As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wait, this isn't a Homeworld game? [Hardspace: Shipbreaker]

webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the InternetRegistered User regular
edited June 2020 in Social Entropy++
5u66b9lgompa.jpg

From the Steam Store Page:

c5lfflcwrdtt.jpg

As the image suggests, this game takes place in a late late stage capitalist society where earth has been abandoned as the slum of the solar system. Life is hard, opportunity is rare and it just kind of sucks. You are one of the lucky few to be picked by the Lynx corporation as a ship breaker. A hardworking blue collar schlub who's task is to break down old decommissioned ships into their separate components and salvage, recycle and incinerate as required.

There's a catch though! While you got off planet, you're an indentured laborer with a Billion dollars of debt accrued to the Lynx corporation. You'll be paid well for your work, but also be charged for the privilege. Everything costs money; your air, your equipment rental fees. Repair kits and jetpack fuel to boot. If you fuck up and die? Well that will cost you too. Besides your labor, Lynx owns the rights to your body and mind and you don't get to leave until you've paid your debt, however much time, and however many bodies that takes.

So this game is still in Early Access, and I bet we'll see all kinds of changes. Game play tweaks, additional ship makes and models, story and who knows what else. One nice thing though is that it's only $20 and I certainly feel that I've gotten my moneys worth already. So dip your toes in, try it for a few hours, and who knows, either you'll love it right away or you can tuck it away until it comes out of early access to experience the finished product.

Here's a nice section on tips and tricks that every green behind the ears ship breaker should read. A big one the game doesn't explain at all is that you can hold onto walls and other surfaces with your off hand! It's super goddamn useful.

TIPS AND TRICKS

Here's some youtube videos too! Just to round everything out.

https://youtu.be/9DJz_H9bwPo

https://youtu.be/dELZimcbC9o

Now get out there Ship Breaker, that debt's not going to pay itself.

Steam ID: Webguy20
Origin ID: Discgolfer27
Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
webguy20 on

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So what are folks thoughts on Multiplayer? Yea/Nay? I think it would be super cool to be able to work with other cutters to strip a ship. The level of calamity that could ensue would be awesome as well. Working happily away stripping seats out of a passenger section when suddenly your thrown out of the ship because your coworker accidentally ruptured a fuel line? I think there could be a lot of fun to be had.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I think it would be really cool to see how quick a team of spacers could dismantle something. One dude crawls in to cut things free, the others start tethering the hull plates.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I appreciate the hell out of the soundtrack in this game

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I would like to see bigger ships with internal airlocks, so you could cut away sections, like the fore section, and keep it pressurized while you cut up the cargo hold. Then you could pop in to recharge your oxygen and things like that, or to facilitate salvage by multiple cutters.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I realised that there’s a reel-in function on the grapple and I’ve now clocked myself in the face with chairs about a thousand times

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    here's a tip:

once you get into class four ships you should start using the big asterisk-looking things floating around to help you move bigger parts of the ship around; it's easy to lose big hull pieces in the furnace otherwise

Veldrin wrote: »
    I realised that there’s a reel-in function on the grapple and I’ve now clocked myself in the face with chairs about a thousand times

I use the reel in function mostly to hustle to and from the hab and ship. You shave a lot of precious seconds doing it that way.

I do the same thing you do. I reel it in and conk myself. I forget I can use push if it's coming in too fast.

I would like to see, amongst other things, more variety in the disassembly arenas. Different configurations of receptacles and anchor jacks.

Tynnan wrote: »
    I would like to see, amongst other things, more variety in the disassembly arenas. Different configurations of receptacles and anchor jacks.

Speaking of, have you used the jacks to tether things to to pull them away from the work area? I haven't messed with them too much.

Yeah, it’s handy starting with geckos. I use them to keep the tail hull sections from burning up in furnaces, and to align the cockpit towards the recycling barge for easy component removal.

Ohh just saw on the roadmap that the game is going to have acts 2 & 3 for a roughly 40 hour gameplay experience. So that would lead me to believe that "something" will happen in game that will cut the debt repayment short, which is good. If you could get 10mil from every 15 minute shift it would take 100 hours to repay the debt.

"More Ships, Tools, Upgrades and Perks

• Additional VO for Audio logs and found narrative
    • Additional Game Modes
    • Additional Certification levels

• Sticker and Decal Collecting

• Act 2 and ACT 3 of the Campaign for 40+ hours in total"

edited June 2020
    I am loving this. Definitely hoping for some more ship designs and layouts, more story, more everything really. Also, extended tutorials about fuel lines and stuff. Had some disasters before I figured those out. (also, how do the ship keys keep ending up in the bulkheads?)

Stuff I love:
    - Crawling around in the hull of a ship, cutting the hull plates free like I am about to peel a shrimp.
    - Tethering the reactor right down into the barge for sweet sweet profit
    - Dismantling a ship down to nothing.
    - This
    6YlzlB3.jpg?1

Obviously it's early access, but there is some wonkiness that has taken me time to figure out:
    - Fuses are buggy atm. Even if you eject them correctly, touching them launches you. Usually right back to the fusebox, which is amusing. It's like it aims you right to where it popped from. Best to leave them be until your next shift. They are usually safe then. Usually.

- You can burn away the support beams surrounding internal panels to pull them out in one piece, BUT, if anything is attached to them on the other side it can lock them down. Example, if there is a computer monitor in a ceiling corner, I think it counts as a hard-connect between both walls and the ceiling, until you pull it out. Same thing happens sometimes with external hull plates on small ships, if there is a connected fuel tank inside them. Hopefully they can sort that out because it feels much better to peel off a whole wall from the outside to get at the goods inside.

-Airlocks kind of mess up dismantling. They don't really disassemble easily. I wish there was a way to pop them out in one piece, or saw free the doors in a cleaner way.

- Not sure why there isn't a barge both above and below you, so you can yoink stuff in either direction. Honestly, above might be better, considering the layouts of some ships. Cargo geckos, for example, have cargo doors on top... so why wouldn't the ships be arranged so the barge was on that side? Maybe we can eventually unlock that.

- The 'days' time limit doesn't seem to be enforced, aside from making sure you earn enough to cover your expenses for the shift. Also, clearly placeholder numbers because just getting the minimum objectives on a Gecko takes me way more than three shifts sometimes. Hoping they re-balance those if they start enforcing the time limits per ship. Maybe set priorities for the objectives? Like, you must get the reactor and power cell in X days, everything else is bonus.

MuddBudd on
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I am loving this. Definitely hoping for some more ship designs and layouts, more story, more everything really. Also, extended tutorials about fuel lines and stuff. Had some disasters before I figured those out. (also, how do the ship keys keep ending up in the bulkheads?)

Stuff I love:
    - Crawling around in the hull of a ship, cutting the hull plates free like I am about to peel a shrimp.
    - Tethering the reactor right down into the barge for sweet sweet profit
    - Dismantling a ship down to nothing.
    - This
    6YlzlB3.jpg?1

Obviously it's early access, but there is some wonkiness that has taken me time to figure out:
    - Fuses are buggy atm. Even if you eject them correctly, touching them launches you. Usually right back to the fusebox, which is amusing. It's like it aims you right to where it popped from. Best to leave them be until your next shift. They are usually safe then. Usually.

- You can burn away the support beams surrounding internal panels to pull them out in one piece, BUT, if anything is attached to them on the other side it can lock them down. Example, if there is a computer monitor in a ceiling corner, I think it counts as a hard-connect between both walls and the ceiling, until you pull it out. Same thing happens sometimes with external hull plates on small ships, if there is a connected fuel tank inside them. Hopefully they can sort that out because it feels much better to peel off a whole wall from the outside to get at the goods inside.

-Airlocks kind of mess up dismantling. They don't really disassemble easily. I wish there was a way to pop them out in one piece, or saw free the doors in a cleaner way.

- Not sure why there isn't a barge both above and below you, so you can yoink stuff in either direction. Honestly, above might be better, considering the layouts of some ships. Cargo geckos, for example, have cargo doors on top... so why wouldn't the ships be arranged so the barge was on that side? Maybe we can eventually unlock that.

- The 'days' time limit doesn't seem to be enforced, aside from making sure you earn enough to cover your expenses for the shift. Also, clearly placeholder numbers because just getting the minimum objectives on a Gecko takes me way more than three shifts sometimes. Hoping they re-balance those if they start enforcing the time limits per ship. Maybe set priorities for the objectives? Like, you must get the reactor and power cell in X days, everything else is bonus.

I kind of like the concept that as an airlock, you don't want it to disassemble easily. It is the access to the cold quiet death that is space. It should be one of the toughest things in the ship. I will say it is certainly.... Fiddly to get them loose though, for sure.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    at this point I don't even bother, I just throw the entire frame into the furnace

Shorty wrote: »
    at this point I don't even bother, I just throw the entire frame into the furnace

I usually don't even bother going after the frames. Depends on how much time I have left.

also what's the right way to deal with fuses? I tried just interacting with one and it shocked me

also what's the right way to deal with fuses? I tried just interacting with one and it shocked me

I think someone said in the PC games thread that they are on a blink timer, like they go blink, blink, blink, null, and are good to pull on null. I haven't gotten to them yet though so YMMV. Also I think they are a bit bugged too, I've read about a ton of weird interactions with them.

I just rip out the power supply and ignore the fuses

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

It goes 1-2-3-off in a certain rhythm. Use it when it’s off.

If you’ve got work orders for a bunch of electronics or furniture, I recommend pulling off the entire floor and just shooting everything straight down.

edited June 2020
    Fuses do count as electric components, if you need those. However, as I mentioned before they are buggy, so it's probably better to pop them (safely) and then ignore them or toss them in the processor.

Not taking the fuses out before you pop the power supply means there is a high chance for large electrical discharge, although I've yet to see that so maybe that hasn't been implemented yet.

MuddBudd on
    I should write in to request that the pull from the furnace be tuned down a little. Right now it’s really easy to lose rear hull pieces to it.

Popping off the panel to the ECU and removing the three coolant things inside seems to drain the coolant lines.

I wish you could buy keys or that every ship had one somewhere. I’m dreading running out.

There’s should be a visor upgrade for expected value. I’ve been pulling chairs out but I’m not sure it’s worth it. I should also pay more attention to the end of shift report.

I haven’t found a way to prevent all the atmosphere losses as you open interior rooms. Equalizing pressure closes all doors on the ship, so it’s not as simple as that. It may not be worth the effort. As long as you’re not cutting into a pressurized room, it just whooshes out without exploding.

Also the bump key should 100% not be the same key to pick up O2 tanks and hard drives and ah shit now that hard drive is in Cleveland.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I only JUST figured out that the scanner has multiple modes. Whoops.

Also does anyone have a safe way to depressurize the multiple rooms of the class 4s?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

the way I've been doing it is, I close the airlocks, go to every regulator I can find and set them to depressurized, then open every internal door, then cycle the airlocks again

I've found that the whoosh of air from a pressurized small room isn't so bad. I wish I could do it cleaner but I think at some point it's not worth the trouble.

I only JUST figured out that the scanner has multiple modes.

That's another thing I didn't know.

I only JUST figured out that the scanner has multiple modes.

That's another thing I didn't know.

The extra one you can buy is super useful too. It colors things by system (electrical, fuel, coolant, etc.) so you can easily see stuff like fuses and power units.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    How do you switch modes?

Dunno about keyboard, but it's LB/RB on controller.

Purchase the extra scanner modes in the upgrades once it’s available, and use scroll wheel while you’re using the scanner.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    You know what's really satisfying? Cutting the whole side of a ship and chain-tethering each section together so they all rip free and float into the processor in sequence.

I've never had any luck doing that and it's not more tether-efficient than just connecting each one to the processor individually, so I just do that

I've never had any luck doing that and it's not more tether-efficient than just connecting each one to the processor individually, so I just do that

I think there are tether strength upgrades that help. It can be a bit faster to chain link, as you only need to make one connection to the processor.

edited June 2020
    The issue I run into when I try that is there will often be one or more of those tethers that dissolve because one panel turned the wrong way

I could spend the time to set them up so that's not an issue, but at that point why not just yank the sections out one by one?

Tynnan on
    edited June 2020
    Fuses aren't bugged... I think?

I am about 99% certain you just need to be grounded when you grab them.

-edit-

Or at least attached to something, so the weird physics bug doesn't try to push you back to where the fuse was mounted.

MuddBudd on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    God. I can not wait for when they allow rebinding keys. Having the pick up and force push on the same key has caused me to destroy so many ships. I try to grab a coolant canister and accidentally shoot it into the back wall, causing a chain reaction that destroys the ship.

JUST LET ME HAVE DIFFERENT KEYS FOR THOSE TWO ACTIONS.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Fuses aren't bugged...

I am about 99% certain you just need to be grounded when you grab them.

If I shut off the fuse correctly, it just pops out and I can pick it up like a data drive.

God. I can not wait for when they allow rebinding keys. Having the pick up and force push on the same key has caused me to destroy so many ships. I try to grab a coolant canister and accidentally shoot it into the back wall, causing a chain reaction that destroys the ship.

JUST LET ME HAVE DIFFERENT KEYS FOR THOSE TWO ACTIONS.

I think there is limited keybinding if you mess with the config file.

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    My first several shifts I thought the day counter in the catalogue was telling me how many shifts I had to complete the work order. Turns out that was just letting me know how many shifts it would be available in the catalogue. I figured out how to finish a work order in a Mackerel and come out with $1.5 to $2 million in one shift and then learned I was rushing things when I didn't have to.

So now I go into a Gecko and don't mind ending a shift with a loss because I know how much money is in the Reactor, Thrusters and Power Generator.