As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile] Sentinel League starts 05/13. Pokebots and uber bosses!

SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
edited May 2022 in Games and Technology
10472405015_2a0c5e457a_o.jpg

Path of Exile is a Free to Play action RPG with a large amount of character customization and playstyles. The developers have stated that they will never add "Pay-to-Win" features to the in-game store and generally the store contains cosmetic micro-transactions as well as some very useful account upgrades. It's not uncommon to see Path of Exile be cited as an example of Free-to-Play "done right".

The gameplay is similar to other ARPGs although it can be a little slow to start. Builds are often very involved and can include several unique items that play off one another to create powerful effects. There are three sub-classes for each of the main classes along with a massive passive tree that allows players to tune builds to their liking.

Current Content:

Useful Links:
The Unofficial Wiki.
The developer's player trading index site.
A third party player trading index site.
An online passive tree planner.
A calculator to help you figure out the most efficient way to recolor your item sockets with chromatic orbs.
The official forums.
An economic snapshot/price tracker tool.

Trading:
For the majority of players trading is facilitated by looking for items on Path of Exile's main website here: http://pathofexile.com/trade. Once an item a player wants is found, they can whisper the seller (usually by clicking a link on the search page which auto-copies a message that can be pasted in the game client) to see if a trade can be made. Sometimes this process is quick and easy, other times it is extremely frustrating. The developers have been teasing about improvements to this system for some time, but at the moment any concrete information is absent.

To have items appear on poe.trade a player can purchase a premium stash from the in game store and then elect to have the contents of that stash tab be public which will allow indexers to see the items as well as any prices the owner may have set on those items. It is also possible to list items for sale without premium stash tabs, this can be done using a third party application: either Acquisition or Procurement. These tools can look through the items in your stash tabs and then auto-generate text to either be pasted in, or automatically posted to a sale thread on the forums. The sale thread will then be read by the indexer sites mentioned previously.

It's also possible to trade via trade chat or by trying to buy/sell things on the forums, but doing this is incredibly difficult and time consuming and not recommended. New players will also almost certainly be taken advantage of in either of those places immediately.

It's totally viable to play the entire game without trading at all. Many players do this, some use the newly added SSF (solo self found) feature which has a separate ladder and makes it impossible for the player to group or trade with others. Players can opt out of SSF mode at anytime, though they will be removed from the SSF ladder.

PA Guild:
There is a forum guild; to be invited, post one of your character names in the thread.

If you are a member of the guild, feel free to use the guild stash as you like, I generally put items in there that I would like anyone to take, and I assume most people do the same.

Many thanks to mccart and Rius for the OP!

Steam: Spawnbroker
Spawnbroker on

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Do you need to be online to get a guild invite, or would it be waiting? I can be back on soon either way.

My slambro is named BonkNoggin

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    Do you need to be online to get a guild invite, or would it be waiting? I can be back on soon either way.

If I see a guild officer on, I'll let them know. I think they can send invites while you're offline, though, not sure

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    The only thing poetrade has over the pathofexile/trade is actually being able to type in % mana reserved instead of having to type in some weird max -% additional mana reserved.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    live again if anyone wants to see some early maps smashing

J3qcnBP.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    38thDoe wrote: »
    The only thing poetrade has over the pathofexile/trade is actually being able to type in % mana reserved instead of having to type in some weird max -% additional mana reserved.

Yeah, but the official site can use open crafting affixes as a search parameter. Also, a lot less instances of items that were sold weeks ago still being listed.

Edit: Also, why do I always forget there is a trial in the crypt and zoom past it?

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »

Yeah, but the official site can use open crafting affixes as a search parameter. Also, a lot less instances of items that were sold weeks ago still being listed.

Edit: Also, why do I always forget there is a trial in the crypt and zoom past it?

b4emrsasxxbw.png

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Bumping new thread, maybe call someone to close the old

• mccartmccart Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »

I invited you Noggin

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    First the scourge ive seen is 2ex heh.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    EQ truckin' along.

The crafting is absolutely nuts and does make leveling so much easier. You really should be doing your garden as you level, or you miss out on a lot of power spikes. Especially for builds that rely on weapons, you can keep your power spikes consistent as you pickup new bases.

Also, which probably should have been obvious, but Second Wind does affect Warcries. So slap your warcries into your Dash link, and now you have 2 Warcry charges and reduced CD on your warcries. Makes keeping constant Exerts available trivial.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Is dash better than leap slam if I pay the tax?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    its annoying u cant see exert damage factored on tooltips tho

obF2Wuw.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

I paid the tax and still had Leap Slam use up exert charges. So I concluded it broke, and went with Dash.

Characters
    Aegis wrote: »

I paid the tax and still had Leap Slam use up exert charges. So I concluded it broke, and went with Dash.

I haven't been looking that closely. Interesting.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    So I'm behind but now that I have my Spellslingers linked up oooooooo ladies and gents.

I'm not tanky yet though, that's for damn sure.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    So I'm behind but now that I have my Spellslingers linked up oooooooo ladies and gents.

necro or elementalist?

cause necro gets tanky, and ele can take stone and chaos golem to kinda get there a little

edited June 2020
    Got fist of war, and finally picked up my ascendancy for War Bringer, and it feels a little better. Cry Wolf gem would go a long ways, but it'll likely be a while being ssf.
    Aegis wrote: »

It's not consuming them for me, so maybe they fixed it?

Brody on

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    this crafting system needs to be made the base crafting system. It is just so much more enjoyable than the others.

Oh ya, the crafting is real good so far. I have to redo my layout though I think, to facilitate tier 2 seeds.

It seems like maybe it’s better to wait until the full block is ready than to harvest at every prompt.

Early I don't think it matters. By act 5 or 6 maybe you'll want to start stacking, with the caveat that stacking like that will sometimes waste crafts.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    So far Archmage Arc has turned into completely deleting stuff in clear. Boss DPS leaves a bit to be desired but it's not too bad.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Man, timing Ice Crash to line up with the fifth seismic hit and a Fist of War proc is ridiculous, I keep worrying one of the ice spikes is going to poke me in the eye through the monitor.

PiptheFair wrote: »

necro or elementalist?

cause necro gets tanky, and ele can take stone and chaos golem to kinda get there a little

I'm a Necro, but I have only done normal lab and am at act 6, so I'm not too worried.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

necro or elementalist?

I'm a Necro, but I have only done normal lab and am at act 6, so I'm not too worried.

I was definitely worried about lack of damage endgame, so I went with elementalist. I am rather squishy though, so I'll probably need a Devouring Diadem at some point and pick up MoM, then I can also run Blood and Sand if I get the right helm enchant (expensive as hell, though)

Damage is looking good for now in low tier maps, but survivability is gonna be my big issue. Not sure if a Necro has enough damage to do high tier maps or not, maybe elementalist wasn't necessary!

By the way, Armageddon Brand also had it's damage effectiveness buffed in 3.11 by 15%, so that's been my single target skill instead of Firestorm. It works great, try it out!

I was thinking of going jugg, but noticed that the new Valako gives endurance charges after war cries. I’m liking tectonic best anyway, and these warcies are ridiculous, so I picked chieftain. Burninating all the people.

I wonder how hard it will be to craft mana leach on a jewel?

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I wonder how hard it will be to craft mana leach on a jewel?

if all you care about is mana leech, pretty easy; expected under a hundred alts. If you want a damage mod too, probably a few hundred alts, depending on how wide a range of damage mods are good for you. If you want mana leech with either life or energy shield, it will have to be rare because all three mods are prefixes. Crafting one of those is difficult.

EDIT: This is based on alt-crafting, obviously; I don't know enough about garden crafting jewels yet, but I anticipate you'll want to craft a mana leech jewel then try to life-slam it, if you want a mana-leech/life jewel.

DOUBLE EDIT: notably, only green (viridian) jewels can roll mana leech.

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    I mean, I'm ssf for now, so I'll take what I can get, but having these shouts tied to second wind is eating my mana pool fast.

Leech on boots lab enchant is almost always super helpful too.

Characters
    Scion Quake is real.

And apparently the hidden secret was impale

I like the idea of the league mechanic but jumping fuck almighty would it be better to have a top-down perspective for setting things up and then doing the battles in the normal isometric.

Did you take the new notable?

Did you take the new notable?

I didnt yet but I probably should, esp for bossing.

Sure, just wondering with people expressing concern over it triggering off of the initial EQ, and not the aftershock.

An exalt from my first Metamorph, at level 70? Haha yeah why not haha.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    OK so Stormfire Arc Ignite idea is dead after updating POB, the nerfs were even stronger.

This Wintertide Brand thing though.......

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Sure, just wondering with people expressing concern over it triggering off of the initial EQ, and not the aftershock.

I didnt think it would, doesnt match the mechanics that are laid out.

I will say tho, EQ is really good with Rage generation.

edited June 2020

I didnt think it would, doesnt match the mechanics that are laid out.

I will say tho, EQ is really good with Rage generation.

Why wouldn't it skip the aftershock? If the first hit triggers an impale, it can't be impaled again for 4 seconds?

Brody on

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    anybody got a medium cluster with fire damage over time? i have whispered about 40 people for one and not a single response and im losing my hair from the poe trading experience

also if u link cast on crit to infernal cry it causes the combust triggered attack to cast those spells on crit. worth notin as can be used to curse (with curse on hit if you like) or do various memes

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png