As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minneapolis thread 2: we can't use the funny haha subtitle anymore

196979899100102»

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    500 recorded instances of police violence against protestors in only two weeks, which is only 336 hours

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    500 recorded instances of police violence against protestors in only two weeks, which is only 336 hours

Also, the majority of those instances are concentrated in Democratic-controlled cities and states. That's really fucking with the "Good Guys vs. Bad Guys" national political narrative.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So I guess one of the lynchings in California took place near a city hall or municipal building, and

stop me if you've heard this one

the security cameras weren't working!!!

Man!! What an amazing coinkydink!!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Giant sentient maggot just wants to eat rotten flesh imagine if that was the most objectionable aspect of Joe Biden

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Olivaw wrote: »
    So I guess one of the lynchings in California took place near a city hall or municipal building, and

stop me if you've heard this one

the security cameras weren't working!!!

Man!! What an amazing coinkydink!!
    got a link?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Giant sentient maggot just wants to eat rotten flesh imagine if that was the most objectionable aspect of Joe Biden

I mean if the flesh is already dead, let's hear the maggot on getting rid of the police I say

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The Yu-Gi-Oh trap card meme was already going strong even in the 60s.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    So after almost two weeks of successful police de-escalation in Richmond, VA, on Saturday night a cop in an SUV deliberately rammed a line of the community bike patrol at low speed, leading to a confrontation last night at police HQ where RPD and VSP
    a) singled out Black protest leader and basically kidnapped her as a hostage to attempt bargaining down the protests
    b) unprovokedly deployed both CS and OC gas/spray

the protest/police line standoff lasted until sunrise, and this morning a large number of protestors assembled at the city jail to advocate for her release

the woman unjustly arrested last night is free and while I'm not sure if her charges he been dropped, it seems like VA ACLU is already itching to take the case

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

this is the man who was killed by the cops outside the Wendy's a few nights ago

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Just want to apologise to anyone upset by my comments earlier in the thread.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I've seen a couple reports just sort of marveling at the amount of money that bail funds now have, but I haven't seen a ton about the actual ongoing effects that are likely consequences of that.

Has anyone got a good source for what happens now that a bunch of funds raised more in a couple weeks than they'd previously see in like 400 years? Are there a ton of releases from jails? Are protesters not seeing much time? Are bails being set higher because judges now think it's easy to get out on bail?

I was thinking is that if you're always able to give everyone the cash they need for bail, maybe it's easier to claw back Sheriff's departments. A lot of jails are just holding people pre-trial, and if suddenly you don't really need to do that, you have an easier time justifying the dissolution of that whole apparatus.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    bernie also endorsed biden, his endorsement holds a lot less weight now

I mean

who else is he gonna endorse, Trump?

I don't like Biden anymore than the next guy here but I'm not going to blame Bernie for endorsing him and doing what he can to get Trump the fuck out of the Whitehouse.

But if Biden picks -Harris- then we're done for and Bernie should absolutely be calling Joe up and yelling no repeatedly at Biden. (and for all we know he is)

He could endorse no one

I've not endorsed anyone, it was easy. Most of us manage it.

Most of us don't have a name known nationally. Him not endorsing isn't a realistic thing that could have happen.

Endorsing Biden for President also isn't the same as endorsing everything he stands for. It's a pragmatic choice because the dickhead in the Whitehouse is dangerous. To everyone.

He also endorsed Hillary. Acting surprised and dismayed that Sanders endorsed Biden shouldn't shock anyone. At the end of the day, a Democrat, for all their faults is a million times better than a Republican in office.

• Options
    I actually think it would have been cool if he hadn't

Like when he lost he should have shrugged and said "fine but I'm not about to pretend that by voting for him you're going to get remotely what I was talking about" and I think people would have respected that

Biden would have probably got upset but eh

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I've seen a couple reports just sort of marveling at the amount of money that bail funds now have, but I haven't seen a ton about the actual ongoing effects that are likely consequences of that.

Has anyone got a good source for what happens now that a bunch of funds raised more in a couple weeks than they'd previously see in like 400 years? Are there a ton of releases from jails? Are protesters not seeing much time? Are bails being set higher because judges now think it's easy to get out on bail?

I was thinking is that if you're always able to give everyone the cash they need for bail, maybe it's easier to claw back Sheriff's departments. A lot of jails are just holding people pre-trial, and if suddenly you don't really need to do that, you have an easier time justifying the dissolution of that whole apparatus.

so far it's been the bureaucratic side of law enforcement deliberately slowing down, stifling, and deliberately complicating the process now that they can't rely on the money barrier

lots of reports of extra red tape and papers conveniently being misplaced, forgotten, or just not filed before random deadlines

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Bernie was the compromise. The DNC didn't want to compromise. Bernie served his purpose in helping to radicalize a generation. No one will save us but us.

• Options
    edited June 2020

Like when he lost he should have shrugged and said "fine but I'm not about to pretend that by voting for him you're going to get remotely what I was talking about" and I think people would have respected that

Sanders made the endorsement because it was something he could do to make it more likely that the shit he wants done gets done. It's easier for him to propose and pass legislation if the President is part of the party he caucuses with. I don't understand what purpose being very respected by people who already like him would serve.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

It also would have caused no amount of drama and would have been in the national media outlets from then until election days and the narrative would have been about how the Dems don't even have their own house in order.

In this case, I'm a pragmatist myself. Trump has got to go, at least with Biden there's a slim chance we can push him to the left on a multitude of issues. If Trump wins again America is in dire, dire, straits.

And you know, lets not act like Bernie Sanders doesn't have positions several of us disagree on either. His positions on guns has always been a problem. A huge problem with more than just one segment of the electorate.

• Options

so far it's been the bureaucratic side of law enforcement deliberately slowing down, stifling, and deliberately complicating the process now that they can't rely on the money barrier

lots of reports of extra red tape and papers conveniently being misplaced, forgotten, or just not filed before random deadlines

Ah I had seen reporting about the NYPD just instructing officers to not testify to gum up the works.

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Bernie can eat shit for all I care and I voted for him

simulacrum on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

I mean

I don't like Biden anymore than the next guy here but I'm not going to blame Bernie for endorsing him and doing what he can to get Trump the fuck out of the Whitehouse.

But if Biden picks -Harris- then we're done for and Bernie should absolutely be calling Joe up and yelling no repeatedly at Biden. (and for all we know he is)

He could endorse no one

Most of us don't have a name known nationally. Him not endorsing isn't a realistic thing that could have happen.

Endorsing Biden for President also isn't the same as endorsing everything he stands for. It's a pragmatic choice because the dickhead in the Whitehouse is dangerous. To everyone.

He also endorsed Hillary. Acting surprised and dismayed that Sanders endorsed Biden shouldn't shock anyone. At the end of the day, a Democrat, for all their faults is a million times better than a Republican in office.

I am not surprised or dismayed. My post was in response to another post before it that cited a bernie endorsement as a point in a vp candidate's favor, and my reply was to point out that a bernie endorsement is not actually a major reflection of character. I just didn't quote tweet it, because mine came right after.

this whole argument about what bernie should have done is taking what I said out of context in a really disingenuous way

it's putting words in my mouth and I don't appreciate it

• Options

I mean

He could endorse no one

I am not surprised or dismayed. My post was in response to another post before it that cited a bernie endorsement as a point in a vp candidate's favor, and my reply was to point out that a bernie endorsement is not actually a major reflection of character. I just didn't quote tweet it, because mine came right after.

this whole argument about what bernie should have done is taking what I said out of context in a really disingenuous way

it's putting words in my mouth and I don't appreciate it

wha?

I wasn't talking about you. Sorry if you thought I was.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    "sorry if you thought x" is not an apology

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

Good thing I'm not apologizing to you then?

• Options

no, you're just twisting peoples words then using weaselly language to pretend like you didnt mean it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I don't know that attempting to unearth the character of elected officials is worth the effort. If you think that someone's just a genuinely good or bad person you're likely to lay off the pressure which will just make it more likely they'll bend to some other asshole who's been yelling at them unabated.

• Options
    anyway more good news from the court today

• Options
    Yeah they were talking to me I think, originally

• Options

no, you're just twisting peoples words then using weaselly language to pretend like you didnt mean it

I was replying to Solar. But okay.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I was replying to Solar. But okay.

You realize that the quote tree you replied into started with TDOT though, right? Like, whether this is confusion or ill intent, that is why this conversation is happening.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    New thread time

This discussion has been closed.