was abusing some mechanic because fuck them , jackenstein and badassasaurus in particular.

• Options
    Halloween DLCs are my favorite in any game. I wish more games did it.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I dunno the bl2 dlc bosses were fucking obnoxious, I think I only did them normally once. Every other time I was abusing some mechanic because fuck them , jackenstein and badassasaurus in particular.

Yes, and it's a bad idea in a game all about guns to give anything bullet reflect. Which both of those bosses had. The bosses from Scarlet and Dragon's Keep weren't bad because they didn't have this.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Third expansion for BL3 announced.

As far as new content goes, Things seem to be moving super quickly, surprisingly so. How long has each DLC been so far?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Third expansion for BL3 announced.

As far as new content goes, Things seem to be moving super quickly, surprisingly so. How long has each DLC been so far?

Theyre only a few hours which after the main story slog is nice

• Options
    Its weird they haven't teaaed anything about the new takedown like at all

• Options
    Yeah alright I see what you guys mean. Fuck this whole Jakobs arc. This planet is way too open and not nearly populated enough. Setting the respawn time for the enemies to 3 minutes doesn't make it feel any more populated.

Though I might be in the minority here in that the vehicles are easily the worst parts of all of the Borderlands games and 90% I drive to a spot and then get out to shoot.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    There are some supposedly “dramatic” car bits later that felt like the most unnecessary filler ever. They could have cut it easily - the best areas were always tightly designed.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah alright I see what you guys mean. Fuck this whole Jakobs arc. This planet is way too open and not nearly populated enough. Setting the respawn time for the enemies to 3 minutes doesn't make it feel any more populated.

Though I might be in the minority here in that the vehicles are easily the worst parts of all of the Borderlands games and 90% I drive to a spot and then get out to shoot.

Vehicles in borderlands have always had the distinctive properties of having three times your health but being 10 times as fragile. The Maya section with the song is a good example of this issue in 3 but it’s always been the case in the franchise .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Aegeri wrote: »
    There are some supposedly “dramatic” car bits later that felt like the most unnecessary filler ever. They could have cut it easily - the best areas were always tightly designed.
    Yeah, anytime in Borderlands 3 where you have to drive [specific thing] to [specific place], it just sucks out loud.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options

And it always in that terrible fucking slow as balls truck.

• Options
    Cyclone fatwheel with the sonic booster 4 lyfe.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Well dlc weapons have been found.

The notable returning gun is the unkempt Harold.
    Its a Tourge again so it should have sticky properties as well

• Options
    Only thing I liked about dlc 2 was Gaige. I fucking love Gaige.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Sorce wrote: »
    Yeah, anytime in Borderlands 3 where you have to drive [specific thing] to [specific place], it just sucks out loud.

This applies for using something besides your legs to get between two points in almost every open world game. It's especially egregious in an RPG because all the things you've done to gear and skill up are put on standby in said vehicle. The only exceptions that come to mind are 1) GTA, Saints Row, and Sleeping Dogs because the world is interesting enough and driving good cars is fun enough to make the trip enjoyable 2) Red Dead Redemption because it also has a wonderful world but now you also can use your entire arsenal on horseback or in a wagon and 3) Mad Max because you are actively upgrading your car and a lot of work went into making car combat a blast. Being at a point where I was going to be in a vehicle a lot played a role in taking a break from playing BL3. It's just too tedious to stop playing my character and be in a boring vehicle that doesn't feel good to use.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    So I decided to jump into the endgame content.

Man, that Maliwan Takedown sure needs a New-U right before Wotan, eh?

sig.gif
  • Options
    My wife and I are still on this fuckin Jakobs planet.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Woo! Solo-ed the Maliwan Takedown!

Only had to completely abandon the melee build I was running and just spam Yellowcake and OPQ shots. For the bossfights, anyway; the rest worked as normal.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I finished the story and it's the only time that the bosses were trivial because of my gear. I had Zane with the digiclone tree maxed and I had picked up a Flakker. Just EXPLOSIONS! everywhere. Mr. Torgue would have been proud.
    I also have to admire the fakeout after fighting Troy. It was dumb as hell and detracted from the moment, but the fact that Gearbox though that was a good idea and committed to it is worth a round of applause. The story had a lot of bad parts, but that one was so actively bad and stupid that I have to respect it.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    fired this back up again, playing through the DLCs with my Zane. Bumped myself up to Mayhem 2 , have a lootsplosion modifier which is very nice and I seem to get a legendary after every fight thanks to some luck boosting gear. Was going to keep going on an alt and was secretly hoping that they fixed it so you can start an alt in True Vault Hunter mode. Nope. Ugh. That is my biggest gripe with this game, Id love to get one of the other characters or heck all 4 up to max level but I really dont want to grind them out through the base game.

Looks like most folks just play through the main story and skip all the side quests to level up alts or join a friends game to get power-leveled.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I don't even see the need for True Vault Hunter Mode at this point. You can hit level cap with the base game and DLC currently on Normal, and if you want level-appropriate gear, just turn on Mayhem Mode.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rundown of the patch coming on Thursday with the new dlc. Of note grenades,melee and pets scale with mayhem now
    https://youtu.be/4Yi_aqF_ymY

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Is it 1 or 2 more dlcs left to go?

Just waiting for them to be out so I can brute force through the rest of the main campaign and get to something more fun.

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    Is it 1 or 2 more dlcs left to go?

Just waiting for them to be out so I can brute force through the rest of the main campaign and get to something more fun.

1 more after thursday. They havent been shy about a second season pass though.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I feel conflicted about spending any more money on this game after Randy Pitchford fucked over the dev team on bonuses.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    I feel conflicted about spending any more money on this game after Randy Pitchford fucked over the dev team on bonuses.

For fucks sake, really? I hate that guy more and more.

• Options

That’s shit.

Was just about to praise how much Love, Guns and Tentacles has been compared with the base game.

• Options
    Also the ending of this game is completely random as shit.

Everything was utterly random. You could also have condensed like, 1/3 of the larger zones into more tightly interestingly designed ones easily.

But again, that DLC redeemed itself and Borderlands 3 to me very quickly. Absolutely love the whole concept.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

If it meant that the new content would come out in playable order, then yes. 'Firsties' don't really matter if it's too bugged to work.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

If it meant that the new content would come out in playable order, then yes. 'Firsties' don't really matter if it's too bugged to work.

I think he honestly expected people to say no but all it did was reveal they dont playtest anything

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I actually think they balanced the mob health ridiculously high on purpose because some streamers were complaining the game was too easy, without proper endgame challenges. Then they had to retract after streamers complained bullet sponges are not fun. It baffles me that gearbox doesn't understand it's own game or player base better.

What bothers me most is the lack of consistency in the process. They nerf the kaoson and the sandhawk but leave the monarch alone. Now everyone uses only the monarch. Either nerf all the op guns at the same time or leave them all alone. These nerfs were particularly galling as they came on the same day they released a very high difficulty takedown. Also if they want the takedowns to be true endgame challenges then scale up the maliwan takedown too. You could breeze through the maliwan takedown in 5 minutes whereas you couldn't get past the first mobs in the guardian takedown without running out of all ammo.

I can't wait to try out the new changes to mayhem 2.0 in today's patch, but the question has to be why weren't all these changes in the first iteration of mayhem 2.0? What makes you think that scaling up enemy health 12,500% and only giving players higher damage weapons is a good system? It invalidated all non-m6+ weapon builds for mayhem 10 difficulty in one swift stroke.

I hope that Randy takes the message on board not to release these changes without proper testing in the future. The last time I had fun in this game was testing various new builds in old mayhem 4 before the new system was introduced.

• Options
    The biggest problem I have with mayhem 2.0 is the op-level like system of weapon (and after today's patch grenades) scaling. It makes all difficulty levels below mayhem 10 pointless because you will only receive lower damage versions of weapons dropped from enemies and farms.

So when they complain that they didn't intend everyone to jump straight to m10, this shows a lack of understanding their own game and player base. I certainly don't want to play on lower than m10 because farming for better gear is one of the main reasons for playing.

• Options
    Yeah having mayhem 10 stuff be better pretty much guarantees people only play on that difficulty. To exacerbate the problem most guns feel like trash on that setting . It’s a problem for sure.

• Options
    Oh great. The Harold returns. They must be desperate.