As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I read your sticker. I'm sorry, I'll turn myself in to the proper authorities.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Success? I think?

4Rf9igM.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Man I have really been doing myself a disservice not catching up once I felt better earlier in the Spring

I'm gonna do some sourdough crust and ice cream though!!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I bought some sweetened condensed milk and sine heavy cream.

Let's do this.

Tomorrow. Once I've cleaned the kitchen.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Okay Cello hear me out

Pizza ice cream

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Counterpoint: ice cream pizza.
    1BQT.gif

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Who was it that made sweet corn and blueberry ice cream and said it was the shit? Was it you, Sandra?

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    wsWlEHx.jpg

So I decided to try coffee ice cream because coffee is one of the few ingredients that I had on hand. As you can see by all the little flecks, I wasn’t able to completely strain all of the coffee grinds out of the mixture. It’s a bit gritty, but not unpleasant. However, each miniature bowl is like a caffeine shot directly into my veins. I’m into it.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Oooooh I definitely did think about doing a coffee flavour, but though it was even moreso a bad idea than my usual ice cream consumption as I usually eat it in the middle of the night :lol:

Looks fantastic!

Wyborn wanted chocolate, so there's a dark chocolate mixture chilling in the fridge right now, to be mixed tomorrow morning. I did prior to this week also do a strawberry ice cream and a lemon sorbet, but I'll post pics of everything altogether. :P

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Just wanna drop in to say, in case anyone is thinking about ice cream, that pistachio is the way to go. You know the story of how King Arthur pulled a pint of ice cream from a stone? Yeah, little known fact, that was a pint of pistachio.

(I may or may not do pistachio when I get around to doing ice cream)

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Okay Cello hear me out

Pizza ice cream

My sisters first husband used to make a balsamic and basil ice cream which was phenomenal. Add some marscapone and caramelised prosciutto ...

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    npdBW1k.jpg

A pan of cream cheese semifreddo going in the freezer tonight. Right now it tastes like a tangy whipped cream, which I guess it basically is, but with custard. Step 1 of ice cream* sandwiches complete.

Step 2 is carrot cake, which will be the morning project.

——————

This is the first time I’ve gone and made my own custard for a recipe. Was very happy that I didn’t end up scrambling any eggs in the process. I may actually be learning something from watching the Great British Bake Off.

Maybe I’ll make a custard tart some day.

*technically, semifreddo is a bit different, and it isn’t churned. But it is a frozen desert made from cream and custard, so I think this will do.

Enlong on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Boy I am not skilled enough to try Pizza Ice Cream, I have only made ice cream once before!

...maybe on Try 3....

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Who was it that made sweet corn and blueberry ice cream and said it was the shit? Was it you, Sandra?

It's so good your head will EXPLODE

My extremely well-mannered French friend liked it so much when I brought it to he and his partner's home that he conveniently "forgot" to ask if I wanted to bring the rest back after the dinner and the conveniently "forgot" to share any with his husband at all, until it was gone.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Carrot cake in the freezer now. Just gotta wait like 6 hours until I can assemble.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

It's so good your head will EXPLODE

My extremely well-mannered French friend liked it so much when I brought it to he and his partner's home that he conveniently "forgot" to ask if I wanted to bring the rest back after the dinner and the conveniently "forgot" to share any with his husband at all, until it was gone.

I think I might need my head for other things, but on the other hand, having it EXPLODE also sounds pretty cool. Can you share the recipe?

• Options
    Finished!

zMeZVi3.jpg

Carrot cake cream-cheese ice cream sandwiches!

It turned out really well. The cake and the semifreddo are soft enough to bite through even after a stint in the freezer. The cake is nice and spiced, and the semifreddo is smooth and tangy. Wonderful recipe, that.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    No churn ice cream is in the freezer! Just plain vanilla this time. But I used the good Tahitian vanilla paste.

• Options
    Oh my goodness Enlong one look and I'm regretting not making an ice cream sandwich

Those sandwiches are so reasonably portioned (though... I would definitely have a few, kinda defeating the point...?)

signature.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I first cut the tray into 8 sandwiches, which made them about the width of a standard ice cream sandwich. But these are such tall bois that going for 16 made sense.

• Options
    i'm trying to resist the urge to make choc chip cookies to turn the ice cream into sandwiches.

Although, it's far too cold here right now for that.

Plus, I'm out of eggs

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Horchata ice cream step one is in the fridge: lightly toasted some almonds, cinnamon and jasmine rice blended into about a cup and a half of water. Tomorrow plan to add that to my typical dairy-free base of coconut cream, coconut milk, sugar and a splash of booze (rum this time) and churn it up and see how it comes out. I'm hoping that the starch from the rice will be enough to offset the additional liquid added, though I'm worried it may not be enough. Maybe I should toss in an egg yolk or two?

• Options
    No Churn Vanilla Ice cream, using the first link in the OP.

it's very soft. but will probably harden up a bit more over night. It's had about 8 hours in the freezer. The texture is soft, but there's a bit of a graininess? or something.

It definitely needs the acidity from the fresh(ish) raspberries that were added. It melts FAST.

But it's definitely worth exploring more in the future.

• Options
    Welp, thought we had a can of coconut cream in the pantry but alas there is not. Added a couple to the grocery pickup this afternoon but that means ice cream won't be ready for dessert after dinner but instead as a late night snack.

• Options
    Sorry for the double post but I feel 8 hours is enough time to warrant a new post. Non-dairy horchata ice cream has arrived!
    NyKdCSXh.png
    I shouldn't have been worried about the base being too thin as the rice water thickened up substantially when I was heating everything on the stove to incorporate the sugar. As a result it has the kind of "chew" you'd get from high end gelato or Lebanese ice cream. Not a bad thing but definitely different than standard custard-based ice cream. For next time (referenced in notes below) I'll try not to cook the rice mixture too long as it really thickened the base a lot and made it too thick to use my finest mesh strainer so I ended up with a bit of grittiness from the rice, almonds and cinnamon in the final product.

The non-dairy base is from Serious Eats and what I use whenever I'm making frozen desserts for Mrs Mittens since she's lactose intolerant.

Ingredients and directions:
    1/2 cup rice
    1/2 cup almonds
    3 cinnamon sticks
    1 1/2 cup water
    1 can coconut milk
    1 can coconut cream
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup light corn syrup
    1 tbsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp Myers's dark rum

toast the first 3 ingredients in a heavy dry skillet for ~5 minutes on med, stirring/shaking frequently to prevent scorching.
    pour into a blender with 1 1/2 cup water and blend for several minutes until very smooth. refrigerate overnight.
    Add coconut milk, coconut cream and both sugars to a medium saucepan, heat on med-high stirring constantly until simmering then remove from heat.
    pour horchata mixture through a fine mesh strainer into the still hot saucepan and stir, letting residual heat thicken rice starch. Discard rice/almond mixture (or use it to make rice pudding!)
    Strain mixture again into a clean container to minimize any clumpy bits or remaining bits of almond and rice. refrigerate until very cold but not frozen. I left it in the freezer for an hour or two while cooking dinner and it was just starting to ice over a little bit on top.
    Churn in ice cream maker for 20-25 minutes, scoop into cold containers (I reuse Talenti containers because they are 1 pint and sturdy plastic with screwtop lids) and place in freezer for at least 2 hrs.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    yire28sldxza.png
    qcbn4iscvsmz.png
    b5abjn6z2avl.png

Dark chocolate (Callebaut) and vanilla bean, custard style
    Strawberry with bourbon-soaked strawberry chunks, Philadelphia style
    and some lemon sorbet for good measure

I really loved the lemon sorbet and the strawberry ice cream but man the egg yolks really made the dark chocolate one super smooth and creamy. It's not that much of a pain to make when you have an instant read thermometer

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    iv'e got some cannelini beans in the slowcooker right now. some smoky beef sausage, carrots, onions, and a red chili as well. we'll see what this ends up being!

• Options
    I was already talking about making pesto this week, so this is very convinent!

I like to ART
  • Options
    So six hours on high, not long enough for the beans. Nine hours was closer to what it was expecting. But the dish came out pretty good still.

Although I really really need to invest in some more simethicone if I'm going to be eating more beans. The discomfort is real.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I made strawberry ice cream from the ny times (custardy) recipe, and got to use the ice cream maker I got last month for my birthday!

49982463103_83656d0337.jpg

49982463098_ebe5c6334a.jpg

the ice cream came out creamy and tasted like fresh strawberries

I think it could be improved with some better berries (supermarket strawberries aren't likely to cut it, I think), and maybe if I make strawberry again I'll try to incorporate some larger chunks like silverwind had above

the kids really liked it though, daughter requested chocolate next, and my son was crestfallen when I told him I probably wouldn't make another batch until next weekend

he was negotiating like, could you start things on a morning break from work and then come back at lunch time to ...

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    Great job, everyone! Pesto recipes are up.

Meatloaf next week, and after that sushi rolls. I dunno the practicality of sourcing fresh fish (I'm in a large city but realize not everyone is) but I'll include a range of non-fish options)

signature.png
  • Options
    There's a restaurant near me that makes a kickass sweet potato tempura roll; the potato is fried, not the entire roll.

Smoked salmon is another (very popular) non-raw option.

And of course there's always vegetable options.

• Options
    Oh man, pesto week, huh? I guess this is a perfect opportunity to make some more focaccia.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I was pretty amazed at how colorful this turned out:

WaA2XHe.jpg

More photos: https://imgur.com/a/dQTsA4T

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    bN16uAdh.jpg

Chocolate chip and peanut butter ice cream!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I know we’re supposed to be doing pesto this week but I had leftover cream that I needed to use before it went sour and strawberries were on sale.

cNPE8AZ.jpg

I used this recipe which has no eggs, no gentle cooking, and no chilling in the fridge for hours. It’s literally mix the ingredients and put it into the ice cream machine. A custard-based ice cream is definitely better, but this ice cream is still very delicious and it was so easy.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Tasty! I just made a roasted cherry ice cream and will be starting on a French vanilla in a moment

But in the meanwhile, the theme of the week

e1h8z3a8bk8n.png

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    I have not enough basil.

I have plenty of parsley at the moment. but most of the recipes that i've found have walnuts and i'm allergic.

• Options
    I've always used pine nuts! Though I suspect you could replace any sort of nuts, or even something wild like feta or a milder creamy cheese

signature.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You can use any nut and any green herb to create pesto, really. Pine nuts are expensive so I usually use cashews, but hazelnuts are also good. If you don't mind a slightly sweeter flavour you could also go for pecans. The sky's the limit, really (well, sky and or available nut varietals).