As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Lives Matter Thread 3: not really about Minneapolis at this point

TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
Alright yall, this shit is still happening, so here's a thread to discuss the ongoing waves of protests in the USA and beyond.

Keep sharing news, throw content warnings up for violence, stay focused on the task a hand. Politics and discussion of heavy shit will happen, so try to mind the forum rules.

Absolutely no theorycrafting about hypothetical Californian secession allowed.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Prominent social media anarchist puts forth an interesting, inspiring theory

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    They must be referencing Stonewall, right? I don't see the connective tissue to this decision and the current protests.

3clipse wrote: »
    They must be referencing Stonewall, right? I don't see the connective tissue to this decision and the current protests.

I'm not sure, poss has been saying continued protests, riots and social unrest will lead us to the promised land for about a week

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    yeah, that's definitely referring back to stonewall, and it being a riot led by black trans women, to tie it into the current movement

other folks are pointing out that the black civil rights movement led directly to the law cited in the decision

get justice for one marginalized group, justice for everyone else follows

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Unicorn Riot's Philadelphia reporter was happily not devoured by chuds and inshallah will remain undevoured

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    yeah, that's definitely referring back to stonewall, and it being a riot led by black trans women, to tie it into the current movement

other folks are pointing out that the black civil rights movement led directly to the law cited in the decision

Black and Latina trans women. It was a very inclusive rebellion all things considered.

Gnizmo wrote: »

Black and Latina trans women. It was a very inclusive rebellion all things considered.

Nice! Didn't know that.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    3clipse wrote: »

specifically in this case it might have been less because of Stonewall and more incidentally from the black civil rights movement:

since the civil rights bills were absolutely passed because of riots

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Prominent social media anarchist puts forth an interesting, inspiring theory

i think there's something to this. maybe it's not a straight line between large scale protests and the supreme court, but there's definitely historical precedent for oppressed minorities gaining legal protection through property damage

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif

cuomo adding more rules for the nypd to ignore, surely it will work this time

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    laughable

shit like that is gonna make people protest even harder

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    like I'm literally doing a gallows-type laugh over the fact that the third thing wasn't already required

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    blue dot post nothing to see here

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry, but the police weren't required to tend to the health of someone arrested ans in their charge/ they're responsible for? What the fuck

Also data is useless if you don't do anything with it :rotate:

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

tracking race data during arrests is inevitably going to be used for further discrimination against minorities

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    What is the lag time before shooting your fuckin gun off and telling anyone about it, like you got six hours to just like contemplate the event I guess

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but the police weren't required to tend to the health of someone arrested ans in their charge/ they're responsible for? What the fuck

Correct, there have been several court cases I cannot recall which rulings state that even if someone calls the police, the police have no obligation to help the caller

The protect and serve line is complete bullshit and always had been

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Weird that it is also a tacit admission that they didn't need to provide for medical needs of people they arrested

this is interesting because the fact that they're doing anything at all is a sure sign that they're scared the protests won't go away on their own, and also these things (with the exception of the last one but it doesn't really matter because it's not like the cops care) are literally worse than nothing and won't mollify basically anyone

one of them, either cuomo or deblasio I forget, came right out and said "okay you won go home now"

they're not willing to do something yet but they've realized that if this keeps going, they'll have to

and that scares them

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Brolo wrote: »

tracking race data during arrests is inevitably going to be used for further discrimination against minorities

It almost certainly will be, but the converse is without tracking it, it can be hard to prove a pattern of discrimination. In Australia we don't know the racial makeup of our prison population because they don't record that data, so if someone says "hey we might have a minority incarceration problem" they just say "prove it" and shrug.

Oghulk wrote: »

Correct, there have been several court cases I cannot recall which rulings state that even if someone calls the police, the police have no obligation to help the caller

The protect and serve line is complete bullshit and always had been

well I think that even knowing that you might still reasonably expect they'd be obligated to take care of people they've arrested

they even use the word "custody", which in other legal contexts does require the person with custody to provide for the physical and mental well-being of their charges

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    one of them, either cuomo or deblasio I forget, came right out and said "okay you won go home now"

they're not willing to do something yet but they've realized that if this keeps going, they'll have to

and that scares them

Cuomo:

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I dunno I think you guys are being too hard on it, these reforms could work with just one slight adjustment that you preceed any kind of reforms by firing every cop at every level of every police department in the entire country and making them permanently ineligible for any sort of police work going forward.

Then I think these reforms have some chance of doing some real good.

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I don't know if it got posted in the last thread as things tend to move quick, but the two biggest police unions in CA are doing their very best "I'm Sorry" impersonation from South Park.

Edit: updating with tweet.

"California's three biggest police unions unveiled a reform plan to root out racist cops."

SJ Inside is a news org.

Photosaurus on
    "If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I mean, I was kinda milquetoast about BLM prior to this current round of bullshit

now fuck yeah Black Lives Matter and fuck you if you don't agree

so I guess I'm part of that population of latecomers. Sorry for being so late, let's change some more minds.

and that scares them

Cuomo:

it is always a good idea to take advice from the enemy

right after that he was all "what does that look like??" as though this is some unknowable question

it really reminded me of a lot of the response to Occupy, like 1) protesters never made any demands, and 2) it is the job of protesters to show up with white papers and powerpoint slides

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

and that scares them

Cuomo:

it is always a good idea to take advice from the enemy

"You were being effective. Have you tried not being effective?"

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    You can chart my opinion on cops in a pretty steady line from the childhood "Cops are heroes, right? That's what they tell me." to "Any authority that is without accountability needs to be disbanded. Fuck Cops." that I feel right now.

Undead Scottsman on
    While my last post was joke-y, it's also kind of serious

By every indication the cop culture is so thoroughly poisoned that I don't know how you navigate to the other side with current cops staying in a law enforcement capacity.

Being a cop, right now, is entirely disqualifying from being suitable to enforce the law.

I've always thought it's a bit awkward to put up statues of people who are still alive, but sure, dolly parton, fine by me, she's way more important to the culture of tennessee than damn near anyone else

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

this is around the boxed statue of Winston Churchill

what on Earth

Pinfeldorf wrote: »

oh no doubt! i still think harriet tubman should figure in on these somewhere, but i will absolutely take dolly

This discussion has been closed.