As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] now returns you to your regular programming.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It's also nice to see something high-profile making a point about crossplay as a selling point prior to launch, rather than patching it in later after becoming a huge enough success that Sony couldn't bitch too much, like Fortnite and Rocket League.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Supposedly squadrons will have gameplay forage shown on Thursday

steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Mmm.... delicious gameplay forage.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

Mmm.... delicious gameplay forage.

I will devour it all.
    om nom nom

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    So i've been playing Code Vein, and let me tell you about it. First of all, I recommend this for people who like dark souls-like games. It is very anime ontop of it, but it has a lot of very interesting systems involved.

1. It is much easier at the start than Dark Souls. You are given the option of an AI partner for the (almost) entire game i've played so far. This partner does very good damage, can distract enemies, and allows you to backstab things a lot more(Which give you actual benefits). If you have not played a souls-like you can definitely use this as a starter to get used to the feel of the genre, even if the controls are completely different than a FromSoft Dark Souls.
    2. There is a LOT of character creation choices. You can modify a lot of things, and can especially modify the accessories you can place on your character. You can do facepaints, change their colors, move them around the face. You can add hats, necklaces, medals, Horns, Reindeer Horns, whole slew of things. You can then move these accessories anywhere on the body. You can have devil horns from your forehead, your shoulders, your bellybutton. You can place a jack-o-lantern on your necktie, or max it out and have it on your shoulder, or sitting on your head, or as my friend did have a Jack-O*-Lantern coming out of your character's crotch as you run.
    3. The specialization allows you to unlock skills from other 'Codes' and use them on the ones you like, allowing you a huge deal of customization skill wise.

so heres how it works. As you play through the game, you find different "codes" which are basically just classes. Every code has Passive and active skills. As you have that code equipped and those skills equipped you can gain experience for the skills as you kill enemies. When you kill enough, you 'inherit' those skills and can use them on other codes. As you progress through the game you're finding memories of your allies and their friends which unlock new skills in those codes and even more codes are scattered around the maps. Ive only been playing a few days (Lots of hours in those days tho) and i've already found like 10 different codes which all focus on different things. I've been playing around with a poison focused class, and have been relying on placing traps and things which arent regularly found in other Souls-like games.

The Magic/Skill system is much more useful than in more traditional SoulsLikes. In most other games you would use your mana, run out, and be forced to fight with regular weapons until you can get back to a bonfire to refill your mana/flasks. In Code Vein you will still have to fight with regular weapons, but every strike you deal causes you to regenerate some of your "ichor" which is your mana system. Different codes have different amounts of base Ichor, but whenever you can land a Backstab or Parry/Focused Launcher you can gain extra ichor. If you're having trouble with a boss you can sneak around and backstab some lackeys until you have increased your Ichor capacity to let you cast way more spells in a fight. Its actually viable to be a somewhat more skill based character in this, focusing on casting a lot more. It also allows you to integrate the shorter duration support skills since you can recast them after you've done your regular melee combos on the enemies.

The "Blood Veil" system is their armor system. You get 1 jacket slot, and change them out through 4 different variant sets. Theres Ogre, Hound, Stinger, and Vine. Each set of armor has its own parry animation, and while Ogre is faster and more focused on parrying and melee, Vine has a slower parry and tends to focus more on Skill/Caster based stats. You can also hold down a key to cause them to do a "drain" attack which is different for every type, but will regen your ichor much more. The Ogre for instance is a giant claw on your hand you dash forward and swipe with, while the Vine is a ground targeted ranged attack that can do aoe damage to a group before you have even aggroed them, so there is a lot of choice between the armor pieces more than just how resistant do I want to be.

Along with the armor, there is of course weapons. 1h Swords, 2h Swords, Bayonets(actual guns that can fire shots for an ichor cost, but melee with their bladed front ends), 2h hammers, and spears halbers and polearms as the final set. They all weigh differently and can dramatically change your dodge animations depending on weight, but in a bigger way than in dark souls. In DS when you dodge while overweight, you just roll slower. In CV when you are very light weight you get a floaty dash and move a LOT further, while if you're overweight your entire animation is changed into an actual roll, and you don't move nearly as far. Same basic thing, the heavier you are is because you have a huge weapon, so you're playing more offensively than defensive, but the dramatic differences in rolling makes your weight a very important thing to look out for. You can also see when your rolls will change, as they show your weapons and have "quick" or "normal" as the speed of your mobility.

Things I don't like: It is EXCEPTIONALLY anime art-wise. Theres female characters wearing extremely little with huge chests, Dudes with hair covering 90% of their face and just one eye showing, wearing jackets without the sleeves on just hanging off their shoulders (Thats actually also a Blood Veil style you can wear, if thats your thing, but the option is there to hide the veils). If you know an anime trope, its probably in there, art-wise. I am not a fan of most Anime, so this was a turn off to me, but not enough to dislike the game as i'm really really enjoying the underlying mechanics.

The story so far is interesting. It hits a lot of anime feeling tropes, but its a game about Vampires(revenants) that turn into huge monsters if they don't get enough blood(the Lost are unkillable monsters, which is their explanation for respawning once you hit a bonfire) and how theres a subset of humans kept in safety by the government thats left that ration out their donated blood. The people who arent in the inner circle are left to fend for theirselves in the wild, causing Revenants to fight over things called "Blood Beads" which are food-like objects that sate their Blood Thirst. Also theres "miasma" which greatly accelerates the speed that the Revenants(vampires) transform into the lost. So thats their reason for having a lot of really stupid gas masks on most of the time.

All in all? I strongly suggest this game to those that like Anime bullshit. If you feel like getting your feet wet in an easier-feeling souls game, this one is also a great choice. If you are a Dark Souls veteran you can also turn off the AI Partner and go solo for the content, but be warned this will make the boss fights extremely difficult. Thats what i've been doing, but thats mainly because I am stubborn AF and dont mind putting 2 hours into the 2nd or 3rd boss you run into. It really fits into whatever your skill level is.

It also has coop thats extremely easy to get into, and I don't believe it has any pvp based invading.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/678960/CODE_VEIN/

also, Skip ALL the dlc. None of them is worth it from all the reviews and other players i've spoken with.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Ok, my mistake yesterday with Fanatical has paid off, the $1 copy of sleeping dogs has pushed Persona out of my mind. Arkham kung fu fighting and GTA car chases where you can actually fight back and not just desperately flee through infinite procedurally respawning roadblocks?

This shit is what I loved in Mad Max. Except when Max did a block/counter he didn't punch people in the dick and then beat them in the face with a telephone... But Wei does doesn't have a hunchback mutant with a rocket launcher in the trunk of his car so six of one, eh?

Hevach on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I fooled around in State of Decay 2 for a while, just screwing around on the existing map because I didn't have the motivation to switch maps yet (next time!).

Sent out Isy to increase our food stockpile. Isy killed a lot of things, had a good time. Brought back food. Karoz ate the food.

Then we sent out Jazz to do the same, and find more fuel. Jazz killed a ridiculous number of things. Partly because a ridiculous number of things keep showing up (each green dot on that minimap is a zombie).

She brought home a new car, which Rubycat fixed up. 4 seats, but not much trunk space. But it's super quiet. Good for scouting trips I guess. I also gave her a wardrobe change. Jazz is becoming one of my favorite characters to take out, though. She has ridiculous amounts of stamina and health. The acrobatics skill is fun (somersault dodges!), the scouting skill is amazing (see zombies further away, instantly mark all containers in a building, etc). And when she uses guns, her bullets pierce. Not unusual to get 2 kills with one bullet. She's just super useful.

I suppose next session I'll move maps.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    You're not alone, Prohass, I've sunk 200 hours into Skyrim, easy, without ever using mods. Twas during my Xbox 360 years.

I've only played Skyrim once, and it was heavily modded. Got 100% achievements too, but I did have to cheat 1 to get it.

steam_sig.png
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Not joking, but also living under a rock, apparently. When did this happen?

Last week

Well, there goes my last excuse for not playing ME2 and ME3.

Wait for the re-master like I am! :D

steam_sig.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I fooled around in State of Decay 2 for a while, just screwing around on the existing map because I didn't have the motivation to switch maps yet (next time!).

Sent out Isy to increase our food stockpile. Isy killed a lot of things, had a good time. Brought back food. Karoz ate the food.

Then we sent out Jazz to do the same, and find more fuel. Jazz killed a ridiculous number of things. Partly because a ridiculous number of things keep showing up (each green dot on that minimap is a zombie).

She brought home a new car, which Rubycat fixed up. 4 seats, but not much trunk space. But it's super quiet. Good for scouting trips I guess. I also gave her a wardrobe change. Jazz is becoming one of my favorite characters to take out, though. She has ridiculous amounts of stamina and health. The acrobatics skill is fun (somersault dodges!), the scouting skill is amazing (see zombies further away, instantly mark all containers in a building, etc). And when she uses guns, her bullets pierce. Not unusual to get 2 kills with one bullet. She's just super useful.

Have you tried turning it off and on again trying again to un-stick the questline, and/or looking for advice/fixes other places online, if anyone else has had the same issue?

It sucks you're in this position, and I'd rather you not have to go through it all again; it's plain to me your (plague) heart's not in it.

edited June 2020

Have you tried turning it off and on again trying again to un-stick the questline, and/or looking for advice/fixes other places online, if anyone else has had the same issue?

It sucks you're in this position, and I'd rather you not have to go through it all again; it's plain to me your (plague) heart's not in it.

Believe me, I have tried everything. Every hint of a solution I could find online. Everything I could think to try myself. I even used an editor and resurrected the Big Bad and went to go kill him again, but he wasn't there.

I'll switch maps, and we'll burn through it much quicker this time because Karoz is a Plague Heart murdering beast, and we are super well equipped. I'm not sure how much stuff carries over with us (e.g. vehicles), but we'll find out!

Edit: actually there's one thing I haven't tried. I think I can demote my leader and pick a new leader and it might reset the leader mission. That kind of just occurred to me right now. I may test this...

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    Anyone try Griftlands? Card-based roguelike by Klei. That sentence has all the words that make me pay attention.

I'm trying to decide between that and Monster Train (which helpfully has it's own thread I went and stalked).
    I like what Ive played so far of Griftlands. Its more like an RPG with card battles. The choices you make matter and your relationships with other characters are tracked.

If you remember the tv series Firefly its kind of like when (spoilered so nobody gets mad at me)
    Mal and the crew take a job to rob that train but then find out its full of medical supplies, so they call it off but in a later episode the guy who hired them gets his revenge for the choice they made. Griftlands is kind of like that.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Finally got around to beating Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin.

While a short game it has a fun setting with a great sense of scale that makes me hopeful for whenever 2 comes out. It was so nice to visit the Psychonauts world again.

Thanks again @IceBurner for the gift!

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    elbt0qlm5hcb.png

Do souls actually burn? Probably smells pretty good!

u2b3hfkt5k3c.jpg

Bandai-Namco's other 3D fighting game series. Fast weapons-based gameplay in questionable historical settings! What's not to love? Beyond the seminal arcade-cum-Dreamcast title, the second* game has a legitimate claim as the best in the series. It's certainly the the one I played the most, not really playing the rest of the series until SC6. The GC version had Link as a guest character, making it defacto the best version over the PS2 and Xbox and, depending on how you feel about Smash Bros., is probably the best fighting game on the system (which isn't saying much, granted, but it did have a wildass version of Capcom vs SNK 2).

*actually the third game in the series, but who's counting

3qvtkoe5hi1y.png

We're running four 1v1 CPU matches in Soul Calibur 2. The food item that each player has selected for entry determines the character they will use. Here's the full list of food to characters:
    Each correspondence is roughly based on the character's birth home, stretched into modern political boundaries without any more special thought beyond my hunger when I wrote the list. The special characters (Lizardman, Assassin, Berserker, and the console guest character) are not included.

507754b8s46g.png
    • Matches will be played in the Battle Theater mode. First to two wins advances.
    • Default weapons for all characters.
    • Standard match options: 2-win rounds, 60 second timer, random stage for each game. CPU level is set to Very Hard.

I'll start running matches and cutting match vids in the next couple days, so in the meantime, you all get to ponder if you really should have been hungry for something else.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It was a tossup between ramen and chicken adobo for me

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Ok playing divinity original sin 2. I still find it very fiddly, but the combat is at least easier on story mode than the first one. Still sometimes the pathfinding absolutely baffles me, and I can do a combat encounter ten times and it seems impossible, particularly when there’s a neutral character you’re trying to keep alive, and then all of a sudden the ai will do something entirely different on a random reload and the battle will be easy

Very much not my kind of game, but it looks pretty and I’ll keep at it.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Submerged is on sale for $2.

It's a post-apocalyptic walking/boating/climbing simulator set in the gorgeous ruins of a half underwater city. The climbing bits can be a little janky, but the atmosphere is top notch. HLTB clocks it at 2-5 hours.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Everybody's favorite kitteh simulator is getting a remaster and a rerelease.

The original is amazing, mindless fun for all ages, and this one looks to be just as much, if not more.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Looking at the current Klei sale, it's weird that Hot Lava got so little coverage or love from seemingly anybody.

Is it because it's a game in a genre everybody hates, 1st person platformer?

edit: It felt like Klei was on a roll there, with Don't Starve/Don't Starve Together/Oxygen Not Included, and then Hot Lava was in Early Access for a bit, but then no one seemed to care. Many popular gaming sites and streamers barely covered the game at all.

Double edit: after watching some game footage, it's basically exactly what it looks like. First person precision platforming, made by a guy who did a popular jumping mod for CounterStrike. I guess I know exactly why nobody cared, even though everybody loves Klei.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Submerged is on sale for $2.

It's a post-apocalyptic walking/boating/climbing simulator set in the gorgeous ruins of a half underwater city. The climbing bits can be a little janky, but the atmosphere is top notch. HLTB clocks it at 2-5 hours.

You have my attention...

Speaking of cat games, they need to make a cat version of Untitled Goose Game. Though I guess that version would just be knocking things off tables and plotting the death of humans

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Speaking of cat games, they need to make a cat version of Untitled Goose Game. Though I guess that version would just be knocking things off tables and plotting the death of humans

Isn't that basically what Catlateral Damage is? You play as a cat, knocking over as much stuff as you can.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    I.....did not know that. I guess I'll have to check it out.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    If anyone needed more to add to the "Persona 4 Golden is awesome" pile, I'll say it's one of my top 5 games of all time and that list includes Planescape Torment.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Massena wrote: »
    Anyone try Griftlands? Card-based roguelike by Klei. That sentence has all the words that make me pay attention.

I'm trying to decide between that and Monster Train (which helpfully has it's own thread I went and stalked).
    I like what Ive played so far of Griftlands. Its more like an RPG with card battles. The choices you make matter and your relationships with other characters are tracked.

If you remember the tv series Firefly its kind of like when (spoilered so nobody gets mad at me)
    Mal and the crew take a job to rob that train but then find out its full of medical supplies, so they call it off but in a later episode the guy who hired them gets his revenge for the choice they made. Griftlands is kind of like that.

I pulled the trigger last night and played around a bit. This game is awesome! The feel is very much Firefly, Borderlands, morally grey, just trying to get by, western. Choices have consequences (and man they can add up if you're not paying attention).

The gameplay is very much Slay the Spire. 3 classes that operate very differently (I've only unlocked 2). Deck building, complimented by artifacts. There are 2 decks you build at the same time: a negotiation deck and a battle deck. As you use cards, they gain "experience" and once they've been played enough you can evolve them (always a choice between at least 2 different effects). Negotiate more, and your negotiation cards become more evolved than your battle cards, and vice versa. The game follows 5 "days" which throw an RPG veneer over slay the spire's path upwards. You choose between 2 paths (usually removing the choice you didn't take, but not always). There are occasional "short time" events where you have to choose between 2 events that will go away like save a friend or acquire treasure (better cards or equipment). The day typically culminates in a boss battle at the end, where you gain a graft (an artifact in Slay the Spire).

Throughout the day the choices you make and how you confront challenges make you friends and enemies. If you get people to "love" you, you gain bonuses from them. Conversely, if people hate you (because, say, you killed their friend earlier) you gain a penalty. There are also opportunities to, ahem, remove people who hate you, in certain specific situations, without incuring further penalties.

The game is also forgiving with health, "resolve" (health for negotiation battles), and one-use cards. You mostly heal at the end of the day, and you can usually make a quick stop to get food or a drink for a low cost of credits and 2 wasted cards that hang out in your deck until you burn them or sleep. Removing cards is more generous that Slay the Spire: still costs money, but you can do it with greater frequency.

Example of how all this comes together:
    In my first play, I had to get someone to turn informant for the cops. I could have chosen a different mission, but that one looked harder, so I picked the easy one and didn't think about it. Except that the guy I had to turn (and the game told me his name in advance), HATED me, because I had killed his friend on a previous day. So when I went to talk to him, he had a MASSIVE health pool for negotiation battles due to, you know, me killing his friend. So I couldn't viably negotiate with him, and had to pick the "beat him up" option. Except we were in a bar that had some of his friends, only one of which I could buy off. So it was me vs 3 guys in a tough fight. And I accidentally killed him (thus leading to a friend of his hating me, and failing the mission, which meant my police contact didn't like me very much). Should have chosen the other option, but the game moves on....

Haven't played much to have a feel for deck builds yet, but it seems like a slightly less random, more forgiving Slay the Spire with a future/western veneer. Interest is peaked. Looking forward to digging in after work.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Disintegration came out. I will thoroughly analyze it before I explain it here. I can tell you the unit AI is primitive. Don't expect them to behave tactically. They are simply trading blows with enemies, which is, well....standard for the genre. Its more about managing their cooldowns and prioritizing targets. Also, you are deliberately designed to not be powerful. The game will punish you for trying to go Lu Bu on the enemies. You're more like a powerful Captain Olimar.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited June 2020
    I just saw a trailer for a game called Kena: Bridge of Spirits and I have never needed a game so much in my life.

PS4/PS5/PC, late 2020. Probably Epic exclusive. killmenow.jpg

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I just saw a trailer for a game called Kena: Bridge of Spirits and I have never needed a game so much in my life.

PS4/PS5/PC, late 2020. Probably Epic exclusive. killmenow.jpg

Yup.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    @HiT BiT Hit Bit! Hes our guy!

REh2EgZ.jpg

If he cant do it, someone else will try!

Speaking of... anyone heard lately how @HiT BiT is doing?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Last I remember hearing from their friend in chat they were in an accident on the way to work and was in enough pain to warrant morphine. Think that was a week or so ago?

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Holy shit. :sad:

Madican wrote: »
    Last I remember hearing from their friend in chat they were in an accident on the way to work and was in enough pain to warrant morphine. Think that was a week or so ago?

Yeah, that was the last I heard too.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Fuck, I hope they're okay.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Welp I guess I never have to buy a video game ever again.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Steam keys and just a quick glance I see stuff like Baba is You and Kerbal Space Program

Gonna have to get that one too

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Wow they literally don't even let you slide the money around this time, either. It's all charity.

Great title selection, too. I feel like some of the game choices, and definitely most of the e-book choices, are aimed at what the bundle represents, too. Though none of them as on the nose as some of the stuff in the itch.io bundle!

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Though none of them as on the nose as some of the stuff in the itch.io bundle!

The Shaft graphic novel I thought was a little on the nose.

Man there are some bangers in here:
    FTL (for those 3 of you who don't have it)
    Elite Dangerous (base game)
    Baba Is You
    KSP
    Spelunky
    Surviving Mars
    System Shock 1 and 2
    Darkest Dungeon

This discussion has been closed.