As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Home Networking] And You

MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
I'm setting up this thread for general network related discussion. A lot of basics are covered in a very detailed, stickied thread by Hedgie HERE. It is very much worth a read, so please do take a look. I may import parts of that thread as spoilered quotes in the OP at some point, so it's more centralized.

So consider this thread to be used for discussing things like the minutiae of home networking, what general equipment brands / devices people prefer, and general troubleshooting.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    This recent post from Hedgie I think will help a lot:
    Also, if you're interested in what you can really do with home networking, I recommend this video from retrotech YouTuber The 8 Bit Guy as he goes over his home network:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev0PL892zSE

I found this to be very educational, especially his discussion on why he (a network professional) chooses more "prosumer" grade equipment for at home, as opposed to professional rackmount gear. There's also bits on Power over Ethernet and Network Attached Storage that some of you will find interesting (and if you want me to talk about these, let me know!)

And now for my personal questions:

I'm currently using an 8-port NETGEAR switch that sits on my desk. I've been debating moving things to the basement to clean things up in the living spaces. I've been considering buying a small networking rack and looking for rackmount power supplies and switches (probably used). Now based on the video above, I'm actually considering just looking for some used 16-port prosumer switches and mounting them on some waterproof plywood in the basement.

The power strips/surge protectors he uses I know I can pick up either at HD/Lowes or Amazon. They're typically used for setting up power for workbenches or garages.

I'm using the same R6790P that Hedgie uses for Wifi and I very much like it. Unfortunately, it has to hang out on top of our fridge. Right now, it's also the router connection to the cable modem (I don't think I have the terminology right. Basically the cable modem I'm using is quite good but does not have an integrated switch) so I'm debating looking for a used non-wifi router of some kind or repurposing an old TPLink router and just shutting off all its extra features.

At this point I'm just trying to minimize the number of cables running up to the fridge.

Although my wife is trying to keep me from doing it, I think I'm going to install some RJ45 wall jacks in strategic locations in the house, so I'm not running cable up through floors anymore to hook into a switch or router. Moving things to the basement in a more centralized location would help that a ton as well.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    For a bit of levity, here's a Twitter thread about networking issues that I (or anyone outside of the Catholic Church) is not qualified to deal with:

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Update: I found a Netgear 16port Gigabit switch new on Amazon for the same price as a used one on eBay ($50 US).

One weekend project and I now have another receptacle in the basement and two Ethernet wall jacks in the main computer room.

All working well so far. The cable runs in the basement need cleaned up eventually. More to come!

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Here’s my situation:

We just got Verizon FIOS, gigabit connection. We have a Nest Wifi (it was free, before anyone gets judgmental), with the router in the kitchen plugged into the ethernet jack behind the fridge (which makes it a pain in the butt to ascertain if it’s a Cat6 or what). The mesh point is on the second floor in a common room.

Tests show the router is pulling anywhere from 700 - 850 mbps, which is acceptable; I’m not going to get angsty over 200 mbps. The wifi in my room, which is right next to the common room, gets about 100. Right next to the router is better, usually in the 200s. Being next to the mesh point is actually under 100mbps. The app says mesh connection is “great.”

Fyi, I hate this app.

Just seeing if I can do something to get more speed out of it over wifi. My old place only had 100mbps, and speed test routinely hit or got close to that on the second floor, so while I’m not expecting 700+ speeds, I was expecting better. This is also my first time really doing mesh.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    What device are you using to test?
    Have you tried wifi on multiple devices to test with the same result?
    And what site are you using? If you're using speedtest.net that's fine, also check out dslreports.com/speedtest as that can give you a bit more insight to what you're looking at.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Sorry, forgot to mention it.

Right now I only have my idevices, so an iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPad Pro (2018). My pc is still not together yet or I’d try that. Speeds are consistent across devices.

I’m using the speedtest app, which is the same test at the site. I also used Google’s test when you search for speed test, and it’s similar results.

YL9WnCY.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    What's a good home wifi router? I live in an apartment complex with a lot of competing wifi signals and while my PC is wired up, stuff in the living room like the TV, the consoles, and our phones/tablets keep losing connection with our current Archer. Presumably I want something nice and fast but with a lot of power to rise above the tide, so to speak. Any recommendations?

Have you tried using a wifi analyzer app on your phone to find any clear channels? The Archer series is generally a well regarded router that shouldn't have signal drop issues.

If you want to just try something different to see if it solves your problems, I'm partial to Netgear.....gear.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Have you tried using a wifi analyzer app on your phone to find any clear channels? The Archer series is generally a well regarded router that shouldn't have signal drop issues.

If you want to just try something different to see if it solves your problems, I'm partial to Netgear.....gear.

I will give that a shot! Looks like things are pretty swamped in general so I'm still interested in recommendations. We've got an Archer C7 which is a few years old at this point so presumably I could get something beefier?

How about the 5G band? Do you have some spectrum available there?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I will give that a shot! Looks like things are pretty swamped in general so I'm still interested in recommendations. We've got an Archer C7 which is a few years old at this point so presumably I could get something beefier?

As I said over in H/A, the Archer C7 seems to be the go-to budget router. If you're looking for more horsepower, Costco has finally gotten Netgear's newest Nighthawk routers with WiFi 6.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    SniperGuy wrote: »

As I said over in H/A, the Archer C7 seems to be the go-to budget router. If you're looking for more horsepower, Costco has finally gotten Netgear's newest Nighthawk routers with WiFi 6.

But not WiFi 6e so... maybe don't. :)

I've been having an ongoing argument with my Simplisafe doorbell cam for the past month. For whatever reason, it refuses to connect to any network to pull down updates and/or complete setup. This after having it connected to our network and working fine for nearly 2 years.

I also can't seem to get it to turn on or properly charge the battery using the mini-USB plug. Tech support from Simplisafe has been decent, but they seem a bit confused as well.

I've tried even using a cell phone hotspot to see if for whatever reason the doorbell doesn't like my network setup (or for whatever reason, the Pihole isn't letting the doorbell connect). Still no luck.

I'm still digging up which server addresses need to be whitelisted, but I don't think it's the Pihole because I've had the camera connected in the past, with the pihole running. This is very odd.

My next likely step is to buy a new doorbell cam and see if it has the same problems as this one.

I know they don't connect to 5Ghz networks so if you have something sharing bands that can make trouble. I finally tricked mine by using my old phone to create a hotspot with the same name and password as my home network since it only broadcasted in 2.4Ghz.

So, switching to our Orbi has helped a bit. My room (second floor) is around 150-200 Mbps, but there are still devices like the PS4 going down to like 40ish even though the router is in the other room. The Nest continued to give poor speeds even after a reset.

Are my expectations too high? I never expected to exceed like, 400-500Mbps over WiFi, but I expected better than this.

YL9WnCY.png
    The PS4 has a garbage WiFi card, that's expected. If you can get the satellite close enough to wire it in your speed would improve.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The PS4 has a garbage WiFi card, that's expected. If you can get the satellite close enough to wire it in your speed would improve.

the PS4 also throttles a lot, at least connecting to the Playstation network and other Sony services.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yeah, I've just never been able to get fast downloads out of my PS4. My PS4 is literally 8 inches from a wifi access point, and it consistently delivers some of the slowest networking speed in my home. The only device that is slower than it is the Switch.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yeah, I've just never been able to get fast downloads out of my PS4. My PS4 is literally 8 inches from a wifi access point, and it consistently delivers some of the slowest networking speed in my home. The only device that is slower than it is the Switch.

If it's that close to the AP, can you just plug it in?

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

If it's that close to the AP, can you just plug it in?

The AP is a google Wifi, and the only ethernet jack is for my phillips hue bridge. And no, I'm not putting a switch in. I have enough cables behind my TV.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    As I suspected, it seems like gutter opinions are pretty split. Drove through the neighborhood and it's 50/50 there too, so I think my plan to wait, see what the soil and grade does and then put some on if needed is the best plan.

Networking! I am a ludite for a techie. I hate all smart devices and voice control. I think what I'm going to do is wire ethernet to the living spaces for TV/gaming devices, office, and master bedroom (2 ports in the main family room, just one anywhere else), and then just not worry about anything else. Other devices can be wireless, or I'll have enough ports in different areas by doing that that I can have multiple access points or add a switch.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Sterica wrote: »
    Here’s my situation:

We just got Verizon FIOS, gigabit connection. We have a Nest Wifi (it was free, before anyone gets judgmental), with the router in the kitchen plugged into the ethernet jack behind the fridge (which makes it a pain in the butt to ascertain if it’s a Cat6 or what). The mesh point is on the second floor in a common room.

Tests show the router is pulling anywhere from 700 - 850 mbps, which is acceptable; I’m not going to get angsty over 200 mbps. The wifi in my room, which is right next to the common room, gets about 100. Right next to the router is better, usually in the 200s. Being next to the mesh point is actually under 100mbps. The app says mesh connection is “great.”

Fyi, I hate this app.

Just seeing if I can do something to get more speed out of it over wifi. My old place only had 100mbps, and speed test routinely hit or got close to that on the second floor, so while I’m not expecting 700+ speeds, I was expecting better. This is also my first time really doing mesh.

Not helpful for you (sorry), but is there a reason to avoid / be judgmental about Nest WiFi? I'd been looking at it pretty seriously for a WiFi solution for our new home (2 stories + basement), and it seems well reviewed by every outlet I can find.

rndmhero on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So, we just moved and had to hook up our own Verizon since they weren't allowed to enter houses yet. Our Verizon setup is in the basement using one of their routers. Barely hits the top floor. Looking for info on boosting signals to 2 other floors.

Right now, I am looking to have my office on the 2nd floor and wife's office on the 2nd floor wired. My old wireless dongle kept dropping signal, so I ordered a wireless card in the meantime. Whether that works or not, I am going wired at some point.

I feel like I have mixed info on mesh networks being used on Verizon Fios. Anyone have any experience with this? We are looking at getting some Orbi pucks, but it'd be nice to hear about them first hand before spending $200+. I don't think I want to use Verizon's router since I think you have to rent it from them (and we have our own).

Basically looking for suggestions for boosting wireless signals with having Verizon mainly and I guess maybe a newer router suggestions than what we have (got it a few years ago, not sure if we need to upgrade really).

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    If you're used to cable internet (i.e. Comcast or similar), service from FiOS is a bit different. You can use your own router/gateway, but you have to interact with their tech support to get things set up properly. There's a bit of setup involved going this route but it's straightforward.

Yes, you'll have to pay the rental fee, but tech support will be much easier for you down the road.

Making the assumption you don't have TV service, you can use MoCA adapters to set up a router elsewhere in the house and connect it to the FiOS gateway. That's an option that's a bit pricey, but it doesn't involve running Cat5 through finished walls and spaces.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    If you're used to cable internet (i.e. Comcast or similar), service from FiOS is a bit different. You can use your own router/gateway, but you have to interact with their tech support to get things set up properly. There's a bit of setup involved going this route but it's straightforward.

Yes, you'll have to pay the rental fee, but tech support will be much easier for you down the road.

Making the assumption you don't have TV service, you can use MoCA adapters to set up a router elsewhere in the house and connect it to the FiOS gateway. That's an option that's a bit pricey, but it doesn't involve running Cat5 through finished walls and spaces.

Interesting. I never knew about MoCA adapters. I saw a 2 pack on Amazon for like $169. There are actually coax cables in each of our offices. Would that mean I would need 4 of them? Would it go ethernet from router to adapter, old coax from adapter to room where wire sticks out, old coax to another adapter, adapter ethernet to PC? Not sure if that whole thing is worth it or we are better off having an electrician figure out how to run the cable from the basement to upstairs (we are already having them come to do other work anyway, so it would just be tacked on).

Still not sure on the best way to boost a wifi signal to 2 other floors while having Fios. My only thought is to just get the Orbi's and hope for the best.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a beefy USB wifi card they like? I know ethernet is optimal, but it would be difficult for me to run cables and PowerLine is probably a no-go. I didn't know about MoCA before this thread, but I don't think my router or desktop are near coax ports.

The Wirecutter recommended the TP-Link Archer T4U V3 and the Netgear Nighthawk A7000, but the recent reviews seem to indicate that there are some people are experiencing driver issues on the latest version of Windows 10. Linux support would also be nice.

I'm currently using a Netis WF2116 N300, and it's functional, except that it's only 2.4 Ghz, and I generally need to disconnect and reconnect to my wifi network every time my computer starts before it will let me get on the internet.

• useruser Registered User regular
    Hello home networking thread, I have set up a pi hole as my DNS and it is excellent seeing all these frowny little scripts.

rndmhero wrote: »
    Here’s my situation:

Fyi, I hate this app.

Not helpful for you (sorry), but is there a reason to avoid / be judgmental about Nest WiFi? I'd been looking at it pretty seriously for a WiFi solution for our new home (2 stories + basement), and it seems well reviewed by every outlet I can find.
    The app sucks in my opinion, but Orbi is offering (very modest) improvements over the Nest. I’m still only getting like 100-150 mbps over wifi. Maybe I need to upgrade to Wifi 6 or something.

YL9WnCY.png
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Here’s my situation:

Fyi, I hate this app.

The app sucks in my opinion, but Orbi is offering (very modest) improvements over the Nest. I’m still only getting like 100-150 mbps over wifi. Maybe I need to upgrade to Wifi 6 or something.

Don't bother. You need both WiFi6 router and devices capable of WiFi6 to get a speed advantage.

And now WiFi 6e has been adopted as a standard, so super don't bother.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Didn't know this thread existed, so cross-posting.

My old ASUS RT-AC66U is starting to come apart and needs replacing. Due to the work from home orders my company is offering me a bit of a budget for work related expenses which would include a replacement router.

Which of these two would be better?

ASUS AX6000 Wireless Router RT-AX88U or ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Strictly speaking, the AX11000 would be better by definition. But it's also a weird, ugly, space spider. And both routers might be overkill depending on your needs. How big of a home do you have? Where is your router located in the home? What's the speed you're getting from your ISP?

Also I wouldn't buy into any of the WiFi6 hype. It's already being replaced with WiFi6e, and most of your gear is likely not WiFi6 ready anyway.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Strictly speaking, the AX11000 would be better by definition. But it's also a weird, ugly, space spider. And both routers might be overkill depending on your needs. How big of a home do you have? Where is your router located in the home? What's the speed you're getting from your ISP?

Also I wouldn't buy into any of the WiFi6 hype. It's already being replaced with WiFi6e, and most of your gear is likely not WiFi6 ready anyway.

Beyond tiny home, though buying something bigger in the future. Lots of devices (computers, smart-TVs, smart-home devices, mobile devices, security cameras, consoles, car) used by 2 people with a chance of that becoming 3 people if we move into a bigger place and rent out one of the rooms to a friend. Current internet speed is 200 Mbps.

Would the two pieces of hardware that I'm asking about be WiFi6e compatible or is there new gear coming out for that? If you say that I'm better off waiting 6~ months for some kind of hardware revision I can do that. Right now I have a rubber band holding down the broken power button on my current router that's starting to fall apart, so it will survive for the moment it just needs replacing at some point.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    6e will require some changes to the radio config, but I'm not sure how long it will take to show up in products.

a5ehren wrote: »
    6e will require some changes to the radio config, but I'm not sure how long it will take to show up in products.

Looks like Wifi6e routers will start coming to the market around the end of 2020. I guess I'll wait a bit and hope that my current router doesn't break further.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So, is it normal to have a Suddenlink/Altice router that pulls 450 mbps (400 is the service I pay for) on speed tests on my PC, but when I connect it to my Linksys router AC1200 plugged into that router (on 5g), I only pull 90ish?

The linksys router is rated up to 1200 mbps on 5g.

I prefer to use my own, but...

Bigity on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Slowly replacing old stuff around my living room and I was eyeballing the router today.

The factors:
    -Currently in an apartment so wifi coverage over a house isn't an issue yet, but assuming I want to get like 5ish (?) years out of the router, good chance that changes.
    -I have a TV, 2-3 consoles and a computer to plug into the internet. Everything except the computer is clustered in the entertainment center and right now I just have a 25ft cable running from the router to the desktop (not as intrusive to the room as it sounds :lol:)

Think my current modem's probably fine. Google tells me the model's good for 300+ MB/s and it's DOCSIS 3.0. Anything else I'd want to check on there?
    I guess going the mesh life would allow me to skip the 25ft cable I'm using for the desktop and provide flexibility in a wider living situation in the future. Any reason I wouldn't go that route?

Or should I just wait for wifi6e stuff to hit the market?

No reason to skip mesh stuff if you want to future proof, but also no reason not to wait if you want to future proof. None of the mesh WiFi6 options support 6e yet that I know of. If your internet is running well I wouldn't upgrade yet.

If you can find something under $100 with similar capabilities, then replace it. Otherwise, wait until your living situation changes (or you know it won't change for another 3-5 yrs)

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    What's the expected dropoff from going to wifi? We just got a gigabit connection, which is pulling down 700 something mbps on a wire connection, but is only getting like 300 mbps on wifi, in the same room as the router. Stepping a few feet down the hall, it drops to the mid-low 200s, and when connecting to the repeaters, it's more like 150.

I think we're using the orbi RBK50s, but I'd need to double check the exact model number. It's not the wifi 6 version, anyway, and the router looks the same as the repeaters

steam_sig.png