As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D 5E: On Wings of Midnight

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
edited September 2020 in Critical Failures
y2fo1hfeyhec.jpeg

Welcome to a light-hearted New Zellatia play-test adventure: Helping Auntie Fatta!

Expectations:
We’ll be playing Dungeons & Dragons 5E, with few rolls outside combat. When the dice are involved it has to truly mean something either way. If your character is clearly capable of something (a rogue with +3 Acrobatics climbing a 10 foot wall) they can just do it.

The purpose of this setting’s creation is to be anti-grim. There is no big bad (though there is still regular trouble), the average person is decent, and you’ll not last long if you openly bring violence to the city. Now is a time not just for heroes, but of people willing to bring about change and heal the wounds of the past.

Fighting happens! With monsters! Combat encounters will be swift and, hopefully, full of interesting interactions and elements that will allow you to win big if you use your head.

With my help you’ll make a 1st level New Zellatian character. I’ll need you to choose a race from the setting, and a district of the city you come from (no one comes from outside New Zellatia). You can be any class you desire, and it’s okay if two of you choose the same one. As of yet the background section of the setting goes unfinished, so give me a rough idea what you’re after and I’ll simply make you one, or together we’ll alter an existing one.

We will use Standard Array for ability scores.

Metal is rare! Very rare! So describe your equipment as obsidian, treated wood, bone, shell etc. Use the regular rules for gear though, it’s just for fun.

A friendly atmosphere and room to explore social aspects. I shouldn’t have to say this but I blatantly do: It’s cool if you’re a gal, a guy, nonbinary, gay, of any culture, like marmite, are trans, listen to techno, don’t listen to techno, and if you have a phobia or particular situation you don’t want to see do tell me. I can’t see there being much issue with this one… unless you don’t like crustaceans…

What is New Zellatia? Here are the hard facts of the setting.
• The Vilelord was slain by the Champion of Ryllegrand, and the dust is still settling. The Vilelord reigned for over 200 years unopposed before a final successful rebellion spearheaded by a ragtag band of heroes put him in the ground. The mark of that time is felt in the very blood of the people.

• Thirty years have come and gone since the final battle. New Zellatia, a city founded by and welcoming to all peoples from across the shattered lands, is still being built, expanded, improved upon as daring prospectors reclaim the wilds around it.

• There are no maps, not anymore. There used to be countries once, roads between towns, monuments and sacred ground—but that was another age, and what remains has been shrouded by the hand of a tyrant long dead.

• A unique and hopeful generation. The races of regular D&D don’t exist in New Zellatia, and instead the world is populated by plucky Tunglani, inquisitive Primodem and many more besides. No matter their race, in their hearts they know that evil can be overcome by courage, by unity, by virtuous endeavour!
Secrets lay buried in the earth. During the iron fisted rule of the Vilelord knowledge was crushed, the nature of their terrible weapons a very secret to the slaves that wielded them.

• Before the Age of Oppression, there was another period, a nameless time where the people had nations stretching to the horizon. Remnants from before, towering tarnish metal artefacts, the flicker of a light, an intricate magical device, are rarities worth rediscovering.

• Heroes are no longer mere warriors. This is the Era of Liberty, an age where common folk seek education, where the craftsman, the builder, and the healer are looked to for guidance alongside the scholar. A loose knit community within New Zellatia known as the Relighters have sprung up, a guild that marries a will to see civilisation brought to all with those strong enough to protect it. The villains of this era are as often famine, ignorance and isolation as they might be a monster. By default Player Characters in New Zellatia are considered aligned to the Relighter Movement, but this need not be the case in your campaign.

• The city is the place to be! Built at the sight of the final battle overlooking the topple tower of the Vilelord, together the people made a fortress into a home. It hugs a tropical coastline and clambers up a table-topped mountain overlooking a forest of giant flowers. Invention and discovery litter the city, with one street lit with enchanted lanterns and another a luminous bedded open air lagoon fit for the local Calipdis. It bustles with a rebellious air fitting for its history.

• The world was broken. Vast tectonic shifts have scarred the land with sheer cliffs and sudden chasms. To defend herself, nature itself has grown humongous and aggressive to intrusion. Old forgotten creatures, experiments and weapons of the Vilelord linger maliciously and discontent. Tribes roam the distant lands still fearing the shadow of a bygone era.

6rs391hm7ftt.jpeg
xmif49yaui53.jpeg
qi58ayisntym.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on

• Options
    edited June 2020
    @Darmak
    @Tynnan
    @The Zombie Penguin
    @Calica

5eiteoaccmm7.jpeg
    vamz8k9nx8tl.jpeg
    k7boessphc9p.jpeg

This week the thread will be for sign-up, planning and general chatter.

I’ll see how busy work is next week, but the maximum time until we start will be next Friday (1600GMT, but you’ll not need to turn to post, my PbP games are all about posting when you can).

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    This setting is a work in progress, but I have got quite a bit down that I’m proud of:

Races
    The Setting
    Rather than read it all back to back if you think you need a bit of information just ask.

zqpns78diood.jpeg
    gj29wjssmw3x.jpeg
    6romt7zx3ax5.jpeg
    rfa07ynp1lir.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    w44lx7t70eb4.jpeg
    h3svicxzdxly.jpeg
    cdlqd8oxisp2.jpeg
    lxzkeqcjmo07.jpeg
    efq15pj5didx.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Awwwyiss.

I'm planning to play Gear, Primoden Artificer from Dogabag. She likes to get involved exploring and fixing things, but isn't exactly full of social graces.

Are we using point buy standard array, our what for our characters?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Nice! Thanks for signing up.

Standard Array please! I’ve added that to the first post.

As a person from Dogabag you’ll have a breadth of friends and family across that district, though obviously a Primodem isn’t anyone’s blood relative.

Having awakened at the very end of the Vilelord’s reign or any time after, Gear can be no more than 30, and might only be 18 or so.

There is a faction in the city called the Science Brigade who are literally action scientists. Gear was probably woken up by them, or another Primodem (if they didn’t just turn on one day unexpectedly just outside the city or on the coast).

A lot of tinkering and alchemy goes on in Smokestop (where the Science Brigade HQ is) so the fact she chooses to live in the rough and tumble end of New Zellatia to pursue her tinkering says a lot about her.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm wanting to play Baber, the calipdis fighter from Seafoam. I was thinking they would have grown up fishing, but they were also strong and helpful and would lend a hand to their community doing whatever was needed. Cooking, carrying goods, building new homes, watching over children while parents ran an errand, whatever was asked. Their main weapons would be a trident made from driftwood with sharpened sea shells for the tines, and also a net. They're mostly for fishin', but sometimes you gotta use what's at hand to do what needs doin', ya know?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Also, all the artwork you've used is amazing and really helps evoke the feel of the setting, which I absolutely love. Vibrant and colorful and fantastic. A+, would read again :bzz:

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Welcome! Good to have you, every party needs a bioluminescent manta ray warrior!

Since you’ll be from there it’s a fine time say the adventure opens in Seafoam. You’ll know a few folks in the adventure already, at least by face if not name.

Also if I link this right, here’s my pinterest board for the setting:

https://pin.it/4MkibPh

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Yeah, i suspect she's very much of the practical end of Helping People, hence the association with Dogabog. She may also just enjoy the speed of life and camaraderie in Dogabog.

Using standard array, together with the Primodem mods gives her a stat line of 10 Str, 14 dex (12+2), 14 con, 16 int (15+1), 13 wis, and 8 cha. Storm-Hearted. Starting with 10 hp (Poor, poor squishy 1st level characters). Her Proficiency so far are: Thief's Tools, Tinker's Tools and Cartographers Tools. for skills, she has Medicine and Investigation.

Obviously, this isn't including Background skills, but i figure we'll solve that as we crack background. I like rolling skills, so i'm likely going to pick up two more. Which probably means no herbalsim kit for me, so no making health potions =( (Unless this can be justified by her having the medicine skill?). I'd be likely to pick up Perception (always useful, seems it would fit with things), and i'm not sure what my last skill would be. Maybe acrobatics, to go with her exploratory nature? Or another int skill (arcana - history seems like an ooc for her).

Fair warning, i will Investigate All The Things.

I'd probably portray her as on the younger end - so 19, 20. She's young, she she's quite smart, pretty tough, pretty agile, but she's not strong and she's terrible at social interaction. I lean towards the idea of her having just turned up out of the blue, and favoring her found family in Dogabog. Also, from your own description, there's a ton of places to explore in dogabog - i like the idea she managed to get into these crevices and hook up running water or similar fixes. (Often to the surprise of the people in the house who just got running water, who had no idea they even had taps. But that's what fixing things is about. Things are better!)

• Options
    edited June 2020
    So using standard array and racial stuff gives Baber:
    STR 15
    DEX 13
    CON 16
    INT 10
    WIS 8
    CHA 13

They're not particularly insightful or introspective. Content to let others do the heavy lifting when it comes to coming up with creative solutions and ideas, they are very good at implementing those solutions once found. They're quiet and soft-spoken, but love to talk and make friends. They usually wear a literal fishnet shirt decorated with bits of seaglass and painted wood charms, since it's lightweight and they can clip gear to it while swimming and/or fishing, but over it when not in the water they tend to wear long, loose vests of a pale mint green that compliments their blue skin. For when they must gear up for danger, they have a suit of armor made from coral and shells woven tightly together (functionally chainmail), and they wield a long, thin trident made from driftwood and sharpened shells and also carry a net hanging from their belt to capture or trip up opponents. They also carry a pair of javelins (or handaxes like the PHB says, but I figured since javelins do the same amount of damage with only a longer range it shouldn't be a problem? Plus I'm just a fan of long, pointy weapons lol. But if you want me to just use axes for starting gear I'm cool with that too). They've got 13 hp and use a defensive fighting style, and they're skilled at athletics and intimidation because why fight if you can just run away or cause the other person to back down?

I'm with Zombie Penguin with regards to background stuffs, we can all figure that out later together!

edits:
    Background: Bayfolk
    You might say that all of New Zellatia is by the sea, and that’s not wrong, but the people who wake up each day to the view of the blue are different to the rest of the population. You made your way by fishing, picking clamps and tricking crabs out of their rocky dwellings, and you might have even taken to sail to hunt bigger sea game with your fellow bayfolk from time to time.

Skill Proficiencies
    Nature, Survival

Equipment
    A set of common clothes, fishing tackle, a lamp, flask of oil, dagger, fishing spear, and one musical instrument.

Feature: Fresh Sea Air
    Come rain or shine you adore the outdoors. You ignore the effects of any harsh weather for the first day you journey through it, though if it persists you begin to suffer from it like everyone else.

Old Routes
    Roll 1d6, or choose one of the following:
    1. Stingray Bay to Ladder Island.
    2. Long Pier to Arrowhead Island.
    3. Sleeping Sands to Hum Rock.
    4. Quiet Cove to Medley Point.
    5. Illi Beach to Candle Crest.
    6. The Torch to Ladder Island.
    You begin with knowledge of a secret navigational route at sea. The party doesn’t need to roll on a journey to your known destination, and will beat an equally equipped vessel to it from the same starting point.

Rolled a 1, so Stingray Bay to Ladder Island it is! And their musical instrument is an ocarina. Cheap and lots of fun to play (I have several IRL)
    Baber begins with the following item in addition to their starting equipment:
    Fragment of a Living Throne
    Rare magic item.
    Weight: 0.5
    Once the commanders of the Vilelord rode silvery constructs that could be summoned from black diamonds. This shattered fragment is a sliver of arcane substance that slowly, repetitively tries to take shape. Was this given to you or found?

The fragment reacts wildly to the presence of metals, pointing to it like a compass. If it is allowed to touch the metal it will absorb it, and grow a fraction.

Found for sure, taking a swim one day while on break from fishing. Down deep in the ocean floor Baber felt something in the muck and they pried it loose. What a neat little trinket!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I’m happy with javelins. Much more fitting!

With just the first two characters I can already feel a lot of potential synergy!

Please add these to your character sheets.

Gear begins with the following item in addition to their starting equipment:
    Bracelets of Good Fortune
    Common magic item, requires attunement.
    Weight: —
    Palm wood bead leg bracelets. Each bead is engraved with a name important to you. Who made it for you?

When you take a short or long rest, you regain +1 HP. During the first attack made against you after a short or long rest your AC is temporarily increased by +1.

Baber begins with the following item in addition to their starting equipment:
    Fragment of a Living Throne
    Rare magic item.
    Weight: 0.5
    Once the commanders of the Vilelord rode silvery constructs that could be summoned from black diamonds. This shattered fragment is a sliver of arcane substance that slowly, repetitively tries to take shape. Was this given to you or found?

The fragment reacts wildly to the presence of metals, pointing to it like a compass. If it is allowed to touch the metal it will absorb it, and grow a fraction.

• Options
    For Gear, her gear (This is not confusing at all to say) is going to be..letsee..

She wears scalemail for her armor. Let's be fun and say it's made out of genuine scales, taken from some beast or another (@Endless_Serpents, suggestions?) - maybe a gift she got in Dogabog in return for something she helped fix? Helped a elderly solider's arthiticey leg, or a festering wound or something, got given a heirloom from the war as thanks. They rustle loudly as she moves (Scale mail gives disadvantage on stealth, Gear is not a subtle lass and doesnt care). Her simple weapons are a quarterstaff and a handaxe - the quaterstaff is just well polished and lookef after drift wood, the handaxe has an obsidan blade and isn't otherwise anything special. I imagine she uses both more as tools than as weapons - poke stuff, carve stuff, you get the idea.

Her goto fighting option is going to be the Fire Bolt cantrip (if we get that far, i plan for her to take up the Artillerist subclass and start making wands). Since she's got the cartographer's kit, i'd like to figure out someway for her to start off with a spyglass, and justify that she uses that as the spellcasting focus to direct lasers through it. Because that seems asethically cool (Though, technically speaking a spyglass is not part of the cartographers kit. Could i maybe give up my starting crossbow and bolts in return for this?). That or she's combined bits of the tinker's kit and thieves kit to make something on her arm that lets her fire firebolts - maybe it looks like it's wired into her internals? That's probably cooler. Let's do that.

So she's got a crossbow as well, but i imagine she doesn't really use it much. Maybe to hunt game or something? Easy enough to argue she got taught by dogabog family, but you know: she can literally shoot fire from her hand.

Her other starting cantrip obviously has to be mending - there's no other choice that makes sense for her in character.

Artificers apperntly just get to prepare spells on their list each day, so i odnt have to worry about that right now - though i imagine Faerie Fire will be a regular choice.

Sweet, i will add that to my list.

(Also i've got the vision of Gear riding around on Baber's head, much to Baber's possible annoyance now)

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'll be playing Hado, an Ishtari druid. Hado is a farmhand from Petalway. He grew up working with draft animals stabled there, doing farrier's duties and maintaining the tack and harnesses.

Hado wears a leather smock (Light armor, leather) and carries a quarterstaff. The staff is mostly a walking stick, but it also serves as a threshing tool or as a defensive weapon if encroaching wildlife threatens the working beasts. When out in the fields, Hado also brings a simple shield but leaves it on the cart unless there's trouble afoot. When the need arises, he'll use his innate Ishtari empathic abilities to calm a panicked animal. This sometimes transfers that panic onto him, and if this happens he will release that emotion into a piece of artwork. He often destroys these after he's finished making them, but a few of those creations have stuck around. He learned the cantrip, Create Bonfire, while working the spring burns to help clear farmland for planting. Hado is as mirthful as any Ishtari, but sometimes the press of a raucous gathering gets to him and he will retreat to the purposeful calm of his stables. Although based in Petalway, his craft sends him throughout the city on errands - especially after the harvest, to deliver flour or bread to buyers and to do odd jobs in the offseason. Long days in the fields have given Hado a build to match, and there's always goods that need to be carted around.

Character sheet stuff:
    Stats: Standard array [15; 14; 13; 12; 10; 8] plus Ishtari bonuses [+2 WIS; +1 STR] gives:
    • STR 14
    • DEX 12
    • CON 15
    • INT 8
    • WIS 16
    • CHA 10

Proficiencies: Herbalism Kit, Animal Handling, Perception. Additionally has proficiency in Cook's Utensils (I see him as a baker) and Painter's Supplies from being Ishtari.
    No background chosen yet
    Languages: Ishtari, New Tongue
    Cantrips: Create Bonfire, Guidance
    1st level spells: as prepared.
    Equipment: Leather armor, quarterstaff, shield. Since druids can use a wooden staff as a druidic focus, would you accept the quarterstaff as the focus? If you'd prefer the focus be separate, he'll use a sprig of dried sagebrush instead.

Should Hado already have a family name? I see him as being in his mid-twenties.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    Things we can do with staffs vs crustaceans, as suggested by Gear:

Stick'em in holes and use em to drag the crabbies out.

THEN WE FEAST LIKE KINGS

(Gear will leave the party members who actually have muscles to do this)

• Options
    Things we can do with staffs vs crustaceans, as suggested by Gear:

Stick'em in holes and use em to drag the crabbies out.

THEN WE FEAST LIKE KINGS

(Gear will leave the party members who actually have muscles to do this)

That's also why Baber has javelins/a trident! Sometimes they just get down there and stick their arm in the hole and pull out whatever is in there, whether it's crabs or eels or fish or whatever. The bites, scratches, stings, and pinches are worth it when you get to eat the beasties! 😁

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    So they're basically doing https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noodling.

Well hopefully our crew don't manage to burn the town down or anything

• Options
    So they're basically doing https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noodling.

Well hopefully our crew don't manage to burn the town down or anything

Auntie Fatta is gonna have to hold on while we sidetrack to do some hammerhead sharkdog noodling and Baber gets a cute pet that's the goodest boi ever

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    @The Zombie Penguin
    For your armour I would consider:
    - Giant iguana scales. They’re not uncommon (for a monster), and while they prefer fish to people I could easily see someone hunting one without knowing this, or it was a particular case of a giant iguana that ate someone they knew. The rebel settlers shot first, as it were, having battled so many monsters to get that far.
    - Giant carp scales. Much more likely to devour someone (and indeed, anything), giant carp are a menace to all. Pretty dumb though and a relatively easy kill for a band of hunters. Tasty too!
    - Armadillo hide. There are very large varieties around New Zellatia, but such an armour is probably made from a few.

@Tynnan
    Hado is fine for this adventure! I still need to make all that a bit easier for players to use. We’ll say you’re just very easygoing with the whole name thing.

Please add this to your character sheet.

Hado begins with the following item in addition to their starting equipment:
    Torbon Token
    Mundane item, 1 charge.
    Buying a mount is beyond most folk, so luckily you earned the right to rent out a torbon and cart from one of the ranches just beyond the city walls for one journey, should you see fit to call upon them. Describe the patron who’s favour you’ve earned. They are an ally to you.

The quarterstaff is okay by me, but I quite like the dried sagebrush idea instead.

Thanks again to you all for joining in. Turns out I might be on land until Thursday so we’ll see how much ground we can cover in this stage, and we may start late Thursday / Friday morning. Don’t fret about when to post once we start, it’s Play by Post for that very reason, just post when you can.

• Options
    A torbon is just a giant tortoise that’s been bred as a beast of burden. Horses are thought to be extinct, so lots of other animals take their place. Torbons are slow but steady, and much less flighty than a horse.

zln6yv7ab099.jpeg

In other news I’ll have a decent list of backgrounds ready later today! Hopefully there will be one that you like, but drop me a line later if you’ve got your own idea.

• Options
    Oh man, now i'm conflicted on what to say for the armor.

I'm actually tempted to describe her scalemail as made out of a mix of all three - It's nothing special (it's just scalemail), but it's made out of offcuts, stuff she earned doing small repair tasks, Some task or antoehr she did got them forged into armor for her. Seems like a solid/distinctive thing, and like it'd fit with the dogabog asethic/family

As to backgrounds, i'm not too worried: RAW is you can adjust proficinies however you like for backgrounds, so it's mostly about picking something thematic and with a neat, flavourful background ability.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Yeah it’s no biggie. I’m liking this play-test already for forcing me to look at what I haven’t got yet, it’s really good for me.

Two so far:

Beloved Kin
    You were raised communally by a group of neighbours alongside their own children. You have several siblings and numerous cousins, plus a handful of unrelated aunts and uncles, adopted family and close friends. Having left since to make your own way in the world you still define yourself by your family ties.

Skill Proficiencies
    Insight, Persuasion

Equipment
    A set of common clothes, a set of fine clothes, homemade jewellery worth 5 gp, a lucky trinket, a full waterskin, 3 days worth of rations, and a pouch containing 5 gp.

Feature: Always There for You
    You can always find a place to hide, rest, or recuperate amongst your family, unless you have openly betrayed their trust. They will shield you from your enemies or anyone else searching for you, though only some will dare risk their lives for you.

Family’s Specialty
    1. Law enforcement.
    2. Hierarchy governing.
    3. Building and provisions.
    4. Grand entertainment.
    5. Wares and rarities.
    6. Faction adherents.*
    Your family may be disapproving of your actions if they run counter to your family’s specialty. They will try to turn you back to a more favourable course, but they’ll never knowingly harm you.

*Choose a faction from Chapter X.

Scavenger
    Your youth was spent tactfully acquiring antiques and relics of the old world (or snatching and running when things got rough) from the crumbling keeps and fallen remnants of the Augur. Never straying too far, nevertheless you’ve been further than the average New Zellatian, and now firmly have a heart for delving.

Skill Proficiencies
    Investigation, Survival

Equipment
    A set of traveler’s clothes, a set of dark hooded attire, a torch, piece of chalk, tinderbox, tough leather sack, and a pouch containing 10 gp.

Feature: Antiquarian Contacts
    You are on good terms with those who deal in artefacts, legitimately or otherwise. You know how to get messages across to their network, and have enough clout to keep any one of them out of the loop on a score you’ve made. You can use younger scavengers as messengers and through them get in touch with your peers away from prying eyes.

Next Score
    1. Terrible weapon.
    2. Luxurious wealth.
    3. Magical relic.
    4. Mysterious construct.
    5. Hidden knowledge.
    6. Lost beauty.
    You’ve got this score all to yourself; no one else has the slightest lead on it. You begin play with a rough idea of the area you’ll find your score, and a riddle or clue to its exact location. You know it’ll be tough to get, so you’ve kept it under your hat for now.

Oh, and for the purpose of the play-test money is still 1cp, 30sp, 100gp etc., but it’s not metal. I have ideas, but for now they’re just stone bits.

5znumfrovd1e.jpeg

@The Zombie Penguin
    Yeah adding to your armour over time is very cool thematically! Awakening fresh with no memory of your makers, you’re literally stitching together new memories as you help people and fix stuff.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    @Endless_Serpents If it's something cool enough that you want to change up my starting item/artifacty thing, please be my guest. It's your game after all!

Also, while i reserve the right to tweak this later if you post something i like even more, Beloved Kin seems like a great choice for Gear. Rolling a d6 tells me her family's specialty was building and provisions - fitting for a Primodem who liked to dig into all the werid nooks and crannies of Dogabog.

Though, i will drop Insight, given Insight is a more social sort of thing, and Gear is supposed to be notoriously terrible at such. (If she comes across as being on spectrum, that is entirely cool.. and laso because i'm on the autism spectrum. Heyo!)

Gonna instead give her Arcana - her nature as some sort of artifical creature thing gives her insight into the mystic, which seems appros. also, Artificer.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Nah, no need to change your starting item.

Go for it! Every big family has a unique person in it, and besides, Primodem are especially different cases. Arcana it is.

More backgrounds:

Street Performer
    Knife throwers, fire eaters, belly dancers, acrobats, living statues, sword swallowers—you are one of the daring and extraordinarily extravagant performers that fill the evening streets of New Zellatia. You’ve earned your keep doing not a dull task or civil necessity, but what you love—no matter the toll on your body. You made your bed at the abode of friends and lovers, you ate at parties and festivals, and learnt at the table of retired greats and renowned patrons. What fabulous tale awaits you now?

Skill Proficiencies
    Disguise, Performance

Equipment
    A set of common clothes and a fine costume, disguise kit, a hand-sized silver mirror, the favor of an admirer (love letter, lock of hair, or trinket), and a pouch containing 10gp.

Feature: Fantastic Stranger
    Your act involves immersing yourself in a persona (the Mourning Lady, the Hawk Prince etc.) to dazzle your audience with theatrical flair. When you thoroughly disguise yourself as your persona, you convince the common folk you are greater than you are, in power, presence and esteem. They will believe you are who you say you are, and any act done in this disguise will be reported on as such, even under the questioning of the law.

Implacable Audacity
    1. Criminals.
    2. Patrolmen of your home district.
    3. Veterans of the rebellions.
    4. Farmers, fishers and builders.
    5. Blindside outcasts.
    6. Scholars, tinkers and philosophers.
    Through charm and guile you avoid the full retribution of those you might otherwise rile. Providing it can be kept a secret they may even be convinced to help you. You are an exception they’re willing to abide—so long as your trouble doesn’t truly get in their way.

Grand Reef Diver
    Seemingly easy when a master is a work, you know it to be a task requiring focus and dauntless strength. You dive out where the sea is rough, scouring the colossal reef bed for pearls, sunken treasures and rare delicacies. It’s an honest life, a good life; no one dares speak ill of a diver—it’s bad luck for the city itself, or so it is said.

Skill Proficiencies
    Athletics, Nature

Equipment
    A set of waterproofed attire and common clothes, a dagger, hammer, block and tackle, 30 feet of hempen rope, and a pouch containing 10gp.

Feature: Bay Chief
    Between the shore and the reefs you command respect and admiration, and can always find a meal waiting for you from the common folk who live and work by the waves. You may be sought out in times of trouble and have your advice requested from by those heading out to the Grand Reef. In turn you must keep up appearances and fulfil your role as a diver in the eyes of the people.

Reef’s Own
    1. Schooling fish.
    2. Sharks.
    3. Turtles, and other reptiles.
    4. Octopi, and other molluscs.
    5. Sea birds.
    6. Crustaceans.
    Over the years certain creatures have grown accustomed to your presence, and make no effort to help nor hinder you. Even dire and giant variants pay you no mind. This connection is not mystical in nature, but you would know if they were frightened or under the influence of something foreign to them, be it mundane or magical.

Bayfolk
    You might say that all of New Zellatia is by the sea, and that’s not wrong, but the people who wake up each day to the view of the blue are different to the rest of the population. You made your way by fishing, picking clamps and tricking crabs out of their rocky dwellings, and you might have even taken to sail to hunt bigger sea game with your fellow bayfolk from time to time.

Skill Proficiencies
    Nature, Survival

Equipment
    A set of common clothes, fishing tackle, a lamp, flask of oil, dagger, fishing spear, and one musical instrument.

Come rain or shine you adore the outdoors. You ignore the effects of any harsh weather for the first day you journey through it, though if it persists you begin to suffer from it like everyone else.

Old Routes
    1. Stingray Bay to Ladder Island.
    2. Long Pier to Arrowhead Island.
    3. Sleeping Sands to Hum Rock.
    4. Quiet Cove to Medley Point.
    5. Illi Beach to Candle Crest.
    6. The Torch to Ladder Island.
    You begin with knowledge of a secret navigational route at sea. The party doesn’t need to roll on a journey to your known destination, and will beat an equally equipped vessel to it from the same starting point.

Tunglani inspiration for me and you.
    7bexlnnbij0g.jpeg
    axzork73cwxg.jpeg
    zhhemhenppy7.jpeg
    o67y8rv0fch8.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    @Endless_Serpents Do you have more stuff you could post on what you're thinking Primodem look like visually? I want to get a clearer idea in my head of what Gear may look like.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I’ve had the idea for years that a golem doesn’t have to be big and heavy. Primodem are thin, delicately made golems.

bd8mzb3kd5qc.jpeg
    tu7qg5sd6bdt.jpeg
    2k5lbu2rosv1.jpeg
    These first three images are quite close to what I was thinking. The arms and legs are too organic on the middle one there.

dug58mcgu49t.jpeg
    I don’t think they’d be so human-like in features, but this is good too. The arms and legs here are spot on.

They aren’t metal, that’s a fact. They’re white plastic (or something better, but no one knows what plastic is anyway) with brightly coloured segments. Primodem often temporarily tattoo themselves because like, they can.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Oh I'm definitely choosing bayfolk for Baber's background! It meshes so naturally! Gonna add it to the post so I can have all that info in one spot.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Oh, and I love the first and third pics of primodem you found. They look like Guild Wars 2 concept art, and like the same artist made them!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    A torbon is just a giant tortoise that’s been bred as a beast of burden. Horses are thought to be extinct, so lots of other animals take their place. Torbons are slow but steady, and much less flighty than a horse.

-snip tortoises-

In other news I’ll have a decent list of backgrounds ready later today! Hopefully there will be one that you like, but drop me a line later if you’ve got your own idea.

@Endless_Serpents
    Excellent! Sagebrush for the focus it is. I’m curious about the animals in this setting. Would a torbon be used for fieldwork or would they be more for transport duty? If the latter, what sort of animals might be used for draft duty and as livestock? And what sort of creatures would Hado expect to encroach on livestock or draft animals in the field?

• Options
    Torbons are used the way people use elephants. They’re rough terrain mounts, and used to carry heavy things, but they’re not exactly farm animals either.

From the setting book I’m writing:

Mounts

This brief section covers the likely mounts an adventurer might ride, presented in order from most common to rarest.

Ambu
    Short limbed, large headed mammalian creatures of surprising cunning. They have fine, downy fur and naked underbellies, leaving them on the soft side as far as adventurer’s mounts go. Ambus can be taught a variety of tricks, and are said to understand the languages of other creatures. Their calls are similar to whalesong, though none can say why.

Yukell
    Seemingly distant kin to both oxen and goats, yukell are broad beasts of burden often used to pull wagons. They are docile and aminable, but have a mischievous streak, much more likely to play than your average farm animal. The fringe covering their eyes seems to do little to effect their keen ability to sense trouble.

Torbon
    Torbon are hardy, domesticated giant tortoises that fair well in all environments, but are rather slow and steady. They make excellent equipment haulers, long distance mounts, and they’ve been the spearhead in clearing the land outside the city walls for farming.

Juju
    A friendly flightless bird like a cross between a flamingo, cassowary and a parotia. Long domesticated, or rather a juju is capable of moving seamlessly between people and a passing flock with ease, they make fine mounts for as long as their limited attention holds.

Giant Frog
    Agile companion creatures of the Kaburin that can be coaxed into acting as a mount with regular feeding. Difficult to ride, they require proper saddle and barding for the sake of the rider and the frog alike. Unlike a torbon they are not bred for service, each one is trained individually by their Kaburin wrangler.

Giant Tapir
    Much like their slightly smaller relatives in temperament and needs, giant tapirs make middling mounts at a push. They’re at home in dense forest and by the riverside.

Keffgris
    Otherwise known as a the ‘deer-tiger’, these large sabre-toothed deers with their silver manes and dark red striped bodies are majestic to behold. Difficult to train, but loyal to the end when treated well by their rider. Legends tell of even larger variants living upon mountains far from New Zellatia.

Beach Hound
    Not a canine, nor a fish, beach hounds have features reminiscent of both. Like a hammerhead shark their eyes protrude out from their head, providing them a uniquely wide line of sight, along with heightened senses overall. Woefully stupid, they seem to enjoy following the lead of their rider. They are carnivores however, and turn their nose up at rations, so keeping them fed on the road requires significant hunting for fresh meat.

Living Throne
    Held in a black diamond amulet, living thrones are conjured by speaking their command word aloud. A slick tarnished gold or silver creature forms from the amulet over the course of 1 minute, with the diamond acting as its single eye. Mounts of the Vilelord’s commanders, they are constructs, but appear to have formed quirks of personality over time.

Pony
    Ponies and horses are thought to have been hunted to extinction during the Age of Oppression to spite the knights of old. It’s said ponies were smaller, but had more endurance than the handsome, swift horses.

Horse
    None have seen any in years, save a few unconfirmed reports from vagabonds drinking on the city walls. Strong and fast, it would take incredibly tracking skills to wrangle one now.

For farm animals in particular (maybe that’s a section in the book I need to make too...)

Tapirs in place of pigs, yukell (big fluffy yak-goats), regular goats, frogs are farmed for their meat, some torbons pulling harvest plows, turkeys, mountains of edible bugs, no cows, sheep, pigs or chickens. Maybe a more stupid, blubbery relative of the Ambu (whale ancestor mammals), let’s call them Tutbu.

• Options
    @Endless_Serpents Look into Guiena pig farming as well, since that's something that was common in the south americas. Also, whath appened to pigs? i can buy horses and ponies being wiped out, but pigs are just so stupid adaptable - even if they're no longer domesiticated, i'd kinda expect giant boars in the wilderness. Just an asthetic choice?

On that note:

Gear is going to be a majority white with portions that fade into light blues, and some black and gold detailing in spots (Around her eye sockets and face, but also joints). She generally disdains clothing other than practical needs - so she'll wear gloves, or boots or similar, but modesty is probably a foreign concept. On the flipside, she wears her armor nearly all the time, and gets very grumpy if she has to remove it - It's PRACTICAL dammit. (insert image of petulant robo-girl stomping here, and threating to set peoples hair on fire)

• Options
    There’s wild boars for sure. Guess people just haven’t got around to it! New Zelly is an unfinished city. The future of bacon rests in the hands of this generation!

• Options
    There’s wild boars for sure. Guess people just haven’t got around to it! New Zelly is an unfinished city. The future of bacon rests in the hands of this generation!

Alas, poor piggles.

So other than providing you with character sheets, what do we need to do to get this show all the way on the road?

• Options
    Not much really! It’s still open for sign-ups and to anyone else reading, you can join when we’re underway if you PM me in advance.

I need:
    - Finished character sheets for 1st level characters, including what district you’re from. You can post your sheet as text in a PM, or link me to it if you use google docs or whatever.
    - That’s it!

Looks like I’ll have more signal that I figured this week, so we may start as early as tomorrow if everyone is ready.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Right, i'd better get off my arse and sort the character sheet out then, hadnt i? *starts another game of civ*

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    Backgrounds!

Astrologist
    Divinity is cast as twinkling light by night, and from that light destiny is wrought. The draw to the gods is profound, and their homes within the stars awe-inspiring. You’ve studied the stars all your days, searching for greater meaning and entrusting your life to their subtle, fate arranging patterns. Where next will they guide your gaze?

Skill Proficiencies
    Arcana, Religion

Equipment
    A set of light robes, fine clothes, a lamp, a flask of oil, a marble scrib, 5 pieces of coloured chalk, a signet ring engraved with a star sign, and a pouch containing 10gp.

Feature: Star Gazing
    You have earned the right to enter and utilise the vast collective knowledge of the Astral Clocktower in Petalway. Your peers will lend their insight if you have a research project, or spiritual pursuit, though they’re less than willing to get their hands dirty. Among the common folk you can frighten or inspire with your words, at least until you’re revealed to be fallible.

Celestial Visitations
    1. Fire and flood.
    2. Internal treachery.
    3. Awakened monstrosity.
    4. Your untimely demise.
    5. Appalling crime.
    6. Famine and plague.
    You know even more than you’re letting on. It’s your firm believe that your reading of the Divine Zodiac leads to this outcome within the year unless you put a plan into action. You begin with a clue, and the knowledge that someone in the party will be pivotal to averting danger.

Scribe
    Freedom takes many forms, yours is to write. Recording knowledge to pass on, be it a short term message or a heavy tome of knowledge allows the people of New Zellatia to transcend the limitations of time. Once books were burned, once books were a treasure people were willing to die for. As a scribe you take your duties seriously, for you build the future as much as a stonemason might.

Skill Proficiencies
    History, Perception

Equipment
    A set of common clothes, a bottle of ink, 5 pieces of papyrus, a book of poetry or literature, a candle in a holder, a half-cloak with a favourite word written on it, and a pouch containing 10gp.

Feature: Writer’s Eye
    You can tell a lot about someone from their handwriting, and are able to recall exact details of their style, allowing you to tell who has written a piece of script so long as you’ve seen their handwriting before. In addition, you can instantly tell if a text is an encoded message, though not what it contains.

Gentle Work
    1. A new Hierarchy member.
    2. A renowned veteran rebel.
    3. A Kaburin poet.
    4. A small-time faction lead.*
    5. A business owner.
    6. A Pahina Ina coach of a minor team.
    You’re regularly commissioned between your ventures by this group, and so have a small income on top of your earnings at little effort on your part (that’s not to say it would be so easy for others. You can expect to have enough currency available for food, if not much else.

Heir of Ryllegrand*
    No matter your upbringing the tales of past glories took hold within you, and knowing that a single hero, the Champion of Ryllegrand, brought together the disparate people into a movement, an army for good, set your heart ablaze! You want nothing more than to continue their legacy… though as yet it’s just a daydream. Will you stand the tests your righteousness will bring?

Skill Proficiencies
    Athletics, Insight

Equipment
    A set of traveler’s clothes, a trophy from a notable victory, a horn, an emblem or totem signifying bravery, and a pouch containing 10gp.

Feature: Dashing Fool
    You’re nobody—yet. People tend to overlook you and underestimate your capabilities. Your adoration of past heroes is seen warmly by most, but no one thinks you could grow to match them. Rivals and foes leave themselves open to you; they don’t expect you to defeat them.

Hero’s Spirit
    1. Devils.
    2. Demons.
    3. Monstrosities.
    4. Elementals.
    5. Undead.
    6. Giants.
    In contrast to the people of New Zellatia certain monsters out in the wilds (or hidden beneath the streets…) know you not for what you are, but what you have the potential to become. They’ll strike you first and hardest when the opportunity presents itself.

*No one knows where that is. Maybe it is, or was, another city far, far away from New Zellatia. It’s a plothook.

• Options
    Quick question @Endless_Serpents - am i allowed to load my cantrips with Maelstrom heart?

• Options
    That took a lot of thinking, sorry. Yes. You can load a damaging cantrip with Maelstrom Heart. You can’t load it into a cantrip that only has an effect, and you can’t load it onto a spell.

• Options
    That took a lot of thinking, sorry. Yes. You can load a damaging cantrip with Maelstrom Heart. You can’t load it into a cantrip that only has an effect, and you can’t load it onto a spell.

That seems fine. I just want to make my fire bolts shoot lighting as well sometimes, you know? =3Not attemtping any trickery here, just extra Ker-zap when i fry something.

Also, because PDF shennagins are irking me, Here's Gears character sheet in raw text

Artificer, level 1. +2 Proficiency mod. 10 hp. AC: 16 (Scalemail equipped), else 12 if i'm remembering it correctly.
    Stats, saving throws, skill profs:
    1. STR 10 - +0
    2. DEX 14 - +2.
    3. CON 14 - +2. Prof Saving Throw (+4)
    4. INT 16 - +3. Prof Saving throw (+5). Investigate, Arcana (+5 to both). +3 to all other int skills
    5. WIS 13 - +1. Perception, Medicine (+3 to both). 13 Passive perception. +1 to all other wis skills
    6. CHA 8 - -1

Background: Beloved Kin. Family is Dogabag builders and provisoners who found her wandering when she first emerged from the jungles.
    Tool Proficiency: Tinkers, Thieves, Cartographers.
    Languages: Broken understanding of Architect. New Tongue
    Cantrips known: Firebolt (+3 to hit), Mending

Equipment: Scalemail (made of a mix of armadillo, giant igauna and giant carp scales). Quaterstaff (Driftwood, finely polished and looked after). Hand axe (Wood haft, obsidian blade). Crossbow, 20 bolts. Thieves tools, dungeeoners pack. A set of common clothes, a set of fine clothes, homemade jewellery worth 5 gp, a lucky trinket, a full waterskin, 3 days worth of rations, and a pouch containing 5 gp.

Bracelets of Good Fortune (attuned)
    Common magic item, requires attunement.
    Palm wood bead leg bracelets. Each bead is engraved with a name important to you. Thinking someone in the dogabog family she's from made it for her, thoguhts/suggestions?

When you take a short or long rest, you regain +1 HP. During the first attack made against you after a short or long rest your AC is temporarily increased by +1.

I thiiiiiink that covers everything, but i've probably missed something somewhere.

• Options
    Backgrounds
    These backgrounds are for heroic adventurers who were born and raised in the city of New Zellatia, as is expected by default.

The Vilelord attempted to stamp out communication between people of differing languages and was largely successful. Additional languages will therefore only be granted by class. If you would like to use a background from a different supplement or of your own design simply remove the languages section of the background.

Beloved Kin
    You were raised communally by a group of neighbours alongside their own children. You have several siblings and numerous cousins, plus a handful of unrelated aunts and uncles, adopted family and close friends. Having left since to make your own way in the world you still define yourself by your family links.

Skill Proficiencies
    Insight, Persuasion

Equipment
    A set of common clothes, a set of fine clothes, homemade jewellery worth 5 gp, a lucky trinket, a full waterskin, 3 days worth of rations, and a pouch containing 5 gp.

Feature: Always There for You
    You can always find a place to hide, rest, or recuperate amongst your family, unless you have openly betrayed their trust. They will shield you from your enemies or anyone else searching for you, though only some will dare risk their lives for you.

Family’s Specialty
    Law enforcement.
    Hierarchy governing.
    Building and provisions.
    Grand entertainment.
    Wares and rarities.
    Faction adherents.*
    Your family may be disapproving of your actions if they run counter to your family’s specialty. They will try to turn you back to a more favourable course, but they’ll never knowingly harm you.

*Choose a faction from Chapter X.

Scavenger
    Your youth was spent tactfully acquiring antiques and relics of the old world (or snatching and running when things got rough) from the crumbling keeps and fallen remnants of the Augur. Never straying too far, nevertheless you’ve been further than the average New Zellatian, and now firmly have a heart for delving.

Skill Proficiencies
    Investigation, Survival

Equipment
    A set of traveler’s clothes, a set of dark hooded attire, a torch, piece of chalk, tinderbox, tough leather sack, and a pouch containing 10 gp.

Feature: Antiquarian Contacts
    You are on good terms with those who deal in artefacts, legitimately or otherwise. You know how to get messages across to their network, and have enough clout to keep any one of them out of the loop on a score you’ve made. You can use younger scavengers as messengers and through them get in touch with your peers away from prying eyes.

Next Score
    Terrible weapon.
    Luxurious wealth.
    Magical relic.
    Mysterious construct.
    Hidden knowledge.
    Lost beauty.
    You’ve got this score all to yourself; no one else has the slightest lead on it. You begin play with a rough idea of the area you’ll find your score, and a riddle or clue to its exact location. You know it’ll be tough to get, so you’ve kept it under your hat for now.

Street Performer
    Knife throwers, fire eaters, belly dancers, acrobats, living statues, sword swallowers—you are one of the daring and extraordinarily extravagant performers that fill the evening streets of New Zellatia. You’ve earned your keep doing not a dull task or civil necessity, but what you love—no matter the toll on your body. You made your bed at the abode of friends and lovers, you ate at parties and festivals, and learnt at the table of retired greats and renowned patrons. What fabulous tale awaits you now?

Skill Proficiencies
    Disguise, Performance

Equipment
    A set of common clothes and a fine costume, disguise kit, a hand-sized silver mirror, the favor of an admirer (love letter, lock of hair, or trinket), and a pouch containing 10gp.

Feature: Fantastic Stranger
    Your act involves immersing yourself in a persona (the Mourning Lady, the Hawk Prince etc.) to dazzle your audience with theatrical flair. When you thoroughly disguise yourself as your persona, you convince the common folk you are greater than you are, in power, presence and esteem. They will believe you are who you say you are, and any act done in this disguise will be reported on as such, even under the questioning of the law.

Implacable Audacity
    Scholars, tinkers and philosophers.
    Criminals.
    Patrolmen of your home district.
    Veterans of the rebellion.
    Farmers, fishers and builders.
    Blindside outcasts.
    Through charm and guile you avoid the full retribution of those you might otherwise rile. Providing it can be kept a secret they may even be convinced to help you. You are an exception they’re willing to abide—so long as your trouble doesn’t truly get in their way.

Grand Reef Diver
    Seemingly easy when a master is a work, you know it to be a task requiring focus and dauntless strength. You dive out where the sea is rough, scouring the colossal reef bed for pearls, sunken treasures and rare delicacies. It’s an honest life, a good life; no one dares speak ill of a diver—it’s bad luck for the city itself, or so it is said.

Skill Proficiencies
    Athletics, Nature

Equipment
    A set of waterproofed attire and common clothes, a dagger, hammer, block and tackle, 30 feet of hempen rope, and a pouch containing 10gp.

Feature: Bay Chief
    Between the shore and the reefs you command respect and admiration, and can always find a meal waiting for you from the common folk who live and work by the waves. You may be sought out in times of trouble and have your advice requested from by those heading out to the Grand Reef. In turn you must keep up appearances and fulfil your role as a diver in the eyes of the people.

Reef’s Own
    Schooling fish.
    Sharks.
    Turtles, and other reptiles.
    Octopi, and other molluscs.
    Sea birds.
    Crustaceans.
    Over the years certain creatures have grown accustomed to your presence, and make no effort to help nor hinder you. Even dire and giant variants pay you no mind. This connection is not mystical in nature, but you would know if they were frightened or under the influence of something foreign to them, be it mundane or magical.

Bayfolk
    You might say that all of New Zellatia is by the sea, and that’s not wrong, but the people who wake up each day to the view of the blue are different to the rest of the population. You made your way by fishing, picking clams and tricking crabs out of their rocky dwellings, and you might have even taken to sail to hunt bigger sea game with your fellow bayfolk from time to time.

Skill Proficiencies
    Nature, Survival

Equipment

Old Routes
    Stingray Bay to Ladder Island.
    Long Pier to Arrowhead Island.
    Sleeping Sands to Hum Rock.
    Quiet Cove to Medley Point.
    Illi Beach to Candle Crest.
    The Torch to Ladder Island.

Astrologist
    Divinity is cast as twinkling light by night, and from that light destiny is wrought. The draw to the gods is profound, and their homes within the stars awe-inspiring. You’ve studied the stars all your days, searching for greater meaning and entrusting your life to their subtle, fate arranging patterns. Where next will they guide your gaze?

Skill Proficiencies
    Arcana, Religion

Equipment
    A set of light robes, fine clothes, a lamp, a flask of oil, a marble scrib, 5 pieces of coloured chalk, a signet ring engraved with a star sign, and a pouch containing 10gp.
    Feature: Star Gazing
    You have earned the right to enter and utilise the vast collective knowledge of the Astral Clocktower in Petalway. Your peers will lend their insight if you have a research project, or spiritual pursuit, though they’re less than willing to get their hands dirty. Among the common folk you can frighten or inspire with your words, at least until you’re revealed to be fallible.

Celestial Visitations
    Fire and flood.
    Internal treachery.
    Awakened monstrosity.
    Your untimely demise.
    Appalling crime.
    Famine and plague.
    You know even more than you’re letting on. It’s your firm believe that your reading of the Divine Zodiac leads to this outcome within the year unless you put a plan into action. You begin with a clue, and the knowledge that someone in the party will be pivotal to averting danger.

Scribe
    Freedom takes many forms, yours is to write. Recording knowledge to pass on, be it a short term message or a heavy tome of knowledge allows the people of New Zellatia to transcend the limitations of time. Once books were burned, once books were a treasure people were willing to die for. As a scribe you take your duties seriously, for you build the future as much as a stonemason might.

Skill Proficiencies
    History, Perception

Equipment
    A set of common clothes, a bottle of ink, 5 pieces of papyrus, a book of poetry or literature, a candle in a holder, a half-cloak with a favourite word written on it, and a pouch containing 10gp.
    Feature: Writer’s Eye
    You can tell a lot about someone from their handwriting, and are able to recall exact details of their style, allowing you to tell who has written a piece of script so long as you’ve seen their handwriting before. In addition, you can instantly tell if a text is an encoded message, though not what it contains.

Gentle Work
    A new Hierarchy member.
    A renowned veteran rebel.
    A Kaburin poet.
    A small-time faction lead.*
    A business owner.
    A Pahina Ina coach of a minor team.
    You’re regularly commissioned between your ventures by this group, and so have a small income on top of your earnings at little effort on your part (that’s not to say it would be so easy for others. You can expect to have enough currency available for food, if not much else.

Heir of Ryllegrand
    No matter your upbringing the tales of past glories took hold within you, and knowing that a single hero, the Champion of Ryllegrand, brought together the disparate people into a movement, an army for good, set your heart ablaze! You want nothing more than to continue their legacy… though as yet it’s just a daydream. Will you stand the tests your righteousness will bring?

Skill Proficiencies
    Athletics, Insight

Equipment
    A set of traveler’s clothes, a trophy from a notable victory, a horn, an emblem or totem signifying bravery, and a pouch containing 10gp.

Feature: Dashing Fool
    You’re nobody—yet. People tend to overlook you and underestimate your capabilities. Your adoration of past heroes is seen warmly by most, but no one thinks you could grow to match them. Rivals and foes leave themselves open to you; they don’t expect you to defeat them.

Hero’s Spirit
    Devils.
    Demons.
    Monstrosities.
    Elementals.
    Undead.
    Giants.
    In contrast to the people of New Zellatia certain monsters out in the wilds (or hidden beneath the streets…) know you not for what you are, but what you have the potential to become. They’ll strike you first and hardest when the opportunity presents itself.

Instigator
    The rebellion freed the world from tyranny, but that doesn’t mean folk should sit by idly as corruption seeps into society. You’re a renegade out for trouble, a hero to some and criminal to others. You always have your eye on those in authority—for you know power in the wrong hands could end in tears for New Zellatia.

Skill Proficiencies
    Persuasion, Deception

Equipment
    A set of common clothes, a pot of paint, a paintbrush, a mask or layered veil, a dagger, and a spyglass.

Feature: Rabble Rouser
    When you make a dazzling entrance or stand from a monument in the streets people stop to listen. You can turn heads and make those around you question the motives of those with power over them, though you have no control over the results. Your contact with other rebellious folk is tenuous, you have the wit to push them to action, but their goals might not align with yours in the long run.

Angry Mob
    Violence.
    Theft.
    Revenge.
    Empowerment.
    Influence.
    Wealth.
    Whenever you go looking for fellow rebels there’s a catch, a thing they’re after beyond the justice you crave. People with extreme ideas tend to create extreme outcomes, after all. The echoes of your part in it will be felt throughout the city for months to come, if not longer.

Voice of the People
    What is a city if not her people? What is a person if their opinion is not heard? You were chosen by your peers to parley with the Hierarchy, and may be well on your way to joining the council itself. You are the leading expert in your field and your voice must be heard by those in power, for the good of all. You may not have ambitions of leadership, but fate seems to have bootstrapped you on such a course. Will you stay true to your word?

Skill Proficiencies
    Persuasion, Insight

Equipment
    A set of fine clothes, a book of law, a message from a peer, a invitation to a high ranking council member’s abode, and a pouch containing 15 gp.

Feature: Righteous Cause
    You stand for something more. Not for a bickering faction or some underhanded group with visions of grandeur—but for the people of New Zellatia. You can find refuge with those you represent, and they’ll grant you their skills and service so long as you’re furthering the cause. They’re not so quick to act when you’re not around, and they’re more likely to bend the system than break the city’s laws in your name.

Speaking Freely
    The delicate matter of just who is downtrodden is to be decided by all those playing, and it too complex to be rolled for. See what everyone is happy to see discussed and played out across your adventures first, then consider championing a particular cause for the betterment of the people.

More to come, but this is all you’ll get for the play-test.

I’ve noticed most backgrounds offer an extra tool, vehicle or instrument proficiency but these will do for our adventure I’m sure. I’ll give them a second pass in the future.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Would you be interesting in starting tomorrow? I’ll post an introduction to the adventure later tonight if you all get back to me.

@The Zombie Penguin
    @Tynnan
    @Darmak

Endless_Serpents on