As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PlayStation4 / PSN] PS3+Vita games are back on the menu, boys!

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Is the new Bandicoot good? I still want to cling to the old games. I was impressed with the Spyro remakes.

It isn't out, so no one can know that.

Didn't they remake the first 3?

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Is the new Bandicoot good? I still want to cling to the old games. I was impressed with the Spyro remakes.

Oh, when you said "new" Bandicoot, I didn't quite understand what you meant. My bro is a hard core fan of the original three games and he loved the remake a ton.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA19360_00-GMEXVSMBONOBTBND

Open Beta for the new Gundam Vs. game is live now and live every weekend until launch next month. Has both online vs and offline arcade modes.

(Something to note as the controls don't tell you this. Blocking is Down then Up. Also characters have different melee moves sometimes by holding a direction and melee button, sometimes being a counter.)

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

Oh, when you said "new" Bandicoot, I didn't quite understand what you meant. My bro is a hard core fan of the original three games and he loved the remake a ton.

I did hear some complaints about the physics. I guess the devs unified everything around the third game (whereas the original games each had their own idiosyncrasies). It's apparently enough to throw off people who played the first game a ton.

cckerberos.png
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »

I did hear some complaints about the physics. I guess the devs unified everything around the third game (whereas the original games each had their own idiosyncrasies). It's apparently enough to throw off people who played the first game a ton.

They basically made the first and second games using the engine from the third yeah. It made getting all of the trophies much more difficult then it would have been otherwise. If you are just playing through it for fun it is not as noticable though.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Hey neat One Step From Eden came out on the ps4. I wanted to play that, and now I am playing it.

Guys One Step From Eden is really good. Also the hardest thing I've played in a while.

edited June 2020
    I'm streaming one step from Eden for no particular reason, if anyone wants to watch me be bad at it

https://youtu.be/T--s2oAXEeE

Edit: the second run went pretty well, I got to the boss right before the final boss.

Ah_Pook on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Started up Medieval because I wanted something fun and simple to play through after just finishing up a 30 hr RPG.

Jesus Christ this game is hard. I got all the way to the queen ant boss and got rocked so I have to redo the entire fucking level. I don't have time for this kind of bullshit.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Bloodborne has online coop which allowed me to beat a lot of bosses I wouldn’t have otherwise. Sekiro on the other hand has no coop so I’ve avoided it. Online coop really helps me get through souls games, though I solo’d Dark Souls 2 as they let you grind out areas so enemies eventually disappear unless you use an item to reset them. One of the reasons DS2 is my fav souls game, unfortunately they haven’t used that mechanic in any souls games since

The ability to grind out levels and weapon upgrades, the fact that a ring or item pickup is often more important than the souls you have accumulated, combined with the ease with which most enemies can be taken out (or cheesed) when you learn their weaknesses, made the Souls games work for me. It always felt like I was making progress.

Totally agreed on that mechanic in Dark Souls 2, where I cleared some tough areas for a nice fog run, or to open up space to deal with an invasion. I played 3 first, so I didn’t feel like that was missing. And I did really like how many NPC summons that game offered.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    Man one step from Eden gets really fun when you actually build a synergized deck and start annihilating stuff. I still haven't killed the final boss, but I did get them down to ~1k HP. just a matter of time, and also playing the final boss more than once so I can actually learn their patterns lol.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    They didn't use the respawning enemies mechanics in future Souls games because a subsection of their fanbase really bitched at them for its existence.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    They didn't use the respawning enemies mechanics in future Souls games because a subsection of their fanbase really bitched at them for its existence.

Seriously? What was the complaint? That they'd toned down the masochism?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Yep!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular

Effectively, yeah, I think. "No, Souls games must be for us hardcore gamers only, not those filthy casuals!"

Or something.

• XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Jazz wrote: »

Effectively, yeah, I think. "No, Souls games must be for us hardcore gamers only, not those filthy casuals!"

Or something.

I came into Dark Souls 2 way after all of the controversy stuff had pass and have only played Scholar of the First Sin edition so I can only give my personal opinions on the game outside of the context of it's original release, but here goes:

I'm okay at the Soulsborne games. Not amazing, but decent. I've gotten to the point in Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne that I can comfortably get through the games without dying to one single thing more than once times outside of a couple of the hardest DLC bosses and some of the more obnoxious challenges (Rom still drives me nuts every time I fight her as an example).

In Dark Souls 2, I died a lot mostly due to extremely high enemy aggression in certain areas that would result in an entire room coming for me at once. Despite frequent deaths in certain areas, I never noticed the enemy respawning caps outside of a few very high-traffic areas I used to get to multiple areas of interest or bosses, and usually they activate just as they became pointless.

The game also has an odd difficulty curve due to its structure. I found myself having a lot of issues early on until I unlocked easy access to a vendor that sold an infinite number of lifegems and I reached an area where I could comfortably farm souls to buy them (basically past the two starting areas as one has a very low drop count for souls and the other has enemies that are more likely to drain resources than obtain them).

And then the game felt comfortable outside of some annoying enemy spam rooms until the finale when the difficulty kind of stabilized again. Overall, it wasn't terrible, but I vastly prefer the later games to 2.

I'll also mention I got into the series late. I am a much bigger fan of Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 than either Dark Souls 1 or 2.

Xerink on
    PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    The Souls for TRUE HARDCORE GAMERS is Sekiro, really, since it gets rid of all those things that DETRACT FROM THE PURITY, like leveling up and online co-op for bosses and shields and not needing to parry. I'm glad those people have their game, I've never felt the need to buy it, and I hope that From doesn't stop making games based on their traditional formula, because I can play those even though I'm old and my reflexes are crap.

Like, I have the platinum trophy for Bloodborne, and that requires going through the defiled chalice dungeons, and there are some bosses in there that will one-shot you and that practically mandate perfect play.

Or... well, I ground vitality well past the point where I went into diminishing returns and wound up with a crazy amount of life such that I could take two or more hits from these bosses, giving me enough breathing room to beat them despite not being terrifically good at the game.

Yep!

Or something.

I think I hate people.

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Yep!

Or something.

I think I hate people.

The vanishing enemy mechanic was nice in the run to the blue Smelter Demon boss in the DLC but ultimately it was a little annoying in the main game, especially if I wanted to farm souls or certain drops but had wiped out the enemies earlier. I see why they didn't keep it going forward.

HeraldS wrote: »
    Yep!

Or something.

I think I hate people.

The vanishing enemy mechanic was nice in the run to the blue Smelter Demon boss in the DLC but ultimately it was a little annoying in the main game, especially if I wanted to farm souls or certain drops but had wiped out the enemies earlier. I see why they didn't keep it going forward.

I'll admit that I only played SotFS version, and that had a thing you could easily join to allow enemies to perpetually respawn. I don't know if that was in there originally, but it felt like the right take for the game, letting people choose their level of enemy interaction/respawn, and when.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Yep!

Or something.

I think I hate people.

I'll admit that I only played SotFS version, and that had a thing you could easily join to allow enemies to perpetually respawn. I don't know if that was in there originally, but it felt like the right take for the game, letting people choose their level of enemy interaction/respawn, and when.

Yeah, and the shrine for that covenant was right in the hub area, so you could toggle it before heading out. It was there in the base game in 2014, since I see posts from back then with people talking about it. You could also farm tough enemies with an item you burn in the bonfire, and that refreshed their respawn count.

I never understood anybody complaining about a Dark Souls sequel going too easy on players. Demon’s Souls had nearly unlimited healing items and an easy mode called casting. Magic was still very strong in Dark Souls, and the Drake Sword could be obtained super early, in an encounter that taught the player how to cheese dragons with a bow. If all else failed, it was always possible to summon help, grind levels, boost weight capacity and load up on armor.

And if that wasn’t what someone was after, they could always start as Captain Caveman, and go into boss fights with a sliver of health and bare fists, if they thought the club made things too easy. Then were was always PvP, where they could put whatever self-imposed limits they wanted on their own gear, stats, and flask use.

There have always been ways to adjust the difficulty of these games according to the casual’s degree of hygiene. And on the other hand, ways for masochists to slog through them not only nailed to the Tree of Woe, but carrying it on their backs. Up a hill. Over broken glass. Anyone in search of a more painful experience than that is not looking for a Souls game. They’re too busy browsing antique shops for mysterious puzzle boxes, in hopes of finding the Lament Configuration.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Some decent sales on PSN just went up.
    Control for under 20$ (If you're 'Murican), For the King and Stellaris.
    I had been waiting for the version 2.2 update before picking up Stellaris, and that finally dropped last month.

I just had flashbacks of No Mans Sky, playing it every 6 months or so and having to relearn what the game was about. Even the names of the resources had changed, not to mention my lush home planet had somehow turned into an arctic wasteland after one update. Just funny how a game can become something else these days.

Witchsight.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    There are even color blind options!

It’s laudable! But it shouldn’t be. Accessibility should be the baseline. Colorblindness is just one (comparatively minor) way games can be ruined when developers don’t give a shit about disabilities.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I just finished TLOU2, and it really seems to me to be the best looking PS4 game I’ve played. It’s really amazing how much they got out of this now pretty old console. I’m glad PS4 is going out with a highlight like that, though Ghosts is also coming out soon. Overall I think PS4 has had a really incredible run

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I just finished TLOU2, and it really seems to me to be the best looking PS4 game I’ve played. It’s really amazing how much they got out of this now pretty old console. I’m glad PS4 is going out with a highlight like that, though Ghosts is also coming out soon. Overall I think PS4 has had a really incredible run

Yeah the PS3 wasn't very good in my eyes but the PS4 is an amazing console and really enjoyed it's run. Hopefully that feeling continues with the PS5.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Some decent sales on PSN just went up.
    Control for under 20$ (If you're 'Murican), For the King and Stellaris.
    I had been waiting for the version 2.2 update before picking up Stellaris, and that finally dropped last month.

I just had flashbacks of No Mans Sky, playing it every 6 months or so and having to relearn what the game was about. Even the names of the resources had changed, not to mention my lush home planet had somehow turned into an arctic wasteland after one update. Just funny how a game can become something else these days.

Also the Castlevania Rondo of Blood + Symphony of the Night bundle is $5 right now.

Regarding the Dark Souls discussion, the limited respawning enemies in DS2 was a terribly implemented mechanic because you can't choose to enable/disable it. It's like being forced to use the gold tanuki suit in Mario 3D World. And no, the shrine of champions made the whole game even more difficult to actual bullshit levels. I want the regular difficulty but don't make me end up in an empty level because I died too many times. Using a bonfire ascetic did respawn enemies, but it also made them harder as well.

Satsumomo on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah the PS3 wasn't very good in my eyes but the PS4 is an amazing console and really enjoyed it's run. Hopefully that feeling continues with the PS5.
    My Lovely Partner (who is a part-time casual gamer) is pushing me to pre-order a launch day PS5 so it's clearly getting good press in the right places.

26904.png
    edited June 2020
    I can't see any difference between Assassin's Creed Odyssey Gold Edition and Assassin's Creed Odyssey Ultimate Edition (besides a base price difference of 20 dollars). Am I missing something?

Kalnaur on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I can't see any difference between Assassin's Creed Odyssey Gold Edition and Assassin's Creed Odyssey Ultimate Edition (besides a base price difference of 20 dollars). Am I missing something?

Deluxe has the extra "day one" crap, like swords/armor and the like. Gold has all that and the season pass.

Sad thing is I actually had to double check as I had Gold and Deluxe mixed up. Bloody stupid naming system. But Gold is what you want if you want "everything".

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited June 2020

Deluxe has the extra "day one" crap, like swords/armor and the like. Gold has all that and the season pass.

Sad thing is I actually had to double check as I had Gold and Deluxe mixed up. Bloody stupid naming system. But Gold is what you want if you want "everything".

Right, but this isn't Deluxe I'm talking about, this is "Ultimate". And the description for the product is, as near as I can tell after reading it twice, exactly a copy of the description for Gold.

Edit: I found a difference in the description:

ACO Gold:
    Get two new stories across six episodes in the season pass, and Assassin's Creed® III Remastered for 4K and HDR upon its release.
    ACO Ultimate:
    Get powerful gear, two new stories across six episodes in the season pass, and Assassin's Creed® III Remastered for 4K and HDR upon its release.

Kalnaur on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    ...Hah. Not only did I forget the Ultimate edition, not only did I not even see it when I double checked, I even bought the damn Ultimate edition (it was on sale last week for about the same price). Jesus fuck this naming...

Wow, okay looking at it, yeah I couldn't tell you the difference. My gut reaction is gear you'll never even use or look at come mid-game.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    AC3 ruined the rest of the series for me
    Oh that guy whose arc you’ve been following for three games now? Dead. None of it mattered. Byeeeee

...Hah. Not only did I forget the Ultimate edition, not only did I not even see it when I double checked, I even bought the damn Ultimate edition (it was on sale last week for about the same price). Jesus fuck this naming...

Wow, okay looking at it, yeah I couldn't tell you the difference. My gut reaction is gear you'll never even use or look at come mid-game.

I dug even further and found the full answer on the Ubisoft website! Ultimate is essentially Gold edition + Deluxe Edition! Otherwise stated, Ultimate is the Standard Edition + The Season Pass material + the Deluxe Edition content.

See, Ubisoft, that wasn't hard.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Oh that guy whose arc you’ve been following for three games now? Dead. None of it mattered. Byeeeee

Three games? AC3 was the fifth game about that guy...

I went from a buy-the-annual-AC plus play-the-spinoff-games guy to "nope, Assassin's Creed is dead to me" for about 5 years after that ending.

I've come back to it, and most of the games since then have been very good, but that was a really cruddy way to close out that storyline. I still want my
    Desmond kicking arse in the modern day like they had been hinting at for years

game, damnit.

I went from a buy-the-annual-AC plus play-the-spinoff-games guy to "nope, Assassin's Creed is dead to me" for about 5 years after that ending.

I've come back to it, and most of the games since then have been very good, but that was a really cruddy way to close out that storyline. I still want my

game, damnit.

See, the thing was that
    They claimed there'd never be a modern day AssCreed game and that it wasn't interesting to them to make that
    and I took them at their word, so the ending of AssCreed III was totally enjoyable for me. My only disappointment in the . . . two games? I've played in the series since then is their centering the modern game stuff on faceless folks instead of giving us a new, modern character to follow.

But then I go and stab someone from the underbrush and I feel better.

Stab them in-game. Of course. No real world stabbings.
    The bleed effect hasn't gotten to me yet. :razz:

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The worst part about Ubisofts naming of different editions where Ultimate is supposed to be all-in-one box, is I then get them confused with other devs that do the same thing to their game.

Pretty sure one game has 3 versions of Collector's, Ultimate and Legendary or some stupid thing.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

game, damnit.

See, the thing was that
    They claimed there'd never be a modern day AssCreed game and that it wasn't interesting to them to make that
    and I took them at their word, so the ending of AssCreed III was totally enjoyable for me. My only disappointment in the . . . two games? I've played in the series since then is their centering the modern game stuff on faceless folks instead of giving us a new, modern character to follow.

But then I go and stab someone from the underbrush and I feel better.

Stab them in-game. Of course. No real world stabbings.
    The bleed effect hasn't gotten to me yet. :razz:

I didn't see that quote about AC3, but I don't consume a lot of games media. If they didn't want to do one, then the Desmond missions in III are just the world's worst tease.

Origins and Odyssey have a very enjoyable modern-day character. Sadly the stuff you actually DO with the modern-day character is mostly walk around and check your email. Like Assassin's Creed III if you never left the spooky precursor cave.

You may do more than that further on in Odyssey but I have only played like 20 hours so I am maybe a quarter of the way through the game.

It's kinda big.

I didn't see that quote about AC3, but I don't consume a lot of games media. If they didn't want to do one, then the Desmond missions in III are just the world's worst tease.

Origins and Odyssey have a very enjoyable modern-day character. Sadly the stuff you actually DO with the modern-day character is mostly walk around and check your email. Like Assassin's Creed III if you never left the spooky precursor cave.

You may do more than that further on in Odyssey but I have only played like 20 hours so I am maybe a quarter of the way through the game.

It's kinda big.

Yeah, I'm still back in Unity and Syndicate, then I've got Origins waiting after that. I really enjoy the series, but for the longest time I just . . . didn't have the oomph to run Unity, and I *twitchtwitch* have to play the games in order. It's a thing.

I'll keep an eye out for the Ultimate version of AssCreedOdy to hit at least 30 bucks again, because I also specifically prefer to get the "all-in-one" versions of the AssCreed series in particular for reasons.

As far as the games media thing, I'm not a consumer of it either, I found the quote because I looked up something to the effect of "when are they making a modern AssCreed?" and the answer was never, that's boring. We want our stabbings in the past. Now go play Watch_Dogs. (Okay, so that last part I added myself. :lol:)

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Hey let's give Ted some credit
    it's possible he's responsible for three apocalypses - we never did learn where the signal to unchain Hades came from. All things being equal, I suspect Ted, somehow, someway, did this.

I'm always a bit confused with Ted, he's apparently not a
    tech genius but a business genius, so I'm not sure how he would have engineered a way to survive, but I too am firmly of the belief that Ted is either a cyborg monstrosity or an AI that has determined the new world needs purging again.
    He’s a legit tech genius, just not to the level of Sobeck. It’s why he’s able to destroy the world twice. [\spoiler]

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Started Concrete Genie. I'm finding it quite pleasant and delightful, and I'm loving the art style.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky