As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I feel like between collapsing state support, COVID, and an inability to recruit overseas higher ed in the US is going to look insanely different in the next 12-18 months and not in a good way.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I feel like between collapsing state support, COVID, and an inability to recruit overseas higher ed in the US is going to look insanely different in the next 12-18 months and not in a good way.

I suspect/hope this will end up tied up in court for awhile the minute it starts happening.

• Options
    Sweet, the US is going full-on 1950's East Berlin and actively making itself too dumb to survive.

I was just reading a thing about German reunification and how it didn't go as well as they'd hoped in part because the people fleeing East Germany before they closed the border were not a random selection of the population and so in they were actually less wealthy in terms of human capital then anticipated.

Brain drain out of your country is a real dumb thing to incentive but these idiots don't care.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Sweet, the US is going full-on 1950's East Berlin and actively making itself too dumb to survive.

I was just reading a thing about German reunification and how it didn't go as well as they'd hoped in part because the people fleeing East Germany before they closed the border were not a random selection of the population and so in they were actually less wealthy in terms of human capital then anticipated.

Brain drain out of your country is a real dumb thing to incentive but these idiots don't care.

It might even be a desired effect. After all, real Americans don't need those ivory tower academics.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    An educated populace is a less controllable populace. I'm never sure how coherent all these strands of repression are, because most of these guys seem like they couldn't strategize their way out of a paper bag, but one way or another they always end up treading the well-worn Ur-Fascist path.

Of course that path is ultimately unsustainable and self-defeating, but it can take a long while to get there and do tremendous damage on the way.

• Options
    Like most of their actions, I suspect this is purely "foreign bad" and doesn't go much beyond that.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

It might even be a desired effect. After all, real Americans don't need those ivory tower academics.

Yes, all those good white all-American boys go to university and come back indoctrinated as liberals. [sarcasm, but I've seen the sentiment for real]

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    It's not exactly a new playbook they're cribbing from, and could have the same results as previously seen

Chanda Prescod-Weinstein is a scholar who works on particle physics, astrophysics, feminist theory

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Which makes me wonder who's going to come up with the next bomb world-transforming tech. Definitely not us, at this rate.

(One of the things that featured a lot in 20th century history was how Germany shot themselves in the foot on this matter, repeatedly, and then reloaded. And then, after the war, the victors pillaged them by grabbing everyone they could who worked on the stuff they did do well at - mostly jets and rockets.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    https://news.yahoo.com/immigrant-detainees-say-ice-is-using-coronavirus-disinfectant-sprays-that-cause-bleeding-burns-and-pain-170426900.html
    “The guards have started spraying this chemical everywhere, all over everything, all the time. It causes a terrible reaction on our skin,” one of the detainees said, adding, “When I blow my nose, blood comes out. They are treating us like animals. One person fainted and was taken out, I don't know what happened to them. There is no fresh air.”

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    https://news.yahoo.com/immigrant-detainees-say-ice-is-using-coronavirus-disinfectant-sprays-that-cause-bleeding-burns-and-pain-170426900.html
    “The guards have started spraying this chemical everywhere, all over everything, all the time. It causes a terrible reaction on our skin,” one of the detainees said, adding, “When I blow my nose, blood comes out. They are treating us like animals. One person fainted and was taken out, I don't know what happened to them. There is no fresh air.”

From that same article:
    Some of the detainees who called the hotline identified the chemical being sprayed at Adelanto as a disinfectant called HDQ Neutral, based on labeled bottles they saw at the facility.

Safety guidelines for HDQ Neutral issued by its manufacturer, Spartan Chemical, warn that the disinfectant is “harmful if inhaled” and that it “causes severe skin burns and serious eye damage.” The guidelines specify that HDQ Neutral should be used “only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area” and protective gear should be worn while handling the chemical.

You know, open airy areas like the inside of an overcrowded prison.
    The Adelanto detention center is operated by the GEO Group, a private prison company that has contracts with ICE to run multiple facilities.

Of course.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    So I know it started before but we got to “gassing detainees” way faster than the nazis huh

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Yo also what’s the revenue growth strategy for private prisons oh god why do I ask these things

Edit: wait private prisons would want detainees to live in indefinite expense-optimized conditions though hurray?

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

emp123 wrote: »

From that same article:
    Some of the detainees who called the hotline identified the chemical being sprayed at Adelanto as a disinfectant called HDQ Neutral, based on labeled bottles they saw at the facility.

Safety guidelines for HDQ Neutral issued by its manufacturer, Spartan Chemical, warn that the disinfectant is “harmful if inhaled” and that it “causes severe skin burns and serious eye damage.” The guidelines specify that HDQ Neutral should be used “only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area” and protective gear should be worn while handling the chemical.

The Adelanto detention center is operated by the GEO Group, a private prison company that has contracts with ICE to run multiple facilities.

Of course.

Wasn't this reported last month in the Covid thread?

No less horrible now, of course.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So I know it started before but we got to “gassing detainees” way faster than the nazis huh

It sure is easy to see how the German state was able to commit all the crimes against humanity in the 30s and 40s. So long as the general German population wasn't directly impacted and they kept things largely out of sight or far enough out of sight, the population could choose to pretend that nothing was happening and even if it was, that there was nothing they could really do about it.

The scary part is not that the Nazis were monsters. The scary part is that they were normal people.

Caedwyr on
  • Options

emp123 wrote: »

From that same article:

Of course.

Wasn't this reported last month in the Covid thread?

No less horrible now, of course.

Yes I feel like I’ve been making the “boy we resorted to gassing folks awfully quick” comment for ages

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    tynic wrote: »
    Sounds like Stephen Miller finally realised J-1 visas exist

Michael Clemens is an economist and author

hope you guys enjoyed having any kind of US-based research initiatives, at all, because if they ban J-1's that's gonna fall apart instantly.

How many avenues of immigration are even left at this point?

So I see you guys talk about ICE/CBP in here, but let’s not forget USCIS.

USCIS is facing a furlough due to being without money to finish out the fiscal year. There’s 19,000 employees, around 13,400~15,000 employees who will be furloughed. Meaning ceremonies, green card interviews, asylum/refugee applications will all be further strained.

A lot of employees are pissed about this order because it’s a means of keeping their jobs. Many were thankful DACA is still standing because it generates money. However it appears that Trump is basically saying “FUCK YOU” to the agency.

CBP is also facing a furlough as well for the field offices.

Edited to add: so without USCIS, there’s gonna be damn near ZERO avenues to immigration.

Mim on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    And so the goal of stopping immigration is finally achieved. Goddamn.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Dang. I was under the impression that the fiscal year was end of June (how it is in AU), so it's only a little over a week of furloughs and shunted work. A problem, but one soon rectified.

But if my cursory checking is correct, it's end of September? That's a long f'n time to be furloughed. And it means the backlog on work is going to be massive.

So.... working as intended by these fuckers, right?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've been guessing my wife isn't going to get her citizenship test this year.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been guessing my wife isn't going to get her citizenship test this year.

It doesn’t mean much, but trust me when I say that I personally do feel bad that it might not happen for your wife.

I enjoy my job. It’s difficult and challenging and when I crack something I feel good. I also enjoy helping people (when they’re not dicks but I think that’s all of us).

A lot of us would rather keep working. Our job has been made difficult. Granted some people are okay with this, but I am displeased.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Orca wrote: »

It’ll still happen. Just suuuuuuuper S L O W.

Only 5000 employees across the nation. It’s gonna hurt.

Also the formal request hasn’t even been placed but they want employees reaching out to their senators/congress people to help.

Mim on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    time for a thread update? "What Immigration?"

• Options
    Mim wrote: »

Also the formal request hasn’t even been placed but they want employees reaching out to their senators/congress people to help.

5000 employees across the nation--it's effectively halted. Sure, you'll get a handful of people through the process, but for all intents and purposes legal immigration into the US has been halted.

• Options

5000 employees across the nation--it's effectively halted. Sure, you'll get a handful of people through the process, but for all intents and purposes legal immigration into the US has been halted.

But there’s still plenty of money for ICE to prevent illegal immigration! Funny that.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The last six months have multiplied my interest in moving out of the USA. Not just for myself but also because, if I do have kids, there's no fucking way I would want to send them through the nightmare of the public school system to face our shitty college system to compete for jobs in a market that's underpaying everybody by a solid 25-30%, leaving them struggling to buy houses in a massively over-inflated real estate market (as that is where it will always end up in in the USA).

I've got a degree and experience that would let me move probably anywhere, the only major limiting factor is language (naturally, I'm an American so I was only ever decently taught the one worthy language: American). And considering what I went through to get my degree, I feel like like learning a new language at this point would be more of an interesting challenge than a huge barrier.

And yeah, that consideration is directly because of the events of this presidency, particularly in revealing how impossible Trump supporters are going to make it to allow any kind of positive forward change in the country.

I don't blame or judge anyone wanting out. At the same time, I feel like if everyone just picks up and leaves it's giving the, "MERICA, LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT" crowd exactly what they want. When long term, both demographically and politically, all the trends are against them.

• Options

But there’s still plenty of money for ICE to prevent illegal immigration! Funny that.

ICE gets their money from Congress at the beginning of the fiscal year. USCIS gets some money but most of our money is fee based.

However, AILA has stated USCIS gave 70 million to ICE over a two year period which our current leadership denies. But ICE isn’t throwing a lifeline back.

But if the president further restrains legal immigration, our main lifeline is cut.

• Options

ICE gets their money from Congress at the beginning of the fiscal year. USCIS gets some money but most of our money is fee based.

However, AILA has stated USCIS gave 70 million to ICE over a two year period which our current leadership denies. But ICE isn’t throwing a lifeline back.

But if the president further restrains legal immigration, our main lifeline is cut.

This is most certainly intentional. Republicans hate immigration.

• Options
    If anyone wants to read the breakdown(ish) of USCIS’ finances, this might tickle tour fancy:

https://nyujlpp.org/quorum/the-case-of-the-insolvent-federal-agency-a-forensic-analysis-of-public-data-on-u-s-citizenship-immigration-services/

I haven’t read the whole thing yet, but it raised more questions in me than answers.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    If anyone wants to read the breakdown(ish) of USCIS’ finances, this might tickle tour fancy:

https://nyujlpp.org/quorum/the-case-of-the-insolvent-federal-agency-a-forensic-analysis-of-public-data-on-u-s-citizenship-immigration-services/

I haven’t read the whole thing yet, but it raised more questions in me than answers.
    The answers are predictable. Like everything else; Trump broke it.
    There appear to be two primary drivers of this staff surge. First, the administration has prioritized anti-fraud measures—in the absence of any publicly-disclosed evidence of the need for such measures. As then-acting director Ken Cuccinelli asserted in 2019, “We are not a benefit agency, we are a vetting agency.” Although USCIS provides the public with insufficient data to know how many of its additional 3,000 positions work in its Fraud Detection and National Security (FDNS) Directorate, we know that its ambition was to more than double the size of this unit with nearly 1,000 additional hires (see Figure 1).
    [...]
    Second, under the Trump Administration, USCIS has issued a flurry of policies that make its case adjudications more complicated, which reduces the agency’s efficiency and requires more staff to complete fewer cases. There are dozens if not hundreds of such policies; four of the most consequential are the institution of mandatory interviews for employment-based green card applicants (some 122,000 per year), family members of refugees and asylees applying for a green card (some 46,000 per year), and recently married couples who have already obtained a green card (over 166,000 per year)—plus the elimination of the “prior deference” policy that now requires USCIS officers to scrutinize hundreds of thousands of skilled worker renewal applications each year, even if nothing material has changed since the initial adjudication.

This buildup of red tape and government employees has led to the worst of both worlds: burgeoning payroll expenses are crippling the financial sustainability of the agency, even as backlogs and processing times have reached crisis levels.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Sounds like an area to cut some regulation

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

The answers are predictable. Like everything else; Trump broke it.
    There appear to be two primary drivers of this staff surge. First, the administration has prioritized anti-fraud measures—in the absence of any publicly-disclosed evidence of the need for such measures. As then-acting director Ken Cuccinelli asserted in 2019, “We are not a benefit agency, we are a vetting agency.” Although USCIS provides the public with insufficient data to know how many of its additional 3,000 positions work in its Fraud Detection and National Security (FDNS) Directorate, we know that its ambition was to more than double the size of this unit with nearly 1,000 additional hires (see Figure 1).
    [...]
    Second, under the Trump Administration, USCIS has issued a flurry of policies that make its case adjudications more complicated, which reduces the agency’s efficiency and requires more staff to complete fewer cases. There are dozens if not hundreds of such policies; four of the most consequential are the institution of mandatory interviews for employment-based green card applicants (some 122,000 per year), family members of refugees and asylees applying for a green card (some 46,000 per year), and recently married couples who have already obtained a green card (over 166,000 per year)—plus the elimination of the “prior deference” policy that now requires USCIS officers to scrutinize hundreds of thousands of skilled worker renewal applications each year, even if nothing material has changed since the initial adjudication.

This buildup of red tape and government employees has led to the worst of both worlds: burgeoning payroll expenses are crippling the financial sustainability of the agency, even as backlogs and processing times have reached crisis levels.

Some employees have complained about the amount of cases we do a day (when we did interviews). It feels like the agency has gone the way of “PRODUCE. NUMBERS, PRODUCE” and not actually understanding the law, and reviewing cases fully (which is important in areas where fraud is heavy). More people are hired, but then the case amount remains the same even for new officers. Training lacks as well.

Then you have these constant policy changes, which makes things worse.

But this is just field offices. Service centers are different and I can’t speak to that.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm back.

Something that didn't pick up steam at all on social media, which made me very very depressed for a good day and a half, was a SCOTUS ruling last week. They decided that asylum seekers and victims of deportation sweeps do not have legal recourse to seek appeals in federal court. As a reminder, immigration courts are one of the most severely lacking in resources and morality in our justice system. No translators, no lawyers representing people, children being made to represent themselves, etc.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme-court-eases-path-to-deport-asylum-seekers-11593094588?mod=e2tw

I get that a lot has been happening, but I feel like people have forgotten about us Mexicans & Mexican Americans. I'ma have to get louder about it as much as possible I suppose.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm back.

Something that didn't pick up steam at all on social media, which made me very very depressed for a good day and a half, was a SCOTUS ruling last week. They decided that asylum seekers and victims of deportation sweeps do not have legal recourse to seek appeals in federal court. As a reminder, immigration courts are one of the most severely lacking in resources and morality in our justice system. No translators, no lawyers representing people, children being made to represent themselves, etc.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme-court-eases-path-to-deport-asylum-seekers-11593094588?mod=e2tw

I get that a lot has been happening, but I feel like people have forgotten about us Mexicans & Mexican Americans. I'ma have to get louder about it as much as possible I suppose.

Only asylum, not sweeps IIRC. At least for this ruling, as the two liberal justices who joined the ruling made a opinion that wasn't quite Bush v Gore narrow but getting there.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    If you are in the US on a student visa and your school has decided to go entirely online as a result of COVID this fall, well, according to ICE, you will need to GTFO.

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    If you are in the US on a student visa and your school has decided to go entirely online as a result of COVID this fall, well, according to ICE, you will need to GTFO.

Jesus fucking christ, because of course.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

Love that taste of the court decision already having an effect. It tastes like the loss of future citizens who would have kept tech going.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Also has the dual purpose of trying to force universities to open!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

If you're mixed, online and in person, you can stay.

Cue a bunch of universities have courses like "How to fuck over fascist regimes 101" which meets every first day of the semester, in the quad, from 10:05 AM to 10:10 AM.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

If you're mixed, online and in person, you can stay.

Cue a bunch of universities have courses like "How to fuck over fascist regimes 101" which meets every first day of the semester, in the quad, from 10:05 AM to 10:10 AM.

You can stay provided you're only taking one(1) course online. Anything more is a visa violation.

This discussion has been closed.