As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Roasted cherry ice cream = success
    xmwuwr6w8hy0.png

I took the liberty of soaking the pulped cherries in sugar, bourbon, and lemon juice, and adding it in as a mix-in

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I like the idea of a cashew pesto.

And I've got a bunch of parmesan around.

Hmm

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I made turkey/pork katsu meatloaf last night and took zero pictures.
    Hopefully I can put together the recipe tonight and take a picture of the leftovers.

UWTQqIrl.jpg

I think I over processed the whole mixture in the kitchenaid, I'm still figuring it out.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Doodman, you're the most stalwart member of the cook club! :D

Meatloaf recipes are up. I've really never had meatloaf growing up, nor made it myself up to this point, so it definitely was an experience looking up different recipes

Oh, and--I don't know if y'all follow Bon Appetit drama and whatnot, but I'm making an effort to feature more POC-authored recipes (regardless of whether the dish itself is from a specific culture or not). Even with a dish heavily associated with southern/soul food, it was a bit distressing how hard it was to find POC chefs on the first dozen or so Google recommendations. If you guys have any recs for POC chefs/recipe crafters, please let me know and I'll check them as I compose the recommendation list each week <3

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Subbing in ground pork for ground beef because that's all we have at home, and it almost seems antithetical to the idea of meatloaf to buy something specific for it if you have a suitable substitution at home :rotate:

signature.png
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Finally starting to play Cook Club Catch-up! I made ice cream and pesto today.

The ice cream was based on the NYT recipe, with Oreos and Skor chipits thrown in (which for non-Canadians is the toffee centre of Skor bars without the chocolate, in shattered form for baking); I have an inherited KitchenAid attachment for ice cream churning but uh, accidentally bought a personal Dash ice cream maker for $30 because it was terribly cute

The only addition I made was a little vanilla extract - the chocolate colour of the ice cream is solely from some of the Oreo crumbs disintegrating mid-churn, which I am not complaining about
    dnbekmjcctbj.jpeg

It is incredibly creamy and I am absolutely going to be doing this more often; because the Dash maker is so small I made 2 cups of the Skoreo flavour and still have some leftover cream in the fridge to try a new flavour with tomorrow

The pesto I made with a cup of fresh basil leaves from the plants in our yard, but I haven't decided what to use it on yet, so those pictures'll come later this week

The sourdough pizza crust is definitely next on the list!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I didn't do Pesto last weekend, but my coworker gave me a giant pile of basil from his backyard, so I guess I'm making pesto and veggieloaf this weekend.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Looking over the meatloaf recipes on all the popular recipe sites and cooking blogs, I felt something...lacking. They all seemed way too concerned with flavor balance and food science and sanity. I sensed these recipes would all turn out weak and decadent loaves for a weak and decadent age.

No, if I was going to create a meatloaf worthy of Cook Club, I would need to reach back to the wisdom of the ancients. The masters of the form. The brutal audacity of the Atomic Age kitchen. I started digging through collections of old recipe cards until I found it.

1ravr128n9f9.png
    https://vintagerecipecards.com/2011/09/29/ribbon-meat-loaf/

A goddamn Double Down cheeseburger monstrosity? Well, now I can't not do it.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My wife hates ground beef, but we have some ground bison....

• Options
    Jedoc I am so proud of you. Shine on you crazy diamond.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Ribbon of cheese...BRILLIANT

signature.png
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Made a sandwich in my press with Swiss, roast turkey, local vegan garlic mayo and the pesto! Local ketchup (from a farmers' market booth called the Ketchup Project that absolutely rules) for dipping
    jpzwqeez6725.jpeg

2h7on0mpkc54.jpeg

I'm not really sure why I never had much pesto before because folks, it rules

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Cooking from old recipe cards is always fun, because you get to see whether the out-of-style ingredients are still available in your local grocery store. For example, this is the first time I've ever purchased celery salt, and I haven't had mustard powder in my house for over a decade.
    0kcltsn583oe.png
    Not pictured: 1 tbsp Worcestershire, because I forgot to get the bottle out of the fridge for the picture. Also, I substituted beef stock for milk, because milk doesn't actually tenderize meat the way old-timey cooks thought it did. And the recipe gave me the choice of cheddar or blue cheese crumbles, so I went with the clear choice.
    u2ikjr0h6bsd.png
    This turned out to be a legitimately delicious dish! You can't really see it in the photo, but there is a rich vein of melty blue cheese in each slice. I think I'm going to try to improvise some kind of balsamic glaze for the leftovers just to replicate a blue cheese-stuffed burger my local joint doesn't make any more, but otherwise I could see working this into my rotation without any changes to the recipe.

Also, don't worry about my brussels sprouts. They look pretty charred, but that's just a thin layer on top of a lovely roasted interior. The combination tastes like pan-fried okra.

Thanks, the often-horrifying culinary impulses of the 60s and 70s!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Wow! Blue cheese is a bold decision!

I used the Whisk It Real Gud recipe as a base, but mostly did it with what I had (chicken stock, ground pork, chunks from my sourdough bread). Supplemented the lean ground pork with some sausage innards for that good ol fat. I could've probably torn the bread better, and probably combined the meat. And I meant to add an extra egg, but forgot! Woooo

h44pf7mr62u7.png

ghdty04i93os.png

signature.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ok I haven't had meatloaf since I was like, 11 or 12 and I took over the family cooking.

I will give this an attempt tonight.

Man I hope this works out ok.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Meatloaf is pretty tough to fuck up, since even if the outside dries a bit, it's still good. I actually like it a little bit "overcooked" because I'm a wild animal.

• Options
    Oh, yeah. Meatloaf crunchy bits are a feature, not a bug.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    my father tried to use popcorn instead of breadcrumbs.

one time, he tried to use oatmeal.

my father is not a good cook, and a lot of my food hangups probably stem from that.

• Options
    I wasn't entirely sure how homogeneous the inside ought to have been! Mine definitely had 'oh that was a sausage' and 'ah that was a bit of sourdough' sections

signature.png
  • Options
    Meatloaf is in the oven. I took no photos.

It's a very disturbing looking item of food.

But we'll see how we go. I definitely made enough to have lots of leftovers.

• Options

So.

First off, the crack in the top that turned into a rivulet of gross fat? Yeah. could have really done without that. That was unpleasant

I kinda went off of the 2nd link in the OP

used 1 egg
    homemade seasoned breadcrumbs
    veggie stock
    worcestershire sauce
    dried onion flakes
    ground beef
    shredded parmesan cheese

the glaze on top is
    tomato ketchup
    brown mustard
    worcestershire sauce
    dark brown sugar

It baked for about 55 minutes at 180

served with homemade ranch mashed potatoes (with homemade ranch dressing!), and steamed broccoli and carrots.

I haven't had meatloaf in a long time. a very long time. and this was better than i remember that product being. So, that's good? but it was very much NOT attractive and i"m very glad that I listened to the recipe about only cooking half of the glaze and then adding the rest at the end.

• Options
    I highly recommend crumbling your extra meatloaf on a pizza as a sausage like topping.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Sushi recipes are up

I uh... it's actually Wyborn and my 11th wedding anniversary this weekend, so I ordered a party platter's worth of sushi from a local restaurant. :lol: Sooooo... not sure if I'll make this on another day, or have him pick up some extra fish with our order (we'll probably be too full) or maybe I'll do that fruit sushi thing for dessert?!

signature.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Hm...

You know, there's this cured salmon recipe I've really been wanting to make. Sushi would be a really good excuse to make it.

• Options
    Gah. So I’m having a heck of a time trying to find sushi rice or nori at my local supermarket. Thinking I’m going to have to venture out to the international store or see if they deliver.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I bought nori, imitation crab, a cucumber, and an avocado today so I guess I'm making California rolls.

• Options
    I know I'll be late but tomorrow night is meatloaf night.

• Options
    Never apologize for meatloaf night.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Alright. I’ve blanketed some nice salmon in salt and sugar, and it’s gone into the fridge for a long cold nap. We’ll see how good that cure is on Saturday.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I am extremely bad at getting photos up! This is the week of very solid but very questionable looking food!

dXJZqjwh.jpg

Pesto! Very tasty, but turned out slightly oily since I think I didn't compact two cups of basil enough for it.

xy7oFiFh.jpg

ruVHcv8h.jpg

Vegloaf! Pretty tasty. Along with the basil, my coworker also gave me habenero and serrano, so I cut one of each into this and got a real spicy loaf. The sauce made it taste very much like meatloaf in spite of its chickpea base.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I'm on day 4 of this blue cheese meat loaf, and I'm kind of mad at how good it is. I think it's one of those recipes where the reheated leftovers are better than the original, and this is possibly the most unhealthy thing I've cooked in this entire club. But now it's just in my life now, I guess, and I can make it whenever.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    @milski I love your cheerful yellow bowl!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I have a 4 day weekend.

I think we’re gonna try meatloaf.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I made chocolate pudding ice cream last week.

go1Bk3Ph.jpg

It is extremely rich but paired really well with the leftover chai tea with ginger coconut. Also, I put caramel sauce on it because YOLO. (Not in the picture, I did that for last Saturday when I had guests over.)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Meat loaf turned out very good

http://imgur.com/a/yoW4CGw

• Options
    I approve of the album title.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I made too much sushi tonight, the rice was fantastic though. I highly recommend the alton brown recipe that shows up on a regular search.

6JUXWXOl.jpg

I am pretty solidly in the camp that sushi is not worth making myself.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sushi-rice-recipe-1944633

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Sushi and car repair.

• Options
    "Too much sushi" is a good problem to have.

So, the salmon seems to be progressing as expected. But also, the fridge is starting to smell somewhat fishy; I'm not sure what I was expecting there.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Rolling the sushi is hard and my knife sucks but overall, not a bad attempt.

ffjIfyt.jpg
    FPOpFNj.jpg
    JdaIX9U.jpg
    NJx3o2k.jpg

I still have leftover sushi rice so I may eat the rest with just crab instead of rolling it up.