As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You Know Ellie, We Really Are [The Last of Us Part I + II]

ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever warRegistered User regular
edited September 2022 in Games and Technology
Last of Us Remake has been released for PS5
https://youtu.be/hsA1opqN_ZU

The Last of Us Part II is a 2020 action-adventure game developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for the PlayStation 4. Set five years after the events of The Last of Us (2013), players enter the role of 19-year-old Ellie, who comes into conflict with a mysterious cult in a post-apocalyptic United States. The game contains survival horror elements and is played from the third-person perspective. Players can use firearms, improvised weapons, and stealth to defend against enemies and cannibalistic creatures infected by a mutated strain of the Cordyceps fungus.
Accessibility Options: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/the-last-of-us-part-ii-ps4/accessibility/
Reviews: https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-last-of-us-part-ii
Release Date: June 19th, 2020
Recommendations:
- Use a wireless headset if available as sound plays a key role. If using Platinum or Gold headsets, Naughty Dog recommends using the Uncharted 4 preset.
- Difficulty does not affect trophies!

*Mushroom People may not be friendly

USE SPOILER TAGS FOR SPOILERS!

Zavian on

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm still, even now, kinda bummed this game features Joel and Ellie! Felt like their story was done and I wanted / expected an anthology type deal.

Oh brilliant
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'm still, even now, kinda bummed this game features Joel and Ellie! Felt like their story was done and I wanted / expected an anthology type deal.

I mean sure if you wanted the ending to go the anti-genre route like DAWN OF THE DEAD or THE MIST. I feel like there was no way this story wasn't going to get a second act after the first one.

However, I can not imagine they aren't going to give us more Tales In The Mushroom Kingdom; it's a fertile world they've got set up.

EDIT: Holy hell. The graphical fidelity is off the charts.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I was really disappointed in a lot of youtubers and similar, who began flooding YouTube with videos before the game was out this morning. Thankfully I got lucky and none of mine were too stupid, but some of my friends got major things spoiled by these dipshits not labelling things correctly or having late game spoilers as video titles.

I am installing mine now and soon, my cocoon begins. I will not be back until I have finished it.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm trying to race through The Last of Us Remastered while 2 installs. I bounced off of it the last time I tried to play it and I still can't quite enjoy it like I should. I also don't really know why? The controls are definitely clunky but that's probably my only technical gripe. Maybe the lack of direction that has me scouring empty rooms a lot of the time. Otherwise it seems like a great game.

I feel like this is something I would much rather watch somebody play than actually play myself.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I'm trying to race through The Last of Us Remastered while 2 installs. I bounced off of it the last time I tried to play it and I still can't quite enjoy it like I should. I also don't really know why? The controls are definitely clunky but that's probably my only technical gripe. Maybe the lack of direction that has me scouring empty rooms a lot of the time. Otherwise it seems like a great game.

I feel like this is something I would much rather watch somebody play than actually play myself.

That’s the conclusion I came to and just accepted I did t like playing the actual game. Story, writing, characters—all great! But everything felt awkward and a lot of the stealth sequences felt padded and unnecessary.

I’m watching an LP of the first game, trying to get through quickly so I can start part 2. But I’m perfectly happy to experience the game this way.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    WOOOO I FINALLY BEAT THE GYMNASIUM BOSS! FUCK THAT GUY! I've been stuck on that boss fight since the game released...... 7 years ago. Jeez, it's been that long D:

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I wonder if anyone will get PTSD from this game. :P

I did not realize the previous game was seven years ago. Is that right?

Krathoon on
    Launched 2013 on PS3.

Oh yeah. It was a PS3 game. I forgot since it was done so well. It was one of the games at the end of the PS3 life cycle.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Made it through the prologue. Not sure if folks that felt TLOU1 had poor controls will find TLOU2 substantially better, though I reckon things could dramatically improve as you upgrade.

As is Naughty Dog tradition, I feel like my desire to hunt down collectibles is constantly at odds with narrative pressure, but at least I found the TURN THE FUCKING HINTS OFF option.

And yeah, the accessibility stuff is incredible.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Finished Remastered last night. Even better than I remember it being... I'd forgotten so much of what happens in that game, and especially how big it is. And how absolutely agonizing that flooded hotel is jesus christ no.

Plan was to play through Left Behind (bought it when it originally came out but never played it), but I'm not sure if I can hold off on zooming down to pick up the 2nd one, especially given all the massive spoiler warnings I'm seeing here and there.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I will not get my copy until this evening, but I just discovered a bizarre thing: this game has no platinum trophy. It literally never occurred to me that this would happen. No great loss, but it feels very weird to see a first party game this big not get one. Unprecedented I think.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    furlion wrote: »
    I will not get my copy until this evening, but I just discovered a bizarre thing: this game has no platinum trophy. It literally never occurred to me that this would happen. No great loss, but it feels very weird to see a first party game this big not get one. Unprecedented I think.

Probably for the best, as ND trophies are historically dogshit.

But it may actually be something they plan to implement once the multiplayer portion is released, assuming a multiplayer component is still in development.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I am eyeing all these TLOU2 reviews like "Uh..... what?" This story and these characters are botched up on so many levels. It looks amazing, it plays great, the voice acting is superb, but this plot.... yeeeesh. This is bad.

I didn't get very far last night, but so far the animation and control feel to me a lot better than the first. That said we're definitely off to a different start than the first game: (spoilers for first hour)
    Joel unburdening himself a bit on Tommy felt kind of like a dick move. I can't imagine he wanted that. Also, it was a REALLY odd story beat going from Ellie to Abby, a bit too much "in media res" for me. Still the character seems cool and I'd like to see how they set themselves at odds with the group.

Also: (this is not a spoiler, but spoiler speculation)
    I think the game has been trolling us with the trailers. I am now convinced Joel, not Dina, is the one who dies - because they've made it super obvious in the trailers that it must be Dina, and one line that was meant to be connected to Jesse is in fact connected to another character. Also Joel makes WAY more sense than some rando just introduced.

That’s the conclusion I came to and just accepted I did t like playing the actual game. Story, writing, characters—all great! But everything felt awkward and a lot of the stealth sequences felt padded and unnecessary.

I’m watching an LP of the first game, trying to get through quickly so I can start part 2. But I’m perfectly happy to experience the game this way.

I guess the bigger impacts really don't occur in gameplay so there's no reason to not watch the first one; I feel though - and I have no data to back this up - that the story means more having experienced it for myself.

Oh they literally straight up lied in the trailers. Completely editing cutsenes to insert characters that do not appear in those cutscenes in the actual game and instead its a different character there speaking those lines.

Like incredibly disingenuous false advertising.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    furlion wrote: »

? There’s a platinum and it isn’t even tied to difficulty
    It's possible to earn the Platinum in The Last of Us 2 within a single playthrough, although in all likelihood you'll need to use New Game + in order to grab the Survival Expert and Arms Master Trophies as there simply aren't enough Supplements and Spare Parts in a single playthrough to unlock all the Player Upgrades and Weapon Upgrades.
    You'll need to find all the collectibles, craft every item, visit every location in downtown Seattle to get the Platinum Trophy

Zavian on
    edited June 2020
    Oh. This takes place in downtown Seattle? I assume the Space Needle is in it. It would be cool if there was a PAX reference.

I wonder if they will have a functioning monorail.

Krathoon on
    Viskod wrote: »
    I am eyeing all these TLOU2 reviews like "Uh..... what?" This story and these characters are botched up on so many levels. It looks amazing, it plays great, the voice acting is superb, but this plot.... yeeeesh. This is bad.

How so? I feel like the plot was pretty straight forward.
    Oh they literally straight up lied in the trailers. Completely editing cutsenes to insert characters that do not appear in those cutscenes in the actual game and instead its a different character there speaking those lines.

Like incredibly disingenuous false advertising.

I actually take that back. Rewatched the story trailer and it makes it seem like the comment is made by one person but its totally different. It's just out of context like all movie trailers.

Last of Us question

I am roughly at the point
    Where Ellie takes off on the horse at the hydroelectric dam

How much longer do I have in the game?

edited June 2020
    Last of Us question

I am roughly at the point
    Where Ellie takes off on the horse at the hydroelectric dam

How much longer do I have in the game?

The final act.

EDIT: Shit my bad. You've got another act in there. You've got about 1/3 of the game left.

ED! on
    edited June 2020
    ED! wrote: »

How so? I feel like the plot was pretty straight forward.

This spoiler refers to TLOU2
    A lot of my issues come from how they completely mishandled Abby in my opinion. I'm fine with Abby killing Joel, but if you want to kill Joel and you want it to be done by a new character that you would also like your audience to empathize with one some level, then they went about it just about the worst way they could. Trading actual investment into both Abby and Joel in that moment for pure sudden shock value of it happening so fast and so soon.

First of all this group marches through all of Washington, Idaho, and into Wyoming in a post apocalyptic world, in winter, just to kill one guy.

Did you know that the original game was supposed to have Tess follow after Joel and Ellie after a supposed betrayal and Tess was hunting them down for revenge? But the team sidelined that plot because they thought it was to ridiculous and dumb for someone to waste so much time and energy on a petty revenge quest against one person in this kind of world.

So Joel saves Abby's life, and she tortures him anyway. A girl busts in and they beat her, pin her to the ground making her face him so she can watch Abby deliver the final blow and bash Joel's head in. And then.... for "reasons" they inexplicably leave Tommy and Ellie alive. The only two people that even knew they were there, and they left them alive. They knew that Joel lived in a large, heavily populated, heavily armed, fully functioning has goddamn electricity city that is just right down the hill, and they let the only two witnesses live after traveling all that way just to brutally murder someone.

You can obviously assume they are firefly leftovers, so their motives are clear. So I don't care about Abby's backstory at this point, her cartoonishly evil introduction has wasted that opportunity.

What's more is her laughable gall to say "I let you live and you squandered it!" when she confronts them at the theater. Like, yes. You let Joel's brother and this girl live, after brutally murdering someone in front of her. WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.

Did none of these people who were wearing uniforms with the name of where they come from on them even stop and think that it's going to be obvious who would come from out of nowhere and single out Joel specifically to kill? Did they really think his own brother wouldn't know? That Ellie wouldn't know? That no one would come after them?

The entire setup is just all so ridiculous. And such a waste.

I think they would have been much better off putting Joel's death into a different scenario. One a little further into the game so that we can have more time with Abby. Tease out a little bit of her back story here and there. Make her meeting with Joel and his group a by chance occurrence.

Because the best outcome for the audience I believe, is if you engineer it so that your players realize that Abby's father was the surgeon Joel killed at the same moment that Abby realizes who Joel is. Have Abby and Joel alone together in that moment and let her murder of him be an on the spot in the heat of the moment kind of thing, where she gives into anger and revenge.

It would also make Ellie's revenge killings more impactful if the people in Abby's group she kills weren't actually complicit in Joel's death the way they are in the beginning of this game.

Viskod on
    Ok cool cool. I've got 2 weeks off but I need to lock down and be productive so I think this weekend is going to be my "don't do jack shit and play TLoU2" so I'm trying to blitz through this to maximize my time.

I honestly don't know how I'm going to feel about 2. I was hella late to the party on the first game and like I said, kinda bounced off it, so I don't have the same connection to it a lot of people do. The rumors I've been hearing is that this game seems to be an absolute downer in the worst kinda way. But I'm also not that familiar with the game and characters so I dunno if I'll be as disappointed as a lot of other people seem to be.

Oh you're talking about this game, ha. Totally misread that. Whew glad I closed that spoiler when I saw new character name.. However I got to the critical point in this game and yeah:
    the trailers are a lie. Possibly some flashbacks going but I'll admit they did a damn fine job of obscuring it.

And yeah I've heard the story in this one might get a little funky but I'm enjoying the setup so far.

Well. Ain't playing this weekend. UPS just delayed delivery til Monday. :tell_me_more:

Oh brilliant
    Im at the flooded hotel from the e3 footage of the first game. Turns out the game is infinitely more fun on easy mode and by playing it as an action genre game. :lol:

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Anyone know what difficulty is recommended?

I think I remember that most people agreed that the first one the harder difficulty gave you a better experience while still keeping things fair enough.

Survival so far is not hard. I mean you can't let Clickers get on top of you and Runners will eventually beat you to death, but that's as it should be if you ask me. Also ammo has definitely been scarce (there's more than a few empty drawers) but stealth is as powerful a weapon as it's even been.

Kyougu wrote: »
    Anyone know what difficulty is recommended?

I think I remember that most people agreed that the first one the harder difficulty gave you a better experience while still keeping things fair enough.

I'm playing on Hard, and it feels substantially more difficult than the equivalent in TLOU1. Human Enemy AI/Tactics are very dynamic and they pretty much never miss a shot, which coupled with very few supplies means that fights can take a rapid turn for the worse.

That said, you can change difficulty whenever, though I'm not sure if that can adjust the appearance of supplies on the fly.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Abby is ducking awesome and all these boys whining about ‘how a girl has more muscle then me?!’ food to the soul. Ducking stop whining and hit the gym.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I am going to fucking
    murder so many wlf people.

Abby is ducking awesome and all these boys whining about ‘how a girl has more muscle then me?!’ food to the soul. Ducking stop whining and hit the gym.

I wish the game had done better by her. It's such a wasted opportunity.

Have you already beaten the game?

edited June 2020

Yes. But what I'm mainly referring to happens within the first couple of hours of the game. It's a really dumb way to handle her character and I'm pretty annoyed by it.

Viskod on
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

Yes. But what I'm mainly referring to happens within the first couple of hours of the game. It's a really dumb way to handle her character and I'm pretty annoyed by it.

You got a pre-release copy? The game hasn't even been out for 15 hours yet and it's a 25 hour game

People have been streaming it since yesterday morning. I'd watched the entirety of the game before the digital unlock at midnight.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It was also out in places like Australia yesterday.

This game is excellent. The downtown area of Seattle is so good. I wish I had played it on a higher difficulty as the new movement options and mobility make things much more bearable than the first game.

Also yes, it does have a Platinum Trophy.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    You got a pre-release copy? The game hasn't even been out for 15 hours yet and it's a 25 hour game
    A streamer beat it in 16 hours, but he was trying to go fast.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    That sounds like a great way to not enjoy something!

Also our copy arrived on schedule, ahead of the delayed schedule, horray!

...Lady Raven gotta continue working though.

Oh brilliant
    That sounds like a great way to not enjoy something!

Also our copy arrived on schedule, ahead of the delayed schedule, horray!

...Lady Raven gotta continue working though.

He got about to the halfway mark and was just fed up with the game and done, and was just rushing through to finish just to finish it. He was already not enjoying it.