As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Pilotable mechs? Living ships!?

1131415161719»

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I can't start over because I'd lose my 48 slot non-cargo ship. :)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    nah, there are 5 slots

if you've never tried going from scratch again, do it. this game embodies the whole journey-not-the-destination thing

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    As much as I love my Hauler, this is a pretty cool idea, I'm excited to try it out.
    -Improved the range of the Exocraft Summoning Station, so that it allows Exocraft to be summoned from anywhere in the system.
    -Planets that you have discovered no longer need to be repeatedly rescanned to see their resources from space.
    -Allowed starships to reverse during atmospheric flight if stuck in other geometry.

All quite appreciated too.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Dang, Living Ships require 3200 Quicksilver - I haven't played a lot recently (let alone done Quicksilver missions in a long time) so I'm short right now. I did buy an Exotic that flew into the trading post I visited, so small victories.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    New trailer for Hello Games' next project, coming later this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBY6XUf3rxs

• Options
    Finally, finally got my Living Ship, that was a real test of my patience. Putting aside the quickly fixed glitch where the quest vanished for me, the first four components require warping to a marked system, finding the right planet and then using the cockpit co-ordinates to find the appropriate location (the co-ordinates you receive either fluctuate or are imprecise until you get close, too), farming a new resource (have some spots for new multitool tech), then having to wait ~24 hours before you can proceed. You'll also need the stargate glyphs obtained through the story to warp to a specific planet, which I had to do.

Ultimately, the ship is cool, but has specific upgrades that seem like a pain to get; haven't messed around with it too much. Honestly, halfway through the quest I remembered that metallic ships are entirely where my interests align, but gosh darn I wasn't going to let that quest beat me.

• Options
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I started a new game yesterday. It's just so nice and smooth and streamlined now. They've really nailed it.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This game’s development has been like if Molyneux went “oh shit, let’s try to do better”

• Options
    Mechs are definitely slow to walk around, but their boost mostly makes up for it. They also have a fun animation when they're summoned and I prefer mining with them because the camera angle is more natural compared to other craft. I'm also glad I stocked up on Storm Crystals while dusting off the main quest, as rechargeable fuel for my exocraft is great. Lastly, you'll probably want to invest in the environmental shielding as being in an exocraft only seems to mitigate those effects by default now.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    I started a new game yesterday. It's just so nice and smooth and streamlined now. They've really nailed it.

I have now jumped to about 15 new systems, focussing on high economy systems with lots of planets and have yet to find a SINGLE decent planet for a base.

Systems with 6 or 7 planets and all of them are frozen or irradiated or airless. Occasionally I'll find a nice planet but it'll have frequent firestorms or hyper aggressive sentinels. Either I'm having the worst luck or this update made nice planets super rare.

• Options
    i don't think planet gen has changed in a while - maybe since the VR update? and that was a small change

sounds like bad luck. also feels worse because airless planets are so boring now - you used to find some really cool ones.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I have now jumped to about 15 new systems, focussing on high economy systems with lots of planets and have yet to find a SINGLE decent planet for a base.

Systems with 6 or 7 planets and all of them are frozen or irradiated or airless. Occasionally I'll find a nice planet but it'll have frequent firestorms or hyper aggressive sentinels. Either I'm having the worst luck or this update made nice planets super rare.

They did make perfectly calm planets a lot more rare a long while back. Most of them will have some singular drawback like severe storms or overaggressive sentinels. The star type also determines the type of planets a system more likely to have(yellow is best), so combine all that together and you may be searching a while.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Dammit. I'd held off, then I found it for £13. And I'm sucked in. 23 hours played in the three days since I bought it and now not playing today when I was meant to be working was nigh on painful. I'm doomed!!

Tis still glitchy in places though. Twice I've had to rescan the fauna on my current 'home' planet amongst other problems.

Ashaman42 on
  • Options
    I finally found a perfect planet in a rich system

but it has brown grass 😭

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Every nice planet I've found has something wrong with it. I've never found one with dark green grass and the right shade of blue water.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I mean I think the weird coloured planets are fun. Blue grass, orange grass, purple grass, green water

those are fun.

brown grass though

• Options
    when multiplayer first came out i started a new game to play with a mate and there was a perfect world - green grass, blue water, palmy trees and passive sentinels - in the starter system. so we set up some bases there and had some fun while he learnt the game. since then it's been infested with storms and hostile critters... also, the grass turned brown

you know what they say. khaleesi come...

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    My current home planet has super-heated rainstorms (not an issue for me) and no buried modules (annoying, but I just portal elsewhere), but it's gorgeous and has no sentinels at all so I love it. I just hope Hello don't mess with the seeds again, as my old base went from teal to grey grass. And my aqua base went from blue water to red.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Edit: Nevermind, finally found the answer to my question on the wiki. (Yes, materials are refunded when something is deleted in case anyone else was wondering).

Xeddicus on