As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twitter Continues To Have A [Twitter] Problem

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I mean we definitely do have ways to do it. Individually you sit in a position of power where you could make it not standard practice to invade people's private lives. People could stop treating massive personal invasions as the norm, but I guess we gotta just lean into the cyberpunk dystopia at this point.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    I mean we definitely do have ways to do it. Individually you sit in a position of power where you could make it not standard practice to invade people's private lives. People could stop treating massive personal invasions as the norm, but I guess we gotta just lean into the cyberpunk dystopia at this point.

You can’t though, as an employer. The liability is too high, and often so are the stakes as a moral employer. If I hire someone to work with students who has a history of racist proclamations and calls for minorities to not get equal education on his twitter it could have huge repercussions for both the students directly affected and the school as a whole. All of which could be avoided with five minutes of research.

Several schools in my university system are dealing with issues of this exact problem right now because a faculty member was hired without being searched for off campus publications and social media back in the early 2000s before the ramifications were realized. He’s published garbage for years and have marginalized student the entire time and managed to stay just on this side of employed by hiding it in the classroom just enough to not be noticed. Recently his nonsense caused dozens of former atudents and current faculty to cone forward with harassment claims after the fact. All of which could have been avoided if his pro klan publications had been noticed before hire.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I remember James Gunn had his firing from Guardians of the Galaxy vol 3. over something similar. Also because it was tweets taken out of context and made worse by selective highlighting.

Honestly if we don't give people a chance to redeem themselves they will have no incentive to change. Sometimes that only happens when they are confronted with what they said and given a chance to apologize.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I’m so glad this thread gets a hard reset soon

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Until we have a collective shift in the scope with which we views peoples actions, it's better to never ever admit anything and to conceal everything all the time. The people in control of everything right now get to pretend they've never said or done anything wrong because they didn't have Twitter when they were 23. It's going to take at least a full generation of mistakes and understanding the nature of having a permanent record of your stupid thoughts on display for it to stop being something that immediately disqualifies you from being taken as a good person.

If someone in the Black Lives Matter movement or current protests decides to Tweet, "Fuck the police! #smashthestate" misses out on an internship or gets denied entry to law school or something, we are all worse off for it and society has failed. Especially if they're 14 now and in 10 years are trying to get into grad school.

dispatch.o on
    Ok, sure. How?

Keep in mind the legal, logical, and operational momentum that has pushed us to where we are in your solution.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Or, better yet, don’t be awful on the internet and be compassionate and willing and proud to own everything you write against the eyes of history. Which is easy enough to say as an ideal but not an easy road for anyone to walk 24/7.

That's a great way to be, but not everybody is issued their sainthood at birth. We have a statute of limitations on everything short of murder. And now tweets. Murder and tweets, that very apples to apples comparison.

Is this what we get for attacking and dethroning God? Now Twitter steps in and judges our immortal souls? Yuck.

The internet isn’t a government nor law based judicial system. It cannot forgive or forget. There is no absolution, only what was stupidly posted and what wasn’t. Twitter isn’t the arbiter of our souls, its far worse than that. The court of public opinion judges us and destroys us at the whims of any single user.

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »

You can’t though, as an employer. The liability is too high, and often so are the stakes as a moral employer. If I hire someone to work with students who has a history of racist proclamations and calls for minorities to not get equal education on his twitter it could have huge repercussions for both the students directly affected and the school as a whole. All of which could be avoided with five minutes of research.

Several schools in my university system are dealing with issues of this exact problem right now because a faculty member was hired without being searched for off campus publications and social media back in the early 2000s before the ramifications were realized. He’s published garbage for years and have marginalized student the entire time and managed to stay just on this side of employed by hiding it in the classroom just enough to not be noticed. Recently his nonsense caused dozens of former atudents and current faculty to cone forward with harassment claims after the fact. All of which could have been avoided if his pro klan publications had been noticed before hire.

Plausibly, there are some professions that involve a degree of public trust which could justify that kind of personal research, and where the results of personal research could be disqualifying. I'd say such professions involve making subjective judgments, with substantial impacts on others life prospects, and with limited oversight being feasible. Teachers' grading plausibly falls under that rubric, as would e.g. police officers' use of force, or judges' rulings on matters of law. In some cases, as in yours, a record can be constructed which shows discriminatory decisions being made. But it is arguable that due to the sensitivity of the position, it is reasonable to exclude people from employment in advance of such a record just on the strength of extracurricular red flags, should they be egregious enough.

But I would not generalize the precautions that make sense with those professions to others; food service workers, freelance graphic designers, actors, mail carriers, and all sorts of other professions do not involve the same exercise of largely unaccountable power over others as do teachers, police, or judges. Even within academia, many employees are not substantially or routinely involved in grading or supervising academic projects. In those cases, I don't see how researching employees' backgrounds could plausibly be construed as necessary for ensuring anyone's rights to an equal education (or their rights to not be subject to arbitrary force, or capricious rulings, or...).

I would also strongly distinguish pro Klan publications from tasteless tweets in terms of what counts as disqualifying evidence with respect to those positions that do have a public trust component.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    That doesn’t sound evil to me.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    That doesn’t sound evil to me.

Nothing in that was evil really, no

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think Disney's evil is more the other stuff.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's an example of the not stupid.

Jack was/is a member of the Disney board??? The fuck?

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    interconnectedness-board.png
    They're all the same rich people

Coinage on
    Coinage wrote: »

I get this, what I don’t get is Twitter being treated like a real, profitably company (it’s not on that infographic)

It’s still just a pile of money-burning turds led by a giant dumbfuck

My 20 month old hasn’t tried selling lemonade for an afternoon yet but when she does she’ll be more profitable than Twitter (or Uber or...)

All Twitter has is a user base of people who all hate each other

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I get this, what I don’t get is Twitter being treated like a real, profitably company (it’s not on that infographic)

My 20 month old hasn’t tried selling lemonade for an afternoon yet but when she does she’ll be more profitable than Twitter (or Uber or...)

That's why you get smart and invest in an actually successful evil megacorp.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

That's why you get smart and invest in an actually successful evil megacorp.

Who says that Twitter hasn't been a successful evil megacorp? The fact that much of the value is going to hate groups rather than investors just means that they're even better at their job.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

CEOs are routinely appointed to the board of directors of other companies in a system that's more incestuous than Game of Thrones.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Uhhh, Twitter turned profitable in the first quarter of 2018?

Burtletoy on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

CEOs are routinely appointed to the board of directors of other companies in a system that's more incestuous than Game of Thrones.
    Isn't that because they're chosen by the majority shareholders?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

Same people/hedge fund managers

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

Boards are elected by shareholders, but the slates are put forth by the corporate leadership. For the most part, the election is more or less a rubber stamp,and when it's not, that's usually a sign of trouble for the company in question.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Uhhh, Twitter turned profitable in the first quarter of 2018?

Yeah, twitter makes money now. 1.5B net profit in 2019.

Lots of people use the default client and see the ads.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Sorry to bump this overripe thread, but this is kinda significant.

Alleged "comedian" and noted transphobic pile of decaying human matter Graham Linehan (Twitter handle Glinner) has been banned by Twitter for violations of their rules.

4cUlAWz.png

Graham Linehan is perhaps best known these days for being a tremendous TERF, and getting stupendously dunked on by the internet that one time he tried to organize a transphobic campaign against transgender youth, and instead inspired a Donkey Kong fueled marathon stream with an allstar cast that helped raise over $347,000 for UK transgender charity Mermaids. Graham regularly weaponized his Twitter feed to send scores of writhing CHUDs at various trans supporting targets.

No word on whether or not this ban is permanent, but I certainly hope so. Good riddance, Graham, you repugnant, hate filled, bigotry homunculus.

Does this mean Twitter will start enforcing the rules? No real way to tell, but this is a higher profile ban than they've been willing to swing at for a while.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Sorry to bump this overripe thread, but this is kinda significant.

Alleged "comedian" and noted transphobic pile of decaying human matter Graham Linehan (Twitter handle Glinner) has been banned by Twitter for violations of their rules.

4cUlAWz.png

Graham Linehan is perhaps best known these days for being a tremendous TERF, and getting stupendously dunked on by the internet that one time he tried to organize a transphobic campaign against transgender youth, and instead inspired a Donkey Kong fueled marathon stream with an allstar cast that helped raise over $347,000 for UK transgender charity Mermaids. Graham regularly weaponized his Twitter feed to send scores of writhing CHUDs at various trans supporting targets.

No word on whether or not this ban is permanent, but I certainly hope so. Good riddance, Graham, you repugnant, hate filled, bigotry homunculus.

Does this mean Twitter will start enforcing the rules? No real way to tell, but this is a higher profile ban than they've been willing to swing at for a while.

Absolutely not in any consistent way whatsoever.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Reddit just purged a lot of its toxic subs, apparently.

T_D (already a ghost town), gendercritical (TERFs), ConsumeProduct (apparently fascist-flavored anti-corporatism), ChapoTrapHouse (left-wing sub built around the podcast of the same name, but the CTH subreddit became a different beast from the podcast as I understand it, had a growing pop of tankies posting crazy shit) are the ones I see mentioned the most, but apparently it was like 2,000 of them.

Also seeing that YouTube has banned Stefan Molyneux and Richard Spencer.

Twitch banned Trump, I guess?

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Okay 2020, where's the other shoe?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Given everything that went down in 2016, I'd say that this is the other shoe.

Our problem is that we know that several new pairs have been purchased and a rocking chair or three. And seeing as we're all long-tailed cats, our nerves are shot.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Here's their general statement and reasoning

https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/hi3oht/update_to_our_content_policy/

Looks like they've taken on a new board member known for promoting inclusion in tech startups.

The various company officers each spoke with community mods to get feedback, with them acknowledging they need the volunteer moderators to be successful in implementing new policy.

Immediate actions besides the subreddit deletions include making the reporting more visible, testing a rate limit for mod mail to help cut back harassment, and increasing available moderator tools. They're also going to make innocuously named but toxic subreddits available to those that would like to create subs about what the name suggests instead of cover for racism and sexism.

They're implementing more stuff in the future based on mod feedback, such as letting mods see karma posters accrue in their specific community and revamping the report queue.

This is a very nice surprise.

Quid on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It’s a decent move to have both volunteer moderation amongst a wide range of unrelated topics, and a larger acting body ensuring compliance.

Let the communities do their own thing, but make sure they know that the punishment for failing to adequately self-police will lead to outright deleting the community.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I've been watching the site admins play whack-a-mole with those subs' laughably bad attempts to set up ban-evasion subs all afternoon and it's kind of great.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Given everything that went down in 2016, I'd say that this is the other shoe.

Our problem is that we know that several new pairs have been purchased and a rocking chair or three. And seeing as we're all long-tailed cats, our nerves are shot.

Yeah, this has already been a tap-dancing centipede of a year.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Here's their general statement and reasoning

https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/hi3oht/update_to_our_content_policy/

Looks like they've taken on a new board member known for promoting inclusion in tech startups.

The various company officers each spoke with community mods to get feedback, with them acknowledging they need the volunteer moderators to be successful in implementing new policy.

Immediate actions besides the subreddit deletions include making the reporting more visible, testing a rate limit for mod mail to help cut back harassment, and increasing available moderator tools. They're also going to make innocuously named but toxic subreddits available to those that would like to create subs about what the name suggests instead of cover for racism and sexism.

They're implementing more stuff in the future based on mod feedback, such as letting mods see karma posters accrue in their specific community and revamping the report queue.

This is a very nice surprise.

Is this new board member the one that was replacing someone who stepped down and asked for a BIPOC to replace them? Or am I thinking of another social media company? Genuinely curious, I glanced through the post about the new board member and they seem really cool.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Huh. I have had reddit written off as a site I would never go to for a while now. I still won't go often, I never did anyways, but now I don't care as much about clicking links to it or whatnot. Good news!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Until I hear otherwise I'm still assume that the staff members who modded r/Jailbait still work for Reddit.

painfulPleasance on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Huh. I have had reddit written off as a site I would never go to for a while now. I still won't go often, I never did anyways, but now I don't care as much about clicking links to it or whatnot. Good news!

I'm mean I'll never frequent reddit because nested comments has been garbage as a board format since the 90s and it will never, ever, not be that.

But I'm also surprised and incredibly pleased that it seems like they're taking steps to at the very least make the content of their site less terrible if not the format in which it's presented :P

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Nested comments are good when you're posting to get validation from communities who agree with you. And I love validation

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Until I hear otherwise I'm still assume that the staff members who modded r/Jailbait still work for Reddit.

That guy apparently deleted his account years ago.

This discussion has been closed.