As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

skate ....4???

1234568»

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, so I tried this online with a friend for a few the other day. I don't know if I'm just doing things wrong or what. I loved the online freeskate challenges in 2. just picking an area and going down the list of challenges and goofing around in-between. In 3, I'm not seeing that kind of list, just a list of all the career challenges that I have available. I didn't see a way to sort the events by area, and even when I picked a challenge from the area I was already in, it still re-loaded the area.

Am I just stupid or something?

Dirty on
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Picked this up from Goozex on a whim and quite enjoying it so far - considering I grew up with the THPS series, the controls are a little tricky to learn.

That said, it certainly feels a whole less arcade-y and a lot more smooth.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Sorry to necropost but well, some weird stuff is happening around Skate

So first, the guy who leaked Fallout 76 also mentioned a possible Skate 4 as well. As well as several ghost listings for various sites, which I originally believed to be wishful fans putting the idea out there.

But something interesting happened recently. A couple years ago EA killed the servers for a lot games, the skate games included... until recently when in something I'm not sure has been done before, EA brought the Skate 3 servers back online! Which is really strange.

Some EA devs have also posted pictures of themselves in Skate branded gear, and a pro skater even posted a picture of a 3D camera rig with EA sports branding.

Now, a reminder that Black Box got shuttered not long after Skate 3. And Skate 4 was not mentioned at E3 whatsoever, dashing many hopes of a reveal. What does any of this mean? Is this just fanboy wishing? Well the game is still popular enough that EA has to reprint copies to meet demand every few years. Nothing's confirmed yet but, hey at least we can get the Lords of Dongtown back together.

Wow ok so I don't think the Skate teams survived the servers going offline but, check this out
    0ov6rlclcxmu.png

All my old clips are still here, though it took some time to load them all. Also I can make an online lobby but, uunsurprisingly, the online is a ghost town as I'm sure not many people know the servers are back. I'm so fascinated by this whole thing.

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I'd love to see Skate 4 on the PC if such a thing is actually happening.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    There is no game I have wanted more than Skate 4.

I really hope they revive that series

Session totally had me hyped for a skate4 reveal but, it looks pretty good as a substitute in the meantime

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Session is an interesting acquisition for Microsoft. Originally it was a kickstarted last year.

It looked awesome, but the controls. Controls were just horrible. The demo should be up on their kickstarter page if anyone is interested trying it.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    https://kotaku.com/session-is-a-hardcore-skateboarding-sim-with-cool-weir-1837478631
    Session hits early access/Xbox Preview on Sept 17, I might make a new thread for this game around that time

I'm so confused, and happy. And a more than a little bitter EA is cashing in on the hype after shuttering Black Box all those years ago. It's a very melancholic feeling but I'm still glad to see it back. Hopefully they have some series alums working on the title

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Whoah, cuz!
    It's funny how his voice is so memorable after all these years.

I probably spent close to 1k hours on the original skate series. Real fun times.
    I Did lot of videos, which are now gone with the goonskate site I used to upload them.
    I still have some stuff on youtube like my last compilation for Skate 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD5dP_m3SSc

This went to my most wanted game list as #1.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    Back then it was hard to record game footage, especially since I was a teenager and had no money for a computer lol. I loved games with recording features and skate was the perfect game for it.

https://youtu.be/LAkiUlABGc4

Hope they bring back the hardcore mode too

https://youtu.be/intLhf2QWUE

edited June 2020
    Hardcore mode was nice, because you could do tricks with lower pop, that looked way more realistic.

First version of it was a bit disasters though. Instead of having no assist for grinding, the rails actively repulsed the trucks away. They eventually patched that, but rails still were bit too fickle to my taste. Other than that, the Hardcore was a perfect mode for me.

The add-on Camera tools were really nice too. You could make your own mini skate-movies by either capturing them on your PC, or just downloading the flv files from the skate-reel servers and editing them together on PC.
    Nowadays you can just stream straight to twitch with you xbone or ps4.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    C'mon, EA -- "Skate 4 Die" is right there! Two birds with one stone, revive two franchises at once!

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    There's been a lot of leaks from the closed alpha
    https://youtube.com/AopPgoogSqw?feature=share

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    It's not called Skate 4

They couldn't even get that part right.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    I mean the team that made the originals has been long since shuttered because of typical EA bullshit, but by all accounts I think the community is pretty excited by the alpha gameplay

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    they're explicitly calling out "convenience microtransactions" as something they are planning to put in, so expect a game that intentionally sucks so you're incentivized to pay to make it suck less/make it so you can play it less

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    I'll take F2P micro transaction supported Skate over no skate so *shrug*