As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Growlanser Series: All's fair in love and war

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited June 2020 in Games and Technology
RPGFan.com wrote:
Atlus today announced Growlanser VI: Precarious World for PlayStation 2. The newest installment in the long-running RPG series promises significantly improved visuals and systems. Satoshi Urushihara is once again serving as character designer, while Japanese songstress Chata is performing the game's opening theme.
Growlanser VI: Precarious World will be available in Japan on June 21st for 6,980 yen ($59.10 USD).

I guess Atlus better hurry on up with V if they're really localizing it.

I don't think there's any imagery yet, but I'll add it in if I find any.

Working Designs localized a lot of good stuff before they finally bit the dust in 2005.

So fortunately, upon releasing their final game in 2004, they out went with a bang.

GG.jpgGGa.jpg

Growlanser Generations brought over the latest two releases in a hugely popular Japanese Strategy RPG series that, until then, had never seen this side of the globe.

Taking a risk like that was arguably one of the things that lead to the company's untimely demise, but that's a tale for another time.

Growlanser was developed by the team behind the similarly long-running Langrisser series(which is also more or less doomed to stay in Japan, with the exception of the first, localized[and heavily reworked] as Warsong), Career Soft.

Atlus publishes the series in Japan, but for whatever reason, it was Working Designs who decided to release II & III over here.

Since the first Growlanser never has been(and probably never will be) localized, Growlanser Generations offered a little summary on the game for the uninitiated, but it'll probably still leave most players in the dark.

Growlanser

G1a.jpg
(It began as a Playstation game, but this appears to be the best example of cover art at the moment.)

The first Growlanser focuses on Carmaine, a swordsman caught up in an ongoing war within the kingdoms of Rolandia, Burnstein, and Vanzack, who is also capable of wielding the energy known as Grow(which connects the current world with that of the previous world from where its residents came).

Carmaine and several other characters from the first Growlanser also make appearances in Growlanser II, though much of their history has to be studied by collecting stories hidden throughout the game.

I haven't played Growlanser, but II does offer a decent amount of backstory on the first game in the series, so it's a start if nothing else.

I'm pretty sure the gameplay is the same as it is in the second and third games, but in case it isn't, I'll expand on that in more detail later on.

There's around eight playable characters in the original, so here's a few choice images of the key players(who also have significant roles in Growlanser II).

It's also worth noting that the character design/artwork in each Growlanser game was handled by Satoshi Urushihara, whose creations are ridiculously detailed if nothing else.
Carmaine Fallsmyer
carmaine.jpg

General Wallace
wallace.jpg

Xenos Langley
xenos.jpg

Some say that Growlanser remains the best in the series(at least compared to the second and third releases), though whether you buy into that or not, what followed wouldn't exist without it.

Working Designs had originally planned on releasing each half of Generations separately, since both II & III stand on their own perfectly well(each having multiple endings, paths, and unlockables).

Sony however, in their infamous resentment of all things 2D, wasn't about to allow that.

As such, II & III were forced together into one collection: Generations.

Two epics for the price of one? Works for me, even if it sadly didn't work out so well for them.
There was also a Deluxe Edition of Generations, which included all manners of goodies such as a watch, a ring chain necklace, playing cards, and an OST, but it's all but impossible to find in a store now, so I'll leave that out as to not draw unnecessary temptation.

Growlanser II: The Sense of Justice

G2.jpg

Growlanser II follows the tale of young Wein Cruz, who enlists in the Burnstein Military in hopes of gaining the highest rank in the land: Imperial Knight.

As it goes, his training eventually gets him mixed up in a conflict greater than he ever planned on.

So, about that gameplay...

Don't worry, we're getting to that.

G2b1.jpg
G2b2.jpg

Growlanser's a Strategy RPG at heart, but it uses a unique action-esque system that doesn't rely on grids(similar to Phantom Brave, but more real-time driven).

Characters all move on their own time with individual speeds, being able to move across the entirety of the map in a single turn if they like.

As long as the dozen odd enemies in any given map don't get to kill him or her beforehand, that is.

Movement is handled in a sort of 'point'n'click' fashion, since their paths are determined by drawing a line(in up to four points) directing which way they'll go.

G2b3.jpg

If they run into an enemy along the way, they'll usually attack automatically.

The annoying thing is the characters don't always use the most common sense(as in not taking obvious paths around obstacles, or ignoring weaker enemies in favor of the one you had them target).

Also, once your party reaches eight characters(which is a lot), the game compensates by throwing upwards of 15-20 characters against you in a single map(which is worse).

Growlanser is not a permanent-death game(rest easy, Fire Emblem vets), but it's not quite that easy, either.

What's a good RPG without a little relationship drama?

annette1.jpg

The choices you make in conversation, path, and even battle determine not only the ending, but which(if any) of the characters Wein's ending revolves around at the end.

You'll probably have one of the female characters in mind, but for whatever deranged reason, the males are an option too.

The Players
Wein Cruz
wein.jpg

Trainee Knight of Burnstein, seeking to become an Imperial Knight, and becoming mixed up in numerous wars and relationship drama as a result.

Maximillian Schneider
maximillian.jpg
Enrolls with Wein at the Burnstein Academy. Max's aspirations aren't to fight wars, but to stop them before they even start by joining the aristocracy.

Charlone Claudius
charlone.jpg

Charlone is out to become what is roughly the female equivalent of the Imperial Knight: one of Julia Douglas' Unicorn Knights. Her aristocratic father isn't very fond of the idea, but since her aspirations are part of a promise to her sick brother, that's not about to stop her.

Hans Bearnt
hans.jpg

The quintessential annoying sidekick. Pretty much forces his way into Wein's crew to help out, but he also has the quickest long range attacks of anyone, so you'll probably be willing to put up with him.

Arieta Lyuis
arieta.jpg

A childhood friend of Wein's, who he hasn't seen in ten years. Sweet-hearted by nature, but she has a much darker alternate personality that comes and goes for unknown reasons.

Sereb
sereb.jpg

Arieta's guardian. Better with magic and physicals than most of the human characters, but that's up to whether or not he joins you.
[spoiler:defabe24ba]You have a choice between him and Arieta.[/spoiler:defabe24ba]

Riviera Marius
riviera.jpg

A mysterious woman who joins up halfway through the game.
Awesome with magic, and that's about it.

Ernest Lyell
ernest.jpg

An outcasted Imperial Knight. Whether he joins up or not determines on the path Wein takes.

Wolfgang
wolfgang.jpg

Leader of a group of mercenaries which aids just about any side in a given war. Deadly.

Brett Varner
brett.jpg

Basically just a generic soldier.
[spoiler:defabe24ba]He'll join if Ernest doesn't.[/spoiler:defabe24ba]
Great with physical and good with magic.

Growlanser II has the most paths to take as far as character relationships go, so it's awesome as that goes, though the second half of Generations mixes things up with some choice additions(and a much darker story).

Growlanser III: The Dual Darkness
G3.jpg
Opening

Growlanser III takes the series back in time to where everything began, before the events of the first Growlanser.

It basically tells the story of how the people living in the world of I & II arrived where they did.

The protagonist is a little-more open ended(here meaning 'you determine his personality from the ground up), but that's because he's an amnesiac.

Growlanser III has a smaller overall party(a maximum of five instead of eight), but it adds a few firsts to the series as well.

Growlanser II takes place on a world map much like FFT's: no explorable towns, just an overworld map linked between locations by lines.

Growlanser III has a overworld map which is travelled physically, and also explorable towns(this is something of a negative since it means a whole LOT of battles actually break out in the middle of town).

There's less characters than there are in II, but the female quotient was brought up a little, possibly to make up for it.

The Players
Slayn Wilder
slayn.jpg

The main character, an amnesiac. His personality and the path he takes is ultimately up to the player.

Annette Burns
annette.jpg

The daughter of the Xironia Federation's president. Meets Slayn during an ongoing war with a neighboring kingdom.

Raimy
raimy.jpg

A dark fairy that accompanies Slayn everywhere.

Hugh Foster

hugh.jpg

Think of him as II's Hans if he were ten years older, just less annoying, and overly forward. Not quite as easy to take at face value, though.

Monika Allenford
monika.jpg

A half Featherian, half human, outcasted by both species because of her mixed appearance. Better with long range than Hans.

Yayoi Tachibana
yayoi.jpg

A Spirit Messenger who joins up for unknown reasons(at first). Great with archery and magic.

Viktor Hugo
viktor.jpg

A Russian inventor with a deadly knack for long-range explosives. He's most helpful in the shop, but he comes in handy in a pinch also.

Michelle
michelle.jpg

A sickly girl forced to stay encased in her room because the outside air could kill her.

Clive
clive.jpg

A deadly assassin that constantly gets in Slayn's way.

Zion
zion.jpg

Another enigmatic figure, who comes and goes as he pleases.

If you like Growlanser II, Growlanser III is basically more of the same strategic goodness with a deeper story and even more interesting characters, but considering it basically amounts to a free game, it's definitely worth playing immediately after finishing II.

Growlanser Generations isn't as uncommon as you might think. I've seen it used locally all over the place. ($24.99 if memory serves)

The collector's edition? No chance.
(I paid $89.99 for it new. :| I shiver to think what the going rate is on Ebay.)

As for the rest of the series, well... even if Working Designs are done, Atlus isn't yet.

(See next post)

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The Imports

Growlanser IV : Wayfarer of the Time

G4.jpg
    G4a.jpg

The next installment of the series. I know almost nothing about the story or gameplay additions, but it's more Growlanser goodness, and I want it.

So since we can't talk story, here's some character art.
    Clay Vaniel
    clayvaniel.jpg
    The main character(I think).

Valeri
    valeri.jpg

Remus
    remus.jpg

Flene
    flene.jpg

Eliza
    eliza.jpg

But there may be a light at the end of the tunnel...

Growlanser V : Generations

G5.jpg

The first 3D Growlanser, released in Japan under six months ago.

G5b1.jpg

G5b2.jpg

Rumor has it that Atlus USA is considering it, so keep your fingers crossed.

I know even less about this than I do about IV, and while I want to play Wayfarer more, the character designs still look awesome, even if I have no idea what their names are.

G5c1.jpgG5c2.jpgG5c3.jpgG5c4.jpg

G5c5.jpgG5c6.jpgG5c7.jpgG5c8.jpg

And that's all I've got. If you're lucky enough to have played these too, discuss.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Who did the character designs? It looks oddly familiar.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Satoshi Urushihara. I'm by no means a fan of his work(he specializes in hentai, as I understand :|), but his art is gorgeous.

The only serieses I know offhand that he did were Legend of Lemnear and Plastic Little. A friend's a huge fan of his.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That's what I thought! Heh.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    One thing I have to say about this series is that those are some truly awesome weapon designs the main characters have.

Seriously. I want a huge scythe or dual-axes or other fun shit.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    One thing I have to say about this series is that those are some truly awesome weapon designs the main characters have.

Seriously. I want a huge scythe or dual-axes or other fun shit.

I want Slayn's sword.

The thing is bigger than he is.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really need to get around to starting III. The only thing holding me back is that you can port over all the characters you get the best ratings with in II, which requires at least two playthroughs and getting the best ending both times (which is easier said than done). If I remember correctly I'm actually at the last level on my second time through and I can beat it, but I'm too low of a level to beat it 'correctly' (plus I have generic soldier, who is no where near as good as the dog).

Hans is really, really overpowered. Annoying sidekick or not, he's always a staple of my army.

Invisible on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know why I like Wein? Because he uses a goddamn SCYTHE. YES. I LOVE scythe users and I especially love heroic scythe users. There is never enough scythe action. Also, I never played 3 but I did get almost all the female endings in 2. I think I stopped halfway through getting Riviera's. It's really difficult to get Charlone but I did it. Luckily, the game gets super easy when you have the ability to do things like fire a bow anywhere on the map so it's not too hard to get endings but the first time through, that game is pretty difficult. I never did the alternate path though. [spoiler:31cb22c462]The one where you betray everyone and you join Wolfgang. I think Hans stayed with you.[/spoiler:31cb22c462]
    Also Invisible, that is the exact reason I haven't started 3 yet. I want to port everybody. And yes, Hans is a beast if he can attack anywhere on the map.

Gilder on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    nice OP

I have nothing to add really except that I meant to get Generation like, right when it came out and just never got to it. Time to check ebay... I'd really like to get my hands on this.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I got the bad ending when I finished II, so I'm redoing it now to get Charlone's. I think if I keep a save before the 'date day' I'll have the option of getting whoever's ending I want(among the girls that is).

I also finished III... and I also got the bad ending. :? So I went back to II, and once I finish it, I'll redo III.

III is a lot tougher in some ways, since you have less members, but Monika is like Hans on speed.

And re: Wein's scythe...

G5c3.jpg

I think she wins. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Clive looks insane and amazing.

Must play!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is it weird that I've played through Growlanser 2 3 times but have yet to boot up the third game? I've always kinda meant to...

Growlanser 2 was incredibly fun though. Hans is the best character by alot. Its possible to set him up to have infinite range, attack through walls, and increase in power once an enemy dies. Hans ended up beating the end boss before my other characters could get to him.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I thought Growlanser 2 was by far the better game of the two we got in English due to having more characters, greater variety in mission goals, and the multiple story paths (Evil path for the win!). Even so, #3 did have its charms (more developed characters).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    *le sigh* Late to the party. Whatever.

I bought the Deluxe Edition back when it came out, but I actually only just played through both of these games a week or two ago.

Honestly, I found Growlanser 2 clunky, slow, and overall pretty unenjoyable. I mean, I liked the characters and whatever, but the story just didn't click with me, and a lot of the battles were more frustrating than anything (Let's see how they like dealing with 12 mages! Hiding behind walls! 500 yards away! :x ) Trying to control 8 characters became ridiculously stupid. And most of the time I'd find my melee characters tripping over each other/rocks/nothing at all. The enemy's mages seemed to cast spells twice as fast as my own... Enemies would come from behind, where my mage guys would sit, because y'know they're MAGES they're supposed to be in the backlines - and would be destroyed. With experience only going to the character who gets a kill, I found my Wein being many levels ahead of everyone else, and it was almost impossible to keep my team balanced.

All that out of the way, I really enjoyed Growlanser 3. They changed up pretty much everything I didn't like in Growlanser 2. Controlling only 4 characters makes battles more manageable. Distributing experience evenly to all party members after each battle kept my team balanced. There didn't seem to be as many "Ha ha, you can't reach us!" battles as the previous game. The story also just felt more coherent than Growlanser 2's, and just generally flowed better, I thought. Plus, the ability to wander and explore the world was rather nice.

I'd really like the chance to try out the other games in the series, and I'll probably import them eventually assuming someone doesn't localize them for us.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Cool. I don't know how, but I was able to pre-order Growlanser V from EB Games in Jan.

However the rest of this series is on my huge list of games to get.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ahh, the only artwork Urushihara has ever done where everyone keeps their clothes on. Other than some Chun-Li stuff.

Pb on
  • Options
    Shibbi BibbiShibbi Bibbi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, are there any higher resolution shots of Growlanser V? Every shot I've come across is so tiny. I'm rather curious how well Growlanser made the transition to 3d(Fire Emblem, anyone?). I really hope it's true that Atlus is bringing it over, and I would make sweet love to them if they released I or IV.

2 and 3 were great, though I liked 2 just a wee bit more.

Shibbi Bibbi on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The official Growlanser V webpage is full of stuff, but I don't know what half of the options lead to.

The Atlus JP page links to it.

The 3d looks cool and all, but I think I kind of prefer the 2d style. It was plenty chaotic enough.

Wow, GV has fully animated cutscenes. Classy.

More Jpop rock intro, too.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Shibbi BibbiShibbi Bibbi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ooh, trailers. Ooh, animated cutscenes. Hmm, character models look decent I suppose, although it's still hard to tell. Man, I'm really digging the character designs in this one.

Shibbi Bibbi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So hey, guess what.

Growlanser VI is coming.
    RPGFan.com wrote:
    Atlus today announced Growlanser VI: Precarious World for PlayStation 2. The newest installment in the long-running RPG series promises significantly improved visuals and systems. Satoshi Urushihara is once again serving as character designer, while Japanese songstress Chata is performing the game's opening theme.
    Growlanser VI: Precarious World will be available in Japan on June 21st for 6,980 yen ($59.10 USD).
    Source
    I guess Atlus better hurry on up with V if they're really localizing it.

I don't think there's any imagery yet, but I'll add it in if I find any.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    coming

but not to america :(

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Atlus is doing V, so we can hope. Once they bring over part of a series, they usually stay with it.

I think.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    It only took 13 years!

https://growlanser6english.blogspot.com/

GL5.png

English fan translation project for the PS2.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png