As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Lives Matter Thread 3: not really about Minneapolis at this point

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    more statues of Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass, and John Brown

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I think Churchill would prefer offerings of whisky and racist cartoon chapbooks

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    more statues of Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass, and John Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqDOWLGZWZI

i'm not partial to the dude or anything though, it's not like he's been my avatar on these boards for like the past five years

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

I love Dolly, but Ida B. Wells is a better Tennessee native to replace that bullshit.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    one of them, either cuomo or deblasio I forget, came right out and said "okay you won go home now"

they're not willing to do something yet but they've realized that if this keeps going, they'll have to

and that scares them

Cuomo:

hahhahaha oh my god

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    It would be nice if we as a society could reach a point where large scale protests are not required during a pandemic, but I'd dont think were there yet.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

oh no doubt! i still think harriet tubman should figure in on these somewhere, but i will absolutely take dolly

I stand by my "never erect statues to people who are still alive" stance.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

this is around the boxed statue of Winston Churchill

what on Earth

Looks like more weapons confiscated from protestors

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

oh no doubt! i still think harriet tubman should figure in on these somewhere, but i will absolutely take dolly

I always get mixed emotions about statues of Tubman. Like I love it. I want them. Make them! But the issue is when it comes to statues or monuments to important black women in history it is a list of like 2 names. That annoys me. Not at the people advocating for the statue, but humanity in general for not having more example. Let's get some statues of Stormé DeLarverie, Marsha Johnson, the women that made NASA work who I haven't researched enough to remember the names of and really should be available at the tip of my tongue. We got a lot of statues to build. Let's make them of a lot of awesome people.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    John Brown is a piece of history that isn't really taught

So having a statue of him might weirdly reverse validate that old chestnut about forgetting history if we tear down statues

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    what I've learned from 2020 is always be protesting

24/7 365

politicians only see in voters

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Someone wanted a source for the “security cameras no worky” bullshit surrounding one of the lynchings

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/06/12/robert-fuller-police-investigating-after-man-found-dead-in-downtown-palmdale/

“City officials said there were no working security cameras in the area”

The area around city hall

I still can’t tell if they’re stupid or they think we’re all stupid

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The problem I have with statues of important black historical figures is that we probably treated them like shit and/or murdered them so it feels backhanded

Isn't to say we shouldn't have them, it just feels like us going "Here's a statue, so we're cool know right?"

Maddoc on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that sounds like a coverup to me. Cough up the goddamn footage you lying fucks.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Also, even at the face of it, assuming it's a suicide is so bizarre. Who in the fuck hangs themselves from a tree? That's the MO of the KKK, not the MO of suicide.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Weird that it is also a tacit admission that they didn't need to provide for medical needs of people they arrested

I'm not even a cop, just a security guard, and even I'm required to provide for the medical needs of anyone I might take into custody. Not only that, I'm responsible for their safety as long as they're in my custody and I have to ensure no harm comes to them from anyone else. Why the fuck aren't cops at least held to the standard I am, which I already feel like is the bare minimum?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Someone wanted a source for the “security cameras no worky” bullshit surrounding one of the lynchings

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/06/12/robert-fuller-police-investigating-after-man-found-dead-in-downtown-palmdale/

they're obliquely saying "what are you gonna do about it" because they haven't internalized the fact that there's a lot of people now willing to Do Something about it

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    You'd think camera technology was only invented last year the way body cameras and security cameras fail so often. Weird.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Honestly while it absolutely feels like they're covering their own asses here

Having a bunch of broken security cameras around city hall that you just keep up as a general deterrent without putting in the money or effort to actually fix them does sound about right as well

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    New thread post

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Olivaw wrote: »

I will note that there are budgetary reasons for why a city wouldn't have security cameras at its city hall or other city properties.

I work at a small city's community center and a while back we kept having a streak of cars being broken into within our parking lot (a parking lot shared with the city aquatic's center and a fire department). We were informed that the city refuses to install security cameras because by law they would have to record & store all the footage from those cameras for several years.

As a result they've decided its just easier to not having cameras, full-sale.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Having a bunch of broken security cameras around city hall that you just keep up as a general deterrent without putting in the money or effort to actually fix them does sound about right as well

yeah that is very believable to me

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The Houston subreddit has a post (with video) about someone found hanging from a tree this morning. I haven't been able to find a news report or word about the ethnicity yet, so <insert appropriate disclosures about social media / jumping to conclusions>.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Yeah, this isn't actually conspiracy, it's highly likely those cameras have been broken a long time because that's how Palmdale is. I lived there for a good portion of my life, then a more significant portion in the adjacent town of Lancaster. They're both built on the backbone of aerospace, meth labs, and two mayors who are complete fucks with Ledford a corrupt asshole and Parris basically Trump Lite.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The problem I have with statues of important black historical figures is that we probably treated them like shit and/or murdered them so it feels backhanded

Isn't to say we shouldn't have them, it just feels like us going "Here's a statue, so we're cool know right?"

"Malcolm X never lived to see the government fall but the state he opposed made him a stamp. Guess that's the best you can hope for if you never give up. That your enemies will teach your corpse to dance."

Yeah I don't know. I guess the best way to interpret that sort of behavior is that putting up statues of famous figures who opposed the state or the people back then is an attempt to say that this is no longer the country of confederates and racists. It feels like we are saying that we now live in the kind of country these people would like to live in. The problem is that I don't think that is true right now. I mean we are still at this moment tearing down confederate statues. You can't honestly go from raising up confederates to raising up black revolutionaries. Maybe we should anyway. Maybe the statues we raise up don't need to be true. Maybe its enough that we want them to be true?

Quire.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Or they never worked at all; fake cameras are a pretty common bit of security theater

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    these would all be valid points in a vacuum but I'm not willing to give these people th benefit of the doubt

these would all be valid points in a vacuum but I'm not willing to give these people th benefit of the doubt

I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt, I'm saying that's how the city is because I lived there.

http://theavtimes.com/2018/08/22/palmdale-mayor-pleads-not-guilty-in-corruption-case/

Thirteen terms as mayor, his friends embezzling like crazy, no one convicted yet that I can see so they're still in their positions.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Fuck cops and forum bugs

04xkcuvaav19.png
    edited June 2020
    Video doorbells are like everywhere

How can my neighbors all be Karens on NextDoor cause they saw a shadow in their doorbell history but there’s no video when a black dude is found hanging from a tree

Captain Inertia on
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Fuck cops and forum bugs

AFBAB

Video doorbells are like everywhere

How can my neighbors all be Karens on NextDoor cause they saw a shadow in their doorbell history but there’s no video when a black dude is found hanging from a tree

You severely overestimate the general wealth level of Palmdale's population.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Justin Gray is an investigative reporter for WSBTV in Atlanta
    just told by the head of the Atlanta Police Foundation that 19 Atlanta Police officers resigned over the weekend: "Moral (sic) is at an all-time low"
    screenshot in case it gets deleted:
    n243lgl8pboh.png
    a gaffe is when you accidentally tell the truth

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Freudian slip of the fucking century.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Weird that it is also a tacit admission that they didn't need to provide for medical needs of people they arrested

I'm not even a cop, just a security guard, and even I'm required to provide for the medical needs of anyone I might take into custody. Not only that, I'm responsible for their safety as long as they're in my custody and I have to ensure no harm comes to them from anyone else. Why the fuck aren't cops at least held to the standard I am, which I already feel like is the bare minimum?

well you see, cops are above the law, whereas you're not above the law as a private security guard

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    what I've learned from 2020 is always be protesting

24/7 365

politicians only see in voters

Also, be willing to burn some shit. The media's short attention span starts drifting if there's no property damage, especially very big flames with lots of smoke.

Don't burn everything down, especially not the obvious trap, but burn down the occasional police precinct, racist statue and fast food restaurant, keep that attention up.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    So what did Churchill do that has people wanting to remove his statue? I wasn't aware of any racism, but then again my knowledge of WW2 history was imparted by American schools.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

this is around the boxed statue of Winston Churchill

what on Earth

Looks like more weapons confiscated from protestors

There is a banana. Gotta defend yourself when someone comes at you with one of those.

steam_sig.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So what did Churchill do that has people wanting to remove his statue? I wasn't aware of any racism, but then again my knowledge of WW2 history was imparted by American schools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Winston_Churchill

Churchill suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

At the bare minimum, not even counting his execrable personal views and limiting it to shit he actually did, Churchill's instigating and exacerbating of the Bengal Famine contributed to literally millions of people dying of starvation. You could make a laundry list of the shit he did and it would be longer than your arm

Dude was an imperialist monster of the worst sort. Google it; you'll find shit quickly

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.