As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Brutal Deluxe

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Brutal Deluxe

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• SirBillSirBill Denver, CORegistered User regular
    That middle panel with Gabe running carefree and naked, with PS symbols scrawled on his body is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while - and I read Penny Arcade every day!

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yep. Middle panel's art made my day.

A text-free version of that would be awesome.

• GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    I kind of wonder if they had several possible strips for today - one for if it was good, one for if they had a XB1 reveal level blunder. Comics take a lot longer to make than the amount of time they've had since the reveal.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Grendus wrote: »
    I kind of wonder if they had several possible strips for today - one for if it was good, one for if they had a XB1 reveal level blunder. Comics take a lot longer to make than the amount of time they've had since the reveal.

I think this would have been even funnier if it was an XB1 level blunder. Remember, after that flop there were still a lot of people online talking about how much better the Xbone looked than the PS4 and nobody *really* cares about that stuff anyway because reasons and...

Well, honestly their claims were kind of born out by the collapse of Gamestop and sales going more and more digital every year since.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

I think this would have been even funnier if it was an XB1 level blunder. Remember, after that flop there were still a lot of people online talking about how much better the Xbone looked than the PS4 and nobody *really* cares about that stuff anyway because reasons and...

Well, honestly their claims were kind of born out by the collapse of Gamestop and sales going more and more digital every year since.
    Some ideas are just before their time:
    olod4qgnzvyz.jpg

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

It's possible there were one or two other things wrong with Gamestop.

Wait, wait, hear me out.

• KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    I'm kinda a hardcore Sony Fan and Im still not sold on it day one, I mean its pretty and all and there's some cool stuff in development, but 1, No confirmed price tag yet, and 2. What games are going to be ready with Day one exactly?

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yep. Middle panel's art made my day.

A text-free version of that would be awesome.

Get it as a decal for those weird white fin things the console has got

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    SirBill wrote: »
    That middle panel with Gabe running carefree and naked, with PS symbols scrawled on his body is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while - and I read Penny Arcade every day!
    I like that Gabe shows some thigh, so you know it's not just a shirts off affair, but cock and balls are out and on display.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    zepherin wrote: »
    I like that Gabe shows some thigh, so you know it's not just a shirts off affair, but cock and balls are out and on display.

Joystick & touchpad.

MichaelLC on
  • OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Headcanon is that Gabe painted his fellas as the home button. Question is, what has painted to resemble the shoulder buttons

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular

Not that I disagree, but judging by his backward lean, I don't think he's running. He's high-stepping, like a triumphant marching band leader. Or a majestic horse.

we7ek91hy97o.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Possibly Gabe is Prancercising

https://youtu.be/o-50GjySwew

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    KagatoAC wrote: »
    I'm kinda a hardcore Sony Fan and Im still not sold on it day one, I mean its pretty and all and there's some cool stuff in development, but 1, No confirmed price tag yet, and 2. What games are going to be ready with Day one exactly?

I’m not sold on any console day one. Particularly as history is repeating itself, with none of the 100% confirmed launch titles to date, on either system, interesting me in the slightest. But I’m looking forward to the Demons Souls remake, when it arrives.

The commitment to backwards compatibility on the part of MS is encouraging, but as my Xbox One library mostly consists of Rare Replay, the Master Chief Collection, and BC versions of my 360 games, this is probably not going to enter into my buying decision.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Ringo wrote: »
    Possibly Gabe is Prancercising

https://youtu.be/o-50GjySwew

Tube plz stop this erotic garbage. I was ensured this was a christian forum. I'm too turned on

doompooky on
    we7ek91hy97o.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular

Early adopters get fucked. Every time. They pay the most and get the least, and by the time their investment feels "worth it" chances are the unit's dropped $50-100. If they don't get the brunt of technical issues (last two generations of Xbox and PlayStation) and are ok with playing a year of last gen games ported over to fill the library, they're rolling the dice that the console never fulfils its promise (Wii saw a ton of cancellations in games announced before launch and the Wii U's library never materialized).

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

Early adopters get fucked. Every time. They pay the most and get the least, and by the time their investment feels "worth it" chances are the unit's dropped $50-100. If they don't get the brunt of technical issues (last two generations of Xbox and PlayStation) and are ok with playing a year of last gen games ported over to fill the library, they're rolling the dice that the console never fulfils its promise (Wii saw a ton of cancellations in games announced before launch and the Wii U's library never materialized).

Strangely, the only exception in this industry seems to be Kickstarter. Of course, Kickstarter burns a lot of people, but when a project does launch, the adopters who sponsored it tend to get a bunch of bonus stuff and usually at a better price than retail*. Whereas with traditional launches, just like you said, the adopters who are the sole reason ba launch gets off the ground are the ones who get punished for doing it.

And you know there's a problem when Kickstarter looks like a safe bet in comparison.

[*This is probably more true of physical games than video games though. Stretch goals in video games tend to make it into the base retail product, and eventually the price drops because it's a digital product. Physical games do a better job of incentivizing early adoption because the retail version stays at a higher price, if it's available at all]

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular

When it comes to consoles, I think that’s a bit strong.

Early adopters of the Dreamcast were ultimately let down by a lack of wider consumer interest in that system, but they were playing some amazing games for the time. Even those ported to newer and more popular consoles often looked and played better on the DC.

There was the 360, sure, where the hardware was trash at the outset, something Microsoft took a long time to mitigate with their warranty and even longer to correct in the design. But that seems like the outlier.

Early adopters of the PS3, if they could afford the system and when they could find one to purchase, could play their entire PlayStation library on that behemoth, a feature missing from the more svelte (and cheaper) iterations to follow. The price point and no rumble were the issues there.

As for the current generation, a launch Xbox One was a big freaking box that STILL had the power brick on the outside, but works fine. The PS4 at launch looked like its own Slim version already, and again, works fine now. The harshest criticism we can level at these consoles is the dull library of launch titles available for either. And that trend looks set to continue.

And were all rather excitedly connecting these to a TV. Which is where it can be said, even more so than of consoles, that holding off for a while guarantees a lower price point (possibly making $50 to $100 seem tame in comparison) for better features.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • ProwlingmonkeyProwlingmonkey Registered User regular
    Can't wait for 5 years of calling stuff for current hardware "Next Gen"

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Can't wait for 5 years of calling stuff for current hardware "Next Gen"

I know this is going to happen. But as soon as the new systems are out they become current gen and the previous gen becomes last gen. At least that is how I feel it should be. *sigh*

GDT1985 on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I buy most of my consoles day 1 and have never once felt like I missed out or it was the wrong decision.

People are looking for different stuff and have different values.

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    I like the look of the new console. The PS5 reminds me of a book. I could easily see someone modding it to look like one. :D

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I like the look of the new console. The PS5 reminds me of a book. I could easily see someone modding it to look like one. :D

Maybe a Book of Eli, because you'd have to be blind to like it...

• SirBillSirBill Denver, CORegistered User regular
    1) Thank you @Ringo for Prancersize!

2) I'm kind of thinking the very early adopters get a bit less of a deal than later ones, as stated the price of the console goes down... but part of why I might wait, is I never end up with the cool bundle consoles that have graphics all over them.

So this time, I am very tempted to wait until a console comes out as a bundle with either Star Wars or Horizon themed box. It probably won't even be cheaper, I've just always wanted the experience. Maybe we'll see a launch PS5 with Squadron that has X-Wings or something...

The only difference between early adoption and late is how soon you get something. If you wanted, you could just get all hardware/software five years after it came out (well, apart from online stuff where the service may be shut down by that time). You would always save a ton, and get bug fixes/hardware revisions.

So really, it's a question of how much is it worth to you to have something sooner. Same thing when you're decided to pay for expedited shipping for something you don't actually need right away. You make the call on whether it's worth shortening the wait because you just gotta have it right now.

This is the driving force behind early adopters. They put a financial price on having advanced technology sooner. They don't get "fucked" in that they decided their money was "worth it" for that early access.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    The only difference between early adoption and late is how soon you get something. If you wanted, you could just get all hardware/software five years after it came out (well, apart from online stuff where the service may be shut down by that time). You would always save a ton, and get bug fixes/hardware revisions.

So really, it's a question of how much is it worth to you to have something sooner. Same thing when you're decided to pay for expedited shipping for something you don't actually need right away. You make the call on whether it's worth shortening the wait because you just gotta have it right now.

This is the driving force behind early adopters. They put a financial price on having advanced technology sooner. They don't get "fucked" in that they decided their money was "worth it" for that early access.

Yup!

This is exactly it. That choice to have it early is worth the cost. I also buy just about every game I want day 1. I generally have nothing left to play and am just waiting for the next release. So saving a few dollars is never worth spending more time with nothing to play for me.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I generally have nothing left to play and am just waiting for the next release. So saving a few dollars is never worth spending more time with nothing to play for me.

(Looks at my six months of Humble Monthly games from that time I forgot to unsubscribe)

This 'nothing-left-to-play' you speak of...is it possible to learn this power?

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I generally have nothing left to play and am just waiting for the next release. So saving a few dollars is never worth spending more time with nothing to play for me.

(Looks at my six months of Humble Monthly games from that time I forgot to unsubscribe)

*sweats in itch.io racial justice bundle*

Have no kids and not generally be into indie games.

The magic combo!

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    "DENNIS / JUNE 14

This is the driving force behind early adopters. They put a financial price on having advanced technology sooner. They don't get "fucked" in that they decided their money was "worth it" for that early access."

Hardware issues and revisions alone tend to give significant benefits to late adopters over early ones who end up being the guinea pigs/beta testers. The people who adopt later don't have to buy the same system twice just because the first one caught on fire/power failure/bricked by an update among other things. That isn't to say there are not benefits like the original vita screen, ps3 bc and wii bc for early adopters. But generally there are more pros for getting the second version or later of systems and or waiting.

One positive is there are deals/discounts to be had for systems and bundles on occasion that can knock the price down. My switch for example I got bundled with smash from newegg for 81$ off iirc through rakuten since I stacked their promo coupons with neweggs sale.

edited June 2020
    "DENNIS / JUNE 14

This is the driving force behind early adopters. They put a financial price on having advanced technology sooner. They don't get "fucked" in that they decided their money was "worth it" for that early access."

Hardware issues and revisions alone tend to give significant benefits to late adopters over early ones who end up being the guinea pigs/beta testers. The people who adopt later don't have to buy the same system twice just because the first one caught on fire/power failure/bricked by an update among other things. That isn't to say there are not benefits like the original vita screen, ps3 bc and wii bc for early adopters. But generally there are more pros for getting the second version or later of systems and or waiting.

One positive is there are deals/discounts to be had for systems and bundles on occasion that can knock the price down. My switch for example I got bundled with smash from newegg for 81$ off iirc through rakuten since I stacked their promo coupons with neweggs sale.

Again, you're only listing the downsides. For early adopters, simply being able to experience the new as soon as possible (when its "new" amount is highest) has value, and outweighs the downsides. "New" has value to them. You're proving "if I had bought it early, it wouldn't be worth it to me". That's not that same as "if an early adopter had bought it early, it wouldn't be worth it to them."

dennis on