As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bucks Win Championship Without Head Coach [NBA]

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    So how much longer before Kyrie changes his name or starts posing in playgirl or whatever

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    Kyrie has been gaining points for me. I like the idea that he is leading a discussion that returning to play might not be the right thing. Because as much of a relief as it would be to have some NBA in our lives again, its probably not. Its genuinely unsafe in terms of Covid, the 'ship will almost certainly have a huge asterisk, and the league could make no more disruptive and impactful social justice statement then not playing.

burbo wrote: »
    Kyrie has been gaining points for me. I like the idea that he is leading a discussion that returning to play might not be the right thing. Because as much of a relief as it would be to have some NBA in our lives again, its probably not. Its genuinely unsafe in terms of Covid, the 'ship will almost certainly have a huge asterisk, and the league could make no more disruptive and impactful social justice statement then not playing.

The NBA is full of dudes giving dollars and exposure to fight both COVID and police brutality, Kyrie is somewhere around 300th in the league on being informed and effective addressing that stuff

And yet, he's the one leading the discussion on not playing. Similar to the way COVID was still just a foreign anxiety, not something people were expecting to impact their lives, or something they would actually have to confront and deal with, until it cancelled the NBA season. I think the players voluntarily choosing not to play would be the most powerful message about their seriousness they could send. The idea that "Let's just keep doing things as we've always done but with a little more mindfulness, that'll lead to change!" is wishful thinking. People all over the country (and world, honestly) are sacrificing pieces of their livelihoods, risking their health, and in some cases, getting killed in order to support this movement. I don't see why NBA players, if they want to be considered part of the fight, would be exempted from that.

I liked Avery Bradley's thoughts on the issue:

“Regardless of how much media coverage will be received, talking and raising awareness about social injustice isn’t enough,” Bradley told ESPN. “Are we that self-centered to believe no one in the world is aware of racism right now? That as athletes, we solve the real issues by using our platforms to speak?

“We don’t need to say more. We need to find a way to achieve more. Protesting during an anthem, wearing T-shirts is great, but we need to see real actions being put in to the works.”

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I think the thing is, Kyrie was already not playing because of injury. He’s also signed to a huge contract and doesn’t have to worry about league economics. He is essentially immune from any repercussions of his actions.

For me, it’s more impactful when Avery Bradley and Dwight Howard are making these statements. They’re on small contracts and on the tail ends of their career, and them not playing jeopardizes a run at a championship that you know those guys desperately want. They have much more to lose by not having a season, which speaks more to their convictions.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    I agree with you any Dwight and Avery. While Kyrie has improved in my esteem, that doesn't mean he's number 1 or anything.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Are we sure Kyrie is immune? If they players refuse to play this season are they still paid?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Butters wrote: »
    Are we sure Kyrie is immune? If they players refuse to play this season are they still paid?

They’ve been paid up to this point, it’s future games payment that is up in the air. Plus the league caps are based on earnings from the previous year, so not finishing the season would cut into that for next year. This affects Bradley and Howard a ton (because they’re on expiring deals and would be free agents this summer) than it does Kyrie (who is signed for a huge amount for the next few years).

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    I agree with you any Dwight and Avery. While Kyrie has improved in my esteem, that doesn't mean he's number 1 or anything.

Ok yeah I’m in agreement ::fist bump::

Lemme just say

Kyrie and KD deserve each other

Nirya wrote: »

They’ve been paid up to this point, it’s future games payment that is up in the air. Plus the league caps are based on earnings from the previous year, so not finishing the season would cut into that for next year. This affects Bradley and Howard a ton (because they’re on expiring deals and would be free agents this summer) than it does Kyrie (who is signed for a huge amount for the next few years).

Howard has made $240M over his 16-year career. He's not risking all that much

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular

Article
    The surging number of coronavirus cases in Florida, which posted a record high Saturday for the third consecutive day, has raised concerns in many corners of the NBA, from players to team executives to the league office itself, as it prepares to resume play in Orlando next month.

Florida added 4,049 new cases Saturday, which broke the previous single-day record of 3,822 set Friday. In all, the state has set records for single-day cases in seven of the past 10 days and is approaching 94,000 infections -- becoming a national hot spot along with Texas and Arizona, states that are also seeing surging case numbers.

In at least one recent call with high-level team executives, NBA commissioner Adam Silver has acknowledged the spiking numbers in Florida. Team sources described the general tone of that call, including the questions asked of Silver on it, as tense. Another called Silver's tone "resolute but somber." He expressed a resolve to go on -- a confidence in the NBA's bubble concept -- while recognizing the seriousness of the coronavirus spike, sources said.

They’re not going to manage two and a half months of play with this going on.

It seems they have misunderstand on what constitutes a "bubble" if they think people moving freely in and out qualifies.

Perhaps they should go back to Bio 101 and go with "semi-permeable membrane".

I wonder how much, if any, extra-curricular drama there will be after games. Normally, after a heated playoff game, teams go back to their homes and hotel and have time to cool off. In this set up, there will likely be teams playing each other in intense series, and then they go back to the same hotel. Maybe that is going to lead to some extra drama.

You know, assuming that this actually happens (and my bet is on that the bubble will fail spectacularly and we will never see a champion crowned this year).

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    there's too many moving pieces and if one person gets coronavirus inside the not a bubble the whole thing is going to have to shut down.

seems pretty doomed to fail especially as the service workers aren't being quarantined/tested regularly and florida is busy burning to the ground from the virus anyway.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I applaud the NBA for realizing that the US is going to need to shutdown again later this year and arranging another season they can cancel that will get everyone's attention again.

Yeah so what do they do about the 20/21 season

Same thing, a month later and with all teams?

But with rookies?

Bobble wrote: »
    I applaud the NBA for realizing that the US is going to need to shutdown again later this year and arranging another season they can cancel that will get everyone's attention again.

Looks like Jokic has tested positive. That's one major star before they are even in the bubble, though presumably there is still time for him to come back and quarantine, if no major complications:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29354097/nuggets-nikola-jokic-tested-positive-coronavirus-serbia-return-us-delayed

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Malcolm Brogden also diagnosed.

Avery Bradley has chosen to not join in the season either due to his son suffering from respiratory problems.

Kelor on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Vinsanity retiring

I want to make an elderly vulnerability joke but Vince is gonna be dunking into his 70s

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Vince Carter never winning a championship is a crime.

Vince Carter never winning a championship is a crime.

Why? He never seemed like an especially championship-worthy player to me. I mean, we all love old-man Vince, but prime Vince was considered a soft, selfish, bad teammate stat hog.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    By white sportwriters obsessed with the purity of the game, yes

By white sportwriters obsessed with the purity of the game, yes

Just waiting for a Bill Simmons podcast where he states that Carter played the game "the right way" while Rusillo says some more overt shit in the background.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    Sometimes a player is just real good but not lucky enough to win a championship. But an idea like that doesn't sell many papers, generate clicks, or fill air time.

I still can’t believe that Vince Carter played with 38% of all NBA players

Sometimes a player is just real good but not lucky enough to win a championship. But an idea like that doesn't sell many papers, generate clicks, or fill air time.

By my count, he was 4th best from that era without a title, behind Nash, McGrady, and Iverson.

They would all be behind my boy Peja, but he heroically won a title in his final game. Funny how bo one ever talks about his perfect retirement, and instead focus on that loser Jordan who ended on 2 playoff failures.

edited June 2020
    Jordan retired after the flu game where he made the game/series winner over Bryon Russell

Captain Inertia on

By my count, he was 4th best from that era without a title, behind Nash, McGrady, and Iverson.

They would all be behind my boy Peja, but he heroically won a title in his final game. Funny how bo one ever talks about his perfect retirement, and instead focus on that loser Jordan who ended on 2 playoff failures.

Jerry Rice ended his career in Seattle as a 4th option, Deion Sanders ended his career as a nickel corner in Baltimore, Clemens' last season in NY was a dud, and Muhammad Ali's final fights were a disaster. It's almost as if the breadth of one's career means a whole lot more than how they retired.

I'm just being silly guys. I thought describing Peja Stojakovic as the greatest player of the post Jordan era was the tell, but I know it's hard to pick up in text.

I guess I should have known this but I’m surprised that Phoenix, Memphis, and Washington are in

I'm just being silly guys. I thought describing Peja Stojakovic as the greatest player of the post Jordan era was the tell, but I know it's hard to pick up in text.

And I thought my Jordan joke was a good follow up to your joke :(

This discussion has been closed.