As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well a near nightmare situation happened yesterday that my kids just told me about. My kids are 7 and 5 (toddler was inside thankfully) and were hanging out with the neighbor kid (who is 6). Apparently he went and got "his" real gun and showed it to both of my kids. I don't know if it was actually real or if it was a BB gun or if it was loaded. My kids told me that he got it from a hook so I don't know...

Now I have to have this super awkward conversation with him about it but I'd rather be safe and make sure that either it was fake or that he knows that his 6 year old is able to reach his gun and maybe he should lock it up.

Yeah; that's the right call. My hope is that his "real" gun was his water gun or laser tag thing.

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    My daughter's newest thing is if you bug her while she's busy with something, she gives you an annoyed look, flaps her hands at you, and says "Shoo! Shoo!"
    It just kills me every time.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    My daughter's newest thing is if you bug her while she's busy with something, she gives you an annoyed look, flaps her hands at you, and says "Shoo! Shoo!"
    It just kills me every time.

https://youtu.be/ulvgWoChvBU

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Well a near nightmare situation happened yesterday that my kids just told me about. My kids are 7 and 5 (toddler was inside thankfully) and were hanging out with the neighbor kid (who is 6). Apparently he went and got "his" real gun and showed it to both of my kids. I don't know if it was actually real or if it was a BB gun or if it was loaded. My kids told me that he got it from a hook so I don't know...

Now I have to have this super awkward conversation with him about it but I'd rather be safe and make sure that either it was fake or that he knows that his 6 year old is able to reach his gun and maybe he should lock it up.

Yeah; that's the right call. My hope is that his "real" gun was his water gun or laser tag thing.

This will be a good test of the kid's parent(s) in how they handle it.

Probably just a toy, but if they get cagey/defensive I'd be concerned.
    As someone who owned a BB rifle and some pistols as a kid, I'll tell you those things are not to be taken lightly.

MichaelLC on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Mini-dead has been asking for a pet of her own for a while now, so we finally relented and added 2 new furry members to our family: Salt and Pepper, the Gerbils!

We did thorough research on proper gerbil care and prepared their enclosure carefully. When they arrived, we explained to Mini-dead that we knew she was excited, but that she needed to be calm and gentle with the Gerbils at all times, especially early on, since they will likely be nervous at having been brought to a new home. Also, very important rule: no handling the Gerbils if mom and dad aren't around.

Most of the first day goes by without a hitch, with Mini-dead joyfully cooing at her new friends (who we decided to install in the Living Room, so we could supervise, as opposed to Mini-dead's room)

Supper comes around, I grill up some burgers and we eat outside. Excited Mini-dead finishes before us and goes back inside by herself.

Sure enough, within moments: Blood-curdling screams!

We rush inside to find Mini-dead tearfully running her hand underwater. The cause? She grabbed at Pepper, who let her know with a nip that her attention was unwelcome.

A kiss and a Spongebob band-aid later, we had a talk about respecting animals as well as instructions from mom and dad. Some lessons need to be hard-learned sometimes.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Could be worse, my brother accidentally stepped on one of our pet rat babies.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

It was quite possibly a real gun but the dad hadn’t yet figured out a 6-year-old can reach things a toddler can’t. Kids develop so fast.

I’d want a very serious talk with the dad to make sure the gun is safe.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Could be worse, my brother accidentally stepped on one of our pet rat babies.

We got our kid a mouse because it had been neglected at the pet store for so long. It bit my wife's hand at home and ran under the dresser, and my wife accidentally crushed it trying to get it out. I still get a really dark, sad laugh out of it because it's just such a dumb thing to happen.

The kid still thinks the mouse didn't like us and ran back to the pet store.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

This will be a good test of the kid's parent(s) in how they handle it.

Probably just a toy, but if they get cagey/defensive I'd be concerned.
    As someone who owned a BB rifle and some pistols as a kid, I'll tell you those things are not to be taken lightly.

Yeah look at this as a blessing. You've got a solid way to find out if th neighbors are people you can rely on or not.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Corvus wrote: »
    Anyone done any fishing with little kids? My now 4 year old was interested in it last summer when we are on vacation. Any good equipment or ideas for how to do it without someone losing an eye?

I'm mostly thinking something off a dock, etc.

If you were in the UK, or by the coast I'd say crabbing. Bit of ham or bacon rind on a hook or in a loop with a weight and the kind of 'rod' that's really just a spool the kid can rotate to make the line go up and down. You'll see them everywhere on any bit of beach here, along with the clear plastic bucket (which is a new development for me).

You tie a bit of string it to for when they drop it, then let them spool it down to lower the bait towards some rocks off a jetty or by some deep rock pools and then watch as crabs come to take the bait. Just keep an eye out for dogfish/catsharks as they will take the bait and pull an unready child in.
    Then spool it up, try and catch the crabs in a net for those last few seconds when they decide to finally give up the bait - and put them in a bucket of sea water whilst you try again. Maybe even with a few rocks so the little crabs can hide.

You've got to try and kill shore crabs really (though shore crabs will give it a good go if there's a big enough size difference), so an hour or so fishing isn't going to kill your catch. Crabs are even cool to look up close for a bit and they don't die if they spend a few minutes on land either.

Plus, you cook the rest of the bacon for sandwiches. It's win-win

Tastyfish on
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    My wife has been working for a while for a dog and has enlisted my daughter in the battle.

I love dogs but don't want everything of having to have one. Being permanent work from home does change things a whole lot but I want to be sure its permanent. Locking a dog up alone for 6-8 hours while you go to work is hard for me.

They are playing with my love of Bluey! Though by wanting a blue heeler although they are a fantastic breed that I know will be my best buddy ever.

We got fish for Christmas but I feel like it was just opening the pet door.

Happy Father's Day to all you dads and fathers out there.

May your day be filled with burnt toast and colorful mugs.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Anyone done any fishing with little kids? My now 4 year old was interested in it last summer when we are on vacation. Any good equipment or ideas for how to do it without someone losing an eye?

I'm mostly thinking something off a dock, etc.

If you were in the UK, or by the coast I'd say crabbing. Bit of ham or bacon rind on a hook or in a loop with a weight and the kind of 'rod' that's really just a spool the kid can rotate to make the line go up and down. You'll see them everywhere on any bit of beach here, along with the clear plastic bucket (which is a new development for me).

You tie a bit of string it to for when they drop it, then let them spool it down to lower the bait towards some rocks off a jetty or by some deep rock pools and then watch as crabs come to take the bait. Just keep an eye out for dogfish/catsharks as they will take the bait and pull an unready child in.
    Then spool it up, try and catch the crabs in a net for those last few seconds when they decide to finally give up the bait - and put them in a bucket of sea water whilst you try again. Maybe even with a few rocks so the little crabs can hide.

You've got to try and kill shore crabs really (though shore crabs will give it a good go if there's a big enough size difference), so an hour or so fishing isn't going to kill your catch. Crabs are even cool to look up close for a bit and they don't die if they spend a few minutes on land either.

Plus, you cook the rest of the bacon for sandwiches. It's win-win

I am definitely on the coast (of the pacific ocean). In fact, our closest beach park has people crabbing in it all the time. Good idea!

:so_raven:
    My wife bought a book that was custom made for me and my daughter. Talked about all the cool things we're going to do together as she grows up. I definitely cried a little while reading it to her tonight before bed.

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    It is amazing how determined little kids are to hurt themselves.

I was trying to do just a simple project in the back yard today (putting in a couple posts for an arbor). Figured it wouldn’t be that hard with the wife and I both out there, we would just bring out the kiddo too.

Setup a nice play area, with shade and many toys, on the opposite side of the yard. And of course she spent the entire time immediately running over to the whole in the ground and trying to step over it. Or picking up tools. Or rocks. Or anything really, as long as it was dangerous. Anything except all the toys I had brought out for her.

And to be clear, we weren’t putting her over there and then both leaving. One of us was always over by the toys trying to convince her to stay and play. But like the second you look away and she is making a beeline for a shovel or some such.

Boy was I foolish to think she would make it easy on us.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So US folks with young kids: What are your plans for the upcoming school year? I have an 18 month old, 5 and 7 year old. So one is going into Kindergarten and the other is going into 2nd grade... And since I'm in Ohio and the number of cases has been going up and up faster than ever. Currently our school district hasn't released their plans for the year. But it sounds like they want to do either half days or have the kids come in every other day (along with no lunch in the lunchroom, all kids stay together, hand washing, etc).

But I don't trust other parents to be as strict as we have with our kids. I don't want them to get it. I don't want us to get it. So it seems like the only option is online classes... But then how do we juggle schoolwork on top of our full time jobs? How do I keep my kids from killing each other?

• CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I'm in NYC. If our school opens in the fall I plan to send my 3 yr old to it. They're planning a number of safety measures like reduced class sizes, all adults wearing masks at all times, no adults who aren't teachers in the classrooms, more outdoor time, etc. I'm definitely concerned about it, but I also think he needs to interact with other kids his age. Assuming NYC infection levels don't drastically increase (big If imo), I plan to send him.

We're still working from home. We kind of take turns watching the kids. I think some of this has been beneficial to us all, but obviously more stressful as well.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    So US folks with young kids: What are your plans for the upcoming school year? I have an 18 month old, 5 and 7 year old. So one is going into Kindergarten and the other is going into 2nd grade... And since I'm in Ohio and the number of cases has been going up and up faster than ever. Currently our school district hasn't released their plans for the year. But it sounds like they want to do either half days or have the kids come in every other day (along with no lunch in the lunchroom, all kids stay together, hand washing, etc).

But I don't trust other parents to be as strict as we have with our kids. I don't want them to get it. I don't want us to get it. So it seems like the only option is online classes... But then how do we juggle schoolwork on top of our full time jobs? How do I keep my kids from killing each other?

The only thought I had was to maybe make a pod with another family or two with kids of the right age and share the parenting/teaching burden. But, while that makes sense in some environments, its really dependant on finding other families you can trust completely and things not being absurdly bad.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    That's an interesting thought I really hadn't considered. See if I can get a couple of other Kindergartners and 2nd graders together and have a "mini" school that my children can interact with and complete some classwork. But keep it super small and ensure the parents take it as seriously as we should be.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    My youngest hast special needs, and it seems like there will definitely be in-person classes (2nd grade). She benefits from peer modeling and there is little I can do at home for her because of her disability. It's frustrating, but there is little else I can do, she just does not do will with Zoom classes, and she only has limited patience for parental teaching. Luckily it seems the plan is for half-days so they can reduce the number of children in a single classroom to promote social distancing.

The older kid is going into 7th grade but in her case the half-days are pointless because she's already enrolled in piano lessons and advanced math outside of school and they won't even be covering things like Art, Music, Socials Studies, or Tech. so we're contemplating home schooling and only having her attend for English Language arts which both my wife and I agree we'd be terrible at.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    We're in IL.

My thoughts are that nothing has changed in 8 months, and they still seem to know very little about how it even is spread - see the NYT airborne debacle - and there's no way kids are going to be able to do what is required both because they are kids and schools are not set up in a way to protect them.

So my assumption is that if she goes to school, she will get COVID-19.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

Hello fellow Ohioan! Down here in Cinci we're at week 2 of sending our 19 month old back to daycare. Check-in procedure is: all adults masked, kids are given a forehead temp scan (anything at or above 100.0 is instant "go home for 3 days and monitor," child is handed off to a teacher/administrator along with any supplies, and with a toddler in cloth diapers that is quite a lot. Our daycare has halved the rooms and put up plexiglass barriers between the two halves. Each half of the classroom has slightly less than half the usual number of kids and teachers so they are at ~3/4 capacity. Our daycare is run for the local children's hospital staff so when my wife drops the kiddo off she can also get her temp scanned at daycare and get the daily sticker for her badge so she can avoid any scans when she arrives at the hospital for work. For pickup they request you call ~10 minutes before arriving so they can get the diaper bag and child ready for a contactless handoff and no parents ever have to enter the building.

I'm still working from home every day but my wife needs to go into the office Tues-Thur and I can't watch her by myself. We felt the procedures in place are pretty good and the staff has been excellent about cleaning and prevention techniques and has received additional guidance from hospital and Dept. of Health personnel that we felt the risk is low enough that the care, education and social interaction our daughter needs is worth it.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Our 3 year old is currently in daycare, where they're masked and taking tons of precautions. That will likely continue. Our 5 year old is currently in a small camp that's 100% outside and separated into "pods" of 8-9 with 2 adults-per. They're not great about masking, but that's somewhat impossible with the elementary ages.
    Our school district looks like they'll be starting remote, but no hard decisions have been made yet. They have been setting appropriate expectations for remote learning since the spring, so I doubt that will change. We will see how to handle once we get there though, as having to go back to half-days work-wise will be hard.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Our school district hasn't said anything about their plans for reopening yet. They did push the start of the school year back over a month but they've been silent since then.

Our school hasn't said what they are going to do either. A couple of districts around here have said that you can either send you kid full time or do digital-only classes.

I talked with my wife about the idea of keeping them home and doing some sort of online schooling but she was heavily against it. She believes that the kids need to go to school. While I agree... I just don't think there's enough people taking this seriously (even on Nextdoor there are a ton of people calling mask-wearers "sheep") for me to feel comfortable with sending them back to school full time.

I know they are struggling. I see it every day. But the alternative is so much worse for them. If I get COVID I have a high chance of death.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The local school system here (that my daughter's pre-school follows) is delaying two weeks and starting with online-only classes. They claim they will re-evaluate monthly, but we'll see.

I went ahead and bought a new laptop for it since my old Chromebook was chugging on Zoom.

• southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Near Dallas. We were given the choice of either online or in person with the option to evaluate every 9 weeks and request a change in learning location.
    Since we are a Covid hotspot, we decided it made sense to start from home and see how it goes.

New Chromebook ordered yesterday.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    NYC here. Have a kid going into Pre-K, and another going to 2nd. They were finally going to be in the same school this year. We want them to go into school when they open, so have signed up for the blended online/ in- person option. But that's not until September, so we'll see what the world looks like then. The school is probably doing an alternating schedule, every other day situation. Half the class at a time for smaller classes. So we'll see if they have the same schedule! The parent coordinator hasn't gotten back to me about my queries on the matter, but that's probably because they haven't made any decisions yet.
    The kids did not adjust to staying home well. They've been doing summer camp this month, and their moods are just so much better. I hope things stay quiet here so that things don't have to shut down again.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    It sounds like my school district is giving parents two choices:

1. 5 days a week with mask requirements
    2. Fully online classes

That's it. Those are our options. If we choose one we can't switch at any point in the school year. Fuck my life.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So this morning was pretty awesome, my 7 year old spontaneously decided to put down video games to go read. He's not the best reader because he resisted doing it for so long (really stubborn kid, some special needs) but today he just kind of realized 'wait, I'm good enough at reading now to read a chapter book by myself', and he's been sitting on the couch for 30 minutes reading diary of a wimpy kid to himself out loud. So proud!

The options have been clarified and it just sounds like they'll live stream the class which doesn't really seem like a good solution. If they're doing science experiments and stuff my kids will just have to sit there and watch without participating (though I suppose it's true in either case). And they've said that online classes will require the exact same amount of time as in school meaning my kids will be in front of a computer for 7 hours a day.

Ugh. This wouldn't be such a big deal if I didn't have severe asthma. The risk is just too high... I don't want anything to happen to me because then the kids will be in a horrible situation.

Been thinking about a kids tablet for the 4 year old. Anyone got any experience with the Leappad, Amazon or Samsung ones? I don't love the idea of sort of being stuck withe Amazon eco system but it's pretty cheap.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So far the kindle fire has been mostly operable? It's just annoying having a super specialized UI, when I'm so used to Android.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    The options have been clarified and it just sounds like they'll live stream the class which doesn't really seem like a good solution. If they're doing science experiments and stuff my kids will just have to sit there and watch without participating (though I suppose it's true in either case). And they've said that online classes will require the exact same amount of time as in school meaning my kids will be in front of a computer for 7 hours a day.

Ugh. This wouldn't be such a big deal if I didn't have severe asthma. The risk is just too high... I don't want anything to happen to me because then the kids will be in a horrible situation.

That sucks and also sounds like the laziest possible solution on the school's part :sad:

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

I have slightly odd but good news for you

https://www.rutgers.edu/news/asthma-does-not-seem-increase-severity-covid-19

Best study I've seen on it so far, but it seems that asthma might not actually be a major risk factor for modifying the disease trajectory in people.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    Been thinking about a kids tablet for the 4 year old. Anyone got any experience with the Leappad, Amazon or Samsung ones? I don't love the idea of sort of being stuck withe Amazon eco system but it's pretty cheap.

We have an older LeapPad and a Fire.

I'd go with a Kindle - they're on sale right now - since they're cheap and actually hold up pretty well. Don't get the kid model.

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    The kids Kindle isn't very good at non-Amazon stuff, but does Netflix and a few other things well enough. Paired with the FreeTime it lets you let the kids go hog wild downloading apps and content, which is fun for them vs a shared iPad where you'd want to lock stuff down so they're not spending money. Jamming a memory card full of movies on there for a car trip works but you have to log in as a parent and so on. Good parental controls: you can cut them off from movies or games after a set time but still allow them to read books and so on. For a 4 year old I'd lean to the Kindle. The first car trip you will be met with complaints about the lack of WiFi hindering some functionality, but they figure out which things work offline pretty quick. I'd cross check the compatibility of the model you want with Osmo if that looks interesting to you: its a pretty cool set of educational games that the kids like that uses a Kindle or iPad and a mirror to view a playfield in front of the tablet where they play with various physical widgets to interact with the games, whether learning physics, programming, making music or making change in a play store.

MichaelLC wrote: »

We have an older LeapPad and a Fire.

I'd go with a Kindle - they're on sale right now - since they're cheap and actually hold up pretty well. Don't get the kid model.

I kind of want the chunky case the kid kindle has if we go that way.

School plans here announced. 830-1230 on site, then remote learning the rest of the day. What problem does this bullshit solve?

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    School plans here announced. 830-1230 on site, then remote learning the rest of the day. What problem does this bullshit solve?

The idea is that a half-day reduces exposure from a full day. Time spent near someone with the virus contributes to the likelihood of you getting it.

I mean, I don't think that's gonna be anywhere near enough, but that's the idea.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile