As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    https://thebests.kotaku.com/lets-rank-the-assassins-creed-games-worst-to-best-1844019813

This list triggered me, mostly because any list that doesn't have Brotherhood in the #1 spot is just fucked

edit: I’m trying to be nicer, so I’ve removed my toxic rant even though it was meant to be sorta funny. Let me just say I vehemently disagree with that list.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    https://thebests.kotaku.com/lets-rank-the-assassins-creed-games-worst-to-best-1844019813

This list triggered me, mostly because any list that doesn't have Brotherhood in the #1 spot is just fucked

That list is completely stupid. I know opinions are what they are but listing AC3 above Rogue or Brotherhood? Are you fucking kidding me? Listing AC3 anywhere near the top or even middle of the list is eye-rolling to me but dear god that list is the product of an insane mind. They should check whoever wrote that article for rabies.

This may sound like an exaggeration of my opinion but I assure you it either is or isn’t.
    I personally like 3 a lot but putting it ahead of Brotherhood is completely bonkers. Brotherhood is the apotheosis of that first group of games and it’s also the one that introduced the vastly underrated competitive multiplayer mode.

• Options
    Well too late to remove my rant I guess but that’s okay.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I also stan 3 but most people hate it, for reasons I can understand

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I feel like its hard to really rank assassins creed because its really 4 sets of games (not counting the first or spinoffs) and how you feel about various design decisions of a set itself affects a lot how you would rank things.

Like there’s the Ezio games, the early Americas games, the early modern Europe games, and the ancient world games, and they are pretty similar within but totally different from one series to another both in setting and mechanically.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Black Flag, I mean, pirates. C'mon.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The homestead stuff in 3 is some of my favorite moments in the entire series.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    My personal top 5:

Brotherhood
    AC2
    Odyssey
    AC3
    Unity (post-patch)

I liked the writing in Syndicate a lot but felt the actual gameplay was lacking. It's a shame because London was a strong setting. Unity's France was excellent and aside from a wet fart of an ending, I had fun with it, especially in co-op. Wish more AC games had co-op like that.

Brotherhood just nailed every aspect. Climbing was fun but still challenging, as in it was possible to fall if you didn't do it right. The combat was fun and flashy, but again wasn't easy, it took skill to take on big groups. The brotherhood mechanic is Soo Soo good and really the kind of thing the games need more of. Nothing is more badass than making your own custom ninja clan.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Syndicate and Origins are sone of my favorites.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Brotherhood was the only time I used the "summon your buddies to help" mechanic, because those people were ones that I had recruited and trained and sent on missions and I loved them. What do I care about these generic dudes in green in Syndicate, they are all clones of each other.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    My top five is definitely:
    5) Rogue
    4) III
    3) II
    2) Brotherhood
    1) IV: Black Flag

• Options
    One thing I really remember loving about Origins was how the three different cultures had different architecture and you could figure out the history/culture of an area just by looking around. Reminded me of Morrowind a lot in that.

Like theres a lot of games where all the buildings just look the same, and there are games that move beyond that and you can tell where you are by the way architecture looks (Like oblivion and skyrim come to mind) and then there are games where the architecture begins to tell a story itself. That’s really an impressive acheivement.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'll always have a soft spot for Revelations. Even though the plot was grade A "spinning the wheels/going nowhere", they still managed to do something great with the ending. It was the perfect capstone for Ezio and Altar's characters and stories.

The Lost Archive DLC is a fantastic example of blending environment, gameplay, and narrative, and its ending was probably the moment that actually affected me the most powerfully in the franchise.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I'll always have a soft spot for Revelations. Even though the plot was grade A "spinning the wheels/going nowhere", they still managed to do something great with the ending. It was the perfect capstone for Ezio and Altar's characters and stories.

The Lost Archive DLC is a fantastic example of blending environment, gameplay, and narrative, and its ending was probably the moment that actually affected me the most powerfully in the franchise.

That's kind of funny, as it's the single piece of content my brother hates the most in the entire series so far. He played II, Brotherhood, Revelations, III, Liberation, and is in the middle of IV in like 2.5 months thanks to quarantine.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That's kind of funny, as it's the single piece of content my brother hates the most in the entire series so far. He played II, Brotherhood, Revelations, III, Liberation, and is in the middle of IV in like 2.5 months thanks to quarantine.

I mean, it's all first-person puzzle platforming so I can understand if someone who signed on for third-person action parkour gameplay didn't care for it.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    My list would look something like:

Odyssey
    Brotherhood
    Black Flag
    Rogue
    Revelations
    Syndicate
    Origins
    Unity
    And 1 and 2 bringing up the rear

Though given the focus of my studies at University I'd peg the Levant/1 as my favorite setting/epoch.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I’d love for them to do a game or two revisiting the crusades/middle east.

Heck you could do a whole series. Do one game around the Altair period with crusaders and the like (whether as Altair or a side story), a prequel at the height of the Islamic period in Bahgdad around the Harun al Rashid period, the a game set in Persia based around the mongol invasion and fall of Alamut.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I looked up the resolution to the modern Templars Assassins Precursors plot and immediately wished I hadn't.

• Options

Odyssey
    Brotherhood
    Black Flag
    Rogue
    Revelations
    Syndicate
    Origins
    Unity

Though given the focus of my studies at University I'd peg the Levant/1 as my favorite setting/epoch.

Just curious why Origins and 2 are so low, especially if Odyssey and Brotherhood were your favorites?

• Options
    Look there's only one correct answer here, okay?

1. Final Fantasy X
    2. Final Fantasy VIII
    3. Final Fantasy X-2
    4. Final Fantasy XV
    5. Final Fantasy XII
    6. Final Fantasy XIII/Final Fantasy XIII-2/Final Fantasy XIII-3
    7. Final Fantasy VII
    8. Final Fantasy VI
    9. Final Fantasy IV/Final Fantasy V
    10. Final Fantasy
    11. Final Fantasy III
    12. Final Fantasy II
    13. Final Fantasy IX

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Look there's only one correct answer here, okay?

1. Final Fantasy X
    2. Final Fantasy VIII
    3. Final Fantasy X-2
    4. Final Fantasy XV
    5. Final Fantasy XII
    6. Final Fantasy XIII/Final Fantasy XIII-2/Final Fantasy XIII-3
    7. Final Fantasy VII
    8. Final Fantasy VI
    9. Final Fantasy IV/Final Fantasy V
    10. Final Fantasy
    11. Final Fantasy III
    12. Final Fantasy II
    13. Final Fantasy IX
    This is worst to best, right?

• Options
    As someone who has only played FF7, 8 and X

6 is the best one hands down

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Sorry, no, Final Fantasy IX is by far the absolute worst Assassin's Creed game ever made. By leaps and bounds.

It doesn't even have a hidden blade!

Though I guess it does have a hidden Dagger... Hmm.

Drez on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Odyssey
    Brotherhood
    Black Flag
    Rogue
    Revelations
    Syndicate
    Origins
    Unity

Just curious why Origins and 2 are so low, especially if Odyssey and Brotherhood were your favorites?

I found the challenge tombs and a lot of the NPCs in 2 to be annoying and also never really clicked with Leo that much. The intro of multiplayer and the brotherhood mechanic were really great additions to the gameplay and I loved undermining the Borgias.

Rogue through Origins are pretty much a 4 way tie for 4th. I love a lot of individual things each of them do, but I also found it hard to say any of them were a total package for me. For instance, I hated the hook blade and bomb crafting in Rev, the way blank expansions of desert in Origins, thought London as a bit of a pain to navigate after awhile, amd never could really warm up to Cormac's personality.

I don't really hate any of the Asscreeds.

As for Odyaaey, I loved most of the tweaks they did to the equipment and combat variations of weapons from Origins, and being an avid reader of Herodotus and Thucydides that ancient setting was pretty much tailor made to scratch my itch, much like the 12 century Palastine/Syria did in the first game.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I've only played the literal top 5 of that list (plus the original), but it seems ok?
    I personally would have AC2 as #2 or #3 and drop the Odyssey down to #4

Origins is the best one.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Odyssey
    Brotherhood
    Black Flag
    Rogue
    Revelations
    Syndicate
    Origins
    Unity

I found the challenge tombs and a lot of the NPCs in 2 to be annoying and also never really clicked with Leo that much. The intro of multiplayer and the brotherhood mechanic were really great additions to the gameplay and I loved undermining the Borgias.

Rogue through Origins are pretty much a 4 way tie for 4th. I love a lot of individual things each of them do, but I also found it hard to say any of them were a total package for me. For instance, I hated the hook blade and bomb crafting in Rev, the way blank expansions of desert in Origins, thought London as a bit of a pain to navigate after awhile, amd never could really warm up to Cormac's personality.

I don't really hate any of the Asscreeds.

As for Odyaaey, I loved most of the tweaks they did to the equipment and combat variations of weapons from Origins, and being an avid reader of Herodotus and Thucydides that ancient setting was pretty much tailor made to scratch my itch, much like the 12 century Palastine/Syria did in the first game.

Ah, I was always more of a fan of Roman history than Greek so that may be why Origins clicked for me (especially since it showed an area on the edge of conquest and really hammered home the“ Romans are not your friends” factor). That mixed with the egyptian monuments/afterlife stuff meant it was a pretty amazing setting for me.

Odessey is really good though, the setting just didn’t click for me as much. Kassandra is really a great protagonist (Alexios is... ok, but it was pretty clear Kassie was the canon protagonist and Alexios was just there for the bros).

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Syndicate
    Brotherhood
    Black Flag
    Odyssey
    Origins
    Revelations
    Rogue

Unity

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    I don’t mean anything by this I swear. I’m genuinely curious. Why do you rate Rogue so low? I honestly still consider it the best of the entire series, particularly in context of the other games. The only negative for me is that by the time you get to Rogue, the collection quests (chests, etc.) that require you to literally sail everywhere gets very tiresome after 3-4 games of that.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I don’t mean anything by this I swear. I’m genuinely curious. Why do you rate Rogue so low? I honestly still consider it the best of the entire series, particularly in context of the other games. The only negative for me is that by the time you get to Rogue, the collection quests (chests, etc.) that require you to literally sail everywhere gets very tiresome after 3-4 games of that.

I've tried playing it 4 or 5 times and just can't get into it. Everything about it feels like an inferior Black Flag.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    But of course there are no bad Assassin's Creed games. Just less good ones.

Except Unity.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I haven't played unity. What makes it so good?

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

It launched really buggy so it has one of the worst reputations in the series. But honestly is has one of the most interesting settings, the only game to feature campaign co-op, and was the last "traditional" style AC game before Syndicate took the series in a new, RPG style direction

• Options

I like Rogue's plot, but I also feel it's rushed. Also, Rogue owes literally everything to Black Flag and all of its changes from that game are for the worse (cold environments are less interesting to me than warm ones, I hate taking damage from the water, 4 pistols are more fun than the OP grenade launcher, I prefer Black Flag's ship, etc).

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I played Unity long after all the major egregious bugs were finally ironed out, which no doubt are clouding opinions on it (but rightfully so).

It was... fine. It has nothing going for it though. Maybe if you know about and have a thing for the French Revolution, but as somebody who knows next to nothing about it, it all just washed over me.

That last reason though is why I suspect that III ranks so highly among people. Because they know about the American Revolution, so the... "history" of the game hits with more impact.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Well also, it's one of the few games with a Native American protagonist, something we need more of in media

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well also, it's one of the few games with a Native American protagonist, something we need more of in media

Sure, but he was also kind of a dip throughout the game. Hooray for representation, but if you were ranking the top AC protags, I'd be surprised if Connor made the top 5.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    LD50 wrote: »

It launched really buggy so it has one of the worst reputations in the series. But honestly is has one of the most interesting settings, the only game to feature campaign co-op, and was the last "traditional" style AC game before Syndicate took the series in a new, RPG style direction

Yes, Paris is an interesting setting.

Which Unity almost ruined by being the boringest game with the boringest boretagonist that ever bored boringly in a boregame of boregalactic boreboretions.

I also don’t really feel like Unity and Syndicate are significantly different other than that they thankfully removed some of the bloat that Unity introduced, like co-op.

I don’t mean to harp but I just wanted to reiterate my feelings about Unity since they have nothing to do with the bugginess. I played it start to finish about a year after release, after the bugs were fixed.

edit: Unity is not my least favorite AC. It’s below average on my list but I don’t really have any feelings towards it unless apathy is a feeling. But I feel like it isn’t. It’s the absence of feeling. Unity is like a giant feast that you immediately forget about after you’re done eating, having left no impression on you whatsoever.

Drez on
  • Options

Sure, but he was also kind of a dip throughout the game. Hooray for representation, but if you were ranking the top AC protags, I'd be surprised if Connor made the top 5.

Eh, his story was more of a revenge story. Doesn't help the DLC wasn't used to tie up the character's arc, but instead a What If about God King Washington. Ezio got three games to flesh out his story, as a follow up to that it was a let down.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the big problem with Unity was that Arno was dull, in both senses of the word.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Elise was the real protagonist of unity

steam_sig.png