As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] now returns you to your regular programming.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    Picked up Outward to try and fill my need for RPGs that let you wander around and poke around at things. This is definitely some Eurojank survival RPG stuff.

First I missed out on some items by going to sleep on a bedroll in the starter area at the advice of an NPC. That ends your time in the starter area.

So I restarted, did stuff around the starting city, went outside the city games for the first time, saw one of the white flightless birds I saw in pens in the city, and promptly got nearly killed by the flightless bird when it charged me.

Afterwards, I bumped into two bandits. I killed one and was "killed" by the other. In this case, I was rescued by a wandering huntress and came to back at home.

This is going to be an odd and interesting experience.

I'd definitely like to hear more about it. It's one I've been looking at since my wife and I are looking for a new game to coop together, and this looks..... mostly pretty good. She has a pretty low jank tolerance, which is the main thing that's stalling me.

It's *very* janky.

It's also brutally unforgiving. You will die over and over and over. Well, not really die. You'll be knocked out and captured by slavers and have all your stuff taken away. Or you'll be knocked out and rescued by a hunter and dragged back to town. Or you'll be knocked out and rescued by a demon and brought back to his cave. Or.... etc. The "death" mechanic is one of the most interesting aspects of the game.

Of course, Steam has that two hour refund window. You could try it and refund it if you hate it.

To add onto this, this is heavy Eurojank: A lot of systems and mechanics that are unevenly done but are compelling. In one zone I was killed and the death event that involved waking up in the zone's town put me so far from the zone transition that I was stuck in a zone too tough for me for quite a while since each time I died I wound up back in that town except for the two times divine intervention saved me and put me on an isolated plateau instead. A plateau I couldn't find a safe path down from so I died again from fall damage once and the other I only almost died and managed to hoof it out of the zone.

I'll also add that so far the survival elements don't seem too harsh but are always present. I've yet to fully drain a waterskin before being able to revill it and have two of them. Temperature has yet to be an issue as armors that protected against them were quickly available. There's always been food available to forage, trees to gather food from for fires to cook it, etc. Food instead has less been about worrying about starvation and finding the types of food that passively regenerate health because combat can quickly turn ugly.

My current goal is to equip myself a little better and then try one of the other zones. From the looks of the enemies list, the zone I ventured to was harder than my other option out of the starting zone.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Isy's living the life right there.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I learned how to remove the "What's New" section of the "New Steam Library"
    Go to Steam install folder
    copy "resource" folder
    go to "skins"
    create new folder, name it what ever you want
    go into the new folder and paste "resource"
    go into resource
    open "webkit.css" in a text editor
    paste
    .libraryhome_WhatsNewContainer_gdZT7 {
    display: none; }
    save and close that file.
    Open steam and go to settings->interface
    Select the new skin.
    Restart steam
    eidhk8t62mze.png

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, that picture of the pizza is awesome, but I was hoping to see the TV. :biggrin: Mmm... that looks good.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I swear im going to mount it! I just wanna do it right. And I spend more time watching stuff ans less playing lol

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Mass Effect is as old now as Pac-Man was when the first Doom came out.

Doom turned 25 back in 2018.

Doom was only 2 years old in 2018

Doom was thirteen in 2018.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Mass Effect is as old now as Pac-Man was when the first Doom came out.

Doom turned 25 back in 2018.

Doom was only 2 years old in 2018

Doom was thirteen in 2018.

Doom is Eternal.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Apparently @Big Classy is not doing a good job at saving and decided I needed to clear an item from my wishlist. Aside from all the time in AC:O (thanks again @Pixelated Pixie ) I'll have to make room for Star Wars-ing... jerk!
    JImAYS2.png

• MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    Well, good thing that happened to @cardboard delusions , cause he was short on wallet money to get fallen order for himself after he did this. So he also seems to be bad at saving money! Thanks bud <3rst8n17q9qyr.jpg

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'll like Crosscode when it tells me how to clear the fucking Ice Dungeon.

What issue have you had with it?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    gifts for the gift throne

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Wiv9ybv.png
    Battle 2.4
    @emnmnme VS @jclast
    Emnmnme had decided it was time to take over the world. Someone had left a powerful magical sword in this murky pond and it was begging to be used.
    eE5d7aE.jpg
    Unfortunately for Emnmnme a (checks wikipedia) gang of anthropomorphic animal heist thieves staged an elaborate heist to recover the sword before the world or at least Britain, could be conquered.
    The gangs driver Jclast decided to stash the sword in a handy anvil/stone. Emnmnme tried to retrieve the sword, but it just wouldn't budge.
    True fact, they later built Disneyland around the site.
    ExbC5T2.jpg
    Jclast's rock beats Emnmnme's scissors.
    Next up

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    5ugtsr2b8l6l.png
    Folks, your 27 contenders for the 2020 Fucking Sucks Cup!

dlbzei6mhi1s.png

All entrants: please make sure your information is correct and let me know otherwise!

I'm going to start firing this off very soon, but before we start up, here's the plan on how this will work. Last time I did this, it was a straight 8-player single elimination tournament. Due to the fact that I was incredibly lazy, about half the entrants had first-round byes. It was really dumb! So we're going to do this a little better.

The first will be a group phase. This is where the 27 players will be quickly and brutally whittled to just 8 to seed the bracket. After that, the tournament phase will proceed as normal. Two players go head-to-head, loser gets knocked out and winner proceeds to the next round, repeat until we have a winner. Simple.

If all goes well and my setup doesn't explode, the group elimination phase will start this weekend. Best of luck!

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what this is, but I like it a lot.

I feel instant solidarity with my food (hi-5 bulgogi buddy, @Mugsley) and image choice (fist bump for you @Massena and @akajaybay for bricks/king cake solidarity) compatriots. Color choices do nothing for me, though. Huh.

If you told me Zxerol was working on a degree in experimental psychology, I would not be surprised. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • CalescentCalescent Registered User regular
    Hitman: Absolution is free to keep on GOG for the next 64+ hours.

b4jm30oduva8.jpg

Steam: Calidaria
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    How is GTA V in first person?

Thought about playing it for the first time in that mode.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

It's fine.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Thanks @bloodatonement for Cosmic Star Heroine!
    hzp9x3zphiex.png

Hey fine folks! Just gonna throw this out here - I know some people here still have older computers so maybe this can help someone.

I have a spare setup here consisting of an MSI Gaming-5 Z97 motherboard, i5-4690k CPU, and 16GB of RAM. Obviously these aren't new/cutting edge parts by any stretch, but they worked perfectly fine when I upgraded from that setup. And if someone is using something older, maybe a small refresh/upgrade would be helpful?

Anyway, I'm tired of looking at them and would hate to just toss them in the dumpster. So, like... is there anyone who could use them? Free, of course.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

It’s hilarious is what it is. But also you might have some trouble initially with like cover and some stuff, but it’s surprisingly playable if that’s wha you prefer

Prohass on
    edited June 2020
    Tempted by Ubisoft and Bethesda deals on their stores, but I just know that as soon as I buy those games they’ll end up discounted during a sale on steam. And I’m starting to feel the siren song of wanting as many games on one launcher as possible. What have I become

Oh wait I think Bethesda at least provides steam codes?

Also actually it might be cheaper to just join one month of Uplay

Prohass on
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Hey fine folks! Just gonna throw this out here - I know some people here still have older computers so maybe this can help someone.

I have a spare setup here consisting of an MSI Gaming-5 Z97 motherboard, i5-4690k CPU, and 16GB of RAM. Obviously these aren't new/cutting edge parts by any stretch, but they worked perfectly fine when I upgraded from that setup. And if someone is using something older, maybe a small refresh/upgrade would be helpful?

Anyway, I'm tired of looking at them and would hate to just toss them in the dumpster. So, like... is there anyone who could use them? Free, of course.

Please do not throw my computer in the garbage.

I have basically exactly those components and recently replaced my GTX 970 with a GTX 1660-super and a nice quiet fan cooler (I can't recall the manufacturer, but it makes a big difference). The computer can basically handle every modern game at max settings and get 1080p/60 FPS. I haven't felt the need to upgrade for a long time. The video card replacement was due to the old one failing because of an excessive dust accumulation that led to it becoming quite toasty. The original build had poor airflow and a fan configuration that pretty much guaranteed rapid dust accumulation, but a friend and I rebuilt everything after cleaning all of it and my temperatures dropped by 20°C and the dust only accumulates on the intake filters for the most part now.

cB557 wrote: »
    Thanks @bloodatonement for Cosmic Star Heroine!
    hzp9x3zphiex.png

Apparently I too R A WINNAR! Thank you @bloodatonement for Cosmic Star Heroine. I've enjoyed all the Zeboyd Games to date and this one looks like one of their best.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Will echo the advice to clean out the computer and check for stuff like faulty/slow fans before throwing out a machine. Never underestimate the impact of heat on performance.

And yeah, it's always worth asking what you actually play and how you play it. If you mostly play indie games and your monitor only supports 1080p at 60 Hz, there is absolutely no reason to get a cutting-edge graphics card.

Like, I was never one for FPS games, so that helps me quite a bit with regards to hardware specs as those games tend to be the ones that most actively push the boundaries. I feel like the one I just got will last me at least 5 years given my current gaming habits.

Caedwyr wrote: »
    Any suggestions for 2 player local coop games that have a story and progression? That means no Gungeon like games please. But shooters or rpg or arpg would be cool.

The Tales of Vesperia, Eternia, Graces F, Berseria, etc series.
    Secret of Mana
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Earth Defense Force 4.1 or Earth Defense Force 5.
    Diablo 3 (console)
    Child of Light
    Borderlands series games

A few more:

Magicka
    Monaco
    Never Alone

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

I recently upgraded so I have an 8GB RX 580 I can pitch in.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Did we ever get a final picture of the TV fully set up? I mean, if it’s not too intrusive @Big Classy?

I posted it in chat but I can post the temporary setup here. I'll be mounting it once I have someone to assist me. I swear I've just been watching everything on it even Green Lantern!

e2i0bdwrrrlh.jpg
    qdr0mcbm43fk.jpg

I never knew that pizza and fries was a thing till now. That sounds awesome to have with a beautiful new TV.

Now I want a pizza.... And fries.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Eyes: *see pizza*
    Brain: WANT PIZZA
    Me: No, we already have dinner we need to eat first.
    Me: We had pizza last friday
    Me: WE HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

How come nobody is commenting on chips with pizza. I’ve never heard of this. I would like to know more

Prohass wrote: »
    How come nobody is commenting on chips with pizza. I’ve never heard of this. I would like to know more

I just assumed it was some weird UK thing.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Wait... fries and pizza not a thing over stateside?

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Usually the sides offered by pizza chains are chicken wings or bread sticks. Or another pizza.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular

I have basically exactly those components and recently replaced my GTX 970 with a GTX 1660-super and a nice quiet fan cooler (I can't recall the manufacturer, but it makes a big difference). The computer can basically handle every modern game at max settings and get 1080p/60 FPS. I haven't felt the need to upgrade for a long time. The video card replacement was due to the old one failing because of an excessive dust accumulation that led to it becoming quite toasty. The original build had poor airflow and a fan configuration that pretty much guaranteed rapid dust accumulation, but a friend and I rebuilt everything after cleaning all of it and my temperatures dropped by 20°C and the dust only accumulates on the intake filters for the most part now.

I agree with this as well. I have a slightly lower end system with an i5-4670, 970, and 16GB of RAM plugged into my 1080p TV and it still plays pretty much everything. Toss a mildly decent card into Pixie's system and you'll have a solid gaming setup.

Oddly enough, the only time I really ran into framerate problems was with my heavily modded Oblivion after the Spectre patch came out. That dropped my 60 FPS everywhere to 10 in some spots.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

Usually the sides offered by pizza chains are chicken wings or bread sticks. Or another pizza.

Or, if you are dining in someplace, there was a point where said places would have a salad bar. Given, I haven't eaten pizza "out" at a chain since the mid 2000s when I learned of my celiac disease, so god knows what happened to those places over the course of 15ish years.

Not that it matters right now anyways since no one should be going out to eat are you insane.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    @bloodatonement has made me a winner of Cosmic Star Heroine,

I should go play this jrpg, but my backlog? Ah steam thread, you smell the same you did when I was here last.

Wait 1.9 gigs? I thought this was clasic pixel look? That is a LOT of content!

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    1st person GTA is a lot of fun. It makes driving a lot more difficult and if you roll or fall it is incredibly jarring but in a way that makes you laugh.

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'm currently not PC gaming due to a lack of funds and budget, but would want anyone with a greater need to take priority. I have a Switch and an ample backlog, but follow the thread/chatroom here for the community. Y'all helped me through some hard times.

DaringDirk on
    camo_sig2.png
    an_alt wrote: »

I agree with this as well. I have a slightly lower end system with an i5-4670, 970, and 16GB of RAM plugged into my 1080p TV and it still plays pretty much everything. Toss a mildly decent card into Pixie's system and you'll have a solid gaming setup.

Oddly enough, the only time I really ran into framerate problems was with my heavily modded Oblivion after the Spectre patch came out. That dropped my 60 FPS everywhere to 10 in some spots.

Yeah it would be a good match with @SmokeStacks's RX 580 for a decent midrange gaming rig.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I also think I sent Pixie that old build so... yeah don't throw MY computer in the garbage. :biggrin:

edited June 2020
    I also think I sent Pixie that old build so... yeah don't throw MY computer in the garbage. :biggrin:

No, the build you sent was quite a bit better than that and is what my kid is still happily rocking. :D The stuff I'm getting rid of is my old build before my most recent upgrade.

edit - found the specs. This was the crazy shit you sent my kid:
    Intel i7-5930 3.5GHZ 6-core
    32GB RAM
    MSI X99S SLI Plus Mobo
    1070GTX 8GB SC Black

:o

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.